Is it possible to sync multiple audio tracks to single video

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

danielpanev

Is it possible to sync multiple audio tracks to single video

PostFri Apr 10, 2020 12:32 pm

Hi all,

A stupid question, maybe, but I think I'll have to ask it: Is it possible somehow to sync multiple audio tracks to single video?
Imagine the following scenario: BMPCC4K connected to a Zoom F6 (so timecode is aligned) and 4 boom mics connected to the F6, recording on separate files. How do I sync the 4 audio files from the F6 to be perfectly aligned with the video? I need the 4 audio files on separate tracks so I can adjust the panning per each track through the course of the video...

Singularity

Re: Is it possible to sync multiple audio tracks to single v

PostFri Apr 10, 2020 12:41 pm

danielpanev wrote:Hi all,

A stupid question, maybe, but I think I'll have to ask it: Is it possible somehow to sync multiple audio tracks to single video?
Imagine the following scenario: BMPCC4K connected to a Zoom F6 (so timecode is aligned) and 4 boom mics connected to the F6, recording on separate files. How do I sync the 4 audio files from the F6 to be perfectly aligned with the video? I need the 4 audio files on separate tracks so I can adjust the panning per each track through the course of the video...

You can select all the files you want to sync, then right click any of them and choose either sync by timecode, or sync by waveform. In both options there is a choice to replace or append. In your case, you should append.
Resolve 18 Studio. Windows 11 Pro. Ryzen 2700x. GTX 3060. 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 RAM. ASUS Crosshair x370.

danielpanev

PostFri Apr 10, 2020 2:25 pm

Thank you Ki,

I'd guess this should do the trick - at least is does what I want with the 2 tracks I have in hand!

Gary Hango

PostFri Apr 10, 2020 4:56 pm

All your audio files should be the same duration so just sync one file by timecode with your camera file and then add the other audio files to the timeline, lining them up to the start of the synced audio track.
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700, 3.40GHz, 32.0 GB
MB: MSI, BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. A.60, 12/17/2015
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960, 2Gb
Resolve 18.1.1.0007(Free)

rick.lang

PostFri Apr 10, 2020 6:17 pm

Singularity wrote:You can select all the files you want to sync, then right click any of them and choose either sync by timecode, or sync by waveform. In both options there is a choice to replace or append. In your case, you should append.

Are you sure you can sync many concurrent audio files to a video track using Timecode? My understanding was as you mentioned, but I think that sync in the bins on the Media Page only syncs one. I have to manually align my other tracks to match the synced audio/video. Not a huge effort but a disappointment.

Everyone wants the feature in DaVinci Resolve on the Timeline to right-click and Timecode sync any number of audio tracks to a video track (or do it in the Media Page). BMD has made no commitment to do this, but there’s always hope that release 17 will include the feature.
Rick Lang

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Apr 10, 2020 9:55 pm

You can only sync one audio file PER video file using the Media page sync tools.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Manoel Flesch

PostTue Jun 08, 2021 1:26 pm

I have this exact problem. Recorded 3 seperate files with the Zoom H6 and now I am stuck when it comes to synchronizing and I basicly have to sacrifice the whole purpose of having seperate tracks

rick.lang

PostTue Jun 08, 2021 2:01 pm

Remember you can manually sync tracks in the timeline as needed. Usually that’s an easy option but not ideal.
Rick Lang

Jim Simon

PostTue Jun 08, 2021 2:18 pm

This thread is old. Version 17 adds the ability to sync multiple audio files per video.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

rick.lang

PostTue Jun 08, 2021 2:22 pm

Ah, thanks!
Rick Lang

Jump&Jive

PostSun Jun 13, 2021 8:31 am

Jim Simon wrote:This thread is old. Version 17 adds the ability to sync multiple audio files per video.

I just shot a run and gun job where I needed to record audio with three different external mics. I wanted to sync all three audio files manually to the (too degraded to sync automatically scratch audio on the video file!) video. When I manually synced the first audio file to the video, that worked AOK, but when I then tried to manually sync my other two audio files to the same video file, instead of adding a track (analagous the 'append' function in Resolve's autosync), when I select the linking button after lining my second audio file and the video file up, Resolve OVERWRITES the first audio file that I had synced. I looked in the Resolve 17 manual but the section on manually syncing is silent on how one can sync multiple audio files to a single video file. In short, for a doc shooter (or for dailies in general), having the ready and easy ability to manually sync multiple audio files to a video file, preferably as seperate tracks, is an essential important feature. Moreover, this does not appear on its face to be hugely complicated. If anyone in BMD or elsewhere knows how best to do this in Resolve 17 Studio, kindly point me to guidance. If this has not, in fact been made possible yet by BMD, I kindly request for BMD to design this in to the next round of Resolve updates, as soon as practically possible. Thank you.

Jim Simon

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 5:48 pm

Chapter 20 of the Reference Manual goes over this feature Thomas. (Pg. 360.)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jump&Jive

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 6:14 pm

Thanks, Jim, but, in fact, I already had read that section starting at p.360 of the reference manual closely and had tried to manually sync multiple audio files to a single video clip but it did not work. Moreover, if you read what starts on p.360 carefully, it is clear that this entire manual syncing section only refers to 'pairs' of files, not real life production sceneriaos where one may be recording the same subject with two or three mics at once and where you want to sync them all up to review and determine which. or which parts of each, will be best to use in your edit/audio edit.

Jim Simon

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 11:56 pm

Jump&Jive wrote:tried to manually sync multiple audio files
I wonder if you need to auto-sync multiple audio files, using either waveform or timecode.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

pbuedi

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 5:23 pm

Jump&Jive wrote:[...]but when I then tried to manually sync my other two audio files to the same video file, instead of adding a track (analagous the 'append' function in Resolve's autosync), when I select the linking button after lining my second audio file and the video file up, Resolve OVERWRITES the first audio file that I had synced.[...]

Exactly. It is strange that you can add Audio to an existing Video / Audio pair with the Auto Sync feature, but not when manually syncing. I created a post here (viewtopic.php?f=21&t=142989) about that and looking at the new posts in the last few days there are quite a few regarding Audio Sync. I hope this is an area they look into in the near future, because there seems to be some interest in more flexibility.

I am amazed at what we can do with Audio / Video Syncing in Resolve already, it´s just that tiny bit more to make it perfect (for now, everyone comes up with new ideas sooner or later, right?) :lol:

Return to DaVinci Resolve