VFX Connect Clip Default Location

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

RedOrchid

VFX Connect Clip Default Location

PostMon Jan 20, 2020 10:12 pm

I feel like I found a ROTTEN Easter egg in the Resolve to Fusion Standalone workflow!

So the default save location (if you do not set a custom location for a VFX Connect Clip) in inside the CacheClip folder! The CacheClip is for all of the TEMPORARY files that resolve uses to render and speed up the timeline. So it is mind blowing to me that the comp files are saved here by default.

I cleared this folder (like is commonly suggested to clean up) and found that a few of my Comps that I had built in standalone are just gone. And I didn't have a back up because I didn't set the "temp render" folder to back up :weary:

This is NOT where other fusion comps are stored i.e. from the fusion page so why is this the default?

RedOrchid

Re: VFX Connect Clip Default Location

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 4:40 pm

I realize that my last message was a bit heated... so I thought I would offer some more helpful suggestions and thoughts...

I would think that having the default save location be RESOLVE-Compositions would be much more safe. Or at least RESOLVE-Capture? That would also be unexpected but at least the Capture folder would be the kind of media that if deleted would break the project.

If there was a database wide way to clean out the Cache that would help, but it is a very common practice in to manually clear out cache and preview files so I would humbly ask that this default be changed.

I get that I can get around this by manually setting the location per project but this as a default is asking for a disaster to happen.

Mark Aylward

PostWed Jun 10, 2020 2:09 am

At the time you create the VFX Connnect Clip there is a Dialogue... you have to tell it to use a "custom location", then browse to a place your prefer... I just discoverd this myself... so poorly designed... they should not make it a default to the cache... just stupid.
Mark Aylward

President
Dead Ringer Movies

Hendrik Proosa

PostWed Jun 10, 2020 7:52 am

There is a way more rotten egg in vfx connect and it is the UUID hash in one intermediate folder name. Hands up and shout hooray eveyone who doesn't like human-readable (or machine-readable by anything but Resolve) folder structures!
I do stuff

Kel Philm

PostWed Oct 20, 2021 10:06 pm

Has anyone played around with the Lua/Py interface in Resolve to see if they are able to change any of the VFX connect path/naming information? We use VFX connect a lot on big projects as it gives us the best of both worlds but it really needs a little bit of attention. For us it is by far the most robust/flexible way to integrate Fusion into Resolve but the lack of support for changing Fusion project parameters could very easily be addressed.

Sean Weaver

PostThu Oct 21, 2021 3:02 am

Thankfully I discovered this in time to avert disaster. In trying things out with a scrap project, I cleared the cache and the composition was gone
DR 18 Studio
macOS Monterey 12.7.2
MBP 16-Inch, 2019
2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel i9
32GB 2667 MHz DDR4
AMD Radeon Pro 5600M 8GB

severinm

PostThu Nov 04, 2021 12:37 pm

I just found out about this "easter egg", and had to redo several shots last night. This default behaviour should be fixed asap! I found this thread and realized that me deleting the cache was the reason all my shots suddenly had the green-screen background instead of the comprenders.

fastforward

PostTue Dec 28, 2021 7:22 pm

By default Resolve seems to render out VFX Connect clips at the timeline resolution. Is there a way to ask it to use the original resolution of the source media instead?

Return to DaVinci Resolve