Auto sync audio still not working for me

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

ajzapf

Auto sync audio still not working for me

PostFri Jun 12, 2020 2:45 pm

The "Auto Sync Audio" is still not working for me.

For the most part I have switched over to Devinci from Premiere but not being able to sync the audio is the last thing that is keeping me from being able to use Davinci.

Here is my workflow. I record my video on a pro Sony video camera. I when I record the video I record sound on the camera just for a reference to line up my the WAV files in post.

I record audio on a Zoom F8n, or F6, or Sound Devices. I then edit those WAV files in Studio One Pro 4 and then mix-down to one stereo WAV file.

I add Video to Devinci Resolve, cut close to what will be used, very close to the WAV file used. I go to edit and drop in the WAV file from Studio One. I highlight/select the movie.mxf and the wave file, right click pick "Auto Sync Audio > Based On Wav" and then it thinks and I get--No Match was found when attempting to sync these clips. FYI this works EVERY time in Premiere.

I have a work around for not being able to not use ASIO (THAT I DON'T LIKE), But there is no work around for the audio not syncing. I have posted on this before, can you please look into this?
Last edited by ajzapf on Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dad • IT Pro • Photographer • YouTube Creator
Windows 11, DaVinci Resolve 18.6, Studio One 6 Pro
Dell R7920 2x Xeon Gold 6242R 3.10GHz, 40-Cores, 64GB DDR4 RAM
GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, 2 Dell UP2516D Monitors
2 WD BLACK 1TB NVMe - 36TB's on Server Drive

Jim Simon

Re: Auto sync audio still no working for me

PostFri Jun 12, 2020 2:50 pm

ajzapf wrote:I then edit those WAV files in Studio One Pro 4

Skip that. Do your audio post in Fairlight. Doing it first is changing the audio sufficiently that it can't sync properly.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

ajzapf

PostWed Jun 17, 2020 11:56 pm

Sorry I will never use, Fairlight. Fairlight doesn't even support ASIO so how do I do MIDI, my keyboards, USB instraments, Kontakt Instruments, synths, etc..., Again Fairlight doesnt even work with ASIO!

I have to do my audio first, I have 4-8 tracks, I need to mix all and mix down to one Stereo WAV.

I love studio One. I have used it for years and will never use anything else. I do way more audio then I ever will video. Its like 10 to 1 just audio. Only on rear occasions do I need to add video to my audio.

I have to much going on in all my audio tracks, the video is a very small part.

And secondly if Studio One changes the WAV files so much then why do the sync every time in Premiere?

Jim Simon

PostThu Jun 18, 2020 1:17 pm

They're different programs. You can't necessarily expect identical performance.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

ajzapf

PostFri Jun 19, 2020 3:20 am

I just wish Davinci Resolve would sync. I can do it by eye but I record a WAV on the camera just for the purpose to use for syncing. I I think I would have to spend a lot to get Timecode syncing to work.

Jim Simon

PostFri Jun 19, 2020 2:13 pm

My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

ajzapf

Re: Auto sync audio still not working for me

PostSun Jun 21, 2020 2:56 am

I don't shoot with a GoPro.

I would need a device that hooks to the Sony pwz-150 and hooks to the Zoom F8n syncing both of them with the time-code. and then I don't even know if that would work. the camera doesn't have a way to connect directly to the Zoom :cry: . I wish it did because it would auto start the zoom recording when the camera started. I don't know what device I need.

Jason Conrad

PostSun Jun 21, 2020 5:00 am

I haven't looked into your devices specifically, but Tentacle makes some affordable gear for timecode sync. https://tentaclesync.com

But before you get into all that, you need to work through the audio sync workflow as it's described in the manual by the letter. It does not work like Premiere. For one thing, in Resolve, the organization of your Bin structure matters when you're trying to auto-sync audio.

For another thing, when Resolve syncs your sound, whether by auto or manual, it "links" the files more robustly: the new audio file is treated the same way the old one would have been throughout the rest of the interface. In Premiere, it's more like a timeline/sequence-level association.

I've found that Premiere is generally better at finding a match, but not by such a significant margin that I mind. I'd say that for a bin of 20 clips or so, if Premiere can find all the matches, Resolve might miss two or three. But keeping multitrack audio synced in Premiere with an edit-friendly, nondestructive-delivery-to-audio-dept way is nearly impossible. The best solution I've found involves nested subsequences, which are a nightmare to edit. So, I prefer manually syncing a few clips in Resolve for a generally more pleasant experience afterwards.

Jim's right that keeping the audio as unaltered as possible before you sync should help, but if you aren't getting *any* matches, that's probably not the issue.
-MacBook Pro (14,3) i7 2.9 GHz 16 GB, Intel 630, AMD 560 x1
-[DR 17.0 Beta9]

Jim Simon

PostSun Jun 21, 2020 2:35 pm

ajzapf wrote:I don't know what device I need.

That can be handled with research. I'll be doing some of that myself once things open back up and I can work again. Getting sync timecode on my Zoom F4 and P4K's would be a nice time saver.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Phoenix619

PostSat Dec 26, 2020 4:23 am

Jim Simon wrote:
ajzapf wrote:I don't know what device I need.

That can be handled with research. I'll be doing some of that myself once things open back up and I can work again. Getting sync timecode on my Zoom F4 and P4K's would be a nice time saver.

Did you manage to find a solution for syncing mxf files? I'm having lots of trouble syncing mxf files when it works flawlessly in premiere

Return to DaVinci Resolve