[Very urgent] Lost grading - blue / black clips instead

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Lucius Snow

[Very urgent] Lost grading - blue / black clips instead

PostTue Feb 25, 2020 1:13 pm

Hi all,

We're currently grading a project on DaVinci Studio 16.1.1 on Centos 8.1 since yersterday. Everything has worked perfectly until the end of the day. No crash, no error message, no slow down. We've exported the .drp to make a backup.

Today, at startup, 90% of our grades are corrupted. Despite the fact we find back our nodes, data colors are either resetted to zero or/and received red, black or blue values. Red and blue data make a sort of filter on the picture. If we apply a still, the result is the same as the bug result, and not the right colors values.

The media files are all fine. We tested the project on Windows and Mac. Same bug.

Both projects (from database) and from the .drp give the same results.

Have you ever seen this before?

Thanks.

Jim Simon

Re: [Very urgent] Lost grading - blue / black clips instead

PostTue Feb 25, 2020 4:56 pm

Never had anything like that occur. Can't even think of anything that might cause that.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Feb 25, 2020 6:07 pm

The first thought would be some sort of hardware issue. But if the project looks the same on another Mac and Windows system, apparently not.

It's hard to conceive of any explanation that could account for that sort of project corruption. It could be possible that some sort of ripple operation messed up the project timeline, but that wouldn't affect the stills.

Only other thought would be if you had some sort of LUT or OFX or color transform somewhere in the pipeline you were grading against, and now that's gone for some reason.

Did you have any Timeline or Group Pre/Post Clip grades happening, with an effect or LUT that's now missing?

Is it worth posting the drp for us to look at, or would that not be helpful without the media?
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Lucius Snow

PostTue Feb 25, 2020 6:22 pm

No there was no ripple operation. Plus, the timeline is completely fine.

No LUT, no OFX used (Neat is the only installed plugin, with official license, but unused for this project), no color transform, no group pre/post clip.

We used primaries, curves, qualifiers, masks with tracking, dissolves, output resize in 4/3, "highlight recovery" in the BRAW metadatas. That's all.

All medias are fine. There was no crash, no error message. Nothing which looks suspect.

I already sent the .drp to Blackmagic support in U.K. (Isaac Dean).

I'm losing more than €500 (my colorist ratings) because of that bug so please find what could happened because it must not happen again.

Sulo Kokki

PostTue Feb 25, 2020 10:18 pm

Lucius Snow wrote:Have you ever seen this before?

Yes.

We encountered similar behaviour with DR14 on Linux (CentOS & others). Case-in-point, when Resolve was used specifically with the US keyboard, things were good. But, if you used anything else, your grades were only good for that session.

What happened if you had, like, English (UK) keyboard layout was - apparently - that the decimal pointer went awry (from . to , or vice versa). This caused the project file to be saved / exported in the wrong format. In other words, bye-bye grades. Better luck next time.

Your case seems similar, but I thought this problem was fixed by BMD in v15... :-/
Linux Mint 19.3 | DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.1 | 2700x 32gb Radeon VII | macOS Mojave

Lucius Snow

PostTue Feb 25, 2020 10:26 pm

You mean it may happen if , or . would be in the filename of the project?

Sulo Kokki

PostTue Feb 25, 2020 10:38 pm

You should never use periods or commas in a filename prior to period & file type, but that shouldn't be a cause.

I meant the data Resolve writes into the project file, the specific numeric values signifying different grades. Session language / keyboard layout as English (US) was proven to be the sole working setting. Every other option resulted in corrupt grades when re-opening the project / drp in that system or any other.
Linux Mint 19.3 | DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.1 | 2700x 32gb Radeon VII | macOS Mojave

Lucius Snow

PostTue Feb 25, 2020 10:45 pm

I never used such characters. And no accents. Just a few spaces.

I use the french keyboard. Do you mean I should switch to English (US) to avoid this terrible thing happens again? :shock:

But how do you explain that only one project has been corrupted? We've spent the day to start again grading from the beginning. I've reopened it 2-3 times. No problem this time.

Sulo Kokki

PostTue Feb 25, 2020 11:00 pm

Lucius Snow wrote:I never used such characters. And no accents. Just a few spaces.

Be kind to your system and replace a space with a _.

Lucius Snow wrote:I use the french keyboard. Do you mean I should switch to English (US) to avoid this terrible thing happens again? :shock:

Change to English (US), open Resolve, create a project, put in a random clip with some grading. Save project. Close and restart Resolve. Open the project. If the grades are ok, your problem was the French keyboard layout, sorry to say.

Lucius Snow wrote:But how do you explain that only one project has been corrupted? We've spent the day to start again grading from the beginning. I've reopened it 2-3 times. No problem this time.

Beats me, since I was not there, but. For all we know, the language bug does not affect editing, for instance. Only when you grade, save and re-open, you may get this error.

Lucius Snow

PostTue Feb 25, 2020 11:13 pm

Damn, that's the exact same bug as here:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=56878&start=600#p367004

The guy is from Switzerland and seems to speak french.

BMD, it's been more than two years it's not fixed! That's a shame!

Thank you very much Sulo Kokki. I'll reconfigure my OS in english (US) before reopening my project.

Sulo Kokki

PostTue Feb 25, 2020 11:40 pm

Somewhat untrue. What you see in that thread is the DR Linux community figuring out the bug (among many other quirks) in v14. On v15, I checked with other kb layouts and the bug was fixed - no errors at all.

On v16, it's possible the bug has returned, at least to some degree, based on your experience with a newer release of CentOS. If that's true, development has certainly taken new lanes at BMD. Neglecting bugs and user feedback is almost akin to developing issues, exacerbated by an annual version cycle.

You reap what you sow, and the losers are the users.

ps. Resolve's the best video software for me, and that's why I keep using it :)

Roen Davis

PostFri Apr 03, 2020 9:03 pm

Sulo Kokki wrote:
ps. Resolve's the best video software for me, and that's why I keep using it :)

Agreed
to the deaf person the dancer appears mad

Lucius Snow

PostSun Oct 04, 2020 6:42 pm

7 months later, still no fix by BMD :evil:

This bug is known since 2017.

akuder

PostFri May 14, 2021 9:35 am

Hi Lucius Snow,

we've had the same bug here (Resolve 16.2). Had it in three different projects in different databases. I've been in touch with BMD Support but they are no help.

Could you pin down where the bug came from? Was it the keyboard settings?
When it happened in your project, did you use the local database or PostgreSQL?

Thanks so much in advance!

Best, Aaron

Lucius Snow

PostFri May 14, 2021 1:55 pm

akuder wrote:Hi Lucius Snow,

we've had the same bug here (Resolve 16.2). Had it in three different projects in different databases. I've been in touch with BMD Support but they are no help.

Could you pin down where the bug came from? Was it the keyboard settings?
When it happened in your project, did you use the local database or PostgreSQL?

Thanks so much in advance!

Best, Aaron

Hello Aaron,

We suppose it's the keyboard mapping (and maybe the O.S. environment). I had to switch both to "en-US" (not "en-GB") as a workaround. I use local database on Centos.

Yersterday, I've upgraded to Resolve 17.2. I don't know if it's fixed. Probably not. I don't dare switching back the O.S. and the keyboard to my mother language because it happens randomly. I wrote SEVERAL times to Dwaine and Peter from BMD but there's still no fix since 2017. Project corruptions don't seem to be at the top of their priority :shock:

Return to DaVinci Resolve