Resolve won't start

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

AyseSarah

Re: Resolve won't start

PostWed Sep 02, 2020 5:27 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:@Ayse: I'm a bit confused. The Resolve logs appear to show you've used DDU to remove both the Intel and NVIDIA drivers, as they have both reverted to Microsoft Basic Video Adapter mode, in the logs.

But the NFO file shows a current driver loaded for the NVIDIA GTX 960M.

Is it possible you've restarted your system since you last tried Resolve, and it updated the NVIDIA driver?

Can you try launching Resolve again? If it's still unhappy, send another log and NFO.

That's weird. I never touched the NVIDIA driver with DDU. I did play around with different versions of the NVIDIA driver, because in the past using an older driver had solved a similar problem. Right now I have installed the most recent one. (27.21.14.5206, downloaded from NVIDIAs website and manually installed using the clean install option).

I tried launching Resolve again, I'm still stuck at the black screen.
Here are my new Log and NFO files: https://we.tl/t-sIVihgmww0

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Sep 02, 2020 2:13 pm

Resolve is really upset with the GTX 960M GPU driver.

So, go to the NVIDIA driver download site and download and install an earlier driver.

Try the 436.30 driver.

If there are still issues, send an updated Resolve log and NFO after the driver update.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

AyseSarah

PostThu Sep 03, 2020 3:06 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Resolve is really upset with the GTX 960M GPU driver.

So, go to the NVIDIA driver download site and download and install an earlier driver.

Try the 436.30 driver.

If there are still issues, send an updated Resolve log and NFO after the driver update.

Hi Dwaine,

Installed the recommended driver and so far Resolve seems to be working fine again.

Thank you!

mutlmika

PostTue Sep 08, 2020 5:40 pm

mutlmika wrote:Hey,
I red the hints on this thread but after renaming igc64 it started one time the second time it didnt start :(
then i tried DDU it started again and then the secon time, nothing again :(
Here is my log file
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LxBjS7 ... sp=sharing

thank you in advance :)

had issues to get my post approved so a little up :))

mutlmika

PostMon Sep 14, 2020 3:24 pm

mutlmika wrote:
mutlmika wrote:Hey,
I red the hints on this thread but after renaming igc64 it started one time the second time it didnt start :(
then i tried DDU it started again and then the secon time, nothing again :(
Here is my log file
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LxBjS7 ... sp=sharing

thank you in advance :)

had issues to get my post approved so a little up :))

nobody can help?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Sep 14, 2020 9:38 pm

Without a Windows System Information .NFO file, it's hard to say for sure what's going on.

But from the Resolve logs, it appears you've used DDU and removed the NVIDIA 840M driver.

You need to have the NVIDIA driver installed. Go to the NVIDIA Driver Downloads site, and download the current driver for your GeForce 840M GPU, which is 452.06, at the moment.

Once you install that driver, if you still have issues, send an updated Resolve log AND a Windows System Information .NFO file.
Dwaine Maggart

mutlmika

PostTue Sep 15, 2020 4:45 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Without a Windows System Information .NFO file, it's hard to say for sure what's going on.

But from the Resolve logs, it appears you've used DDU and removed the NVIDIA 840M driver.

You need to have the NVIDIA driver installed. Go to the NVIDIA Driver Downloads site, and download the current driver for your GeForce 840M GPU, which is 452.06, at the moment.

Once you install that driver, if you still have issues, send an updated Resolve log AND a Windows System Information .NFO file.

hey thank you after i installed the driver it opened up one time but after a while it stuck and i had to end the process via the task manager.
after that it did not start again. it is visible in task manager but it does not start.
here are my nfo files and resolve log

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I6LAqx ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eynH9D ... sp=sharing

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Sep 15, 2020 5:14 pm

Your files are locked and require access credentials.

Please make the links accessible.
Dwaine Maggart

mutlmika

PostFri Sep 18, 2020 11:42 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Your files are locked and require access credentials.

