Project won't save

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Dickon Whitehead

Re: Project won't save

PostTue Oct 12, 2021 11:14 pm

Resolve 17.3.2 Build 8

Project won't save problem bites again,

Luckily I am only working on a small end clip.

Have not had this for a while maybe some code regression.

M1 Mac 11.6
27" 2013 iMac, 3.4GHz i5, 24gb ram, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096MB
Yosemite Os

berdinho10

PostFri Oct 29, 2021 1:33 pm

If anyone having this problem after new update (17.4.1) You can try to change timeline (open new one if you don't have one already) and try saving again.

Harri Järvinen

PostWed Nov 17, 2021 11:53 pm

Berdinho10, THANK YOU that worked for me!
Video hobbyist
Ryzen 2.Gen 8-core, RTX 2080 8Gb, 32Gb RAM
  • Resolve 18.1 /w Decklink 8k Pro
  • Nvidia Studio Driver
  • Win10

crisvasquez

PostSat Nov 20, 2021 1:20 am

I was on Davinci resolve Studio 17.4.1 PC

Just finished the render and when I tried to save the project I wasn't able to do it. Unable to save/save as. The only way to save my progress was to export the Timeline. Now updating to 17.4.2.

Plajer

PostTue Nov 23, 2021 3:01 pm

berdinho10 wrote:If anyone having this problem after new update (17.4.1) You can try to change timeline (open new one if you don't have one already) and try saving again.

THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!
Ryzen 2700X / 64GB RAM /RTX 2080TI (Latest Studio driver)
Resolve Studio 16 (Latest Non Beta) / Windows 10 (latest version)
NVMe: OS & Apps SSD: Cache
Synology DS1621+ NAS: Project Media/Database & Archive

licashot

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 4:36 pm

This is some serious bug requiring urgent fix!!!
Resolve Studio 17.4.2 doesn't always save the projects either automatically or manually. When starting or opening a project everythings seems fine and the save option works, but after a time it ceases to save and when quitting it gets stuck asking if you want to save, wich is pointless because it just won't do it even if you press SAVE a million times. You have to force quit at the cost of losing your work...

Rokku Bando

PostFri Dec 03, 2021 3:06 am

licashot wrote:This is some serious bug requiring urgent fix!!!
Resolve Studio 17.4.2 doesn't always save the projects either automatically or manually. When starting or opening a project everythings seems fine and the save option works, but after a time it ceases to save and when quitting it gets stuck asking if you want to save, wich is pointless because it just won't do it even if you press SAVE a million times. You have to force quit at the cost of losing your work...

I've just lost 2 hours of "should be done by the morning" work because of that.
Devastated to say the least.

P. S. Latest Studio. MBP 14"

Eskalia23

PostFri Dec 31, 2021 5:42 pm

I have been having this issue for forever just just found a way to fix it that works for me. Well...by fix it I mean, at least manage to save and close. Switching to another timeline forces a project backup. I can just close without it telling me I need to save. Much more comfortable now (although this shouldn't still be an issue obviously).

Annabel_Shanderin

PostSun Jan 23, 2022 4:17 pm

berdinho10 wrote:If anyone having this problem after new update (17.4.1) You can try to change timeline (open new one if you don't have one already) and try saving again.

Thank you so much for this trick, it worked for me too! <3

vstork

PostWed Feb 09, 2022 10:55 am

Thank you, it worked!

Steve_NLV

PostThu Mar 31, 2022 11:55 pm

@berdinho10

Thank you for this. I'm recently updated to Davinci Resolve Studio 17.4.6 Build 4 and have been getting this error for a very long time.

This has been happing for me ever since the "auto-save" feature was implemented.

I finally found this workaround today.

I'll admit, I've been dealing with this for so long and the only way I could get it to save in the past was to close the program and lose all my progress. This frequently resulted in having to redo hours of work.

And I was checking to make sure it was saving along the way. It would stop and then when I reloaded it would revert HOURS back. So it was giving me false positives for saving (or it's reverting to some slower to save restore point, not sure which).

Either way, it was about to happen again, I finally found this workaround, did it, and it saved. I closed and reloaded the file to test and it was up to date.

Yay.

I really do hope Davinci Resolve fixes this soon. It's been well over a year of frustration for me on the Studio version.

Stephen van Vuuren

PostFri Apr 01, 2022 11:01 pm

Having the same problem with current version, lost hours of work past two days. It acts like it's saving and it's basic short project so saves are so fast, don't see the messages unless paying close attention.

forrestcourtland

PostThu Apr 14, 2022 3:03 pm

Super unprofessional that this is still a problem in 2022 after being reported by many users for years. For me, it seems to happen at apparently random intervals when I'm editing audio clips. I can edit audio the exact same way on three different videos and one of the edits DR decides "Nah". All of a sudden Davinci is just like, "No sir you can't save. I know you could save before, but you can't do that now." Never had this problem when I'm using Davinci on any of my PC's, so I'm guessing it is an issue specific to mac.

I'm having the problem on the 16" Macbook M1 Pro. Drive has plenty of space. Permissions issue are not a thing. Black Magic - where are you at on this?

Also, I've noticed that it seems to crash on export after it freezes and won't let me save. So there is literally no way out once you are trapped in the no-save matrix - learned this the hard way just now after deciding to finish the edit in one sitting so I could just export it without needing to save. 3 hours down the drain - but I guess I've learned my lesson now.

Stephen van Vuuren

PostFri Apr 15, 2022 3:24 pm

forrestcourtland wrote:Never had this problem when I'm using Davinci on any of my PC's, so I'm guessing it is an issue specific to mac.

I'm having the problem on the 16" Macbook M1 Pro. Drive has plenty of space. Permissions issue are not a thing. Black Magic - where are you at on this?

I've been having this on my laptop connecting to Project Server and other reports have both Win and Mac users having issues with and without Project Server. I suspect it's a live save/database or similar issue that is cross platform.

BartReynaard

PostSun Apr 24, 2022 10:41 am

Is everyone that has this issue, using PostgreSQL or the standard system (SQLite) ?
Bart
________
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.5 on Windows 11 Pro 23H2

Prod. Machine: Ryzen 7 64GB 3.54 GHz
Video: MSI GeForce 4060Ti 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x1440 widescreen, 2 x 1920 x 1080 16:9
Audio: Behringer UMC1820
Blackmagic Speed Editor

beachboybry

PostThu Jun 02, 2022 5:04 pm

Posted this on a similar post about this issue:

This just happened to me out of nowhere. This happened last year when I was in the last stages of a feature edit before it became the known and dreaded issue of the "Critical Error Saving project". I did the workaround referenced above by making a new Timeline and pasting the project there but seriously BM, fix these core issues that are known issues before making new and shiny features & plug-ins. It's like boasting about a new roof and paint job on a house with structural issues.

Timothy Clark

PostSat Jun 04, 2022 11:44 pm

Just saved me from tearing my hair out!
That was scary.
Resolve 17.4.6 on Mac Monterey 12.4

Nabiswa Wanyama

PostMon Jun 13, 2022 4:10 pm

Hey guys this is for everyone that might still be struggling with this issue.
apparently, this only happens when you leave the audio in Fairlight selected and then try to export the video.

Basically, deselect your audio in fairlight and you are good to go.

Cheers.

Stephen van Vuuren

PostMon Jun 13, 2022 8:36 pm

Nabiswa Wanyama wrote:Hey guys this is for everyone that might still be struggling with this issue.
apparently, this only happens when you leave the audio in Fairlight selected and then try to export the video.

Cheers.

That was not the scenario when it happened to me.

JesseBrauning

PostWed Jun 15, 2022 1:55 am

I just had this issue on a Windows 10 PC running Resolve 18 Beta... 3 I think.
Solved it by clicking "close current timeline" and then the project saved.

SSirus

PostSun Jul 31, 2022 4:20 am

Project not saving/unable to save still a bug in Davinci 18.0.1 Build 3, Autosave fails to save as well which is especially annoying as there is no way to close DaVinci without losing progress

n33k33

PostSun Jul 31, 2022 9:48 am

ev-dad wrote:+1 to zenitaudiovisuals for their workaround. Just confirmed that it makes the project save-able again.

Create a new timeline and drop in a clip then create some audio keyframes (I did volume). Suddenly saving works again.

Phew!

Confirming this worked for me just now. Thanks so much <3

Lermpy

PostWed Sep 07, 2022 5:43 pm

Workaround for me - switching timelines. While I've only had the opportunity to test this twice, it seems to slap some sense into resolve and get save working again.

Hope this helps!

DejayC

PostSat Sep 10, 2022 11:27 pm

Thank you to the generous souls who discovered that closing the timeline allows one to save their project! As a user who is brand new to Resolve (and video editing software in general), I'm glad to not have lost my work due to this loopy bug that somehow has managed to remain present in Resolve for as long as it has.

+1 to the sentiment that this is a reputation-harming bug that Blackmagic should fix with priority.

I can't complain too much, though - as confusing as Resolve is for me, it seems incredibly powerful, and this community is both helpful and awesome!

shokrizorid

PostWed Sep 21, 2022 9:38 pm

Nabiswa Wanyama wrote:Hey guys this is for everyone that might still be struggling with this issue.

Cheers.

Thank you so much!
You saved my project!

SantenPlu

PostTue Mar 14, 2023 2:04 am

Wow this problem still exists !!
Whats wrong with BM to not fix this major bug for years!

Save or save as ist not possible. Autosave doesn't work.
Lost 5 hours of work !!!!!

Davinci 18.1 / Windows 11

Solution: change the current time line - and saving is possible again.

ch3rub

PostThu Nov 09, 2023 12:48 pm

SantenPlu wrote:Solution: change the current time line - and saving is possible again.

Thank you!!
You just saved me possibly loosing valuable work. Changing timeline worked for me.
Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve