Sky replacement, white outline!

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

petertbui

Sky replacement, white outline!

PostTue Aug 04, 2020 6:03 pm

Hi,

I am trying to change the color of the sky only, but when I qualify the sky, it bleeds into other adjacent objects. I've played with a lot of the options in HSL, but even slight "denoise" or "blur" during qualifying will get a white outline around adjacent objects. Does anyone have suggestion? When i try to blur it out, then it looks way too blurred and it looks obvious.

I have a lot of trees in my shot so it looks really bad when it bleeds into the leaves compared to the video below

Even this tutorial , you can see the outline of the castle at 8:54. Is there any way around this?
"Sky replacement in DaVinci Resolve - tutorial" on youtube
Attachments
davinci resolve castle.JPG
davinci resolve castle.JPG (60.49 KiB) Viewed 599 times

Hendrik Proosa

Re: Sky replacement, white outline!

PostTue Aug 04, 2020 7:03 pm

If you want to do it nicer you either have to grade the edge areas of your foreground or extend them to get rid of bright outline. It is a comp problem and not too easy to fix properly.
I do stuff.

Igor Riđanović

PostTue Aug 04, 2020 9:07 pm

You need to cut a real tight articulate matte.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

Hendrik Proosa

PostWed Aug 05, 2020 7:40 am

Matte that is tight enough to remove light wrap will cut into fg objects quite a lot. Not good.
I do stuff.

Return to DaVinci Resolve