Please make the links accessible.

sorry my bad

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I6LAqx ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eynH9D ... sp=sharing

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Sep 18, 2020 9:09 pm

It appears that the Intel graphics driver is still installed. Please use the DDU driver removal process detailed in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=119852&hilit=+ddu#p659861
Dwaine Maggart

mutlmika

PostSun Sep 20, 2020 3:09 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:It appears that the Intel graphics driver is still installed. Please use the DDU driver removal process detailed in this thread:

actually i did this before writing in this thread.
after that you said that i have to install the nvidia driver which i did
i think it does not work for me so i will deinstall it

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Sep 21, 2020 7:33 pm

Your NFO shows the Intel driver is installed. That could cause an issue.

You DO need to have the NVIDIA driver installed.
Dwaine Maggart

elysesmith

PostFri Nov 13, 2020 7:56 pm

I have some of the same issues as listed above. R16 starplayback started lagging a lot. After multiple troubleshooting attempts, tried R17. Program won't open - tried a few clean installs and it loads/crashes almost immediately.

NFO: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UX44Bn ... sp=sharing
Capture logs: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DmE_VV ... sp=sharing

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Nov 14, 2020 2:22 am

You need to update the NVIDIA driver to at least 452.06. Should be safe to install the current Studio driver for your GTX1050. But nothing less than 452.06

If that doesn't help, send another Resolve log and NFO file.
Dwaine Maggart

elysesmith

PostSat Nov 14, 2020 3:39 pm

@Dwaine thank you so much. Program is opening and playback lag is resolved. Is there any way to tell when these updates need to happen so I’m better prepared?

Big John

PostSun Nov 29, 2020 2:33 am

I am having the same problem that Resolve 16.2.7 will not now open.
I have removed and re-installed, updated the Intel HD driver and also my NVIDIA 1060 driver to the latest ones today.

It loaded the tour, checked all the settings and said everything was ok ......but then still will not start up.
It appears many other people are experiencing the same problem - are you getting any nearer resolving this?
Any help would be appreciated.

Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 20H2
Installed on ‎30/‎07/‎2020
OS build 19042.630
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.31.0

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Dec 03, 2020 12:29 am

In a File Explorer window, go to:

C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve

and run CaptureLogs

This will place a Resolve log file named similar to this on your Windows desktop: DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20181228_140434.zip (You may not see the .zip extension if your system is set to hide known extensions).

Then open Windows System Information and do a File - Save (Not a File Export), which will generate a .NFO file.

Place both those files on a file sharing site and provide links to the files here.

If you are a new Forum user, you may not be allowed to post URLs. If this happens, just put a space near the front of the URL, so the system doesn't think it's a URL.
Dwaine Maggart

Big John

PostFri Dec 04, 2020 1:44 am

Here is the code for you to download:

https://we.tl/t-tNO9DPm2Cb

There has been a lot of trouble with laptop computers that run NVIDIA and INTEL dual graphics with Windows 10 - it was fine at first until the original 'Spring' update and nobody has got Microsoft to sort this problem out ...

If this is what is causing all the problems which it would appear that numerous of your users are experiencing - then good luck in getting them to take this seriously and resolve the issue.

Many thanks in advance for your help

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Dec 04, 2020 5:34 pm

Medion doesn't appear to have any graphics drivers for your laptop on their site, so I assume you downloaded the currently installed 27.20.100.8935 Intel iGPU driver from the Intel site here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downlo ... s%20driver

The Resolve launch issue seems related to the Intel iGPU driver, so my first recommendation would be to try older drivers from the site above.

And/or, remove the Intel driver with DDU, per the link below. But lately, I've seen a few instances where the native Windows display driver (what it will use when you remove the Intel driver) does not work, and requires an Intel driver of some sort.

Dwaine Maggart

Big John

PostTue Dec 08, 2020 1:05 am

Thank you for the reply and for looking at the logs Dwaine,

I am a little wary regarding going back to earlier drivers.
I normally keep all my drivers up to date using Iobit Driver Booster and now, in trying to sort out this problem by reading all the posts on this Forum - I have now managed to have Intel Graphics Command Centre and Intel Driver and Support Assistant on the machine!!

