iMac Pro for 6K multicam editing

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

davidzauner

iMac Pro for 6K multicam editing

PostThu Jun 04, 2020 3:21 pm

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the iMac Pro (8 core Xeon W, Radeon vega pro 56, 32gb RAM) with the performance in DR - especially for 4k & 6k multicam editing. Maybe a comparison to the Nvidia GTX 2080TI too?

Thanks
Resolve Studio 18.1
Win 10 Pro
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 3070 (Studio driver)

Harold Tomlinson

Re: iMac Pro for 6K multicam editing

PostSat Jun 06, 2020 2:24 am

I can't give you comparison information, but I can tell you that I like my iMac Pro. It has never used up the 64G, even with multi-cam 4k and 6k clips in a 4k timeline. Recently I have seen all the cores go to nearly full usage, but most of the time it is at about 10% usage. The internal GPU does often get very busy and its memory fills up (not with any errors). I also have an external GPU (Radeon VII) which Neat Video benchmark shows as about the same speed as the internal.

One of the nice things about the iMac Pro is the two Thunderbolt buses. I have a 4 SSD striped array connected on one bus and the eGPU on the other. I configured Neat Video noise reduction to use the eGPU so the load is split between the internal and external.

My only complaint is that recently I have been able to hear the fans. It probably just needs to have the dust blown out. The temperature is low enough.
---
Resolve Studio 18.1.1 /Fusion Studio 18.1.1
Mac Pro 2019 - 2.5 GHz 28-Core 240 GB
- AMD Radeon Pro W5700X 16 GB + Radeon VII 16GB
BMPCC6k - BMPCC4k - GH5s - GH4 - GoPro Hero 7 Black
vimeo.com/haroldtomlinson
creacom.smugmug.com

Return to DaVinci Resolve