Image Scaling in Source Viewer

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

emanuelebresciani

Image Scaling in Source Viewer

PostMon Feb 24, 2020 10:34 pm

Hi everybody.

I have a question about the source viewer and I can't find a solution.

I am working with footage shot in UHD and I'm editing on a 2.35:1 timeline. So I set both project and timeline at the proper resolution, and both source and timeline viewer are resized accordingly. The problem is that I can't preview the source material, in the source monitor, already sized as it will appear once on the timeline. I understand that it could be the proper way to preview the footage (it let's you to see it in the original size), but I have 2 problems:

1. I would like to see it already in the correct crop, in order to evaluate the composition better.

2. The REAL problem is that I am now editing multiple timelines, and when I play them in the source viewer (in order to edit in the "main" timeline without copying and pasting) they appear like the source material and NOT in the timeline's resolution. This is very annoying, since I modified the vertical position of multiple clips and now they seem misplaced (and they are not of course).

Is there a way to tell DaVinci to resize the image properly also in the source viewer? From my point of view, given the identical canvas size of the source viewer and the timeline viewer, seems odd that there's no possibility to scale the source image to fit the viewer.

I am currently working on Resolve 15.2 on Mac Os X Mojave.

Thanks to all for your help.

Emanuele

Return to DaVinci Resolve