It would appear that a good number of people on the forum have been experiencing this exact same problem for well over a year - surely someone has discussed this problem with Intel??

I would also have thought that a well respected company as Blackmagic would have ensured that Resolve 16 and I assume 17 would be compatible with all the latest Intel drivers - because often Windows 10 updates itself and its various drivers without the user having any input or even being aware.

Your thoughts on this would be appreciated.

niler123

PostTue Dec 08, 2020 9:15 pm

Having the same problem with davinci not opening. Nothing shows up. tried to get help on my own post where everything i tried is writen down viewtopic.php?f=21&t=128047

But no activity on that thread since last week. Really need the program to work again

timg11

PostTue Dec 08, 2020 11:07 pm

This just started happening to me. Resolve 16.2.7 was working fine yesterday. Today I click on the icon, the mouse cursor shown a spinning wheel for a few seconds, then nothing. No DaVinci splash screen.
I can find DaVinci Resolve running in Task Manager, and I can kill it, but it still will not start the next time I try. It just leaves the EXE in task manager, with no task bar icon, no window, nothing.
I have rebooted, and even done a system restore with no effect.

I ran the CaptureLogs.bat file and have uploaded the logs
Last edited by timg11 on Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 10 64 bit, i7-4Ghz, 48G RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU w/8G

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Dec 08, 2020 11:15 pm

and run CaptureLogs

This will place a Resolve log file named similar to this on your Windows desktop: DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20181228_140434.zip (You may not see the .zip extension if your system is set to hide known extensions).

Then open Windows System Information and do a File - Save (Not a File Export), which will generate a .NFO file.

Place both those files on a file sharing site and provide links to the files here.

If you are a new Forum user, you may not be allowed to post URLs. If this happens, just put a space near the front of the URL, so the system doesn't think it's a URL.
Dwaine Maggart

timg11

PostTue Dec 08, 2020 11:22 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Place both those files on a file sharing site and provide links to the files here.

Thanks! I edited my post above with the link.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 12:05 am

You need to update the NVIDIA driver to the current 457.30 Studio version, from the NVIDIA Driver Downloads site.

However, that's probably not going to stop the crash. I suspect that's related to the Intel iGPU graphics driver you have installed, which is new. Perhaps courtesy of a Windows update?

But...now I'm confused. The NFO says this is a Mobile platform, but the computer model number is for a Gigabyte ATX motherboard. I've never seen that before.

At any rate, if the NVIDIA driver update doesn't help, and you really do have an ATX motherboard, Gigabyte has some older Intel VGA drivers for it. Try the 2019 version and see if that helps.
Dwaine Maggart

Big John

PostThu Dec 10, 2020 2:16 am

Hi Dwaine,

My NVIDIA 1060 Driver has just been updated to version 462.79 and I have tried to launch Resolve 16.2 with the NVIDIA Driver only and then with the Intel onboard driver and as other have mentioned - the wheel goes around for a few seconds then stops ....but the program will not launch.
It would appear that this is effecting many machines - possible only laptops with dual graphics???

Your help would be appreciated.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Dec 10, 2020 7:07 am

and run CaptureLogs

Dwaine Maggart

timg11

PostThu Dec 10, 2020 1:50 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:You need to update the NVIDIA driver to the current 457.30 Studio version, from the NVIDIA Driver Downloads site.

However, that's probably not going to stop the crash. I suspect that's related to the Intel iGPU graphics driver you have installed, which is new. Perhaps courtesy of a Windows update?

But...now I'm confused. The NFO says this is a Mobile platform, but the computer model number is for a Gigabyte ATX motherboard. I've never seen that before.

At any rate, if the NVIDIA driver update doesn't help, and you really do have an ATX motherboard, Gigabyte has some older Intel VGA drivers for it. Try the 2019 version and see if that helps.

I don't know about the "Mobile platform". The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-Z170X in a tower. Those are the drivers that were installed with the RTX 2060 Super board when I bought it about a year ago.

