Resolve 16 Won't Open

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

andri0905

Resolve 16 Won't Open

PostWed Mar 25, 2020 7:03 pm

Hey!

The problem is: Resolve won't open. No matter what I try. The problem started when I was grading and get repeated alerts that the program is unable to save the project and can't connect to the database. As this was happening, I received a message from the computer saying that the disk was almost full. I thought that Resolve couldn't save the project because the disk was full, and so I tried to delete render cache files from the project from inside the Playback -> Delete Render Cache dialogue. That didn't work at all, the cache files stayed in place and there was no way to save the work - so I quit the program without saving. After that, it would not open again - and still hasn't despite all efforts.

Once I've just re-installed it or restarted the computer, it will appear like it's starting up for about 1-2 seconds and then shut down. After that initial startup, and after getting the diagnostic report, every time I start the program it bounces once and nothing happens (so it appears like it's starting up for about a millisecond).

What I've tried is:

- Restarting the computer.
- Re-installing Resolve 16.2
- Installing older versions, such as 16.1.2, 16.1.1 and 16.0
- Trying to rid the computer of ALL Resolve related files, both manually and through UnInstall apps, as the uninstaller that comes with the software just doesn't work.
- Some other things I can't remember.

I'm working on a Hackintosh. I've been working with Resolve on this machine for at least 2 years now. This is the first time this has happened.

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO
Please help
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 19.01.50.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 19.01.50.png (283.42 KiB) Viewed 9752 times
Last edited by andri0905 on Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Resolve 16 Won't Open

PostWed Mar 25, 2020 8:25 pm

Providing a Resolve log file would be a helpful place to start.

Open Finder and navigate to /Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve and run CaptureLogs.

Send us the file that generates on your desktop.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

tomandallthat

PostWed Mar 25, 2020 11:56 pm

I'm having the same issue!
My log is at this link, along with my mac's SPX:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vaWeC ... PyqumgDXAo

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!
Tom Mungall
———
Quote of the day: “why do I always need help?”

Rohit Singhal

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Mar 26, 2020 5:37 am

tomandallthat wrote:I'm having the same issue!
My log is at this link, along with my mac's SPX:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vaWeC ... PyqumgDXAo

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Your config file is corrupted. Please follow these instructions to revive your Resolve - viewtopic.php?f=21&t=109849#p606315
Rohit Singhal
DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

andri0905

PostThu Mar 26, 2020 11:01 am

Here's my capture log, thanks for the quick reply!
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20200326-110009.tgz
(151.15 KiB) Downloaded 220 times

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Mar 26, 2020 5:08 pm

You have the same issue as Tom.

And the solution would normally be at the link Rohit posted above.

Unfortunately, your config.dat.bak file appears to be missing. I don't know how that can be, but it's not listed in the log capture.

In Finder, go to this folder:

/Users/andriharaldsson/Library/Preferences/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve

Verify if there is or is not a config.dat.bak file there. If there is, good news, assuming it has a file sized of 3 or 4 KB. Copy the config.dat.bak file to the config.dat file.

If there really is a config.dat.bak file, do this:

Rename config.dat to config.dat.bad, then Duplicate config.dat.bak and rename that copy config.dat

If there is not a config.dat.bak file, then just delete the config.dat file.

If you did need to delete config.dat, then launch Resolve. Once it opens, press the Command and comma keys simultaneously, which will open the Resolve Preferences window. It will be sitting in the Media Storage area.

The Media Storage list will be empty. Click the Add button, and then select a location that will be used for your cache and gallery files. I can't tell from the logs what your original location was. You need to select a location that the Resolve app can write to. You should be able to find the existing CacheClip folder. If you can find that, select that. Then save the preferences and restart Resolve.

If you had a config.dat.bak file you were able to copy to config.dat, then Resolve should just open normally and be ready to go.
Dwaine Maggart

Phantom640

PostTue Apr 07, 2020 2:55 am

Hi Dwaine,

Are you up for helping another stuck user?

I updated to 16.2 recently (March 28th) with no issues to speak of. When I tried to open it today it refuses to run.

Uninstalled and reinstalled 16.2
Thank goodness I found this thread! Followed the steps you listed (except I copied over the old config.data file with the config.data.bak file instead of relocating it before replacing it). The config.data file was 1kB.

Resolve log file
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wvUq8P ... sp=sharing

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Apr 07, 2020 4:25 pm

I'm up for it, but you'll need to make your Google link not ask for permission.

If you had a 1K config.dat file, that would prevent Resolve from starting. If you replaced it with the config.dat.bak, and that was 3 or 4K in size, that should have solved the problem.

Sounds like you did that? And Resolve still won't start?
Dwaine Maggart

Phantom640

PostTue Apr 07, 2020 8:42 pm

Thank you for the response and offer to help Dwaine. Resolve is back up and running but I’ve included an explanation in case you were interested.

Sorry about the trouble. I believe I successfully adjusted the permissions.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wvUq8P ... sp=sharing

The config.dat was 1K and the confit.dat.bak was 4K. It did not start up after I replaced the config.dat file. After submitting my post, I figured I might as work on another project while waiting for your reply. I opens After Effects and was greeted with an graphics card driver error. The prompt was to download a new approved driver or continue with risk of crashes.

I updated, rebooted and AE was working normally again.Curious if Resolve have suffered a driver issue as well, I tried launching it once more. It took longer than usual but it opened and worked without any problems for the rest of the night.

diego88rg

PostMon Apr 13, 2020 2:44 pm

Hi!

Resolve does not open for me as well.

I have tried everything and reinstalling Resolve, but it does not run.

Here is the file where you can see the crash dump, thanks!!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_1T-wD ... sp=sharing

diego88rg

PostTue Apr 14, 2020 7:05 pm

Hi!

Disregard it, the problem was due to the graphics controller, I have updated them and Resolve already runs! :D

Thanks!

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Apr 14, 2020 7:08 pm

Need a Windows System Information .NFO file.

Open Windows System Information, and do a File - Save to generate the file.
Dwaine Maggart

akhilsaipabbu

PostThu Sep 10, 2020 12:55 am

Even I have the same issue, I''m using Resolve 16.2.6. I click on the icon but nothing happens. When I checked the task manager background process, I can see davinci resolve in there. But it's just staying there and doesn't do anything.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-mJUBf ... sp=sharing
link fo the log file

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Sep 14, 2020 7:00 pm

Without an NFO file, I'm not as certain, but most likely this is a conflict with the Intel HD Graphics 530 driver. The easiest way to deal with that, is to remove it, using the process detailed in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=119852&hilit=+ddu#p659861
Dwaine Maggart

akhilsaipabbu

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 4:17 pm

Oh I'm sorry.
Please find the system NFO file and the resolve log zip file in the following folder

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Thanks you

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 5:29 pm

You have a pretty old NVIDIA driver installed for your GTX 960M GPU. You could try updating that to the current 452.06 version.

But I suspect that won't help, and you'll still need to use the DDU process to remove the Intel 530 driver.
Dwaine Maggart

akhilsaipabbu

PostThu Sep 17, 2020 8:51 pm

Mr. Maggart,

Thanks for the DDU solution. It was a great help.
But it only took me half way.
Once the Intel drivers are reset to default, Resolve successfully opened but it was a black screen. When I hower on the mouse in the locations of the icons, the cursor was changing. Then I have realised that factory version of drivers do not support the Resolve UI
So I installed the last but one iteration of intel graphics drivers and everything started working normal again.

Thank you very much.

NinjaAPG

PostTue Oct 06, 2020 10:17 pm

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VQGwqj ... sp=sharing

please help. i havent used resolve in awhile. when i went to open it wont open at all. i get the loading screen then it just disappears.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Oct 07, 2020 4:05 pm

Your config.dat file is corrupt. Fortunately, your config.dat.bak file looks OK. So we just need to make a copy of that, and rename it config.dat

You have no valid logs left, so I can't be sure where your config.dat file lives, but it's probably in this location:

\Users\tom\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Preferences

Go to that folder in File Explorer, and delete the config.dat file.

