Behringer XTouch or iCon Platform M+ in Resolve16 Fairlight?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

AquaVitaFilms

Behringer XTouch or iCon Platform M+ in Resolve16 Fairlight?

PostWed Feb 26, 2020 6:30 pm

Is anyone using either of the above in Resolve 16 for mixing in Fairlight?

How good is it?

Which one would you suggest?

Thanks Bernard

Andre Grossmann

Re: Behringer XTouch or iCon Platform M+ in Resolve16 Fairli

PostTue Oct 19, 2021 7:42 pm

I am also interested in the Icon Platform X + Controller. Is there any helpful information in the meantime?

Just found this: https://www.proaudio.de/de/tests/22627-icon-platform-m-und-b.html The Text is in German, but it says it should be possible.

HG Passen

PostTue Oct 19, 2021 8:02 pm

Hello!

I used a while ago the iCon M+ with DaVinci.
The faders work fine and also pan and automation.

Now I use the quite new UF8 controller from Solid State Logic. It works fine also.
But also the "Original" Mackie Controller runs very good.

I think, that all Mackie- compatible or Hui-compatible controllers will work.

HG

Andy Mees

PostTue Oct 19, 2021 10:52 pm

I've been looking at the Platform X+ as a possible fader / pan solution for 'simple' automation mixing ... not quite pulled the trigger yet, I keep hoping & dreaming that BMD will introduce a similarly low-end device thats more properly integrated ie supporting mute, solo, arm etc. The M+ units come up every so often on eBay tho, not so much the X+ units...
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

PostFri May 27, 2022 7:24 am

I am happy to report that the Icon Platform M+ works like a charm in Resolve 17.
A happy discovery is that the shortcut for arming automation works on this too.
And there is nothing to do to get it to work, just plug and play.
I tried the Behringer X touch compact but had to take it back as the faders would often move randomly during playback. No such problems with the Icon!
If you don’t want to spend $490 for motorized faders on the Icon then the Novation Launch Control works well too. (around $250)
Mark.

Andy Mees

PostFri May 27, 2022 10:16 pm

Yep, nice. I picked up a set of second hand Icon panels at the end of last year.
Very happy with them.

PostSat May 28, 2022 9:52 am

Andy Mees wrote:Yep, nice. I picked up a set of second hand Icon panels at the end of last year.
Very happy with them.

G’day Andy,
Are you using the optional D2 screen with your icon panel?
If so, how does the screen interact with Davinci Resolve, is it worth getting to use with my icon platform m+?
Mark.

Andy Mees

PostSun May 29, 2022 11:48 am

Hey Mark

My panels are the "Waves' branded variant of the Platform series that I picked up off eBay and flashed to the standard M+/X+/X firmware. I'm pretty sure that doesn't make any operational difference, Resolve sees them natively as M+/X+/X panels, but mentioning it just in case. They came with the Platform D displays... functionally identical to the later D2 displays as far as I know (just slightly smaller and consequently less well aligned, width wise).

Functionally, with Resolve, the attached Platform D/D2 displays seem to be, by default, pretty much limited to displaying track/channel strip labels only. If you're working with a lot a tracks and do a lot of track and bus automation banking, then that's pretty much essential, or at least well worth having. If you have more modest fixed track and bus layouts then a bit of masking tape and a sharpie will get you the exact same thing for much much less!

Some minor notes on how the displays respond to Resolve, depending on mode:

Hardware wise the D/D2 are a 2x56 character display, being 2x7 chars per channel strip... only 1x4 is used per strip for the track label.

In HUI mode, track labels are displayed on the bottom line with the upper line left blank. See image below showing M+ in HUI mode (displaying track bank 2). Arguably more aesthetically pleasing but the panels are more functional in MCP mode.

In the more versatile MCP mode, it displays the track labels on the upper line, with the lower line permanently showing the message 'MCP Mode Selected'... by default I don't see any way to have this display area used for more useful feedback. See image below showing X+ in MCP mode (displaying track bank 1).

In User Defined (MCP) mode, it displays the track labels on the upper line, with the lower line showing each track fader's 1x6 MIDI control code... if you're so inclined , I dare say you might be able to use a third party software (like Bome Midi Translator Pro) to have this area display human readable track level. See image below showing X+ in User Defined mode (displaying bus bank 1). This is the standard setup I use as I prefer the smaller footprint of the X+ unit (and used ICON's iMap software to change the function of the arm keys on channel strip 7 and 8 to act as bank left and bank right keys).

Hope thats helpful.
Andy

PostSun May 29, 2022 8:27 pm

Andy, you’re a rockstar! Thanks for posting this, you’ve been a great help.

joselmartinezdiaz

PostWed Dec 27, 2023 7:25 pm

Any tips on how to get platform M+ to control buses when automatize mixes? Seems to just assign the first 4 faders to tracks (leaving all the other 4 unassigned) so I have to switch banks to get to the buses, and even then I can only select the first 3 of them since the first fader seem to always control master fader...

Any help?

Return to DaVinci Resolve