I installed NVIDIA 457.30 studio drivers. Side note: I really lost a lot of respect for NVIDIA - after paying premium $$$ for their hardware, their driver installer is pushing advertisements? Seriously? And they create 600+ Mbyte driver packages and then cap their server download speed at 16 mbps? Seriously? Never heard of Content Delivery Networks, I guess.

Anyway, the driver update did not make any difference. Based on your suggestion, I looked in Windows Update History, and sure enough, Windows installed a driver update on the day everything broke:

Since I don't have anything connected to the motherboard graphics, I just disabled Intel graphics in Device Manager. Now Resolve starts again.

I hope future versions of Resolve can do a better job of detecting broken drivers and displaying a helpful error message and not just silently failing.

Samusaaron3

PostSat Dec 12, 2020 10:30 pm

Running into similar issues. I originally installed Resolve 17, but found it too buggy / unstable in its beta state, so I uninstalled it and installed Resolve 16 instead. Launching the program brings up the splash screen, but once that disappears, the program just sits in the background (until I have to kill it in the task manager).

I've tried doing a full uninstall (uninstall + deleting all related directories under Program Files / Program Data / %APPDATA%), unplugging all unnecessary USB devices, disabling my firewall, and updating my graphics drivers. No dice.

System info: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kHI51- ... sp=sharing
Logs: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aZjYIu ... sp=sharing
DR 17.0B Build 15, Win10Pro 10.0.19042
i7-6800k, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1080 "Game" driver 460.79
OS drive: Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB, media drive: Samsung 940 Pro 512 GB

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Dec 14, 2020 7:57 pm

Looks like a hang that might be caused by a firewall or USB device issue.

Disconnect all USB devices except a standard wired keyboard and mouse. This includes any audio or video or webcam devices and USB Bluetooth dongles and USB hubs. .

Now will Resolve launch? If so, so back the USB devices until you find the one causing the issue.

If it's not a USB device issue, take the system off the network and disable the firewall, and see if that helps. If it does, you likely need to add a rule(s) to the firewall for Resolve.
Dwaine Maggart

Big John

PostWed Dec 16, 2020 1:20 am

Are we getting any further with resolving this problem Dwaine.
I posted this a few days ago but have not had a response:

'I am a little wary regarding going back to earlier drivers.
I normally keep all my drivers up to date using Iobit Driver Booster and now, in trying to sort out this problem by reading all the posts on this Forum - I have now managed to have Intel Graphics Command Centre and Intel Driver and Support Assistant on the machine!!

It would appear that a good number of people on the forum have been experiencing this exact same problem for well over a year - surely someone has discussed this problem with Intel??

I would also have thought that a well respected company as Blackmagic would have ensured that Resolve 16 and I assume 17 would be compatible with all the latest Intel drivers - because often Windows 10 updates itself and its various drivers without the user having any input or even being aware.

Your thoughts on this would be appreciated.'

It appears to be only affecting laptops with dual graphics as my desktop computer with NVIDIA and Intel graphics opens up without problem.

There have been many cases of software with dual graphics doing strange things ever since the original Windows 10 'spring' update - is this problem another of these??

Your response would be appreciated.

John

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Dec 16, 2020 8:45 am

@John: Did you use DDU and remove the Intel driver? If so, and that didn't help, please send a log and NFO with the system in that state.
Dwaine Maggart

Big John

PostMon Dec 21, 2020 1:55 am

Hi Dwaine,

As requested I did send you the required log from my computer.

No I didn't download and run the DDU program as from reading what it does I do not want to have both my NVIDIA and Intel drivers removed, older ones installed and have to then try and ensure that newer drivers were never subsequently installed.

I always try to keep my drivers up to date and in any case Windows 10 updates would almost certainly update them again to the latest ones if I did.

From reading through the posts on this Forum this problem only appears to be affecting laptops with dual graphics - Intel and NVIDIA and not ones with a single GPU or desktop machines.

