Why are the stills listed "Media Offline"?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Erin Lynne Hunter

Why are the stills listed "Media Offline"?

PostFri Aug 14, 2020 6:42 am

I've watched and read much of the online videos and the user manual. Starting to load up the media bin to create my first video. All the video clips seem fine; I can see themand play them andplace them in the timeline, however, the stills that Ive put into the media bin all say Media Offline. How do I get them to be viable pieces to use in my video project? Thank you for your help <3 Erin

Jim Simon

Re: Why are the stills listed "Media Offline"?

PostSat Aug 15, 2020 4:20 pm

Does that occur as soon as you Import the stills, or do they work at first and go offline later?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

jayfro

PostSat Aug 15, 2020 5:55 pm

Erin Lynne Hunter wrote:I've watched and read much of the online videos and the user manual. Starting to load up the media bin to create my first video. All the video clips seem fine; I can see themand play them andplace them in the timeline, however, the stills that Ive put into the media bin all say Media Offline. How do I get them to be viable pieces to use in my video project? Thank you for your help <3 Erin

Resolve is still "lacking" when it comes to still images. I have problems with JPEG images showing as offline in Resolve. I'll import them in Affinity photo and then export them as JPEG images again and typically it solves the problem. Resolve keeps getting better, but little things like this are important for people editing on the software 40+ hours a week. Especially when those same stills show up fine in Premiere Pro or Final Cut Pro X. Don't even get me started on having stills labeled in numeric order ( image 1, image 2, image 3,) and how resolve interprets numbered images differently than any other editing program. It makes no sense at all in real world use. Complete pain in the arse. Love Resolve, but ease of use is extremely important for full time editors. The only way the software will continue to improve is through our feedback, so keep telling Black Magic about the faults of the software.
M2 Macbook Air, 8 core CPU 10 core GPU, 24GB of RAM
Resolve Studio 18.5
Mac OS Ventura 13.2.1

jayfro

PostSat Aug 15, 2020 6:04 pm

jayfro wrote:
Erin Lynne Hunter wrote:I've watched and read much of the online videos and the user manual. Starting to load up the media bin to create my first video. All the video clips seem fine; I can see themand play them andplace them in the timeline, however, the stills that Ive put into the media bin all say Media Offline. How do I get them to be viable pieces to use in my video project? Thank you for your help <3 Erin

Resolve is still "lacking" when it comes to still images. I have problems with JPEG images showing as offline in Resolve. My workaround is to import them in Affinity photo and then export them as JPEG images again and typically it solves the problem. Resolve keeps getting better, but little things like this are important for people editing on the software 40+ hours a week. Especially when those same stills show up fine in Premiere Pro or Final Cut Pro X. Don't even get me started on having stills labeled in numeric order (image 1, image 2, image 3,) and how resolve interprets numbered images differently than any other editing program. It makes no sense at all in real world use. Complete pain in the arse. Love Resolve, but ease of use is extremely important for full time editors. The only way the software will continue to improve is through our feedback, so keep telling Black Magic about the faults of the software.
M2 Macbook Air, 8 core CPU 10 core GPU, 24GB of RAM
Resolve Studio 18.5
Mac OS Ventura 13.2.1

Erin Lynne Hunter

PostSun Aug 16, 2020 6:11 pm

Jim Simon wrote:Does that occur as soon as you Import the stills, or do they work at first and go offline later?

All my stills are listed as Media Offline from the moment of import. I see that a workaround in the future will be to just not include stills, using Resolve...but Id love to create a video with what I've got. I've used Premier with stills and video, so I thought I could do the same, with this. Thank you for your clarifying question; does my answer help you narrow down the issue?

Erin Lynne Hunter

PostSun Aug 16, 2020 6:15 pm

jayfro wrote:
jayfro wrote:

Resolve is still "lacking" when it comes to still images. I have problems with JPEG images showing as offline in Resolve. My workaround is to import them in Affinity photo and then export them as JPEG images again and typically it solves the problem. Resolve keeps getting better, but little things like this are important for people editing on the software 40+ hours a week. Especially when those same stills show up fine in Premiere Pro or Final Cut Pro X. Don't even get me started on having stills labeled in numeric order (image 1, image 2, image 3,) and how resolve interprets numbered images differently than any other editing program. It makes no sense at all in real world use. Complete pain in the arse. Love Resolve, but ease of use is extremely important for full time editors. The only way the software will continue to improve is through our feedback, so keep telling Black Magic about the faults of the software.

Thank you so much for your thoughtful response! I appreciate you taking the time. I will look into how to import with Affinity first...

Erin Lynne Hunter

PostSat Aug 22, 2020 4:06 pm

Thank you, Jayfro; I purchased Affinity photo and am getting to know how to use the program. Yes, I am now able to bring my photos into Affinity, touch them up and export them as JPEG, instead of the HEIC format that my iphone is creating. When I brought them into the media bin in Divinci, I can see them and use them, now. Thank you for your help! Your answer was very good and helpful!

IsraEliteMedia

Re: BUG Why are the stills listed "Media Offline"?

PostThu Sep 23, 2021 7:45 am

Today I have a group of logo png file with alpha channel that all show up as offline in Davinci Resolve. They say they are offline but the timeline reads the file normally including alpha channel. These are all large stills like 5000 x 5000 but nothing outside the allowable sizes with Resolve.

It is pretty annoying to have to look at bright red offline clips on your timeline whenever editing. Especially when they aren't and Resolve is actually reading the file fine.

Erik
SYSTEM SPECS
DR Studio 18.6.6 (2 seats) Win 11 Pro (fully updated)
13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K 3.00 GHz
128GB RAM DDR5
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Studio Driver 551.86

Erik Davis, IsraEliteMedia--Zichron Yaakov, Israel

IsraEliteMedia

PostSun Sep 26, 2021 3:47 pm

offline stills example.JPG
offline stills example.JPG (228.78 KiB) Viewed 3367 times
Since I didn't get any replies, I thought maybe a screenshot would help.

Here you can see all of the stills that are showing up as offline but you can see in the inspector seeing the file properly. You can all see the program output shows Davinci Resolve seeing the files.

When I go to render I receive a warning that I am rendering with offline media. I proceed anyway with the render and there are no problems.

Thanks,

Erik
SYSTEM SPECS
DR Studio 18.6.6 (2 seats) Win 11 Pro (fully updated)
13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K 3.00 GHz
128GB RAM DDR5
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Studio Driver 551.86

Erik Davis, IsraEliteMedia--Zichron Yaakov, Israel

Uli Plank

PostMon Sep 27, 2021 7:28 am

I've seen that too at times in DR 17. It seems to be a bug regarding "media offline" messages.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

SlivinSlangster

PostThu Apr 11, 2024 5:04 pm

My Davinci Resolve project has a ton on stills. Most of them are fine, however, some randomly show as offline. I click on them and select reveal in finder, and the media shows up in the Finder without any issue. If the media just showed as offline in the browser, I could at least work around it, but it shows up as offline everywhere, including when I put it in the timeline and it stays offline, even when I delete the clip and re-import it. So far I have only noticed .tif files, but I don't think that's the issue. I have lots of other .tif files in my project that work fine. Using Resolve 18.6.4. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Uli Plank

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 4:11 am

No idea what's going on.
Let's all try 19 beta on unanswered issues and bother them as long as the beta lasts if they didn't silently fix it.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to DaVinci Resolve