Resolve crashes way too often

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

michael_72

Resolve crashes way too often

PostSun Aug 09, 2020 7:56 pm

My specs are below, is this setup not okay for Resolve...? I work only in 4K, often BRAW, files saved on insanely fast ssd:s, yet almost once an hour Resolve just totally freezes my entire system and I have to press the pc power button for a hard restart... Is Radeon VII the problem or is there some settings I should try...? I always update to all the latest drivers and latest version of Resolve (not beta)... Freezes occur both when I am working and when I leave it to render... I ofter render out a DNXHR master, is that format problematic...? Best regards, Michael in Sweden
MacBook Pro Max M2
RAM: 96 GB
HD: Internal SSD 4TB
I/O-card: UltraStudio Monitor 3G
Monitor 1 (GUI): Apple Studio Display
Monitor 2 (REF): Eizo Coloredge CG319x
NLE: Davinci Resolve Studio 18.5.1

TheBloke

Re: Resolve crashes way too often

PostSun Aug 09, 2020 8:12 pm

Resolve freezing and crashing is not uncommon.

Resolve freezing your entire system, requiring a reboot, is definitely not normal.

Check out the FAQ thread and post all the details it mentions - log files, full system NFO file, details on your GPU drivers, etc.

I'm not on Windows myself but someone will hopefully advise you if there's any potential problems in the info you provide.
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Aug 10, 2020 2:17 am

michael_72 wrote:My specs are below, is this setup not okay for Resolve...? I work only in 4K, often BRAW, files saved on insanely fast ssd:s, yet almost once an hour Resolve just totally freezes my entire system and I have to press the pc power button for a hard restart... Is Radeon VII the problem or is there some settings I should try...? I always update to all the latest drivers and latest version of Resolve (not beta)... Freezes occur both when I am working and when I leave it to render... I ofter render out a DNXHR master, is that format problematic...? Best regards, Michael in Sweden

It could be a driver issue, or a power supply issue. This is definitely not expected.
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

Jim Simon

PostMon Aug 10, 2020 4:27 pm

TheBloke wrote:Resolve freezing and crashing is not uncommon.

It is for me. It isn't never, but it is rare.

I do follow some specific guidelines, though.

1. Properly configured (Intel/nVidia)
2. Self-built
3. Windows system
4. Dedicated to editing
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

pinthenet

PostMon Aug 10, 2020 4:43 pm

How long do you wait before pressing the power button? I usually have freezes during any longer DR session and most or all other applications are blocked for up to 2 minutes. I can usually start the task manager via the Windows task bar, or Ctrl-Alt-Del. After a couple of minutes everything starts working again.
[size=85]
Laptop: Intel i7-10750H/32GB/RTX2060-6GB & Intel UHD Graphics 630
Windows 10 Home; NVIDIA 536.67 Studio; Resolve+Fusion 18.5

John Griffin

PostMon Aug 10, 2020 6:20 pm

Are your media files on internal drives or external?

totalvamp

PostMon Aug 10, 2020 11:01 pm

for me it happens mostly when there is GPU intensive tasks, it freezes my whole system for a minute, then giving either a GPU memory error or bluescreen...
System:
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
64GB Trident Z 2933Mhz
RTX 3090

michael_72

PostSat Aug 22, 2020 3:47 pm

Thank you for your replies!
Nowadays I usually just hit the power button as soon as it freezes, I have waited several minutes and nothing happens, time is money and I quickly wanna get back to business... I have internal ssd:s, that ultra fast expensive kind that look like RAM-modules... :? (don't know tech stuff), computer built by a friend who is very good, and built in for my needs with editing and color grading only (no gaming at all)... It usually happens in gpu stress for me too, when there is a lot of noise reduction and such... But sometimes it happens in everyday "walk-in-the-park"-projects... You mention intel/nvidia, is amd not good for resolve...?
MacBook Pro Max M2

Jim Simon

PostSat Aug 22, 2020 6:58 pm

michael_72 wrote:is amd not good for resolve...?

There are folks who would argue it is.

I'm not one of them.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

IvanovS

PostSat Aug 22, 2020 7:34 pm

The problem is not the Radeon driver but it is driver related. Unfortunately the default fan curves for Adrenalin 2020 are somewhat wonky and on long sessions the junction temperature (the one the fan speed is based upon) goes over 100-105 Celsius but the fans don't ramp up fast enough. Which isn't a big deal for gaming but Resolve (or Windows) seems sensitive about this.

Either stick with a pre 2020 Adrenalin driver , like 19.11.3 or even earlier.

Or set up a manual fan curve in Adrenalin 2020 so that the junction temperature never passes 100celsius.
(P5 state).The fans will ramp up for a few moments when it does (once or twice an hour) but the renders will complete without issues.

I did the above and the crashes went away for me. Try it, you have nothing to lose.

Also, don't listen to people who tell you AMD is not good for editing. They're clueless. I mean Nvidia had drivers that literally baked video cards...hilarious and Intel is stuck in 2015 performance wise.
AMD Threadripper 1950X
AMD Radeon VII
Decklink Mini Monitor 4K
Davinci Resolve 15.3.1
Ursa Mini 4.6K
Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
Pocket Cinema Camera
Production Camera 4K

michael_72

PostSun Aug 23, 2020 1:21 pm

Thank You... No idea how to do this, but I'll look into it. I will Youtube it and let everyone know here if it improves...
MacBook Pro Max M2

michael_72

PostSun Aug 23, 2020 2:24 pm

IvanovS wrote:...set up a manual fan curve in Adrenalin 2020 so that the junction temperature never passes 100celsius. (P5 state).The fans will ramp up for a few moments when it does (once or twice an hour) but the renders will complete without issues.

Could I trouble you for a screen shot of what your curve and settings look like, so I can try to replicate it...? My mail is michael_72@live.se (if it is easier to mail than post here).. Would be VERY grateful...
MacBook Pro Max M2

IvanovS

PostSun Aug 23, 2020 3:09 pm

https://i.imgur.com/uBwtweq.png

Not sure if I'm allowed to post screenshots since my acc is very new.The link above shows you an example which is similar to what I use.

Open Adrenalin, go to Performance, , toggle Manual, enable fan tuning, enable advanced then there's a drop menu called Fine Tuning where you get the curves and states. Set something like 80-90 fan speed for 90-100 temperature for P5 state. Then set P3 and P4 to taste depending on what you find acceptable noise wise.

If you're not happy with the noise and etc, you can easily go back to default by switching from manual to automatic.

Hopefully it fixes it for you.If it doesn't I would look for RAM issues as the culprit. Bad RAM overclock (XMP is overclock) is one of the most common issues for crashes.
AMD Threadripper 1950X
AMD Radeon VII
Decklink Mini Monitor 4K
Davinci Resolve 15.3.1
Ursa Mini 4.6K
Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
Pocket Cinema Camera
Production Camera 4K

michael_72

PostSat Sep 19, 2020 3:08 pm

I seem to have pretty much solved this issue with a BIOS update, so the problem was that deeply rooted in my case... I bought my computer with the newest parts possible, and the motherboard apparantly had problems allocating all the RAM modules (or something like that, my technical friend informed me)... Hope this info help others with same problem...
MacBook Pro Max M2

Marc Wielage

PostSun Sep 20, 2020 1:30 am

I've had a total of 2 crashes in 6 weeks, often using Resolve 10-12 hours a day, 6 or 7 days a week. But this is on a 2019 Mac Pro and OSX 10.15.6. Virtually no issues, I think maybe 5 minutes total of down time.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve