Can't create new disk database Resolve 16 Win10

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

John Tarvin

Can't create new disk database Resolve 16 Win10

PostSun Feb 16, 2020 6:57 pm

Trying to create a new disk database. Made a new folder for it. When I try to create the database, I get error "Failed to create database because the directory does not allow read and/or write access. Please change permissions or choose a different directory".

Checked my previous disk database directories and they have same permissions as the new directory. This is VERY frustrating.

Would appreciate any help someone can offer. I'm using Studio version 16.1.2.026.

Thanks!!
Win 10 pro, I7 Hex Core, 3.5Ghz, 32Gb, Nvidia GTX 770 4Gb
Mavic 2 Pro, Phantom 4 Pro, Sony AX100, Nikon D810

Jim Simon

Re: Can't create new disk database Resolve 16 Win10

PostMon Feb 17, 2020 8:12 pm

Don't see that one much on Windows.

You're using an internal drive that is not the C: drive?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

John Paines

PostMon Feb 17, 2020 8:18 pm

And the disk is listed in system preferences, for media storage?

I wouldn't worry about the C:\ drive, there's no reason you can't locate a database there, but an external drive might present a problem.

Jim Simon

PostMon Feb 17, 2020 11:49 pm

My caution is more of a "good practice" issue than a technical one. I always recommend nothing but OS and programs on the C: drive. Makes it easier to do a clean install without messing things up.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

John Tarvin

PostMon Feb 17, 2020 11:52 pm

I have 3 Resolve databases (one per year) 2017-2019. All on an external drive P:

Went to create 2020resolve database in a folder on external drive P: and get that error message. It won't let me.

However, I can go to another external drive S: and it WILL create the database. Permissions the same on both drives. Guess I'll just start putting my yearly database on drive S: .... But it still ticks me off.
Win 10 pro, I7 Hex Core, 3.5Ghz, 32Gb, Nvidia GTX 770 4Gb
Mavic 2 Pro, Phantom 4 Pro, Sony AX100, Nikon D810

michhes

PostFri Jun 19, 2020 2:05 am

Had the same problem trying to create a new database on a second internal hard drive (m:).

I worked around this by creating the database in a location on my c: drive (basically in Documents, if that makes any difference from a permissions perspective...). I was then able to disconnect the newly-created database in Project Manager and move the entire Resolve Projects folder from the temporary location to the other disk (m:).

From there, I was able to cnnect to the new database (rather than 'create') in its correct location.

Haven't yet tried creating a new project...

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jun 19, 2020 2:16 am

As a test, do a project export and aim it at the directory you created for the database.

This will prove whether Resolve can write to that location or not.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Damien Espinoza

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 4:55 pm

Hi Dwaine,
I too am having the same issue as the OP. I tried what you suggested and it does indeed export the project. I've deleted and redirected the working folders in Project settings, I've deleted and redirected the media storage to the external drive in the Media Storage Locations in Preferences, I've checked all of my permissions on both the MacOS and the Promise Pegasus, it's still not working. I still get a read-write error when creating a new database.

imac PRO/ Catalina
Davinci resolve 16.2.6.005

Thank you for your help,
Damien

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 5:33 pm

Are you trying to create a Disk database on the internal drive, or an external drive? if an external drive, how is it formatted? An ExFAT formatted volume won't work.
Dwaine Maggart

Damien Espinoza

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 7:05 pm

Hi Dwaine,

It's an external Promise Pegasus formatted to MacOS Extended (Journaled). I've been using it for around 4 years without a problem. This has been going on for maybe the last year or so, the workarounds are getting old and I'd like to figure this out.

Thank you,
Damien

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 10:11 pm

Create the database and get the errors. Then generate a Resolve log, and send that. Also send a Mac System Information .spx file.
Dwaine Maggart

Damien Espinoza

PostWed Oct 14, 2020 7:31 pm

Sorry for the delay for I've been crazy busy at work. I have no idea of the solution but it suddenly started letting me create new databases without errors. Did you guys do some super secret Blackmagic hocus pocus? I haven't changed a thing. Well, what's the saying in the US? "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth."

Thank you for the support.

Return to DaVinci Resolve