Suggestions for timeline HDR colorspace using photos

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

George Ross

Suggestions for timeline HDR colorspace using photos

PostThu Jul 09, 2020 2:39 pm

Try this scenario; you need to setup Resolve to make a UHD HDR video. All your media files are 16-bit .psd files, edited from RAW photos shot in Adobe RGB, to preserve the full spectrum color for HDR.

• I had assumed the timeline would need to be in an HDR compatible colorspace. (?)
• I assumed no adjustments would be needed in the timeline for color, contrast & brightness. After all, the media is 16-bit .psd files, fully edited. Why would they need any?
• The above was not the case. I had to make many adjustments as the early renders were extremely over color saturated & crushed blacks.

I was successful making the montage of photos in UHD HDR. I am happy with the results as the montage is of personal National Park photos of that look great in HDR on our OLED TV. But I can’t help feel I need to ask questions because I needed to work around a number of issues I did not expect. As I mentioned, found many helpful tips on the internet but few address my issues as the focus was on RAW or Log video, etc, which makes sense.

I have included my Resolve preferences & color management settings. Keep in mind there were numerous color & other adjustments for each photo in the timeline to get the desired results. I didn’t think any would be needed. Why would they need any? They’re 16-bit .psd files.

So, I assume my approach was wrong. What changes would have improved my results?

Master Settings.jpg
Master Settings.jpg (147.52 KiB) Viewed 667 times

Project Settings - Color Management.jpg
Project Settings - Color Management.jpg (182.98 KiB) Viewed 667 times

Scopes.jpg
Scopes.jpg (90.85 KiB) Viewed 667 times

Hendrik Proosa

Re: Suggestions for timeline HDR colorspace using photos

PostThu Jul 09, 2020 5:02 pm

How did you interpret the stills colorspace wise? Project input colorspace is set to bypass so no meaningful conversion takes place from AdobeRGB ro ACEScc. Bit depth, psd, from raw etc are pretty much irrelevant here, problem is in properly getting your source colorspace converted to working space. First hurdle you need to jump is that AdobeRGB is not a supported colorspace in Resolve.
I do stuff.

George Ross

Re: Suggestions for timeline HDR colorspace using photos

PostThu Jul 09, 2020 7:05 pm

Hendrik Proosa wrote:How did you interpret the stills colorspace wise? Project input colorspace is set to bypass so no meaningful conversion takes place from AdobeRGB ro ACEScc. Bit depth, psd, from raw etc are pretty much irrelevant here, problem is in properly getting your source colorspace converted to working space. First hurdle you need to jump is that AdobeRGB is not a supported colorspace in Resolve.

Thanks. As you can tell I am new to Resolve.

See below. Honestly, I tried so many scenarios but settled on this; I added a NODE, OpenFX / Color Space Transform & set Input to either Rec2100 or Rec2020 & Input Gama to Rec2100-ST2084, then added other Nodes to adjust color, etc.
Overall, the finished video looks good. HDR flag indicates the video is HDR. The camera was set to Adobe RGB. Maybe in Photoshop the colorspace was sRGB because the psd files looked fine once adjusted & rendered.
Nodes.JPG
Nodes.JPG (48.51 KiB) Viewed 452 times

Return to DaVinci Resolve