Installation Trouble

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

SMDBRVA

Installation Trouble

PostThu Mar 05, 2020 3:37 pm

Good morning! I'm reaching out bc I am having trouble with the installation of DaVinci Resolve 16.1.2. After I installed the product, I wasn't able to locate it within the programs in my start menu program list and no dektop icon was installed. I thought that possibly some components had been installed and others hadn't, so I thought I would do a full uninstall/reinstall. I've uninstalled all associated files within my control panel, deleted program files within both C:\Program Files (x86) and C:\Program Files folders, and even dug through and deleted the AppData\Local and AppData\Roaming program folders, cleared cache, and deleted temp files. However, I keep getting an error when I try to REINSTALL it that a newer version is already installed and that I need to uninstall it from my control panel. :( I'm not sure what else could be lingering on my computer to prompt this message and I'm not able to reinstall the software. I've even tried deleting and re-downloading the installer in case that had somehow become corrupted... Same result. Please help :cry:

Jim Simon

Re: Installation Trouble

PostThu Mar 05, 2020 11:40 pm

Maybe try this? (I find it much better than the native Uninstaller.)

https://www.iobit.com/en/advanceduninstaller.php

Be sure to check Automatically remove residual files.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Mar 05, 2020 11:54 pm

The issue is due to a Resolve version setting in the Windows registry that the Resolve Installer checks before installing. Newer versions of Resolve can always be installed without uninstalling. But the same or older versions cannot (on Windows). If you didn't properly uninstall Resolve in the Windows Control Panel - Programs and Features area, then this registry entry did not get removed. And it's pretty unlikey a third party uninstaller will remove it.

In this thread, I explain how to edit the registry to remove the Resolve version info, which should allow the Resolve installer to work:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=67329&p=516009&hilit=regedit#p516009
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Jim Simon

PostFri Mar 06, 2020 12:00 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:it's pretty unlikey a third party uninstaller will remove it.

It has for me in the past when I wanted to go back a version, but only if the option to Automatically remove reesidual files is checked, as that will remove left over folders and registry entries. (It will also remove a database, so be careful.)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Milenc

PostSun Apr 05, 2020 6:38 pm

Hi! i had the same trouble. With Windows 10 system it seems that OS save the files twice: first in the Control Panel and second in a Local Host (i was becoming crazy to discover it :oops: are my first steps on PC´s world). So, finnally, the solution for me was:

1º After 4 days trying to delete all files, subfiles,temp files,.....I downloaded a free program to uninstall it, here you are the web (but you must download the 30 days for free with the PRO version to take this option, don´t worry you NO need to register/pay/credit card, just try, with this option you can go directly to my solution):

https://crystalidea.com/?source=uninsta ... =dlg_about (Uninstall Tool 3.5.9)

2º Click on "Run Key" , this action will show you the Local Host of your PC, and there....oh surprise! sure you have the Blackmagic folder that you think deleted!

3º the rute to find it there and delete both folders to can reinstall the new version without problems:
Equipo\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run (right click-delete)
Equipo\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Blackmagic Design (right click-delete)

4º Install normally the new version and enjoy ;-)

Hope I´ve helped!! :D

Return to DaVinci Resolve