BMCC Raw Film setting confusion

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Danny_Kutnink

BMCC Raw Film setting confusion

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 12:06 am

Hi this is my first post, sorry if it has been asked before, but I searched and could not find anything.

I've been shooting raw with both the recording and display settings on the film dynamic range, but when I plug my ssd into my computer the DNG stills look like they have been recorded on the video settings. They are not desaturated at all and don't look anything like how it looked on the camera screen.

I've double checked my settings and it has done this several times.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Darryl Gregory

Re: BMCC Raw Film setting confusion

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 12:12 am

Are you opening it in Resolve?
Click the camera icon and change these settings

Danny_Kutnink

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 12:18 am

My current iMac can't handle resolve with raw footage so I have been using Camera Raw with Adobe After Effects.

But also if I open the folder of a shot on my SSD the DNG files are all saturated.

Darryl Gregory

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 12:24 am

Adobe adds saturation automatically, Just De-saturate using the slider as needed.

Danny_Kutnink

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 1:09 am

Thank you for your help Daryl. It's not just Adobe though.

For example this is just a screenshot of me going into my ssd into a folder from the shot and hitting spacebar to preview the dng file.

Darryl Gregory

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 1:14 am

It does not matter, you have now saved the file since it was first opened in Adobe, if you clicked save or done tab in adobe raw (POP-UP) screen then it saves the .DNG with that color profile.

David Chapman

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 1:15 am

OS X and various Adobe apps all apply some sort of contrast and gamma adjustment. Only your NLE (Final Cut Pro or Premiere) will show it without any adjustments.

On a side note, I find that OS X preview and quick look appear more red than with Bridge or other Adobe apps. You can always set the setting in Adobe Camera Raw to as shot so it doesn't do one of its auto interpolations.
David Chapman
Just another creative dude with a camera.

David Chapman

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 1:19 am

By the way, if you have selected Film in the record settings, you'd be better off selecting Video in the Display settings. That way the camera's screen can apply the Rec 709 profile and you get a feeling of how the Film gamma will look later.
David Chapman
Just another creative dude with a camera.

Darryl Gregory

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 1:20 am

David Chapman wrote:OS X and various Adobe apps all apply some sort of contrast and gamma adjustment. Only your NLE (Final Cut Pro or Premiere) will show it without any adjustments.

On a side note, I find that OS X preview and quick look appear more red than with Bridge or other Adobe apps. You can always set the setting in Adobe Camera Raw to as shot so it doesn't do one of its auto interpolations.

"As Shot" is only for white balance.

Darryl Gregory

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 1:21 am

Danny you can't run Resolve lite on your iMac?
Last edited by Darryl Gregory on Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Danny_Kutnink

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 1:36 am

Yeah As shot is only for white balance. And I have not tried to run lite on my iMac as I was planning on picking up a mac pro soon.

I've heard resolve will run on my macbook pro though so I may try that out.

Darryl Gregory

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 1:39 am

Danny_Kutnink wrote:Yeah As shot is only for white balance. And I have not tried to run lite on my iMac as I was planning on picking up a mac pro soon.

I've heard resolve will run on my macbook pro though so I may try that out.

Yeah don't worry about adobe adding the saturation, even if it saved the .DNG, you can always fix it since it is still Cinema.DNG RAW.

Cheers

Danny_Kutnink

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 5:45 am

I got resolve lite to work and I figured it out.

Thank you guys for the help!

A_Deen

PostSat Dec 21, 2013 3:13 am

Hey Danny, I hope its not too far in the past for me to have missed you. Curious how you were able to get resolve lite to work with your RAW footage. I'm currently having the same problem. I can't tell if its a machine problem or a me problem. I've a base 2013 iMac and when I bring in the RAW dng it cripples Davinci forcing me to restart. I've tried after effects and I am having some problems there as well.

Best

adamroberts

PostSat Dec 21, 2013 8:08 am

Resolve requires a reasonably powerful GPU. The entry level iMac does not have a GPU that can run Resolve.

What issues are you having with AE?

m.snell-callanen

PostSun Dec 22, 2013 6:42 pm

I had the same confusion when I first got the camera and was using the beta version of Resolve. It seems to default to a saturated look in Resolve, so you have to manually go and change settings to see it as it truly is.

There's no way your spacebar previewing or looking at it in other software is actually changing the dng files. It's just applying a look during the preview.

Rakesh Malik

PostSun Dec 22, 2013 9:26 pm

You're right, it's not changing the DNG files, not even Adobe Camera Raw.

The camera records an XMP sidecar (or something like that, it's just an XML file containing some metadata about the DNG files) alongside the DNGs, and ALL camera raw software reads that, usually by default applying it. So if your sidecar file says you shot it with a color temperature of 6500 Kelvin, the raw decoder will apply a color balance setting for 6500 Kelvin, until you override it.

The preview image that ACR generates might actually be embedded into the DNG file though, I'm not certain; either way, the raw data remains untouched. It might alter the sidecar file with the settings it used when de-Bayering the image, but that still doesn't change the raw data.

Even in Resolve, the default behavior is to apply a rec 709 LUT to the raw footage unless you override it, which means that you're getting a teaser view of what it might look like if you amp the contrast and saturation up. Once I discovered the BMDFILM option though, well... wow.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Jules Bushell

PostSun Dec 22, 2013 11:36 pm

In Resolve,

Go to Color tab, Camera Raw. Change Color Space from Rec.709 to BMD Film.

Cheers,
Jules
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk

Return to DaVinci Resolve