Now right click the config.dat.bak file and select Copy. Now select the Paste menu at the top. That should make a new file called config.dat - Copy.bak

Rename that new file to config.dat

Now Resolve will hopefully launch. If it doesn't, send a new Resolve log file.
Dwaine Maggart

Danny Blocher

PostThu Oct 08, 2020 2:37 am

I'm having a similar issue, Resolve will not open for me. Background info: Win 10 running on Dell XPS 9560 (Intel i7-7700HQ, NVIDIA GTX 1050, 32GB ram).

I have been using it on a project almost daily for the past few months with no issues. Now, when I attempt to open it nothing happens. Oddly, Resolve will show up in the task manager as a background process, but does not open. The Resolve loading ('splash') screen does not come up either. I uninstalled and reinstalled Resolve and get the same issue. I booted up in safe mode and tried to open it and the loading screen came up but got stuck at 'loading fairlight'. I tried to update drivers for my graphics card but it looks like they were up to date. Also checked windows update. Not sure where to go from here. I have a feeling its not a resolve issue, but dont know what to try next. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Here is a link to the capture logs: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Oct 08, 2020 5:27 am

Without a Windows System Information file, I can't be very helpful. Your issue is not a corrupt config.dat issue.

You have a graphics driver issue. Since it was working in 16.2.5, and apparently has stopped working in 16.2.7, the first thing I would suggest, is that you haven't updated the NVIDIA driver for your GTX1050, to the minimum recommended driver of 451.82. Install that, or a newer version.

Do that, and if you still have issues, send a Windows System Information .NFO file and a new Resolve log.
Dwaine Maggart

Simon Bauer

PostThu Oct 08, 2020 11:07 am

Hello, i'm having a similar issue. I get the Loading screen, but after a few seconds it just disappear. In the Task Manager it says, that there is no reply.

My System:
Windows 10 64bit
Radeon RX 590
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Six-Core
32 GB ram

Here is the link to the capture log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/11Ug04V ... sp=sharing
Last edited by Simon Bauer on Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danny Blocher

PostThu Oct 08, 2020 1:12 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Without a Windows System Information file, I can't be very helpful. Your issue is not a corrupt config.dat issue.

You have a graphics driver issue. Since it was working in 16.2.5, and apparently has stopped working in 16.2.7, the first thing I would suggest, is that you haven't updated the NVIDIA driver for your GTX1050, to the minimum recommended driver of 451.82. Install that, or a newer version.

Do that, and if you still have issues, send a Windows System Information .NFO file and a new Resolve log.

Technically, Resolve stopped working under 16.2.5, then I uninstalled it and reinstalled the current version, 16.2.7. Last night I did update the NVIDIA driver. I downloaded 456.38 and installed that and the driver version updated to 27.21.14.5638. Resolve still will not open, so here is the NFO file:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CVEZdv ... sp=sharing

Thanks!

alvink

PostTue Oct 27, 2020 8:29 am

Hi @Dwaine Maggart I have read through your forum on Davinci Resolve not opening.

I seem to be having a similar issue except my resolve only opens up in the background and I have no visual of where the program is. I have tried to End the task in Task Manager and relaunch DVR but no luck. I have also tried to restart my computer multiple times and still no luck. DVR seems to just be stuck in the Background Processes and not in the Apps tab within Task Manager.

I have tried the following methods to fix it:

1 . Uninstalled DVR via Windows control panel method. (DaVinci_Resolve_16.2.7_Windows)
(Deleted both of these folders.)
2. C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design
3. C:\Users\alvin\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design
4. Uninstalled Nvidia studio drivers (456.71-notebook-win10-64bit-international-nsd-dch-whql)
5. Rebooted PC and reinstalled Nvidia Studio drivers Via clean install option. (Nvidia Studio driver 456.71)
6. I manually gave permission to DVR in the firewall settings to be able to get access via Public / Private network.
7. (I have read in other forums that maybe programs like Logitech Hub causes DVR to not launch.) So I changed my windows startup boot programs to not include those. (later on uninstalled them but still no luck)
8. Tried to unplug all devices connected to the laptop. (monitor / keyboard / mouse.)
9. updated windows drivers. (windows 10 2004)

I have also tried the above steps with other version of DVR 16.2.5 / Nvidia studio driver 436.50 but no luck)

Since my Davinci resolve opens but stuck in the background so I'm not sure if these methods apply to me. Any guidance would be greatly apricated.

Here is my System info log / DVR log.

Thank you for the help,
much appreciated.
Alvin
Attachments
Stuck in background processes.jpg
Stuck in background processes.jpg (202.71 KiB) Viewed 8068 times

nityakashyap

PostThu Oct 29, 2020 7:19 am

Hi, I'm having this exact same issue!! I have a Macbook Pro 13 and I'm on MacOsCatalina10.15.7 (19H2). In addition, when I try to open up the CaptureLogs, it says "Not authorized to send Apple events to Finder." and below that it says "Not authorized to send Apple events to Finder. (-1743". If someone could help me I would really appreciate it! I've tried restarting my laptop, uninstalling and reinstalling, and installing different versions. I try to click on the app and it doesn't show anything.

Uli Plank

PostFri Oct 30, 2020 3:03 am

If that MBP 13" is older than 3 years, try Mojave. Catalina is such crap!
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Nov 03, 2020 12:44 am

On Catalina, you'll get that message when you run CaptureLogs, but the log file really will be generated, and should be on your desktop.
Dwaine Maggart

AbdullahAbtahi

PostWed Feb 03, 2021 1:18 am

I had the same problem, not launching for some reason after loading menu.

Please assist to troubleshoot. I've already tried to reinstall but no result.

https:// drive.google.com/file/d/1sKjOUDWyDqSem5EuRDD5wdhoNEvTNe0J/view?usp=sharing

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Feb 03, 2021 6:07 pm

You are using Resolve 16.0, a very old version. Install the current 16.2.8 version.

If you still have issues with that, send another log. Also open Windows System Information, select File - Save to generate a .NFO file and send that as well.
Dwaine Maggart

danieltobi

PostWed Jul 07, 2021 10:24 am

Please I am having a similar problem. Davinci resolve wont open. Can you just do a post where you summarise Everything. Is your intructions of folders and a config.dat file for windows alone. does it apply to mac as well because I can even find those Folders your mentioning. I cant find "app data folder where I can access a davinci folder" Please give a solution for mac.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jul 07, 2021 4:18 pm

Are you using Resolve from the BMD site, or Apple App Store Resolve?
Dwaine Maggart

socialnoon

PostFri Jan 14, 2022 6:46 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Providing a Resolve log file would be a helpful place to start.

Open Finder and navigate to /Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve and run CaptureLogs.

Send us the file that generates on your desktop.

Hi there, How can I send my logs as DaVinci resolve isnt opening my mac as well

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jan 14, 2022 7:41 pm

Are you using Resolve from the App Store, or from the BMD site?
Dwaine Maggart

PK Simone

PostThu Apr 14, 2022 6:26 pm

Hello this is happening to me in 17. It just stopped working in 17.3 I have since tried uninstall and reinstall a few times with 17.4 versions, most recently 17.4.4 Still cant get to the project manager stage.

I was originally able to open project manager and have exported all my project files and when bringing those to another machine everything is there and works fine. Just need to get back to working on my main machine.

Been working on Davinci for 3 years now and nothing like this has ever happened.

crash report and recent logs in folder below.

iMac Pro 2017
Mac osx Big Sur 11.5.2
3.2 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W
32GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GB

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Apr 14, 2022 6:39 pm

It appears that the crashing is related to some audio plugin issue in the VST and VST3 folders.

As a test, rename the /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST folder to /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST.temp

And rename /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST3 to /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST3.temp

That will prevent Resolve from trying to load the plugins in those folders.

Does Resolve launch after doing that? If so, you have a plugin issue. It appears related to:

Twist 2.vst in the VST folder

WaveShell-VST3 9.3.vst3 in the VST3 folder.
Dwaine Maggart

PK Simone

PostThu Apr 14, 2022 7:35 pm

Thanks for the reply. I am unable to rename because I think it is in the protected Library folder. But I also see there is nothing in that folder. Perhaps I have my VST's elsewhere and I didn't know it. let me check

PK Simone

PostThu Apr 14, 2022 7:46 pm

Ok found the correct Library folder. changed to VST.temp. Same issue, tried to open app, started to load screen, but crashed before getting to project manager.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Apr 14, 2022 8:26 pm

You need to rename both the VST and VST3 folders.
Dwaine Maggart

PK Simone

PostThu Apr 14, 2022 8:52 pm

ah ok, yes now both folders renamed now and same thing, Im watching the load commands on the bottom left of the load screen and it got all the way to "ready" and then crashes. Also restarted my computer.

