Timeline keeps reloading when zooming in/out

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

DerPaule13

Timeline keeps reloading when zooming in/out

PostSun Feb 02, 2020 2:36 pm

I'm working with BRAW files. Those should play fairly well in DR. My windows machine is quite capable also.
Video monitoring is set to 720p 25fps.

When I have render caching enabled (auto) it takes a while until I can start editing, because DR is rendering the cache in the background. (No effects applied)

So while editing I turn render caching off. When opening a timeline, DR takes a while to load in all media from my server and as soon as all thumbnails in the timeline are visible I can start editing. (Way faster then with render cache)

The problem is that when I zoom in or out of the timeline, DR seems to delete all loaded media and starts loading it in again from scratch. So everytime I zoom in or out, or scrub to a clip which isn't visible yet on the timeline, I have to wait until that media has loaded.

I am not talking about lots of clips. In the current project I have about 10 clips (~ 5 - 10 min/clip) in my timeline.

I'm sure this is just a settings-issue, but I can't figure it out.

Thanks in advance for any help!
DR 18.5 B41 | Win10 Pro 64 bit | AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | 64 GB RAM | Nvidia GTX 3090 (24 GB) (SD 512.59) | NAS 1621+ w/ SSDs | NAS 1819+ w/ HDDs (DR PostgreSQL DB) | Network & Internet via 10GbE LAN | Avira Anitvirus

MikeMeagher

Re: Timeline keeps reloading when zooming in/out

PostSun Feb 02, 2020 10:01 pm

I notice too. That when I zoom in or out or scroll a timeline it seems to re render the little thumbnail size previews of the clips on the timeline. Seems to be an inefficienct process.
I too am unsure if there are some setting changes needed.
This happens to timeline using braw. Or gh5 or gopro regardless if optimized media was made or not.
Mike Meagher Filmmaker
Win10 64 pro I7 6core ASUS X99 64 GB RAM
M.2 system drive.
2x SSDs in Raid0 cache.
3x 7200 HHDs in raid0 as video source storage
Two EVGA1080TI cards 422.19 Studio
Decklink MiniM 15.1 4K HDMI to BENQ WS271
Resolve 16.1 studio

Jim Simon

PostSun Feb 02, 2020 10:33 pm

DerPaule13 wrote:takes a while to load in all media from my server

I've always found it best to work from internal drives.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

MikeMeagher

PostTue Feb 04, 2020 2:19 am

My media storage drive is an internal RAID0 of 3x discs..and my resolve cache drive is a SSD array..all verified by the speed test app to be ample. I too see this sluggish thumbnail refreshing too.
Mike Meagher Filmmaker
Win10 64 pro I7 6core ASUS X99 64 GB RAM
M.2 system drive.
2x SSDs in Raid0 cache.
3x 7200 HHDs in raid0 as video source storage
Two EVGA1080TI cards 422.19 Studio
Decklink MiniM 15.1 4K HDMI to BENQ WS271
Resolve 16.1 studio

DerPaule13

PostFri Feb 14, 2020 1:49 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
DerPaule13 wrote:takes a while to load in all media from my server

I've always found it best to work from internal drives.

Thanks for your input Jim. But some of our projects are just too big and copying all files to an internal drive for editing and then back again to the server afterwards is not efficient at all. Not even speaking of revisions down the line :)

Most of the time we are working with BRAW btw.

So if this is not a settings issue, I hope BD adresses this in the next updates. This really slows down editing for us, as we have to wait everytime for the thumbnails to appear again.
DR 18.5 B41 | Win10 Pro 64 bit | AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | 64 GB RAM | Nvidia GTX 3090 (24 GB) (SD 512.59) | NAS 1621+ w/ SSDs | NAS 1819+ w/ HDDs (DR PostgreSQL DB) | Network & Internet via 10GbE LAN | Avira Anitvirus

bitluni

PostTue Jun 16, 2020 5:13 pm

Hello, has this been resolved?

I'm using the latest studio version and the timeline performance is hell since I tend to zoom a lot.
I'm using thumb mode now.
Changing to plain mode is not an option since the height of the tracks get too limited (at least for an UHD screen at 100% scaling).

It really looks like the thumbnails are recalculated every time even though my system has like 64gb of ram left. I imagine it has to decode the media each time.
I'm working from an internal SSD and wouldn't mind if the thumbs would be stored there.

If any devs are reading this:
Please reconsider just giving the option to calculate thumbs only once with a big but fixed size and just scaling it while redering the time line. I don't mind if the thumb isn't optimal, I only need to identify the clip.
and please remove the limit of the track height in plain mode. That's an easy fix and it would improve the usability a lot not to try aiming the few pixels on a high res screen for a certain function of the cursor.

OlegCherr

PostThu Jun 24, 2021 3:21 pm

Same problem!
When I zoom the timeline, Resolve starts to re-generate all the clip thumbnails. It takes a lot of time. That makes it almost impossible to work in Resolve...
I think thumbnails should be cached someway.

OlegCherr

Charles Bennett

PostThu Jun 24, 2021 9:54 pm

Oleg, apart from posting the same thing all over the forum, you haven't bothered to post any details of your system which makes it difficult to offer any solution. I have given suggestions in one of your posts, however.
I can only repeat what I have posted elsewhere. On my system Thumbnails redraw instantly whether I use the zoom icons or Alt+mousewheel. This is with a wireless keyboard and mouse, and the Speed Editor connected by Bluetooth.
Resolve Studio 19.0b build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Roen Davis

PostThu Jun 24, 2021 11:01 pm

Charles! You went studio. Weren’t you non-studio for so long?
to the deaf person the dancer appears mad

Charles Bennett

PostFri Jun 25, 2021 1:50 pm

Well spotted Roen. :mrgreen: I've been on the free version for over 4 years and was finally in a position to upgrade and give BMD something back. I also now have the Speed Editor which has not only given me understanding of the methodology of the Cut page, but also made it very usable.
Resolve Studio 19.0b build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

OlegCherr

PostThu Jul 01, 2021 1:16 pm

Charles Bennett wrote:Oleg, apart from posting the same thing all over the forum, you haven't bothered to post any details of your system which makes it difficult to offer any solution. I have given suggestions in one of your posts, however.
I can only repeat what I have posted elsewhere. On my system Thumbnails redraw instantly whether I use the zoom icons or Alt+mousewheel. This is with a wireless keyboard and mouse, and the Speed Editor connected by Bluetooth.

As I mentioned in another post, I think the problem is not about my hardware. It's about thumbnails not being cached.

I'm posting the same thing in different topics because there is no promary topic about this issue, and I don't know which topic developers will see.

Return to DaVinci Resolve