How to Fade Clips in and Out in Davinci Resolve 16.2

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

mbeeken22

How to Fade Clips in and Out in Davinci Resolve 16.2

PostThu Mar 26, 2020 3:50 pm

Hello all. I just stared using resolve about two days ago and I'm having issues with the fade in/fade out function. The Beginners Guide to Davinci Resolve says that you need to set your layout preset to Big Trim. However, that preset is not an option for me and my timeline is only viewable in the default, which means no small white tabs above media to easily fade in and out. I was wondering if anyone would be able to provide a comprehensive guide on how to set up my Edit timeline to the format I need to perform this function. Thank you!

Marc Wielage

Re: How to Fade Clips in and Out in Davinci Resolve 16.2

PostThu Mar 26, 2020 11:06 pm

mbeeken22 wrote:Hello all. I just stared using resolve about two days ago and I'm having issues with the fade in/fade out function. The Beginners Guide to Davinci Resolve says that you need to set your layout preset to Big Trim. However, that preset is not an option for me and my timeline is only viewable in the default, which means no small white tabs above media to easily fade in and out. I was wondering if anyone would be able to provide a comprehensive guide on how to set up my Edit timeline to the format I need to perform this function. Thank you!

What are your system specs? What screen resolution are you using?
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Jim Simon

PostFri Mar 27, 2020 1:30 pm

If Big Trim isn't a preset available under Layout, then you've skipped some steps in the tutorial where that preset is created.

Don't skip steps. Start from the beginning and do them all.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

IsraEliteMedia

PostFri Mar 27, 2020 1:34 pm

I quit using the "small white tabs" on the tops of the clip for one important reason. After you use on an audio or video clip, THE only way you can tell the exact length of the fade is to grab and pull it one way or another to see the length. You can of course undo but when hovering over the fade you should see the length duration automatically!

Often you need to match other fades exactly with other clips and knowing how long the fade is needed information. I don't want to have to drag it to see how long it is.

Erik
SYSTEM SPECS
DR Studio 18.6.6 (2 seats) Win 11 Pro (fully updated)
13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K 3.00 GHz
128GB RAM DDR5
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Studio Driver 551.86

Erik Davis, IsraEliteMedia--Zichron Yaakov, Israel

Return to DaVinci Resolve