Sync disk folders & Media bins?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Marble51

Sync disk folders & Media bins?

PostSun Mar 22, 2020 2:31 am

I couldn't think of a simple way to describe this (or to specify what I'm looking for when I search the reference manual). Even so, it is a perfectly simple requirement.

I was hoping that if I add files to a folder on my disk, and that folder is the source for a Media bin folder within DVR16, then the new file might appear in the appropriate bin folder. But it doesn't.

I can right-click on the folder in the Media Storage (Explorer or Finder view) panel of the Media Page and select "Refresh" and the newly added file will appear. However, I was hoping that it would also appear in the bin that was created using the disk folders as the "add media" source. Is there no way of keeping them in sync? It is trivial when there are only a few additions of changes but I am finding that I'm adding or removing several at a time from different folders.

I thought that relinking might help but that only seems to be relevant to already existing media. I have searched the manual but can't find an answer.

EDIT: I searched the forum and found this post from 2014 asking a similar question but the post remains unanswered:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=98091&hilit=media+refresh
Windows 10 PC; Intel i7-6700 CPU; 32 GB RAM; NVidia GTX 1070 GPU; DaVinci Resolve 16.1.2 (Free)

Seth Goldin

Re: Sync disk folders & Media bins?

PostSun Mar 22, 2020 4:08 am

This might be getting into XY problem territory. http://xyproblem.info/

What’s the use case? If you’re adding media into your storage, why wouldn’t you also know to add the same items into your bins?

Generally the reason you wouldn’t want a “live sync” is because this is an NLE, after all. The timelines and the bins are edited non-destructively. Sometimes you want to pare down items in a bin but you definitely don’t want to delete them from the disk.

And you could also want to move items around in bins, organizing them in different ways, but you definitely want them to stay intact in their original folders.

Can you elaborate on your workflow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
https://www.sethgoldin.com

Marble51

PostSun Mar 22, 2020 4:22 am

Seth Goldin wrote:If you’re adding media into your storage, why wouldn’t you also know to add the same items into your bins?

I have a folder on my disk which contains the media (photo stills) that I'm using in my project. I've found some more images that I've added to those folders. All I want is for those added images to also appear in the bin which was created initially when I dragged the folder from my storage area to the bin area.

If it isn't possible, then fine, I'll do it manually. I just thought that there might be something I'm missing like a refresh or update option to synchronise the folder and the bin.

Actually, I've discovered that it isn't so much of a problem as I thought because I can drag the storage folder over the bin folder again and it adds any new files without making duplicates of existing files. That's more or less what I needed anyhow.
Windows 10 PC; Intel i7-6700 CPU; 32 GB RAM; NVidia GTX 1070 GPU; DaVinci Resolve 16.1.2 (Free)

Jim Simon

PostSun Mar 22, 2020 1:44 pm

Marble51 wrote:I was hoping that if I add files to a folder on my disk...then the new file might appear in the appropriate bin folder.

That's not currently possible.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

herein2020

PostSun Mar 22, 2020 8:40 pm

I get what you were trying to do but I also agree this would be a bad idea. Having an NLE monitor folders in real time would eat up CPU that could be used for much more important things. Not to mention as the number of monitored folders grew, the resources required to do so would increase exponentially.
DR: 18.6.4 BUILD 19 Studio
CPU: Core i9-13900K 24 Cores@3.0GHz, 128GB of RAM
GPU: RTX 4080
Drives: NVME OS Drive, NVME RAID Array, NVME Cache Drive
Project Media: H.265 10 Bit 4:2:2 | Canon XF-AVC | Cinema Raw LT

Marble51

PostMon Mar 23, 2020 4:08 am

herein2020 wrote:I get what you were trying to do but I also agree this would be a bad idea. Having an NLE monitor folders in real time would eat up CPU that could be used for much more important things. Not to mention as the number of monitored folders grew, the resources required to do so would increase exponentially.

Yes, ok, I get your point. Clearly I'm a novice at this so things that seem reasonable to me will ring alarm bells with experienced users. I need a bit more time to start to understand how this process works.

