Cannot open or import BRAW files

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

chrisandersondp

Cannot open or import BRAW files

PostTue Apr 14, 2020 4:29 pm

I've been using Resolve for several years, but this is my first time working with BRAW. We edited the footage in Premiere Pro with no problems, and created a XML for me to color in Resolve. The project imports the timeline just fine, but I am unable to add any of the BRAW clips to the project. When I use the import media function, the clips appear in the file explorer, but when I try to add them, nothing happens. I don't get an error message either, the clips just don't import. I also tried opening the clips with the Blackmagic RAW Player, and they won't open there either. That does give me an error message, saying "Failed to create BlackmagicRAW codec", and when I click 'ok' the player closes.

To make sure it wasn't a problem with my files or project, I tried all of this with the sample BRAW clips available from Blackmagic's website in a new Resolve project, and the same issues occurred.

I took a screenshot of the error message from the player and created the diagnostics log through Resolve, and both are in this google drive folder: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

My hardware/software info should be in my signature, but if you need any more information, just let me know.
DaVinci Resolve (free) Version 16.2.0.055
Windows 10 Home version 1909
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
GPU: Radeon RX 580 (8GB VRAM)
RAM: 8GB G.Skill Sniper
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro SSD (240GB)
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX

Dmitry Kitsov BMD

Blackmagic Design

Re: Cannot open or import BRAW files

PostTue Apr 14, 2020 9:03 pm

Hello, Chris,
try this:
Navigate to Resolve▸Preferences…▸System▸Decode Options and disable the use of GPU for Blackmagic Raw Decode.
Save, then restart.
Last edited by Dmitry Kitsov BMD on Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackmagic Design Sr.Technical Support Engineer

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Apr 14, 2020 9:57 pm

Unfortunately, that's not going to help. BRAW is not supported on an AMD Phenom II CPU system.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

chrisandersondp

PostTue Apr 14, 2020 10:02 pm

Thanks Dwaine,

I was afraid that might be the case, but I couldn't find any clear guidelines for supported CPUs.
I guess it's a good thing that I just bought a new processor, then! I'll try again when I have upgraded my system. Thank you for the help!
DaVinci Resolve (free) Version 16.2.0.055
Windows 10 Home version 1909
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
GPU: Radeon RX 580 (8GB VRAM)
RAM: 8GB G.Skill Sniper
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro SSD (240GB)
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX

enfeee

PostWed Apr 15, 2020 7:00 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Unfortunately, that's not going to help. BRAW is not supported on an AMD Phenom II CPU system.

How is this possible? Minimum requirement for braw says "AVX, AVX2 or SSE compatible chipset". Phenom II is SSE compatible. Many people has this issue and cant work with .braw

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Apr 16, 2020 1:06 am

The Phenom II CPU just does not support BRAW. Period. So no Phenom II system is going to work with BRAW files.

To be more explicit, BRAW requires AVX, AVX2 or SSE4.1 minimum support.

The Phenom II only has SSE4a support, not 4.1 support. So it won't work with BRAW.
Dwaine Maggart

ftodesco

PostThu Apr 16, 2020 1:50 pm

Hi , I am new user of BMPCC 4k ( but old user of BMPCC :) and also of BRAW . I am using following configuration ( Mac mini ) , no problem with all kind of files but with BRAW in DaVinci studio 16 I get simply the icon of the file in red "offline" and no way to see it ...

Braw 4kdci

Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6
Mac mini (2018)
3,2 Ghz intel core i7
Intel UHD graphics 630 1536 MB

Please let me know , thanks

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Apr 17, 2020 5:46 am

ftodesco wrote:Hi , I am new user of BMPCC 4k ( but old user of BMPCC :) and also of BRAW . I am using following configuration ( Mac mini ) , no problem with all kind of files but with BRAW in DaVinci studio 16 I get simply the icon of the file in red "offline" and no way to see it ...

Braw 4kdci

Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6
Mac mini (2018)
3,2 Ghz intel core i7
Intel UHD graphics 630 1536 MB

Please let me know , thanks

Please update your registration to inc your full real name.. then let us know if you are using 16.2?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

dorinjj

PostThu Feb 11, 2021 6:30 am

I have a system with Xeon processor (Intel SSE4.1, Intel SSE4.2, Intel AVX2), i can play braw files on it, but i can't import them in DaVinci Resolve (v 16.2.7.010). When i drag n drop the file or import the media, nothing happens.

Jim Simon

PostThu Feb 11, 2021 5:32 pm

Try using the Media Storage panel on the Media page, Dorin. Report back.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Feb 11, 2021 7:45 pm

If they are 12K BRAW files, you'll need to use 16.3b3.

And as Jim suggests, if you select the Media page, then use the Media Storage area at the top, and select the file from there, do you see the file?
Dwaine Maggart

dorinjj

PostThu Feb 11, 2021 10:57 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:If they are 12K BRAW files, you'll need to use 16.3b3.

And as Jim suggests, if you select the Media page, then use the Media Storage area at the top, and select the file from there, do you see the file?

It is a 12K file from here, https://downloads.blackmagicdesign.com/ ... 2.braw.zip
I will update the software and try again later.

dorinjj

PostMon Feb 15, 2021 11:33 pm

I installed 16.3b3 (taken from here, blackmagicdesign.com/support/family/davinci-resolve-and-fusion ) on a different system with i7-10750H and is working. Playback with the braw player and playback / editing in DaVinci Resolve seems to be ok (on Windows). :)

vikafilms

PostFri Oct 22, 2021 6:53 pm

I'm experiencing the same problem. No import in Resolve, no playback in Blackmagic RAW player.
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1070, latest GPU drivers

Disabling the checkbox "Use GPU for Blackmagic RAW decode" didn't help.

The BRAW files are 100% OK.

Just don't tell me Ryzen 9 is not supported too... It would be epic fail...

vikafilms

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 9:18 pm

Since "first post moderation" took almost 4 days, I've solved my issue by myself already.

I forgot to mention my Resolve version was 17.2.1. And the BRAWs I've deal with had more recent version as it turned out. Updating the Resolve solved the problem.

BUT. I'm strongly insist Blackmagic should add some user message for such cases. It's just sloppiness when user drops BRAW in Resolve and... gets nothing. Can't you check BRAW version? Don't you know current Resolve version and BRAW version it supports? Can't you show a message box with "Davinci Resolve vXX.XX.XX doesn't support BRAW vXX you trying to import. Please update your Davinci Resolve." Is it so hard? You'd save tons of customers time and nerves. And same for RAW Player.

Return to DaVinci Resolve