Resolve 17 & NAB 2020 Virtual

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

timbutt2

Resolve 17 & NAB 2020 Virtual

PostTue Apr 14, 2020 3:50 am

Hi all. I hope everyone is doing well with isolation and quarantine. So NAB would have happened April 20-24th, and that's roughly when NAB 2020 Virtual is happening. So we're probably a week away from Blackmagic announcements for DaVinci Resolve.

It will probably be a live broadcast like this months earlier Live Production & Camera Update.

So what are you looking forward to seeing in Resolve 17?
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Cary Knoop

Re: Resolve 17 & NAB 2020 Virtual

PostTue Apr 14, 2020 4:56 am

timbutt2 wrote:Hi all. I hope everyone is doing well with isolation and quarantine. So NAB would have happened April 20-24th, and that's roughly when NAB 2020 Virtual is happening. So we're probably a week away from Blackmagic announcements for DaVinci Resolve.

It will probably be a live broadcast like this months earlier Live Production & Camera Update.

So what are you looking forward to seeing in Resolve 17?

Is Resolve development going on?
I thought development is mostly in Singapore and this place is currently under lockdown.

Rick van den Berg

PostTue Apr 14, 2020 5:29 am

I don't think we should assume anything.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Apr 14, 2020 7:39 am

We are in a 'work from home' condition. It's just not quite as easy or efficient as being in the one office so release schedules and projects are being reviewed, but we are all still working.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

timbutt2

PostTue Apr 14, 2020 9:43 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:We are in a 'work from home' condition. It's just not quite as easy or efficient as being in the one office so release schedules and projects are being reviewed, but we are all still working.

Thank you Peter for speaking up. I appreciate you giving everyone the update that work is being done even if it's slower than what would be optimum. We're all pretty excited for what you're cooking up.

In the meantime we can all at least still speculate on what's coming or even maybe give ideas in this thread.

For example: In Resolve 17 I'm hoping to see expanded Fusion abilities to work with Maya, Cinema 4D, Blender, etc. in ways that allow you to run one of those programs on your machine, but be able to save the native files and have it update the 3D objects/materials/etc. inside Fusion. In other words, work similar to the way that Cineware does between Cinema 4D and Effect Effects. This way you can update the file in the 3D program, save, and then open Resolve and the Fusion page and see the change reflected.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Uli Plank

PostTue Apr 14, 2020 10:09 am

Since Cinema4D is important for my work, I wholeheartedly second that. The integration with AE is excellent and the only reason I can't leave my last Adobe program behind.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Jim Simon

PostTue Apr 14, 2020 1:57 pm

There's three things that I would be very disappointed were they absent from the next release, features so essential for efficiency that the very need to ask for them is mind boggling.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=96353

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=96223

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=96222
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

rick.lang

PostTue Apr 14, 2020 2:37 pm

+1 on Sync in Timeline and I’d hope there’s an option to be able to sync more than one audio file to one video file in Media bins at least if Timecode is present on both.
Rick Lang

TYKHAN

PostTue Apr 14, 2020 3:08 pm

What I hope to see is that, Resolve start up much quicker and switching pages/Timeline/compound clips are faster. :)
Something like Lightworks.(The fastest on the planet)
BOARD: ASUS X99-E WS
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1650 v3 3.5GHz
RAM: 4x 16 Kingston DDR4 2133MHz ECC
GPU: GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Driver v472.12
PSU: Corsair RM750w
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.1 build 4

Marc Salvatore

PostTue Apr 14, 2020 6:07 pm

Thanks Peter.
ASUS X99-A/USB 3.1 / i7-5820K / 64gb ram / NVidea 2070 Super / Windows 10 / Resolve Studio / Speed Editor

ErykJaroszewicz

PostThu Apr 16, 2020 12:33 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:We are in a 'work from home' condition. It's just not quite as easy or efficient as being in the one office so release schedules and projects are being reviewed, but we are all still working.

Thank You Peter for giving us this 'sign', and thank you again for all years of yours massive work for us.

robin0112358

PostMon Apr 20, 2020 4:16 pm

There are many interface improvements I would like to see, in order to streamline workflow and the overall user experience. You don't notice interface impediments once you are used to them. But every new learner must stumble.

The Fusion, Color, and Fairlight menus are available across modes, but with their menu items greyed out. How about these menus are only visible when the context calls for them?

The different edit modes and the use of the Trim Edit / Dynamic Trim controls is very odd. If there are three edit modes there should be three buttons, or one button that toggles between three states. But instead we have two buttons, one of which is a toggle.

Adjusting custom zoom levels in the timeline is a pain. This would be much easier if the scroll had a thumb, which could be grabbed to zoom in and out. Many other applications use this method.

I like the Full / Detail / Custom zoom presets on the timeline, but multiple custom presets would be even better. Especially if these also moved the play head to a saved position. How handy would it be to have repeatable zoom/position markers?

The menus are cluttered with toggles and configuration settings that should instead be in dialogues. For example, on the Playback menu there are three items for caches and one for proxy mode. But the Performance Mode settings are in the User Settings dialogue window. How much easier would it be if these were all together? You could then easily see the performance configuration. The Save/Restore functions on the dialogue would then have greater utility.

Similarly the View menu can be stripped of all the "Show This" and "Show That" settings. One dialogue window can contain the lot of them. This would provide a less cluttered interface, savable presets, and consistency. Besides which, menus are difficult to navigate for those with reduced dexterity.

The reference manual tells us that there are three types of cache: Fusion Output Cache, Node Cache, and Sequence Cache. The various menu options refer to "Render Cache", "Fusion Memory Cache", "Color Cache", etc. Confusing!

I have other similar suggestions. Someone with new eyes really needs to take a close look at every setting and how it's accessed.
Robin Parmar
robinparmar.com | theatreofnoise.com | stolenmirror.com

robin0112358

PostTue Apr 21, 2020 10:40 pm

Also: We need to be able to change the colour of the interface. For classroom instruction the low-contrast grey is absolutely terrible, since projectors handle such monochromatic sources poorly.

I am sure it's a constant refrain, but why can't we have a proper dockable interface where we choose which panels are where... especially across two monitors?
Robin Parmar

Dermot Shane

PostWed Apr 22, 2020 12:54 am

here's a good place to drop v17+ requests:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=88857

Marc Wielage

PostWed Apr 22, 2020 1:43 am

robin0112358 wrote:I am sure it's a constant refrain, but why can't we have a proper dockable interface where we choose which panels are where... especially across two monitors?

From my understanding, this is hard-coded and cannot be changed. We asked for this when everybody began switching from daVinci 2K to daVinci Resolve. On the 2K, you could have multiple "pages" and rearrange every panel as you wanted; with Resolve, it was a fixed GUI. They did eventually provide a 2-screen GUI capability, and you can resize the GUI panels to a degree. Color, you're gonna have to figure out with the projector. I find with proper Rec709 calibration, the interface and the viewer looks fine, and I've been in plenty of classroom and convention environments that showed the Resolve interface.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

roger.magnusson

PostWed Apr 22, 2020 8:23 am

If it can't be changed because it's hard-coded the solution is to not have it hard-coded. :)

Resolve uses the Qt framework for UI elements and there's nothing in there that forces a fixed UI. It is however a very big task to rewrite all of that. Not exactly low-hanging fruit.

ErykJaroszewicz

PostWed Apr 22, 2020 9:07 am

Dermot Shane wrote:here's a good place to drop v17+ requests:

This topic is locked

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Apr 22, 2020 10:58 am

ErykJaroszewicz wrote:
Dermot Shane wrote:here's a good place to drop v17+ requests:

This topic is locked

viewforum.php?f=33

Put in a post for each feature request. Search if the feature has already been requested and comment on that post.
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

robin0112358

PostFri Apr 24, 2020 7:42 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:
robin0112358 wrote:Color, you're gonna have to figure out with the projector.

I deal with high quality FHD projectors but lecturers have no access to configuring them. Imagine the chaos if between every period one had to reset all the projector features? We don't even have remote controls, and this is standard practice in many institutions.

Changing colours in an application is not something to defer to a projector. Consider also providing access for people with less than ideal eye-sight. I find it hard to recommend a program but then say "and if you can't see the text, because the contrast defaults to super-low, then, uh, too bad".
Robin Parmar

Cyril Perrot-Botella

PostThu Jun 04, 2020 2:39 pm

IN COLOR

- move Stabiliser classic in the same menu like windows, stabilizer and FX
- Stabiliser on node and not on clip for more controls (multi stab)
- In preference user, possibility to choose stabiliser for default
- Possibility to add matte on compound node
- In Key/external matte, add invert matte and distortion
- Possibility to wipe in cinema viewer
- Image wipe with rotate, like fusion
- live preview desable by default
- Save Smart filters with the layout Presets
- Shortcut for navigate in pre goup, clip, post group and timeline
- shortcut for add in to new group, add in to current group and remove from group
- add into a new group with same pre and post group grade
- Export prores for PC
- Support for Prores RAW
- Boost contrast
- Openfx for Rolling shutter
- Big flotting windows for curves custom for more precision like old version of Davinci
- In cuves custom, editable spline just for the node selected, not for all the project
- Possibility to move up and down powergrade album in gallery
- Possibility to move up and down the groups in the list on the left
- Drag and drop the clip in the group on the left
- Possibility to change the name and delete group, directly in the list on the left, like powergrade album
- Add export 1D lut
- In Vectorscope add blue sky
- On the bottom of the viewer add chanel Red, Green, Blue, Black and White, and alpha
- Possibility to cancel grab all stills and grab missing stills
- Possibility to change parameter in camera raw, in mode clip, for all clips selected in the same time
- In Display node graph clean node graph
- Grab still (Master) with all, pregroup, clip, postgroup and timeline
- Save and name selection of multiple clips selected, for used with ripple node changes to selected clip and append node to selected clips
and it's like use multi group in group

- Beziers and curves on keyframe timeline
- Right clic on the node and active or desactive keyframe
- when I scroll in keyframe don't move Master, always in the top
- In timeline keyframes the same name for the corrector like the node (and the number)
- in timeline keyframes, navigation like tracker windows, keyframe by keyframe
- On the slider, on the bottom of the viewer, display keyframes for the node selected,
like the marker on the slider on the bottom of the viewer in edit, and color for keyframe actived or not actived.
- Active and desactive keyframes for all attributes, like inspector in Edit

- In color tracer choose timeline directly in color tracer

-------And please when i work with group and i clic on timeline, why there is this message ?-------

SWITCHING TO TIMELINE MODE IS DISABLED
Please disable ''timeline filter'' and ''show clip with handles'' to be
able to switch to timeline mode.
This message is useless.

If I click on timeline is that I want to go in timeline, so why not switch automatically ?????

IN EDIT

- Possibility to move the fonts for titles in inspector with the mouse scroll !

THX
Last edited by Cyril Perrot-Botella on Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cyril Perrot-Botella C.S.I
www.cyclopephotographie.com
Ryzen threadripper 3970X 4.3GHz
Liquid Cooler EVGA CLC 360 with 3 Noctua
Gigabyte Designare TRX40
Corsair vengeance LPX-254GB-DDR4-3200MHz
ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3090 Ti 24GB
DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K

Jim Simon

PostThu Jun 04, 2020 7:44 pm

There is a separate forum for Feature requests, Cyril.

viewforum.php?f=33

Best practice is to search first, to see if someone already asked. If not, post one idea per thread with a very brief description of the idea in the thread's title.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Cyril Perrot-Botella

PostFri Jun 05, 2020 12:12 pm

Jim Simon wrote:There is a separate forum for Feature requests, Cyril.

viewforum.php?f=33

Best practice is to search first, to see if someone already asked. If not, post one idea per thread with a very brief description of the idea in the thread's title.

I Know but the post for features requests is closed since August 8, 2019
Cyril Perrot-Botella C.S.I
www.cyclopephotographie.com
Ryzen threadripper 3970X 4.3GHz
Liquid Cooler EVGA CLC 360 with 3 Noctua
Gigabyte Designare TRX40
Corsair vengeance LPX-254GB-DDR4-3200MHz
ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3090 Ti 24GB
DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K

Jim Simon

PostFri Jun 05, 2020 1:23 pm

No, you start a new thread for each feature you want to request, after doing a search to see if it's already been requested.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Mel Matsuoka

PostFri Jun 05, 2020 7:52 pm

Jim Simon wrote:No, you start a new thread for each feature you want to request, after doing a search to see if it's already been requested.

Jim is correct. Laundry lists of feature requests aren't particularly useful or constructive, because there's no way to easily discuss or tabulate individual feature requests.

Make each of your feature requests a separate thread, so others can discuss it. If your feature request is a good or interesting one, more people will discuss it, and that thread will continue to float to the top of the list in the Feature Requests forum, which will in turn attract the attention of BMD engineering.
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

Return to DaVinci Resolve