On the plus side, I'm quite happy with the drag and drop method of keeping the folders in sync so we can consider this request closed. ;)

bryazana

PostThu Sep 17, 2020 12:18 am

I have been wanting this feature for 20 years. I always organise my drive first before going in to editing so that the folders all look the same. Every edit I work on has footage that comes in after editing begins and I have to add it to the drive folders. It would be great to have it sync up so I don't have to constantly look at both folders and compare manually. I think it would be an easy task for the computer to handle instead of taking up valuable time I could be editing. Doing it the manual way because that is what everyone is familiar with, doesn't make it better.

danielcortez

PostSun Oct 10, 2021 1:12 am

This is a good ideia!! Come on Black Magic, Wake Up! Each folder can be a option to AUTO SYNC ON/OFF in this way we can select only a Bin to auto update files from folders. This is very useful feature to creative process in editing, ex. when searching sound tracks and sfx for the folders.

Jacob Olivera

PostTue Nov 29, 2022 6:42 pm

danielcortez wrote:This is a good ideia!! Come on Black Magic, Wake Up! Each folder can be a option to AUTO SYNC ON/OFF in this way we can select only a Bin to auto update files from folders. This is very useful feature to creative process in editing, ex. when searching sound tracks and sfx for the folders.

I support this initiative, and this is basic, it's insane that we reached version 18 while having never addressed this.

DavidVogt

PostWed Nov 30, 2022 12:29 am

The best way to do this is the way Lightroom does it for stills. There is a command that resyncs any folder and imports the new pictures into the desired bin. If done as a specific user action, it would not impact the performance of the system while doing other things.
Mac Studio ultra
Monterey 12.4
128 GB ram
2 TB SSD
48 TB HD disc storage, multiple RAIDS

iconnel

PostSun Feb 19, 2023 4:07 pm

I would pay $100 for this feature, no questions asked. I lose a ton of time, effectiveness, and creativity importing new media as I edit.

The "this is an NLE" argument holds no water - just make the software warn you if a file goes missing, the same way it already does. I almost never delete things from my project folders - and last of all would be footage. Please consider this as a feature addition.

Jack Daniel Stanley

PostMon Dec 25, 2023 12:28 am

iconnel wrote:I would pay $100 for this feature, no questions asked. I lose a ton of time, effectiveness, and creativity importing new media as I edit.

The "this is an NLE" argument holds no water - just make the software warn you if a file goes missing, the same way it already does. I almost never delete things from my project folders - and last of all would be footage. Please consider this as a feature addition.

I was trying to figure out how to do this and found this which does what we're talking a bout -- I think, haven't looked into it much. $60. Creates Watch Folders. Called Superbins.

https://switchtake.com/superbins

I wanted to do this with my sound library. I have a folder, for example, called Jack's Foley Folder where I've saved footsteps and breath sounds and other things that I frequently find work the best. Yes I could find these files through the Sound Library feature in resolve but if I put in footsteps in the search field I get 548 results. I want to just be able to browse or search the folder of foot steps I've liked best over the last 15 years, not every one that I own.
2018 Intel MacBookPro ~ Radeon Pro 560X, 4GB ~ Intel UHD Graphics 630, 1.5GB ~ 32GB 2400MHz DDR4
Blackmagic eGPU ~ Radeon Pro 580, 8GB
External SSD1:Media & Proxies ~ External SSD2:Cache
RESOLVE:18.6.4 ~ macOS:14.1.2

iconnel

PostMon Dec 25, 2023 12:48 pm

Thank you! I bought Superbins last week. It's already saved me a lot of time.

Set up correctly, it will import AND highlight a file you download right into your media browser - you don't even have to search for it. Super slick.

I'm not sure yet how to configure it for multiple projects, but it may be easy.

Ryan Bloomer

PostTue Dec 26, 2023 3:07 pm

I’m interested to hear your feedback on the use of SuperBins, I’ve been exploring this as well.

When working with a small team (graphics, motion graphics, vfx, audio) having automated sync can significantly help if set up correctly. Some comments for organization and ingesting sounds like it assumes a single editor. For those who have multiple editors and multiple departments, eliminating the need for repetitive tasks or an assistant can help your bottom line.

I think there is a greater need for this type of integration within resolve natively, especially with the inclusion of cloud projects, camera to cloud workflows and the Blackmagic iPhone app. I know there’s a request forum, but without a use case scenario or specifics I don’t think it’s beneficial to post there. This is more of a general statement and observation.

I have made use of superbins for the purpose of frequently used assets. However managing these per library has its limitation. There are great tools in Resolve to mimic a DAM, but since it’s not designed as one exclusively, we all need to find the best workflows.

Return to DaVinci Resolve