With most computer problems - the usual advice is to ensure that you update your drivers to the latest ones - I therefore find it very strange that a well respected software producer is actually suggesting that we revert back to earlier drivers with all the problems that might give to other programs installed on the machine.

Resolve 16 has worked on this machine - it is only since the Windows10 updates that it has failed to start .....therefore surely it is a compatibility issue between W10 and Resolve.

When I removed and re-installed it - it did a series of checks and said said all was well

Surely Resolve should be designed to work with the latest operating systems and on laptops with dual graphics?

If the problem cannot be resolved - then maybe it should be escalated to a higher level?

Your thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Best wishes,

John

Charles Bennett

PostMon Dec 21, 2020 3:54 pm

As a test have you tried opening Device Manager and disabling the Intel Graphics?
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (546.01 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

timg11

PostMon Dec 21, 2020 10:44 pm

Big John wrote:No I didn't download and run the DDU program

@Big John - I had the same issue and was also hesitant to use the "wrecking ball" approach with DDU.

I was able to easily disable the Intel GPU since I have nothing connected to it. All my monitors are on the Nvidia card. It was an instant fix - Resolve ran right away.
It was clearly caused by a driver update pushed by Windows Update, which explains why it worked one day and failed the next.

Shame on Intel for releasing a "bad" driver, shame on Microsoft for installing a 3rd party hardware driver without explicitly asking - those are supposed to be on the "optional" list for Windows Update.

But some responsibility has be with Black Magic ... Regardless of the driver situation, Resolve should not silently fail - there should always be a descriptive error message.

Big John

PostTue Dec 22, 2020 12:49 am

Hi Tim and Charles,

Thanks for your advice and experience.

I have tried to start Resolve with the NVIDIA GPU as default, with the Intel as default and also with the Auto setting - it will not start with ant=y scenario.

I do need the Intel graphics because there is another Microsoft/NVIDIA fault which causes problems with a program that I use a lot PTE AV Studio 10.

Ever since the original Windows 10 'Spring' update - trying to play audio-visual sequences on any dual graphics laptop - note laptop only - using the high quality NVIDIA 1060 GPU...and it stutters badly - switch to the basic Intel graphics ....and they play fine.

As we are Alpha testers for the designer of this program we contacted NVIDIA and after it had been escalated to the highest level - they stated that it was not the NVIDIA drivers that were causing the problem....but they pointed the finger at the Microsoft Windows 10 operating system ....but on laptops and not desktops.

This has still not been resolved ....and so to be able to show the audio visual sequences I have to use the Intel graphics.......hence me not wanting to remove them.

The advice that is always given out with problems is - they always say ensure that your graphic drivers are up to date......so why am I now being told to revert back to earlier drivers and to ensure that they are never updated again!!!

Reading through all the posts - this would appear to be a widespread problem and one that Blackmagic should be able to resolve.

Big John

PostTue Dec 22, 2020 1:23 am

I have also tried to resolve the issue using the compatibility tester with the following result with it going through all the earlier Windows OS

Issues found Detection details

6 Incompatible Program Not fixed Not Fixed

Resolve is incompatible.
Fix program Resolve Completed

Provides steps to fix the incompatible program.
InformationalCompatibility Mode
Compatibility modes applied:
Windows Vista (Service Pack 2)
User verification: Fix didn't work [/i][/i]

Detection details Expand

Collection information
Computer Name: DESKTOP-RVANSKL
Windows Version: 10.0
Architecture: x64
Time: 22 December 2020 01:11:37

Publisher details Expand

Program Compatibility Troubleshooter
Find and fix problems with running older programs on this version of Windows.
Package Version: 3.0
Publisher: Microsoft Windows

Big John

PostWed Jan 06, 2021 1:00 am

Are we getting anywhere in resolving this Dwayne - an update would be appreciated.
John

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jan 06, 2021 3:12 am

I don't have any other suggestions, if you don't want to try what I've previously suggested.
Dwaine Maggart

Charles Bennett

PostWed Jan 06, 2021 1:52 pm

John, have you tried just disabling the Intel graphics in Device Manager? On my 2015 Dell I've had no problems running Resolve from 12.5 through all the versions including betas, to currently 17.0b6. The only changes being installation of the GTX 1060 and SSD storage. From new the Intel Graphics have been disabled in the Bios and does not appear anywhere on the system.

