Fairlight for Music Prodution

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

tlegvold

Fairlight for Music Prodution

PostFri Aug 07, 2020 1:55 am

My background is in music mastering and audio production, although I've been learning Resolve for the last year or so. Primarily I use Sonic Studio for mastering and Nuendo for multichannel work, mixing, and some of the film/tv work we get in.

I just finished day 4 of BMD's week-long "Fairlight for Audio Post" course with Mary Plummer, a consummate professional and all around wonderful human being. I'm impressed by the system and looking forward to learning more.

Someone else on the course asked, and I wondered the same thing, if there's anyone using Fairlight for audio production, and they were referred to this fine forum. It would be good to hear some of the strengths, weaknesses, pitfalls and tips to get the most out of it.

I would expect that for someone making beats, using multiple software synths and such, or composing in the DAW, Fairlight might not be as an ideal choice as one of many competitors tailored specifically for music production. However for what I do, which is largely acoustic music in surround and immersive formats, where most of the adjustments are subtle, transparent, and involve some EQ, level or reverb and require multi-channel busses, I think Fairlight could be an interesting proposition and improve my workflow. I've seen some YouTube clips of a studio in Spain that uses Fairlight extensively for music production, primarily recording and mixing live players.

I've started this thread as a place to collect and share tips, techniques, caveats and ideas for using Fairlight for audio and music production.

Who's first? 8-)
Desktop: 2019 Mac Pro 16 Core CPU 192GB RAM | AMD Radeon W5700X 16GB | OS X Monterey 12.7
Fairlight Audio Accelerator CC-2 | Audio Interface SX-36 | Audio Editor (FAE) | Studio Console
Mobile: 2023 16" M3 Max MacBook Pro 64GB RAM | OS X Sonoma 14.3

capthook

Re: Fairlight for Music Prodution

PostFri Aug 07, 2020 3:28 am

I've done a fair amount of work in Reaper DAW, powerful.
Fairlight can do some things, but I don't think it can replace a dedicated DAW.
To then tweak some things post DAW in Fairlight for the final video production, sure.
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.6 | Nvidia Studio 537.42 | Mavic 2P | GH6 | Ronin SC
i9 13900K | 64GB 5600MHz DDR5 RAM | RTX4080 16GB | (4) 990Pro 2tb m.2 | Windows 11

Jason Conrad

PostFri Aug 07, 2020 5:12 am

capthook wrote: Fairlight can do some things, but I don't think it can replace a dedicated DAW.

Fairlight is a dedicated DAW, that's been around since the 70s.
-MacBook Pro (14,3) i7 2.9 GHz 16 GB, Intel 630, AMD 560 x1
-[DR 17.0 Beta9]

tlegvold

PostFri Aug 07, 2020 5:47 am

Rather than quibble over whether it's suitable or not, can we stick to those who actually use it in some way or another for music production?

If you prefer Reaper, that's fine. I tried it, liked the flexibility, didn't like how it sounded or was supported.
Desktop: 2019 Mac Pro 16 Core CPU 192GB RAM | AMD Radeon W5700X 16GB | OS X Monterey 12.7
Fairlight Audio Accelerator CC-2 | Audio Interface SX-36 | Audio Editor (FAE) | Studio Console

Roen Davis

PostFri Aug 07, 2020 7:17 am

Jason Conrad wrote:Fairlight is a dedicated DAW, that's been around since the 70s.

I think the "Fairlight CMI" has been around since the 70's but the DAW is late 80's.

The Fairlight CMI (computer musical instrument) was he first digital sampling synthesizer in the world AFAIK - Sydney, Australia company!
to the deaf person the dancer appears mad

capthook

PostFri Aug 07, 2020 7:35 am

I do not wish to stifle your creativity on exploring Fairlight.
Its integration into Resolve puts it miles ahead of other editors.
It has a lot of great effects built in and supports VSTs,
and It does a great job for voice-over audio work.
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.6 | Nvidia Studio 537.42 | Mavic 2P | GH6 | Ronin SC
i9 13900K | 64GB 5600MHz DDR5 RAM | RTX4080 16GB | (4) 990Pro 2tb m.2 | Windows 11

tlegvold

PostMon Aug 10, 2020 3:49 am

Thanks. I hope that the few individuals who do indeed use it for music chime in.

Yes, for composing I completely understand the need for Logic, Cubase, Ableton Live and the rest. I also understand that ProTools has established themselves as an industry standard for both music and film production, whether for better or worse.

There are still areas where I feel (as a Nuendo user) that Resolve/Fairlight really offer a compelling workflow, especially for surround and immersive mixing and production.

But I'm still new to the platform, it may be I'll figure out why it's a poor choice at some point. So far I haven't yet reached that point.

Peter Cave

PostMon Aug 10, 2020 8:04 am

Music composition works best in a DAW with MIDI tracks. In Fairlight you can record using a MIDI keyboard but the output of the VSTi plugin is recorded as an audio track.
While it is possible to work this way, it is very limited compared to other DAWs.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

James Moore

PostWed Nov 18, 2020 5:38 pm

Having midi tracks in fairlight would really help make it useful in music production.

Another problem I have with Resolve/Fairlight is that Resolve does not support ASIO

I have a MOTU 8 track audio interface and I can only work with 2 tracks of my interface in Resolve. Vegas handles all of the MOTU tracks just fine.
Ventura
Mac Studio Utlra
32 gigs Ram

Matt.perrott

PostWed Nov 18, 2020 8:44 pm

I wouldn’t have it super high on my list, but it is nice to have MIDI tracks even for editing triggers for foley cues etc.

Further, bars & beats timing and grids are really helpful for editing music accurately and setting up tempo synced fx and delays for music etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matt Perrott - Mighty Sound

DR Studio 18.x
Mac Studio M1 Max 32GB Ram - Ultra Studio 4k Mini, MTRX Studio / Digiface DANTE
MBP 16 Inch M1 Max 32GB Ram

James Moore

PostWed Nov 18, 2020 9:00 pm

When creating music I find it nice to have midi control of my virtual instruments (i.e. samplers)

Didn't Fairlight start out primarily as a sampler the was triggered via a keyboard?
Ventura
Mac Studio Utlra
32 gigs Ram

Trensharo

PostWed Nov 18, 2020 9:05 pm

Jason Conrad wrote:
capthook wrote: Fairlight can do some things, but I don't think it can replace a dedicated DAW.

Fairlight is a dedicated DAW, that's been around since the 70s.

Fairlight is like Nuendo with all of the MIDI and Compositional features ripped out. Not jus the MIDI Tracks, but all of the other stuff that people don't think about when they mention music production software.

It's only useful as a "full DAW" if you're doing nothing but recording live acoustic music - like a live orchestra.

Return to DaVinci Resolve