Disabled track is auto-selected

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

G0bble

Disabled track is auto-selected

PostSun Mar 29, 2020 3:01 pm

Hi folks
Noob question and confusion - I have my clips in track V1 and an adjustment layer in track V2. Every time I move the playhead (with selection follows playhead) the adjustment layer track V2 gets auto-selected and I inadvertently applied the actions to the adjustment layer by mistake making me backtrack on all the effort.
As you can see in the attached pic - I have disabled track V2 and the orange Destination Selector is also on track V1 - Yet when I position the playhead V2 is auto-selected:

DVRDisabledTrack.PNG
DVRDisabledTrack.PNG (26.18 KiB) Viewed 582 times

How do I ensure that the auto-selected track is always V1? I couldn't find anything in the manual around page 600 and around.

Edi: I just tried moving the adjustment track V2 down. Now the clip track is the top track V2 and auto-selected, however none of the settings in the adjustment layer track V1 are applied! which makes the whole exercise pointless... I need to tweak the color grading individually for each subclip in the timeline on the clips track, after the basic grade applied universally in the adjustment track , but I cannot do it if the adjustment layer is not applied just because it is not the top track...

So the issue can be summarized in two points -
1 Auto-Selection should observe disabled tracks and select the topmost track that is not disabled - which it doesn't currently
2 Adjustment layer need not be the top-most track for it to apply - but strangely it seems to require this. (there seems to be a bottom to top flow of operations and if the adjustment layer is the bottom track there is nothing for it to work on...).

Thanks
G
DVR Studio
Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 3900X, Nvidia RTX 3080FE,32GB RAM, SM951 M.2 AHCI SSD Boot, 512GB WD Blue nvme scratch

Tomek Sadowski

Re: Disabled track is auto-selected

PostSun Jun 13, 2021 9:58 pm

G0bble wrote:Hi folks
1 Auto-Selection should observe disabled tracks and select the topmost track that is not disabled - which it doesn't currently
Thanks
G

Any resolution?
Why disabled clips and disabled tracks are auto selected in "Selection follows playhead" mode? It's feature or bug?
Resolve Studio 17.2.2 | Speed Editor 1.4 | Win10Pro 20H2 | i9-9900KS | GTX1070 (462.59) | 32GB RAM

Peter Cave

PostSun Jun 13, 2021 11:07 pm

In this case the Auto-Select button takes precedence. It is the tool you need to use for nearly all selection operations to restrict selections to a track or selected multiple tracks. It affects ripple operations too.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Tomek Sadowski

PostSun Jun 13, 2021 11:54 pm

Peter Cave wrote:In this case the Auto-Select button takes precedence. It is the tool you need to use for nearly all selection operations to restrict selections to a track or selected multiple tracks. It affects ripple operations too.

But it is quite counterintuitive. "Selection follows playhead" should select clip that is actually playing, not the disabled clip over it?
Auto-Select button is ok in case of disabling whole track.
Is any other option other to skip disabled clips on given track (and auto-select active clips below) then return to topmost track when following clip is not disabled?

Or maybe there is a reason why it works the way it does now?
Resolve Studio 17.2.2 | Speed Editor 1.4 | Win10Pro 20H2 | i9-9900KS | GTX1070 (462.59) | 32GB RAM

Return to DaVinci Resolve