Currently running Win 10 Home build 19041. Resolve will quite happily run a 25fps UHD timeline with no stuttering. Currently using Nvidia driver 457.30 Studio.

Are you sure you don't have either a hardware or software conflict going on somewhere in your system?
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (546.01 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Big John

PostThu Jan 07, 2021 12:48 am

Charles Bennett wrote:John, have you tried just disabling the Intel graphics in Device Manager? On my 2015 Dell I've had no problems running Resolve from 12.5 through all the versions including betas, to currently 17.0b6. The only changes being installation of the GTX 1060 and SSD storage. From new the Intel Graphics have been disabled in the Bios and does not appear anywhere on the system.

Currently running Win 10 Home build 19041. Resolve will quite happily run a 25fps UHD timeline with no stuttering. Currently using Nvidia driver 457.30 Studio.

Are you sure you don't have either a hardware or software conflict going on somewhere in your system?

Hi Charles,

Thank you for responding.

Looking around You Tube and other platforms there is a plethora of complaints by people having the same problem - some even quoting Dwaine ....but people are coming back with the same answer - it doesn't cure the problem. If someone is having a problem with a piece of software - the first thing the designers insist on is that you ensure that all your drivers are up to date. Blackmagic it would appear are suggesting that you remove all the Intel drivers - go back to an early version and see if that works....until the next time that Microsoft updates Windows 10 and automatically updates the drivers.

I need to be able to use the Intel drivers so disabling them is not an option.

This problem only seems to affect laptops with dual graphics Intel and NVIDIA and using Windows 10 - something that is affecting other software as well.

The annoying thing is that Resolve 16 has worked without problem on this machine until the W10 and the Resolve updates It is not that the machine is not up to running the programme - it just wont start

I have forced the program to use the NVIDIA graphics - it won't start, I have forced it to use the Intel graphics - it won't start, I have completely removed and re-installed the programme - it checked everything and said it was all ok ....but then won't start.

There are a good few videos now on You Tube - all giving advice on how to get the program working - from clearing the memory to reinstalling ...and finally asking for help on this Forum.

I have a desktop machine with dual graphics running the same version of Windows 10 with an Intel and slightly earlier NVIDIA card in - and it works fine.

I am a joint Editor of the AV News website and we have had others reporting that they are experiencing this problem .....but sadly from Dwaine's reply, nobody at Blackmagic it would appear is prepared to escalate it to a higher level for investigation.

I will therefore check with other journalistic colleagues to try and find out just how widespread this problem is.

Maybe somebody higher up the chain at Blackmagic might be able to resolve this.

Charles Bennett

PostThu Jan 07, 2021 12:38 pm

I merely suggested disabling the Intel graphics as part of troubleshooting the problem, not necessarily as a permanent thing. Why not try this?

Big John

PostThu Jan 07, 2021 1:46 pm

Hi Charles,

Thanks for the response - can you just confirm how to do that please.

Many thanks,

John

Big John

PostThu Jan 07, 2021 2:27 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:It appears that the latest Windows updates have really exacerbated issues with Resolve and Intel drivers.

You are the 3rd or 4th person today whose logs appear to show Resolve crashing immediately after detecting the GPUs, in systems with both Intel integrated GPU's and NVIDIA GPUs.

Unlike the others, you seem to have the latest proper Dell Intel driver loaded, and the latest NVIDIA Studio driver.

It would appear that in August it was accepted that the Windows updates were causing problems in systems with both Intel and NVIDIA GPU's.

Surely somebody at Blackmagic should be looking into this and trying to get a resolution??

