Undo not working with Shared Nodes

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Mel Matsuoka

Undo not working with Shared Nodes

PostWed Jul 08, 2020 9:36 pm

In Resolve 16.2.3 on macOS 10.14.6, the "Undo" function does not work with any operations performed on a Shared Node.

When you switch to a non-shared node in the same node-graph, then changing a parameter in that node, the Undo function works as expected.

An interesting observation is that when you initially perform the Undo (either via keyboard shortcut, or from the "Edit/Undo" menu command), the node thumbnail (and only the thumbnail....not the actual Viewer )momentarily flashes to display the results of the previous operation that you want to undo to, but then the thumbnail reverts back to the current state of the grade.

Logfiles attached. Also, here's a screencast of what I'm seeing on my system:

Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20200708-112408.zip
(567.83 KiB) Downloaded 269 times
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

Jim Simon

Re: Undo not working with Shared Nodes

PostThu Jul 09, 2020 2:07 pm

I'm not positive, but I thought that Undo on the color page works on a per-clip basis, not a per-node basis.

As Shared Nodes apply to many clips at once, it may be understandable why it doesn't work the same.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Mel Matsuoka

PostFri Jul 10, 2020 2:37 am

Jim Simon wrote:I'm not positive, but I thought that Undo on the color page works on a per-clip basis, not a per-node basis.

As Shared Nodes apply to many clips at once, it may be understandable why it doesn't work the same.

That does makes sense, conceptually. But being that the whole point of a "shared" node is to share the settings of that node across multiple clips, then it should also honor Undos, because practically speaking, an "Undo" is still a change to the existing state of that node, no different from any other change you might make to the node normally.

Similar to the other recent thread regarding cache invalidation across multiple clips when disabling Shared Nodes, Undo's should work the same way.
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

Jim Simon

PostFri Jul 10, 2020 11:08 pm

Well, you know where to go for "shoulds". ;)

viewforum.php?f=33
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

peterfox

PostThu Dec 09, 2021 2:10 pm

Yes, this is a huge bummer. I recently started to work with shared node, the idea is GREAT, but in this state (without undos) its completely useless for me! If you change colors and want to undo a step you re screwed! Please add undos to shared nodes BM! :roll:

Return to DaVinci Resolve