Are (third party) transitions not GPU-accelerated?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

irrbloss

Are (third party) transitions not GPU-accelerated?

PostWed Jul 01, 2020 7:01 pm

Hi, I just got an eGPU for my MBP. It accelerates a lot of things - playing the timeline with OFX-plugins/effects, better response when working with the color-tools, a lot faster rendering times. But it does not accelerates transitions. I bought a third party transitions pack for Davinci Resolve (Camera Move Pro). When playing those everything slows down and stutters. So my question is if transitions (I guess Fusion-scripts?) will not benefit at all from a fast GPU? Or have I missed any settings somewhere?

Mark Grgurev

Re: Are (third party) transitions not GPU-accelerated?

PostWed Jul 01, 2020 10:18 pm

It would depend on whether or not the plugin supports GPU acceleration.

cstn40

PostThu Jul 02, 2020 2:52 am

Hi Irrbloss, Wondering what eGPU you are using. I just finished a job with many matte/key'd elements and my poor MacBookPro (2018 15") didn't like it at all. There are many eGPU builds out there, but I've not read many working all that well. Thanks

irrbloss

PostThu Jul 02, 2020 8:36 am

cstn40 wrote:Hi Irrbloss, Wondering what eGPU you are using. I just finished a job with many matte/key'd elements and my poor MacBookPro (2018 15") didn't like it at all. There are many eGPU builds out there, but I've not read many working all that well. Thanks

I'm working on a 2017 MacBook Pro 13", so I guess any GPU would improve things for me :). I got a Razer Core X eGPU with a Radeon RX 5700 XT. I was looking for a Vega 64, but couldn't find any second hand for sale. I think the Vega 64 would be a better choice than the RX 5700. The Blackmagic RAW Speed Test gives a score of 30 fps for 6k BRAW 12:1 without the GPU, and with the GPU i get 52 fps.

cstn40

PostThu Jul 02, 2020 3:43 pm

Thank you for the info. I will report back if I learn anything useful.

Return to DaVinci Resolve