RTX 2070 Super over 5700 XT in free Resolve 16?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

whcvip

RTX 2070 Super over 5700 XT in free Resolve 16?

PostFri Jul 31, 2020 6:15 pm

Will I benefit anything upgrading my GPU from 5700 XT to 2070 Super (or 2080 Super) with up to H264, mp4, 1440p/4K files with the free version of Resolve 16?, getting sluggish/lagging timeline and only really utilizing the CPU when "scrubbing" in cut and edit mode. Right now am only getting 10% GPU utilization and 60% CPU utilization when exporting, about 20 min to export a 35 min 1440p video at the YouTube preset at 60fps 1440p, seems very slow IMO.

Want to move any from Apple, their hardware is just so overpriced for what you get, but man Final Cut Pro X just so damn well optimized, not fount any one time buy app on Windows that comes close, but Resolve defiantly could do det job just fine, but the I can export faster from a laptop with a 6 core CPU than a desktop with 12 core CPU, than something is off I think.

Plan to get studio version in future, IF I can fully test first and get fast render and smooth timeline.

My system:
X570 Motherboard
Ryzen 9 3900X CPU
5700 XT GPU
64GB 3200Mhz RAM
NVME SSD

Another problem, opening the app is WERY slow, "looking for control surfaces" screen stuck for quite some time, have it installed on my fast SSD 5G/s read/write.

Jim Simon

• Warnings: 1

Re: RTX 2070 Super over 5700 XT in free Resolve 16?

PostSat Aug 01, 2020 2:37 pm

On Windows, the GPU can be used for decoding and encoding only in the Studio version. You won't be able to 'test' GPU utilization as desired.

Carsten Sellberg

PostSat Aug 01, 2020 7:35 pm

Hi.

We are all waiting for the next gen AMD High END Navi and the coming 7nm nVidea Ampere Graphic Cards.
They are both scheduled for 2nd half of 2020. Competition will be good for us consumers.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

whcvip

PostSat Aug 01, 2020 10:53 pm

Jim Simon wrote:On Windows, the GPU can be used for decoding and encoding only in the Studio version. You won't be able to 'test' GPU utilization as desired.

Ok thanks, hope that BlackMAgic will relese a version for the Windows store like on the Mac, just strange I have to order a licence key, and have it shipped, that is a little old scool IMO :).

whcvip

PostSat Aug 01, 2020 11:12 pm

Carsten Sellberg wrote:Hi.

We are all waiting for the next gen AMD High END Navi and the coming 7nm nVidea Ampere Graphic Cards.
They are both scheduled for 2nd half of 2020. Competition will be good for us consumers.

Regards Carsten.

Yeah I know new hardware will come out "soon", probably witin a few month, then few month to get great 3rd party cards, and then wait for reviews to get best version, and then wait for prices to come down. And am not a fan of first batch anything, allot of issues with the first few batches of RTX 20 series cards.

And now 2070 Super high end from Asus ROG Strix OC for instance is on sale, lowest price ever, plus rest of RTX inventory starting to go on clearence sale soon, so A good time to get a great deal for the current gen RTX Super cards, and then upgrade when next gen cards are stable and under the retail price.

Don't seems Nvidia can produce 7nm, seems according to roumers that they will use Samsung 8nm process. TSMC don't have capacity to both Apple, AMD (and so on) plus Nvidia. Just really hope we see HBM memory across the board with next gen high end cards, and 16GB memory will be the standard for mig to high range.

Still have my trusty Vega 64 and Vega 56, HBM2 just SO much better when using multi monitors in terms of power consumptions (2-5w), but am using them in other systems.

But yes am definantly getting a high end card later this year or start next year, if we finally see real compitition in the higher end cards.

But for now am debating if I should go for a 2070 Super in the meantime (and use my 5700 XT on my Mac), really want the 2080 TI, but worst time to buy that (still retail price), and the 2080 Super have not come down as much in price as 2070 Super has, and still "only" have 8GB memory, had it just 10GB or 11GB as the TI I would go straight to that one, but for the small gain in performance even when discounted the 2080 Super still seems to be a bad deal, specially now.

Anyways a little off track. Just not impress with the performance of the free Resolve 16, get often crashes when in edit mode, and timeline is very chobby, if a RTX card could fix that in the menatime untill next gen, then it would be an easy buy.

Return to DaVinci Resolve