Charles Bennett

PostThu Jan 07, 2021 2:27 pm

Go to Control Panel/Device Manager and click on Display Adapters. Right click on the adapter you wish to stop and click Disable device.
Follow the same steps again and you will get Enable device to restart it.
Attachments
Display Adapters.jpg
Display Adapters.jpg (85.03 KiB) Viewed 12048 times

Big John

PostThu Jan 07, 2021 3:38 pm

Many thanks Charles,

I had a look on this desktop machine that does not have the problem and like is shown in the picture - the Intel GPU is not shown to disable it ...however on the laptop the Intel and NVIDIA GPU's are shown so I will try doing what you suggest and see what happens.

It is however somewhat disappointing that this problem has been known about for a very long time - there are numerous 'You Tube' resolutions to the problem (all of which have been tried) - and still no resolution from the software designers and Blackmagic apart from removing all traces of Intel.

Big John

PostFri Jan 08, 2021 1:06 pm

Hi Dwaine and Charles,

I did as Charles suggested and without taking the proverbial wrecking ball to my Intel GPU disabled it and yes it does now load the program - however as it is loading there is a thick black frame that appears around the pop up as the various items are loaded.

This is different to what is seen during the normal loading procedure.

Therefore I can get it to work on that machine ......but surely it is not beyond the capabilities of a well known and respected company such as Black Magic Design to resolve the problem in a more professional way??

bkspero

PostSat Jan 09, 2021 8:45 pm

Davinci Resolve (free version...not sure of the version number, but current one as of about mid December 2020) crashes during start up after I just updated the drivers of my Nvidia 2060 graphics card to Studio driver version 460.89. Computer is a Ryzen 7 desktop with the only activated graphics being the 2060 card. Crash happens when Resolve has been looking for a Control Surface for 2-3 seconds (I do not have a control surface).

Windows 10 20H2 up to date. I should have set a restore point prior to the driver update, but didn't.

Suggestions?

bkspero

PostMon Jan 11, 2021 3:23 pm

bkspero wrote:Davinci Resolve (free version...not sure of the version number, but current one as of about mid December 2020) crashes during start up after I just updated the drivers of my Nvidia 2060 graphics card to Studio driver version 460.89. Computer is a Ryzen 7 desktop with the only activated graphics being the 2060 card. Crash happens when Resolve has been looking for a Control Surface for 2-3 seconds (I do not have a control surface).

Windows 10 20H2 up to date. I should have set a restore point prior to the driver update, but didn't.

Suggestions?

Bizarre, but I tried again to run Resolve and it proceeded past the "Looking for Control Surface" indication before crashing. So I tried again and it proceeded a little further. And again, and it again went past Looking for Control Surface, but this time displayed a black border around the Resolve window prior to crashing. One more time and it opened???? It took longer than I recall between the startup window disappearing and the New Project window to appear, but it ran.

I was running 16.2.7, so updated to 16.2.8 and tried again. Again it started (with a relatively long wait...maybe 5-10 seconds...between the startup window disappearing the the New Project window appearing). But it ran. I dragged in a short .mp4 video clip and tried rendering it, and it worked. Haven't tried anything more complex.

What could be going on? The computer was off (not sleeping or hibernating, but electrically off) between the time it would not run Resolve and when I rebooted it to immediately try running Resolve again. So I don't see how any changes could have happened to the system.

Ideas? Am I likely to experience issues with Resolve crashing when I try to use it for projects more complex than rendering a short, unedited video clip?

Big John

PostTue Jan 19, 2021 1:03 am

Hi Dwaine,
It seems like you have somehow lost interest in this post and problem - I do hope not.

I have tried Charles approach rather than using the wrecking program that was suggested.

Disabling the Intel Graphics and the program will not start - in the Task Manager close DaVinci and then try loading the program - it works!

Then whilst the program is working - re-enable the Intel Driver ....and the program continues to work- close the program....and it will not open again!

So it would appear that the Intel Driver is stopping the program starting - but one the program is up and running, then the Intel Drivers do not affect it.

Surely armed with this information your program designers should be able to cure this problem???
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve