Project won't save

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

bigflavorfilms

Re: Project won't save

PostTue Jun 23, 2020 10:36 pm

This has been happening to me for a while now. Fed up with it and now posting too. I'm on Mojave 10.14.6 (nervous to update still), Resolve Studio 16.2.3.015 (latest at the the time).

I was going to post that it's related to moving the keyframes in the wave file in the Edit tab. I see that's been covered. I can almost rest assured at this point I won't be able to save after editing a few keyframes. I have auto-save on but I get caught every now and then and have to redo a few minutes of editing. Not a deal breaker but annoying all the same.

Mike Warren

PostWed Jun 24, 2020 3:20 am

ianbutty wrote:
Peter Chamberlain wrote:Please assist by providing system and OS details and generate logs. Post a link here. 16.2.3 had a few changes but it seems some still see this so we’ed like logs to try to repo.

Also a reminder for those who post but can’t see their reply, you need to register with your full real name. Please contact Tony to update your registration.

If you look back through the thread I tried to suply a log but it was too large to upload via the forum. No one replied to say how I should suply it. I think there was someone else who had the same problem.

If you let me know how to send I will regenerate the log if/when the problem happens again.

Put the files on a file sharing site and post a link here. That's what others to.
Resolve Studio 17.4.6 - Fusion Studio 17.2.2 - Windows 10
Gigabyte GTX1080ti 11GB - AMD 1950X - 64GB 2400
Gigabyte X399 AORUS Gaming 7
Intensity Pro 4k
Presonus 192 Audio Interface
Separate M.2 SSDs for OS and Resolve Cache

pnguyen720

PostWed Jun 24, 2020 4:06 am

ianbutty wrote:Just happened again. :-(

Can't tell you what I was doing at the exact point it stopped being able to save, because I had been working for quite a while before I noticed I couldn't save.

I have generated a log file following the instructions above but it is 267Mb which is too large to upload via this form. Please let me know how you would like me to get the file to you.

Ian.

The ZIP file generated on your desktop is 267MB?

Garbuhj

PostFri Jun 26, 2020 1:15 am

This is 100% caused by volume keyframes. I just made this bug happen repeatedly like 10 times in a row by repeating the same actions on volume keyframes over and over again. Super frustrating - please fix this bug!

janoma

PostFri Jun 26, 2020 3:22 pm

csx333 wrote:so you might work for hours till you realize that you can't save...

I agree the issue is frustrating, but if you work on anything without saving for hours, then I would say the fault is on your side. Even 10 minutes without saving should be considered too much.

InTuition Music

PostSat Jun 27, 2020 7:16 pm

Garbuhj wrote:This is 100% caused by volume keyframes. I just made this bug happen repeatedly like 10 times in a row by repeating the same actions on volume keyframes over and over again. Super frustrating - please fix this bug!

Unfortunately I got this issue not able to save after moving the X and Y axis of a Text Layer. That was it. Do not pass Go, Do not collect £200.

I have attached a log, hope this major issue can be (re)solved
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20200627-194802.zip
(123.84 KiB) Downloaded 305 times

fredrok

PostSun Jun 28, 2020 6:50 pm

Ditto, project won't save, can't undo, and repositioning pictures or video lags a long time, have to select other clips in order to get the repositioning to take effect.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jun 29, 2020 6:07 am

It seems there may be two separate issues here. If you are on a version older than 16.2.3 please update. The is no need for old version logs. If you are on 16.2.3 and you still see this issue, please generate new logs after you can not save.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

elleonleo

PostWed Jul 01, 2020 7:27 pm

I too have this problem. Clicking or using shortcut to save project or save project as do nothing at all.

zenitaudiovisuals

PostMon Jul 06, 2020 3:28 pm

Hi! this is my first post in this forum.

I came here because I was looking for information about this problem that I also experience sometimes.

When this has happened to me I have been able to "recover" the save function by opening another parallel project (or another timeline) and modifying some volume keyframe in an audio track. The problem is in the audio keyframes, if you play with them a little it seems that everything works again. But yes; is scary. :cry:

Sorry for my english ...

I hope this helps someone.

pnguyen720

PostWed Jul 15, 2020 5:54 pm

Just saw that 16.2.4 was released and that project save bug fix is listed

murph8857

PostWed Jul 29, 2020 3:12 pm

I just downloaded the latest free version of Davinci 16. Ver 16.2.4
The only way I can save is using “save as” and it wont let me replace the current saved project. Usually a program asks you “do you want to replace”. Davinci doesn’t allow that. So it creates a new project. You can right click on older projects to delete them.
The other feature I don’t see is the ability to view the timeline monitor full screen on my second apple Cinema Display. Should be in the “Workspace” drop down but its not there.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jul 30, 2020 2:05 am

John, the clean feed full screen on the second monitor is a Studio feature.

GiannisG

PostThu Jul 30, 2020 3:24 pm

Joining the discussion to say that I have the same problem. I am not sure if it's triggered by dragging the clip's audio volume envelopes / nodes (as others have said), but I have definitely dragged them, too. So, yeah, audio volume envelopes are a suspect.

I see that log files can help, but I don't know how to produce them.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jul 31, 2020 4:20 am

Try 16.2.5 first.
If that doesn’t help the FAQs describe how to generate logs and nfo and post a link to them

PK Simone

PostTue Aug 11, 2020 8:23 pm

MacOS Mojave 10.14

Davinci 16.2.2.012

Same thing, save just went away, going to see how much work I've lost once I close the program. Hopefully this gets addressed.

Seems to always happen when I am working with Audio WAV files.
Last edited by PK Simone on Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Aug 11, 2020 8:47 pm

You need to update to Resolve 16.2.5...
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

JakeHeld

PostTue Aug 11, 2020 10:19 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:You need to update to Resolve 16.2.5...

I have, and it works WONDERFULLY, thank you!

Though, I am shocked to see 80% on the CPU and not more than 15% on the GPU....

i5 4690k 3.5GHz / Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti with Latest Drivers / 16GB DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaw X / SamsungEVO 250GB SSD / Win 10 64-bit Latest Build

DirectedByMarvin

PostMon Aug 17, 2020 8:36 am

Same issue here. Please find log here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3qqb2hqsl91u9tg/DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20200817-010738.zip?dl=0
Using Resolve 16.2.5

In addition to non-functioning auto-save, saving, save project as, export project, I'm also not able to export. It would go all the way through and fails when it comes to saving the container.
Davinci Resolve 18.6
Apple M1 Max 10-core CPU, 32-core GPU, 16-core Neural Engine // 64GB RAM //
Ultra Studio 4K Mini // LG CX55 OLED // ASUS ProArt 32UCX

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Aug 17, 2020 7:28 pm

There appear to be serious issues with, or accessing, your thriivemedia PostgreSQL database.

The log is flooded with errors like this:

[0x70000a1f1000] | SyManager | ERROR | 2020-08-16 20:24:00,245 | FrameIOHelper: GetComments() request failed, responseCode:3, httpStatus:401, response:{"code":401,"errors":[{"code":401,"detail":"You are not allowed to access that resource","expired_token":true,"status":401,"title":"Not Authorized"}],"message":"Not Authorized"}

I've never seen those types of errors before, so I'm not sure what might be causing them.

What is your PostgreSQL server running on? What PostgreSQL version are you using? Is the server on the local network, or is it on a remote network of some sort?
Dwaine Maggart

DirectedByMarvin

PostMon Aug 17, 2020 7:41 pm

Hey Dwaine,
My PostgreSQL you’re mentioning is on my Synology NAS. However, I’m currently not connected to that Database which I normally access through wifi.
The project that I’m unable to save is saved locally.
Davinci Resolve 18.6

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Aug 17, 2020 8:01 pm

Right you are. Project Staycation Avantstay loaded from the local database.

And looking specifically at that, it seems to be saving without error. Dozens of times in the current log.

The flood of errors therefore must be related to what they say: Frame.io

Are you using Frame.io assets in this project?

You say the project is not saving. What's the indication of that? An error message? Or when you load the project later, nothing you did in it was saved?

It appears you also have Project Backups enabled, and pointing to this location:

/Volumes/Cache SSD/Resolve Project Backups

Are those working?
Dwaine Maggart

DirectedByMarvin

PostTue Aug 18, 2020 4:58 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:The flood of errors therefore must be related to what they say: Frame.io

Are you using Frame.io assets in this project?

While Frame IO is signed in, I'm not using any assets. Everything is saved locally on a SSD card.
However, there's issues with the Frame IO integration which has been discussed here
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=112130
In a nutshell, often times Resolve isn't able to connect to Frame IO when running exports. Solution is to restart it. But that's another topic.

Dwaine Maggart wrote:You say the project is not saving. What's the indication of that? An error message? Or when you load the project later, nothing you did in it was saved?

No message at all. When clicking on Save or Save As, nothing shows up. When trying to exit Resolve, it asks me if I want to save the current project. When clicking save, it won't save it and will prompt the same dialog box again when trying to exit.

Dwaine Maggart wrote:It appears you also have Project Backups enabled, and pointing to this location:

/Volumes/Cache SSD/Resolve Project Backups

Are those working?

They have been but nothing was backed up within the time the problem occurred
Davinci Resolve 18.6

dmfsdaz

PostSun Sep 13, 2020 4:02 am

so In have the same issue - project won't save on my OSX studio edition of Resolve 16.2.6 on Catalina 10.15.5..
Has anyone found a suitable fix?

nekete

PostSun Sep 13, 2020 7:58 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:You need to update to Resolve 16.2.5...

I have 16.2.6 and it's happening, suddenly, since last night to me.

letsgopangolin

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 8:34 am

Hi there, I'm having the same issue!!!

I had definitely been manipulating audio files in the ways others had stated. It doesn't even give me an error or anything when I hit save, so I have no idea how long this had been happening for. I routinely hit ctl+s and assume it's saving, so I didn't even notice the project hadn't been saving until I tried to exit the project and it asked me if I was sure because the project had unsaved changes, and then from that point on nothing I did would fix the problem. I'm too scared to turn my computer off now in fear of losing the file... At the very least, I was able to get a working render of it out, but I would rather not lose this work file in case I need to make changes to it later. I've attached a log as well!

This is literally the first project I've ever made using Resolve... I loved it so far but this is a really big issue I can't afford to run into on future projects if it doesn't get fixed. :(
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20200916_ 12205.zip
(47.51 KiB) Downloaded 291 times

pnguyen720

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 2:04 pm

letsgopangolin wrote:Hi there, I'm having the same issue!!!

I had definitely been manipulating audio files in the ways others had stated. It doesn't even give me an error or anything when I hit save, so I have no idea how long this had been happening for. I routinely hit ctl+s and assume it's saving, so I didn't even notice the project hadn't been saving until I tried to exit the project and it asked me if I was sure because the project had unsaved changes, and then from that point on nothing I did would fix the problem. I'm too scared to turn my computer off now in fear of losing the file... At the very least, I was able to get a working render of it out, but I would rather not lose this work file in case I need to make changes to it later. I've attached a log as well!

This is literally the first project I've ever made using Resolve... I loved it so far but this is a really big issue I can't afford to run into on future projects if it doesn't get fixed. :(

Do you have the latest release?

I saw this all the time and just finished a big project with the latest release and did not see it again.

ricardio

PostMon Sep 21, 2020 9:19 am

Same problem here, im desperate.

Im in Latest free resolve 16.2.7 and Catalina 10.15.6

For me it happens when i move speed on clips, accelerating or slowing them down.

Also when i move text layers.

What can we do? I dont wanna go back to premiere but im loosing time everyday with this issue.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Sep 21, 2020 7:48 pm

Please send us a Resolve diagnostics log when this happens. Generate the log from the Resolve Help menu: Create Diagnostics Log on Desktop.

If you can't access that menu when it gets into the not saving mode, then generate the log after you restart Resolve.

Also send us a project export .drp of the project. See if it will let you do a Project Export when it is in the not saving mode. If not, then do the export after a Resolve restart.
Dwaine Maggart

Matteo195

PostSat Oct 24, 2020 11:12 am

Hi there,

i am new to this forum. Trying my skills on DR 16.2.7.

Having the same issue and hoping to tribute to the solution.
Just made an export en a log file.
The export makes a version of the last saved. So not de live version.
It seems to stop making saves after I added TEXT+ on a foto in the edit page.
I was working on an animation of 3 foto's and added the text+ above the foto.

Hope this will give enough information and you can help me.

Working on a mcboock air early 2015.
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20201024-125929.zip
(119.84 KiB) Downloaded 262 times

ev-dad

PostTue Nov 03, 2020 8:57 pm

+1 to zenitaudiovisuals for their workaround. Just confirmed that it makes the project save-able again.

Create a new timeline and drop in a clip then create some audio keyframes (I did volume). Suddenly saving works again.

Phew!

Noh5ceit

PostSun Nov 08, 2020 9:18 pm

My project won't save color grade changes. It seemed like the project saved normally. However, when I re-opened the project after quitting resolve, none of my color grade changes were saved. I'm running v16.2.7.010 on Windows 10.

I discovered that color grade changes are saved IF I save to a new project. However, any subsequent color grade changes to the new project don't save. I must save to a new project every time I want any changes saved.

I also discovered that some things are saved to the project. I changed the color space from ACEScc to rec709 and that was saved. UI state also seemed saved.

I'm willing to wipe out all nodes/grades and start from scratch if that might help. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to accomplish this? Maybe edit the .drp backup? I tried resetting nodes and grades on every clip before saving, but the project remained unchanged when I reopened.

I've attached the log files. A very annoying bug because there are no warnings that you can't save until you reopen the project and discover all you work isn't there. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20201108_190811.zip
(125.33 KiB) Downloaded 271 times

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Nov 09, 2020 5:39 pm

Is this issue only related to this specific project, and save as projects from this project:

<20201024_covid_mouth>

If you start a new test project from scratch and make some grades, are those saved?

If you recover the oldest backup copy of this project, does that have the issue? Do that by right clicking the project name in the Project Manager page, and selecting Project Backups, then selecting the oldest one and click Load.
Dwaine Maggart

Noh5ceit

PostTue Nov 10, 2020 4:39 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Is this issue only related to this specific project, and save as projects from this project:

<20201024_covid_mouth>

If you start a new test project from scratch and make some grades, are those saved?

If you recover the oldest backup copy of this project, does that have the issue? Do that by right clicking the project name in the Project Manager page, and selecting Project Backups, then selecting the oldest one and click Load.

I did some debugging, and I figured out that I was unable to save color grades on compound clips in my timeline. After I decomposed the compound clip in place, I was able to save any changes in the color grade tab again.

I had made many of the clips in my timeline compound clips as an organizational convenience because I was trying to organize multiple audio sources for each clip. I had also done some audio editing (noise reduction, compression, keyframing levels) within the compound clip, but I'm not sure if that contributed to the problem. I did look at the first couple of project backups, and they also failed to save the color grades I had been working on.

This seems like a bug to me, and it would be helpful to at least get an error message if color grade changes fail to save.
I'd be happy to provide a .drp of my project if it would help document the bug. Just let me know.

Noh5ceit

PostTue Nov 10, 2020 9:07 pm

I was probably wrong in my previous post blaming compound clips for inability to save color grades.

Unfortunately, I experienced another session where I did hours of work and saved frequently, but found none of my color grades were saved after I reopened my project.

This time, I'm unable to replicate the problem with the same timeline. I'm now able to save the color grades to the same timeline, so I'm not sure why my previous session failed to save any grades.

I guess I will have to periodically restart resolve to verify my changes are saved.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Nov 10, 2020 10:05 pm

Do you have live save and project backup on?

Noh5ceit

PostSat Nov 14, 2020 10:28 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Do you have live save and project backup on?

I have project backup on. When I checked my project backups, they also failed to save color grade changes.

I have done a little more debugging and figured out that the saving problem starts after I run "Analyze" in the face refinement effect

Here are some of the strange behaviors I observed. Hopefully, this helps someone.
    "Analyze" in face refinement fx causes color grades to stop saving to project without any error. None of the changes appear in the project once reopened. These changes are also missing from the automated project backups.

Save as a new project seems to allow the new project to save fine until "Analyze" is run again on the face refinement fx.

I added 1 clip to a new empty project and ran "Analyze" on the face refinement fx. Project saved fine. There is an interaction with something in my project and face refinement "Analyze". It's not a problem with face refinement analyze alone.

I also lost some audio edits, so I think the save problem applies to fairlight as well. Project settings, and interface states seem to save ok even when color and audio edits don't save.

RichardDR

PostSun Nov 15, 2020 3:33 pm

Dear all,

just got access to the forum, because I have exactly the same problem: since I am using the new Version 17 beta, I am unable to save my color grades. Changes made to the EDIT page (transitions, etc.) are well saved, but any grade (e.g. just increasing the saturation to "70") is not. I know, it is a beta version, but I learned from others posting here, that the problem is not bound to version 17.
It is happening all the time; to new projects but also to the ones upgraded from DR 16. I created a new database in addition to the default one...same result.
(When I am saying "unable to save" it means saving doesn't happen, while the behavior of DR is normal. I even can see for a very short time the green bar moving where it says "saving...". I tried with & without Auto save, resp. auto backup.)

I was using DR 15 and 16 (+ all sub versions) without any troubles.

I didn't touch anything else than the media, edit, color and deliver page. I was working on a very simple project, just changing the length of clips and going right to grade them.

I am on DR Studio, Win 10 Pro (up-dated version) have all the necessary access rights and enough disk space. As said, everything was working "for years" with exactly the same set-up perfectly. I am not a professional using DR, so my set-up is also rather simple: a PC with one (HDR) monitor, SSD and second drive inside, RTX 2060 super, 32 GB. (No second monitor, no other BM cards, no external storage, etc.). I work mostly on simple files from the Panasonic GH5 (H264, All-i).

If there is anything I can contribute to the problem solution, pls. let me know! As said, despite others my set-up is most likely one of the more simple ones, so it might be easier to see whats wrong!?

Kind regards, Richard

ElFlechero

PostTue Nov 17, 2020 3:34 am

Same identical problem - it doesn't usually happen but when it does it's the worst. Especially because I HAVE been clicking ctrl+S for the last hour - it just hasn't been actually saving.

I made a diagnostics log, I hope it helps get a fix. This happened in the spring when I was working on my mac laptop, and it's happened just once here on my pc.
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20201116-192745.zip
I don't know which of these files would actually be helpful, this is just the zipped folder in placed on my desktop when I made a diagnostics log.
(115.65 KiB) Downloaded 276 times

jgondrez

PostSat Nov 28, 2020 6:16 pm

This has been happening to me as well... Thought I was going crazy.
Resolve stopped saving, without giving me any indication. Meaning I hit ctrl+S constantly but it's not doing anything. I have Project Backups turned on, which also stopped saving at the same time.

I've lost hours of work from this. It literally just stops saving, including automatic project backups, without giving me any indication. Pretty annoying!

sergiotcastro@yahoo.com

PostTue Dec 01, 2020 8:35 am

I came across the same issue just yesterday, and I figured out that the culprit was one clip that had too many key frames (zoom, speed, rotation), stabilization, and color correction.

I solved the issue by rendering that one clip, and replacing it in my timeline. It worked like a charm!
Just in case, I am using "Live Save" in my Preferences from now on.

tagger101

PostTue Dec 01, 2020 12:09 pm

I just lost hours of progress due to this bug. (before you say I should've been saving, I'm new to this and didn't expect any sort of bug preventing me from hitting save when I needed to. Foolish me for assuming basic functions would work reliably?) I tried creating a new timeline/project to fumble with the audio keyframes as previously suggested, when my program promptly crashed and closed itself.

lth0ms0n

PostSat Dec 05, 2020 4:40 pm

Hey guys,

I'm beginning to panic - I appear to have lost the ability to save my work with Resolve from last night onwards, 3 hours of editing has disappeared because the timeline wasn't there when I opened the software this morning to carry on...

The one thing I will say that I am doing differently is creating a sync bin on the cut page (for the first time), rather than syncing my audio manually..

I can't work on any of my projects and have a YouTube upload deadline for Wednesday of this week, coming.

I'm on Resolve 16.2.7 and macOS Big Sur 11.0.1 - I've been on Big Sur for a number of weeks now, with no issue, so do not believe this to be a problem with the OS on my machine...

Lewis

Marc Wielage

PostSun Dec 06, 2020 2:13 am

ianbutty wrote:If you look back through the thread I tried to supply a log but it was too large to upload via the forum. No one replied to say how I should suply it. I think there was someone else who had the same problem.

If you look at the help files pinned to the top of the forum, they specify that users should provide:

1) the specific Resolve version number being used

2) what OS is used

3) specific hardware list (CPU, GPU, RAM, disk I/O, drivers, etc.)

4) then capture a crash log, post the crash log on a simple download site like YouSendIt or Google Drive or something like that.

5) they may also ask for the actual DRP, and you can forward that using a similar file-hosting website. Post the link to the download in your request for help.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

SterlingMP

PostTue Apr 06, 2021 11:15 am

So, it's April 6th, 2021. I'm using Resolve 17.1 Build 24. I understand this is a Beta and I've been dealing with rando crashes and dropped frames but not saving is completely unacceptable. At least premier will save the damn file. I had been working for hours with a very aggressive auto save function because I have lost valuable hours of work before using Divinci due to a random crash. I had been crtl-s'ing throughout this edit session, paying no mind to the fact that it wasn't actively saving. I only noticed it wasn't saving when I tried to crtl-z and nothing happened. I have no idea how this could've happened. It saved absolutely N O T H I N G! Like the only thing it saved is an empty timeline... unbelievable. I had done so much editing; literally 5 to 6 hours - gone. I'm OBVIOUSLY switching back to Adobe for this project but if this isn't in a patch note, consider me done with Resolve. There's absolutely no way I can deal with a program that may or may not save my progress even if I press ctrl-s or even go to the dropdown menu and manually select the option. People have been complaining about this for a year now and it hasn't been resolved? (No pun intended) What a joke! How can this program even be remotely considered professional when it CAN'T EVEN SAVE!?

Look, it is not my responsibility to figure out why your program doesn't save and random times. You have had plenty of folks complaining about it and submitting reports already. Just note that I'm done with this program and product line until the problems are fixed. It's absolutely unbelievable that this problem hasn't been addressed in over a year of complaints and it's even found its way into the new version of Divinci. The people in this thread were complaining about version 16. Saving your files reliably is a BASIC function. It's like the first thing that should be coded otherwise, how can anyone use your software? I'm not going to tip-toe around the problem. I really hope you all can find a solution, like, now. I don't want to return to Adobe but it seems I have to.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Apr 06, 2021 4:47 pm

Not saving projects is not a general issue. There could be specific situations where something may have happened to the database, or some other factor to cause such a thing, but it's not common.

The first thing would be to use the current 17.1.1 release. Then if there is still an issue, we'd need Resolve logs, system info and if possible, a project export of the problem project to attempt to diagnose the issue.

It would also be good to have Project Backups enabled, if you don't already. Not to say that would help for sure in this scenario, as backups also may not save if the main project isn't saving. But its good to have Project Backups enabled, just in case.

One more thing that can and does cause project saving issues is having a Resolve disk database on an external removable drive that is ExFAT formatted. We don't recommend putting disk databases on removable drives, for a number of reasons, but if you do, it can't be an ExFAT formatted drive.
Dwaine Maggart

SterlingMP

PostWed Apr 07, 2021 12:43 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Not saving projects is not a general issue. There could be specific situations where something may have happened to the database, or some other factor to cause such a thing, but it's not common.

The first thing would be to use the current 17.1.1 release. Then if there is still an issue, we'd need Resolve logs, system info and if possible, a project export of the problem project to attempt to diagnose the issue.

It would also be good to have Project Backups enabled, if you don't already. Not to say that would help for sure in this scenario, as backups also may not save if the main project isn't saving. But its good to have Project Backups enabled, just in case.

One more thing that can and does cause project saving issues is having a Resolve disk database on an external removable drive that is ExFAT formatted. We don't recommend putting disk databases on removable drives, for a number of reasons, but if you do, it can't be an ExFAT formatted drive.

I've been using Resolve for years and, yeah, obviously this is a rare bug however, if I had known it was even a possibility, I honestly would have never downloaded the program, to be quite frank. And, no offense, but if this has been going on since Resolve 16 and it hasn't been directly addressed, I personally have little to no confidence it's been fixed and I have too many projects and too little time to experiment on how the save bug occurred for BMD.

All files are stored locally on an HDD internally. I can send the logs generated by Davinci Resolve. It also has my computer specs documented within. Please let me know what email to send them to. I do utilize an automatic folder copying app that saves that database folder on another drive because I have had problems with saves becoming corrupted before.

Must've been another "rare bug" that can be crippling to a project. I've not had a lot of good to say about this Database system either. It's a bit more difficult to share files with other collaborators, in my experience, and if something goes wrong, it goes wrong hard. I want to say that I do acknowledge that this is indeed rare and may not be a "general" problem but this is a problem that your users cannot afford to have happen.

I mean there was absolutely no way to save my progress at all. Only thing I suppose I could've done was take a screenshot so I can try and replace all the keyframes I had put in... for 6 hours... not knowing that my system wasn't saving when I hit ctrl+s or auto saving wasn't working either.

There were no notices or popups telling me there were any issues. Like I said before, I only noticed something was wrong when I couldn't Undo by pressing ctrl+z. From what keys I use, all other keyboard shortcuts were functioning normally.

Thank you at least for your quick response. Let me know if I need to submit a general ticket or send this to a specific email.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Apr 07, 2021 5:43 am

You can provide the data here, or contact your regional support office.

If you want to provide the data here, put it on a file sharing site, and provide a link to the data.

New forum users may not be able to post URL's. If that's an issue, put a space near the front of the URL, so the system doesn't think it's a URL.
Dwaine Maggart

Wedelski

PostSun Jul 18, 2021 5:46 am

Same thing happening here, DRStudio17.2 Build11.

I've got my auto save set to 15 mins but can't remember the last time it did save.

Where are my autosaves hidden so I can prepare myself for how much work I've just lost?

Many thx BM please fix this one! I'm freaking out slightly here.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jul 19, 2021 4:37 pm

Autosaves do not help you in this scenario. You need Project Backups enabled. And in the area where you do that (Resolve Preferences - User - Project Save and Load) is Project Backup Location. This is where the project backup files are kept.
Dwaine Maggart
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve