Resolve is lagging all of the sudden.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

BillyRybka

Resolve is lagging all of the sudden.

PostMon Jun 08, 2020 7:54 pm

So for the last 4 days I have been having a lot of issues with resolve when it comes to smooth playback in the program. For projects that I smoothly edited a week ago I cannot play them back without Extreme lag now. It has been really screwing me up when it comes to getting my videos out so I really need help with this.
I have an i7-9750H, a RTX Quadro 5000 and 32gb of ram. I am editing off of a SSD drive that hasn't given me any issues before. The only time I had any fix to this is when I uninstalled it and reinstalled it. Now its back to messing up again.
Ryzen 3700X
64Gb Ram DDR4 3200
Nvidia RTX 2080ti
1tb m.2ssd + 2tb ssd
Dual 4k Monitors

Jim Simon

Re: Resolve is lagging all of the sudden.

PostTue Jun 09, 2020 12:03 pm

What are the media specs? Timeline specs? Are you using Optimized Media? If so, at what specs?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Trensharo

PostThu Jun 11, 2020 1:44 am

I think it has something to do with a recent update. Multiple people reporting this on the forum, now.

plumberbm

PostSun Oct 11, 2020 9:28 am

I had an error message on the memory and video was lagging and choppy on playback.

Now it is running aok when I found I had different settings 1080 30 and 1080 60 in Resolve. After resetting all to the same 1080 30, my video playback is smooth. And no more memory error message. Check yours and see.

I am new to Resolve. Thought there should be just 1 place for video resolution setting, otherwise, user may put in different settings as I did.

Cheerio.

bearwrestler101

PostTue Oct 20, 2020 9:57 pm

BillyRybka wrote:So for the last 4 days I have been having a lot of issues with resolve when it comes to smooth playback in the program. For projects that I smoothly edited a week ago I cannot play them back without Extreme lag now. It has been really screwing me up when it comes to getting my videos out so I really need help with this.
I have an i7-9750H, a RTX Quadro 5000 and 32gb of ram. I am editing off of a SSD drive that hasn't given me any issues before. The only time I had any fix to this is when I uninstalled it and reinstalled it. Now its back to messing up again.

Were you able to find a solution? I am experiencing the same problem. Tried reinstalling, tried countless things mentioned in forums, reddit, and YouTube. It was working fine earlier this summer and now all of a sudden playback is very laggy without using much of my system at all. To note, there is very minimal lag when I play them at 30 fps but I want to edit them in 60 like I have been doing without problem before.

jensenni

PostSat Feb 13, 2021 8:45 pm

Suggestion:

In resolve --> file --> project settings --> master settings - scroll down all the way and change the 'Retime Process' from 'Optical Flow' to 'Nearest'. I must have enabled it at some point but turning that off solved the sudden playback lag for me (and I didn't even use any retime on my clips at all.)

Return to DaVinci Resolve