Collaborative mode over internet?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

studio1492

Collaborative mode over internet?

PostSun May 10, 2020 10:35 am

It is possible to connect through internet to a postgresql hosted on a remote Synology NAS?

Currently the postgreSQL database on the NAS can be accesed from my home's local network, but I want to make it accesable to a collaborator through internet who will work from his home.

I followed the steps at https://sondregronas.com/managing-postg ... gy-server/ but here is not specified how to connect from the internet to the database.

Thanks in advance
- MBP 14" M1 Pro 16GB, 1TB, 10 core CPU, 16 core GPU.
- Resolve Studio 18.6.4 @ macOS 13.6.2
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Speed Editor (gathering dust until killer custom keys arrive)
- Synology DS218

Jim Simon

Re: Collaborative mode over internet?

PostSun May 10, 2020 12:26 pm

I've read Peter (Resolve Project Manager) talking about this. If I recall correctly, the upshot is - don't.

What you're looking to do was designed to work over a network in the same building. Trying to do it over the Internet is asking for trouble.

You might try a forum search. Peter's response will be more detailed (and accurate).
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

studio1492

PostSun May 10, 2020 12:44 pm

Jim Simon wrote:was designed to work over a network in the same building. Trying to do it over the Internet is asking for trouble.

I'm asking for solutions Jim, not troubles.
DVR is a solution, not a trouble.
Troubles nowadays is an editing farms on the same building.
Each editor working at home is a realistic solution.

let's listen Peter solutions, it's urgent for many of us.
Last edited by studio1492 on Sun May 10, 2020 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Synology DS218

Jim Simon

PostSun May 10, 2020 12:45 pm

studio1492 wrote:Nowadays editor farms on the same building is trouble.

That's fear, not reality.

In any event, Peter would have the better answer, so that Search is still recommended.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

studio1492

PostSun May 10, 2020 1:04 pm

Jim Simon wrote:That's fear, not reality.

"Fear" is an emotion, "common sense" an attitude.

Even outside of the current historical events, on a normal world, collaborative editing between editors based on different locations/countries should be possible.
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Synology DS218

studio1492

PostMon May 11, 2020 9:22 am

Below I copy an answer that I received from Sondre:

This is completely possible, you'd only share the project file so you'd still need to find a way to share the media and set up Drive mapping within resolve. Security is the main concern though when sharing postgresql over WAN.

While making postgresql accessible from anywhere is easy to do, it's difficult to keep secure. It's just a matter of adding more lines to pg_hba.conf, as shown here: https://medium.com/@rimsovankiry/enable ... b6c5199a47

Be warned though that using "all all" entails that everything in postgres would be accessible from anywhere to anyone that manages to login (md5 at the end means you have to login via username/password, these are the users created in pgAdmin). I would strongly recommend you replace "all all" with a new user, with only access to the projects database and with a strong password if you're doing this approach.

For example, a user (whom would not be a superuser) called "Editor", with a strong password, with only access to the Projects database (created with pgAdmin), the pg_hba.conf line would be:
host Projects Editor 0.0.0.0/0 md5
or
host all Editor 0.0.0.0/0 md5

Then it's just a matter of forwarding the port (5432 i believe) through your router to the NAS and perform a reboot.
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Synology DS218

Uli Plank

PostMon May 11, 2020 9:29 am

Of course, it's possible, but if you don't have very fast connections, I'd suggest not sharing the database, but the projects. Initially, you'll need to take care that everybody has the media files, but it depends on the individual roles if they all need full-resolution files or smaller offline versions. Resolve is really good at exchanging (aka re-confirming) the media for final rendering.
Once everybody has the media or proxies under the same naming structure, you'll only need to exchange the .drp data, which are pretty small.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

roger.magnusson

PostMon May 11, 2020 9:38 am

Enabling it is the easy part. In reality the latency might make it unusable, depending on your tolerance for it.

True collaboration (with the "Enable Collaboration" option enabled) requires Live Save. This means that every single click makes a round trip over the internet and Resolve pauses until it's done. It's very noticeable when editing. With Live Save disabled (and Collaboration disabled) it's much better but then only one person at a time can work in a project.

BMD have said they are optimizing things like this so maybe it's better now than it used to be in v15 when I tried it.

ChipKng

PostMon May 11, 2020 9:50 am

I could imagine a safer way to use VPN. But frankly I'd try the Frame.Io integration which is about to enhance the collaboration.
Windows 10 | Resolve 18.0.3 Studio | GTX 1070Ti (studio 472.84) 8Gb VRAM | 32 Gb RAM | i7-4790K

Tobias Heilmann

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 6:40 pm

We just started working on this type of setup.

A M1 Mac Mini is hosting the Resolve Project Server.

I am connecting two machines locally through our 10Ge LAN network.

Our external collaborator is connected through a VPN connection and accessing the server.

This works very well.

The only struggle ist the paths for the Media as we need to host the media locally.

...working on that at the moment.
In Touch Media
Germany

System Info:

Resolve 18 b3
OS X 11.6.2

Model: Mac Pro 2019
Processor: 3,2 GHz 16-Core Intel Xeon W
RAM: 384 GB
GPU: (2) AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32 GB

Picture out via DeckLink 8K Pro
Audio Out via Motu 112D

mpetech

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 8:18 pm

It is doable but there are several factors to consider. VPN is the easiest way we have found. But the performance is not guaranteed. Here in the US, one colorist/editor in location A can have a great experience but another in location B can have a horrible one. Be prepared. We have several ISPs so we would flip the network connection. That solves it 90% of the time. Though you are still at the mercy of the internet. Some days latency is just too high there is nothing you can do.

You can share DB via VPN. You can also control a remote DR workstation.

Viewing video will depend on your standards. Some are OK with computer monitors. You can use live streaming service or roll your own (OBS, NDI, etc.) Those who need a broadcast monitor will need a local copy of the media. A decent 4:2:2 8 bit proxy usually works well enough. However, for HDR this is not acceptable. You will need the 10 bit 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 version (assuming this is for Netflix, HBO Max, Disney + level).

Tobias Heilmann

PostFri Apr 16, 2021 5:03 am

Yes, the connection as such works well.

The media is the big issue for us at this stage.

We need to work with local media at each location. However there seems to be no way to link media individually at each location. There is one path. If one person links the media, the other is Offline.

There also seems to be only shared locations for Stills, Cache.

Streaming any media is just not a viable and reliable solution for us.
In Touch Media
Germany

System Info:

Resolve 18 b3
OS X 11.6.2

Audio Out via Motu 112D

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostFri Apr 16, 2021 5:33 am

Tobias Heilmann wrote:Yes, the connection as such works well.

We need to work with local media at each location. However there seems to be no way to link media individually at each location. There is one path. If one person links the media, the other is Offline.

1) make the disk structure absolutely identical
2) mirror the data.....
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

roger.magnusson

PostFri Apr 16, 2021 8:33 am

Doesn't the "Mapped Mount" feature in Resolve solve the media path issue? Preferences > System > Media Storage. Double click the empty space in the Mapped Mount column and add the path you want to map to for that particular storage mount.

Robert Niessner

PostFri Apr 16, 2021 12:34 pm

Wouldn't a slightly different approach from BMD to the collaboration feature in Resolve help with working over the internet?

I could image a way like this:

* project server located in the company
* intelligent support for local media paths (proxy or full) at each remote place
* remote worker can claim the part of the project he/she is working on which locks it for others
* live save is done to the local storage and pushed back to project server after a release plus automatically in long intervals (like every hour or so)
* after a certain amount of idle time on the remote site the remote client does an auto-release so it doesn't block the part if the user is away and forgot to log out

That way you could avoid latency and keep on working even on bad connections.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

mpetech

PostFri Apr 16, 2021 1:08 pm

You have to enforce a proper drive structure. The same drive letter for all Windows users and the same volume name for all Mac users. Then Mapped Mount feature to bridge between each OS.

Tobias Heilmann

PostSat Apr 17, 2021 5:17 pm

mpetech wrote:

You have to enforce a proper drive structure. The same drive letter for all Windows users and the same volume name for all Mac users. Then Mapped Mount feature to bridge between each OS.

Yes, that makes sense. The only thing left to resolve then is the issue with the Cache path. A lot of stuff is rendered and written into the cache. I could cheat the location just as I am doing with the media but then nobody has the complete cache, ever.
In Touch Media
Germany

System Info:

Resolve 18 b3
OS X 11.6.2

Audio Out via Motu 112D

Uli Plank

PostSun Apr 18, 2021 1:44 am

Your cache should be very fast and so it makes more sense to have it locally.
I'd say it's better to clean it from time to time when you have done your part and others need to do the same.

This might be an interesting alternative, depending on your workflow: https://lesspain.software/kyno/features/
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Tobias Heilmann

PostSun Apr 18, 2021 1:52 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Your cache should be very fast and so it makes more sense to have it locally.
I'd say it's better to clean it from time to time when you have done your part and others need to do the same.

This might be an interesting alternative, depending on your workflow: https://lesspain.software/kyno/features/

We use frame.IO extensively, which provides a similar feature set as Kyno, I think. Very different approach, however.

We are really trying to tackle the collaboration issue, as it is built into Resolve - working an a project together, potentially simultaneously.
In Touch Media
Germany

System Info:

Resolve 18 b3
OS X 11.6.2

Audio Out via Motu 112D

Tobias Heilmann

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 8:05 pm

ok. So we have this working. The VPN connection is still slow, but we are working on that.

But the basic idea of having identical volume structures on both ends "tricks" Resolve into seeing all the media.
In Touch Media
Germany

System Info:

Resolve 18 b3
OS X 11.6.2

Audio Out via Motu 112D

peterjackson

PostSat May 01, 2021 3:23 pm

Use Wireguard.
5950x, 3090, 128GB.

Igor Riđanović

PostSat May 01, 2021 7:27 pm

This is possible if you are not using the collaboration mode where multiple users are accessing one project at the same time. The only limiting factors are network latency and bandwidth. When Resolve is in live save using the PostgreSQL I can already feel the UI latency when network latency is 5 ms or longer.

The Resolve collaboration mode over WAN will not work. In collaboration mode the instances of Resolve that are sharing a project communicate directly via TCP/IP. None of this is documented for end users and it is designed to work only when the Resolve instances are in the same subnet. I suspect it should work over VPN, but I have not tested it.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

roger.magnusson

PostSat May 01, 2021 9:25 pm

I tried collaboration over WireGuard VPN now and it does indeed work. You just have to allow the VPN subnet in PostgreSQL pg_hba.conf.

From being completely unusable over the internet in v15 due to latency and using a traditional VPN it's at least bearable in v17 with WireGuard. Of course, what's bearable for me might be unusable for someone else but the point is it's much better now than in older versions of Resolve and I assume WireGuard also helps.

Manoel Flesch

PostFri Oct 08, 2021 8:55 pm

roger.magnusson wrote:I tried collaboration over WireGuard VPN now and it does indeed work. You just have to allow the VPN subnet in PostgreSQL pg_hba.conf.

From being completely unusable over the internet in v15 due to latency and using a traditional VPN it's at least bearable in v17 with WireGuard. Of course, what's bearable for me might be unusable for someone else but the point is it's much better now than in older versions of Resolve and I assume WireGuard also helps.

Could you elaborate on how you set up WireGuard? I'm looking for a simple solution to allow several editors to work from home and use the collaboration features. I got the Project Server to work however working on the same project is impossible at the moment.

roger.magnusson

PostSat Oct 09, 2021 3:00 pm

I used a Point-to-Site setup, aka "Road Warrior", where individual users can connect via VPN as opposed to a Site-to-Site setup.

I added a Raspberry Pi 4 Model B to the network and installed the Wireguard server on it using https://www.pivpn.io, instructions are available here: https://www.wundertech.net/setup-wireguard-on-a-raspberry-pi-vpn-setup-tutorial/

When the Wireguard and firewall configurations are done, you need to allow the Wireguard VPN subnet on the PostgreSQL server (DaVinci Resolve Project Server) by editing pg_hba.conf.

Then install the official Wireguard client on the machines that will connect to the server.

cayubal

PostThu Apr 20, 2023 12:53 pm

Warming up this old thread.
Tobias Heilmann wrote:ok. So we have this working. The VPN connection is still slow, but we are working on that.
But the basic idea of having identical volume structures on both ends "tricks" Resolve into seeing all the media.

Is that still necessary these days in a "VPN scenario" (I am NOT talking Blackmagic Cloud, I know about that ;) )
Is there an easier way to work with local media at each location?

roger.magnusson

PostThu Apr 20, 2023 1:06 pm

Identical volume structure has never been needed as Resolve has the Mapped Mount feature to deal with different mounting points. Look for "Mapped Mount" in the "System and User Preferences" chapter of the manual, chapter 4 in v18.1.

cayubal

PostThu Apr 20, 2023 1:44 pm

Thanks roger!
But that does mean each user has to use the same media location (albeit mapped accordingly depending on their OS), right?

I'm trying to understand if this workflow is possible at all with Davinci v18.1 (not through the Blackmagic Cloud mind you).
I'm talking about a case similar to the one Tobias Heilmann has described:
At the office a Postgre db is setup and running. Media files are sitting on NAS.
"Locally" at the office everything is running fine.
Now User X connects from the homeoffice via VPN to that postgre db and opens a Multiuser project.
BUT she has all the media sitting on her machine in her home office. All media show as offline for her in the project.
When she reconnects the media to the files on her machine and saves the project
a user opening the project at the office will now see all files as offline.

From what I understand this workflow is no problemo when using the BM Cloud to "host" your project.
Wondering if it is possible when one hosts his files with postgre and connecting via VPN...

mpetech

PostThu Apr 20, 2023 1:47 pm

roger.magnusson wrote:Identical volume structure has never been needed as Resolve has the Mapped Mount feature to deal with different mounting points. Look for "Mapped Mount" in the "System and User Preferences" chapter of the manual, chapter 4 in v18.1.

If you have more than 2 colorists involved, you will eventually need to enforce some identical drive and folder structure. This is because the 3rd editor will eventually have a folder path that will conflict with the other 2 editors' structures. You can't point to the same drive letter for 2 different drives :D

roger.magnusson

PostThu Apr 20, 2023 1:53 pm

No, let's say for example, the NAS users all use the same mounting point for the files. They don't need to configure a mapped mounting point.

User X via VPN would configure a mapped mount to map the NAS path to where her local files are. This way when the project is saved the media is still pointing to the NAS, but paths are translated on the fly to the mapped mounting point only on her system.

roger.magnusson

PostThu Apr 20, 2023 1:56 pm

Yes, you should decide that everyone should map to the same path, but the local path can be different.

mpetech

PostThu Apr 20, 2023 2:56 pm

roger.magnusson wrote:No, let's say for example, the NAS users all use the same mounting point for the files. They don't need to configure a mapped mounting point.

User X via VPN would configure a mapped mount to map the NAS path to where her local files are. This way when the project is saved the media is still pointing to the NAS, but paths are translated on the fly to the mapped mounting point only on her system.

Yes, that works. I am talking about a more complex setup where you have 2nd (or 3rd or 4th) colorist. Each remote has its own set of drives. This is where the mount point will have its limits especially when addressing drive letters.
Colorist Y can be using the same drive letter as colorist X for a different drive. Then add more drives and the same drive letters and things can get out of hand fairly quickly.

Uli Plank

PostFri Apr 21, 2023 1:15 am

That would be a case for a really capable central storage and fast networking.
DR’s collaboration can handle it pretty fine, since the Color page has it’s locking on a per clip basis, so they can all work at the same time.

mpetech

PostFri Apr 21, 2023 2:16 pm

Uli Plank wrote:That would be a case for a really capable central storage and fast networking.
DR’s collaboration can handle it pretty fine, since the Color page has it’s locking on a per clip basis, so they can all work at the same time.

Central and fast storage over the internet?

The question was proper drive and folder structure when you have remote users collaborating but can involve local files.

Uli Plank

PostFri Apr 21, 2023 4:13 pm

As I already wrote, that’s a question of path mapping.

mpetech

PostFri Apr 21, 2023 6:18 pm

Uli Plank wrote:As I already wrote, that’s a question of path mapping.

Respectfully, I think we are going in circles. The discussion I was addressing was about if DR's path mapping is enough to support a collaborative environment that has more than 2 remote colorists with local drives. In our experience, no. Eventually, you will run into the same Windows drive letter overlapping to 2 different drives. You have to employ some sort of policy to ensure drive letters and paths are not repeated because path mapping will not solve this.

So I was not sure what you meant by the need for central storage.

yvanQU

PostFri Dec 15, 2023 1:18 pm

Hello every body
I finally succeed to enable collaborative mode with my Yunohost server.
This server host the progresql DB, has a Wireguard server
but...
Davinci currently works collaboratively via Wireguard VPN only if :
- a 1st user connects first via the local network to the local database IP (and without VPN client)
- and another connects afterwards to the database IP with the Wireguard client enabled.

The weird thing is the ip (locale of the yunohost server where postgresql is) which is displayed when this second user connects (but the name is displayed afterwards). And the chat works only "one way" from local to distant (remote user can send but don't see received messages)
DVRcollab.PNG
DVRcollab.PNG (9.7 KiB) Viewed 964 times

Any suggestion is welcome.

Return to DaVinci Resolve