My Ableton program which uses the same VST's opened with an error message , but it opened, but it referenced two different plugins in a VST2 folder, which does not exist where those other folders are.

Found another crash log from 4/11 labelled "davinci_resolve.log" and added it to the folder below.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Apr 14, 2022 8:59 pm

Please generate a proper Resolve diagnostics log for us.

In Finder, navigate to the /Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve folder, and double click CaptureLogs to run it. It will generate a Resolve log file on your Desktop. Send us that.
Dwaine Maggart

PK Simone

PostThu Apr 14, 2022 9:03 pm

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Apr 14, 2022 9:28 pm

In Finder, go to this folder:

/Users/patricksimone/Library/Preferences/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve

That will be a hidden folder, so you may need to do a ⌘ shift dot to allow you to see hidden files/folder, and or enter /Users/patricksimone/Library in the Finder - Go - Go to Folder menu and navigate from there.

Once you are in the /Users/patricksimone/Library/Preferences/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve folder, rename the dblist.conf file to dblist.conf.temp

Now launch Resolve. It will create a new dblist.conf file, and only be looking at the default Local Database.

If that works, that would indicate an issue with your one of your databases, likely the currently selected pkdatabase.

I see for that database, the path for the database is: /Users/patricksimone/Documents/*Resolve Databases/Resolve Disk Database

It's a very bad idea to put an * in a file or folder name. And I might suspect that's causing an issue. Especially if Resolve launches after renaming dblist.conf

If Resolve still doesn't launch after renaming dblist.conf, please run CaptureLogs again, and send an updated log file.
Dwaine Maggart

PK Simone

PostThu Apr 14, 2022 9:44 pm

Didnt work, here is the new capture logs

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Apr 14, 2022 10:45 pm

Running low on good suggestions. So as a sanity check, please install the current 17.4.6 version and see what it does. If it still won't launch, please send an updated log.
Dwaine Maggart

PK Simone

PostThu Apr 14, 2022 11:07 pm

Unfortunately no luck. Updated to 17.4.6 Uninstalled before reinstalling. It always asks to access a removeable drive when it installs and I allow.

New log below:

Really distraut here, need to send some commercial deliverables tonight and with the heavy graphics I dont know if my laptop will be able to handle the edits I need to make.

Should I just find a way to delete everything related to Resolve and try to start from scratch? My hunch is there is some corrupt database that it's still accessing or something.

Any help greatly appreciated tonight.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Apr 14, 2022 11:16 pm

Lets try one more simple thing:

Go to the /Users/patricksimone/Library/Preferences/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve folder again.

Rename the config.dat file to config.dat.temp

That will cause Resolve to create a new default config.dat file with default settings. In case there's something in the config settings causing an issue.
Dwaine Maggart

PK Simone

PostThu Apr 14, 2022 11:23 pm

Just did that and it opened right up!

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Apr 14, 2022 11:37 pm

OK, go ahead and delete or rename dblist.conf, and rename the dblist.conf.temp back to dblist.conf, to restore access to your databases.

And rename your VST and VST3 folders back to normal.

If I had to guess what in the config file was causing an issue, I'd guess it was the custom LUT path. Or maybe the Frame.io settings. But probably the LUT path.
Dwaine Maggart

PK Simone

PostThu Apr 14, 2022 11:40 pm

Thank you so much, I actually don't want to risk relinking the old databases so I will just import all the projects I actually use into a new system. There were a lot I didnt use. What do you suggest in terms of files to keep or not keep for that and just start fresh from here?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Apr 15, 2022 1:07 am

Not sure what you mean in regards to files to keep or not?
Dwaine Maggart
Next

Return to DaVinci Resolve