Stop thumbnail timeline from jumping back to the start

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Luckless_Pedestrian

Stop thumbnail timeline from jumping back to the start

PostThu Mar 26, 2020 6:50 pm

Noob question:

In the colour panel I'll be grading a clip and intermittently playing it back. If I don't have the clip on loop the thumbnail timeline will then just jump back to the first clip in the timeline, rather than jumping to the next thumbnail in sequence. This can get really annoying when trying to balance grades between clips.

Is there a way of changing this so that the thumbnail timeline tracks across clips in sequence during playback? (nb. the mini timeline playhead does this without issue) It would massively benefit my workflow (so that I'm not constantly being shunted back to the start of the thumbnail timeline).

Thanks in advance for any tips, I'm sure this is probably a dopey question and I'm missing something obvious (I did comb through the Resolve manual but couldn't find a solution)...

Jim Simon

Re: Stop thumbnail timeline from jumping back to the start

PostThu Mar 26, 2020 9:30 pm

Luckless_Pedestrian wrote:Is there a way of changing this so that the thumbnail timeline tracks across clips in sequence during playback?

My question is how'd you get it not to, because it does precisely that by default.
Last edited by Jim Simon on Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luckless_Pedestrian

PostFri Mar 27, 2020 9:46 am

After further fiddling I've realised the problem was a PNG file that I'd been using as a letterbox overlay on one of the video tracks. This PNG spans the entirety of my timeline and shows up as the first clip on the thumbnail timeline in the colour tab. And so the thumbnail timeline kept jumping back to it during playback instead of sequentially tracking across each clip.

Workaround was simple - on the mini timeline in the colour tab I just hit shift-click on the video track containing the PNG file. This removed the PNG letterbox from the thumbnail timeline but kept it visible on the viewer. And now the thumbnail timeline tracks sequentially across clips during playback.

Jim Simon

PostFri Mar 27, 2020 1:15 pm

On a side note, there are better ways to get widescreen in Resolve.

My preference is to just use a timeline with the needed dimensions. Another is the Output Blanking feature.

Return to DaVinci Resolve