Davinci Resolve Could not find any OpenCL capable GPUs -

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

aerialvids

Davinci Resolve Could not find any OpenCL capable GPUs -

PostFri Aug 14, 2020 1:09 am

Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Nvidia Geforce GTX 960M
Davinci Resolve Free Version

Resolve works fine on the same machine when I boot in Windows. Unfortunately this Dell laptop freezes up very often when running Windows so I'd really like to get Resolve working with Mint.

I've tried many supposed fixes that Google found for me but nothing has worked. Can you help me? Thanks.

Danas_Anis

Re: Davinci Resolve Could not find any OpenCL capable GPUs -

PostFri Aug 14, 2020 4:57 pm

Hello,

Whenever you mention that you use not a supported OS it is doubtful you will get help from BMD.
Also keep in mind that for Linux Resolve has a lot bigger system requirenments, 32 gigs of RAM opposed to 16 gigs for Windows and Mac OS.

But it works on 16 gigs computer like mine, which is Dell Precision m5520

It is advisable to specify more of what hardware makes your computer.

Be sure to have Nvidia proprietary driver installed. Other wise it won't see any GPU.

When it comes to Nvidia, your best bet is to have Cuda installed. Nvidia and OpenCL with Davinci Resolve doesn;t work well at all.

Nvidia > Nvidia proprietary driver > Cuda and Davinci resovle might work.
Also be sure to use the deb installer workaround, because Davinci Resolve's installer is not Ubuntu friendly.
Kind regards,

Danas

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Aug 14, 2020 5:13 pm

Have a look through this thread for possible suggestions:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=56878
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

aerialvids

PostFri Aug 14, 2020 5:34 pm

Danas_Anis wrote:

Be sure to have Nvidia proprietary driver installed. Other wise it won't see any GPU.

When it comes to Nvidia, your best bet is to have Cuda installed. Nvidia and OpenCL with Davinci Resolve doesn;t work well at all.

Also be sure to use the deb installer workaround, because Davinci Resolve's installer is not Ubuntu friendly.

I do have an official nvidia driver installed but was never able to install the 430.40 driver specifically listed in the linux installation pdf instructions. It downloads as a .Run file and I was getting sh:0 errors when trying to install it. It's confusing because it works when I boot up in windows
Like I said.

I did try the makeresolvedeb as well but I end up with the same untecognized opencl gpu problem.

I'm not very knowledgeable about Linux or coding in general but I'm willing to try and learn.

Can you point me towards Cuda installation instructions? I'll give that a shot too.

Thanks,

Don

Danas_Anis

PostFri Aug 14, 2020 6:21 pm

aerialvids wrote:
Danas_Anis wrote:

I do have an official nvidia driver installed but was never able to install the 430.40 driver specifically listed in the linux installation pdf instructions. It downloads as a .Run file and I was getting sh:0 errors when trying to install it. It's confusing because it works when I boot up in windows
Like I said.

I did try the makeresolvedeb as well but I end up with the same untecognized opencl gpu problem.

I'm not very knowledgeable about Linux or coding in general but I'm willing to try and learn.

Can you point me towards Cuda installation instructions? I'll give that a shot too.

Thanks,

Don

I fallowed instruction from here:
https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-downloads?target_os=Linux&target_arch=x86_64&target_distro=Ubuntu&target_version=2004&target_type=deblocal

On most modern Ubuntu based Linux distros it should be as easy as
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install cuda

or you could use package manager like Muon package manager on KDE or Synaptic package manager and search for Cuda package over there.

I am on Kubuntu 20.04 and all i had to do is click on install Nvidia driver once OS recommended it to me. Surprisingly it also installed Cuda for me. Since I am having black viewers issue with Resolve, wanted to be sure that all components of Cuda were there, I manually installed Cuda on top of what I had set up by the system.
Kind regards,

Danas

aerialvids

PostFri Aug 14, 2020 9:35 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Have a look through this thread for possible suggestions:

I saw some linux mint davinci 14 instructions from a few years ago in that thread. Do you think these steps would still be applicable to the current builds? Thanks for the link although much of the content is still over my head.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Aug 18, 2020 6:31 pm

I honestly don't know, since we don't support Mint.
Dwaine Maggart

muddauber

PostSat Sep 18, 2021 2:32 am

Does Davinci Resolve support MX Linux or Parrot OS?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Sep 22, 2021 11:07 pm

We can't provide support for those distro's.

That's not to say that Resolve might not work fine on them.

You might want to check the big Linux thread to see if those have been mentioned:

Dwaine Maggart

ZRGARDNE

PostFri Sep 24, 2021 2:32 am

A reminder that Resolve Free does not support H.264 and 265 on Linux. And neither free or Studio supports AAC Audio.

So you will need to install FFMpeg as well to trans code any files from consumer cameras.

Return to DaVinci Resolve