How do I switch to a straight line with PowerCurves?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

ospreysound

How do I switch to a straight line with PowerCurves?

PostSun Apr 05, 2020 10:32 pm

I'm trying to draw a Power Window using PowerCurves in Davinci Resolve but the area I want to mask has straight lines AND curves. After I click and drag to make a curve, how do I make the next segment a straight line? (So that there is a sharp corner).

For example, the image below I've drawn a curve and now I'd like to create a straight line from it, but it immediately starts off as a curve. Thanks.

xunile

Re: How do I switch to a straight line with PowerCurves?

PostMon Apr 06, 2020 12:14 am

You only have to click and drag the top point, the other points you can just click. You can then adjust the bezier handles on the top point to have it fit the curve.
Attachments
2020-04-05.png
2020-04-05.png (608.8 KiB) Viewed 2156 times
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

Marc Wielage

PostMon Apr 06, 2020 1:27 am

Center double-click on the point to turn a curve into a straight line. Use option-click-drag to move or extend just one side of a curve.

Somebody should do a tutorial just on the art of drawing good masks. I have to say, it's a lot easier in Fusion than it is in Resolve Color, and I wish the former would be incorporated into the latter.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

ospreysound

PostMon Apr 06, 2020 2:02 pm

Thanks guys. I'll give this a go.

Piiba_Manetta

PostWed May 24, 2023 1:20 pm

This thing is driving me crazy too.
In EVERY mask you do with the powercurves tool, you need to mix curve and straight line.
So i need to know if there is a shortcut for remove only the NEXT handle, not the PREVIOUS.
Becasue if i have done a curve, and then i have to make a straight line, if i double click on the center of the point it will remove both the next and the previous handle, making this shortcut useless.

For example, photoshop do this very well: if you press alt+click it will remove the next handle, so you can have a curve followed by straight line easly. And if you just click on the center it will remove both the handle.
Somethimes, copying the other program that works better could be a great idea, Blackmagic.

Does anybody have a video tutorial on how the powercurve works?

Return to DaVinci Resolve