Audio Recording / Crackle and Pop / Focus Right Scarlet

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

ginohino

Re: Audio Recording / Crackle and Pop / Focus Right Scarlet

PostSun Jul 18, 2021 7:43 am

warlockuk wrote:
Shrinivas Ramani wrote:Hi all

Please try Davinci Resolve 17.2, released today. It has some fixes w.r.t recording and playback when using some external interfaces. If you sitll find an issue, please keep posting, with detail.

Thanks
Shrinivas

Hey Shrinivas, so it's actually worse.

If I record at 48KHz, I sound like a robot.
If I record at 96KHz it's clearer but with clicking every few seconds.
I did a clap test, the latency is 230ms. That's horrendous.
]

Tried the same thing as you did and experienced the same results. Not sure how to resolve this however recording at a higher bit rate at least makes the voiceovers I'm trying to do listenable. Thanks for the post.

warlockuk

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 12:33 pm

Yeah, it's pretty horrific. Even if they fix the recording, the latency is still going to make it beyond useless for actual ADR / Voiceover work - at the moment I have to record a script first and edit to that, it's the only way my videos can work. :/
Ideally I'd create the rough script, make the video to it, re-cut/rewrite for timing and then do a final 'take' voiceover with the dialogue onscreen for ADR. That as it sits will never work.
CPU: i9 9900K / M1 Macbook Pro
Memory: 32 GB DDR4 / 16Gb
GFX: RTX3070 / Onboard M1 GPU
Audio: Audient iD14 / Onboard/USB audio (on Mac)
Davinci Resolve Studio 18.0.0

Charles Bennett

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 4:01 pm

There are quite a few posts with this sort of problem and it always seems to be with Focusrite Scarlet interfaces. There have been problems with their drivers over the years. As you cannot use ASIO drivers in Resolve you are dependent on the WDM ones.
Do make sure that in Windows/Sound that the sample rate for both Playback and Record is set to 48k.
Pic shows my settings when using a Behringer interface on Windows.
I cannot comment on a Mac as I don't use one.
Attachments
Behringer Record and Playback.jpg
Behringer Record and Playback.jpg (182.53 KiB) Viewed 7696 times
Resolve Studio 19.0b build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

warlockuk

PostTue Jul 27, 2021 1:04 pm

And yet they were ok in DR 16.
Even with 48k set, the glitching and other issues are pretty prevalent. I can try alternate interfaces / USB interfaces but all seem pretty heinous.

It's a shame they don't use ASIO and let you pick the record source instead of having to quit, set the source in windows, launch, set the new source up and often restart DaVinci a second time...

Asher123

PostSun Aug 08, 2021 3:40 pm

Are there any solutions, or a commitment by BMD to have it rectified, regarding this audio crackling issue when recording audio in Davinci Resolve for Voice Overs or ADR?

Some have mentioned that the crackling issue is with particular hardware, but I can confirm that for me that is not the case.

I have tried the following USB interfaces and have exactly the same issue with each one:
1- RME Babyface Pro USB interface, using the RME Fireface USB driver
2- RME Fireface UCX USB interface, using the RME Fireface USB driver
3- Steinberg UR44 USB interface, using the Steinberg audio driver
4- USB Microphone (Audio Technica ATMG1 microphone)

The intermittent crackling noise, randomly occurring every few seconds, only happens with Davinci Resolve and not any of my other Windows audio programs, including Adobe Audition, Presonus Studio One (DAW) using the WDM driver and not the ASIO driver so as to mimic what Davinci Resolve is using, Audio Recorder, Audacity, and even SnagIT and Camtasia.

Here is what I have tried so far:
Ensured that 48kHz was set in Davinci Resolve, Windows and the USB drivers
Tried all buffer sizes
Reinstalled all USB drivers and updated to the latest drivers and firmware
Checked that all audio enhancements in Windows sound settings were disabled
Disabled all other sound devices in Windows Device manager, eg “Sound Blaster Recon3Di” etc.
Checked and then Unchecked exclusive mode in Windows sound settings – it made no difference
Verified that the sample rate and bit depth match between USB drivers and Windows sound settings
Windows power plan set to high performance
Tried all available USB 2.0, USB 3.0, and USB 3.1 ports and did not use a USB hub.

HELP! ANY SUGGESTIONS? Is this going to be fixed soon?? I really need audio recording to work within Davinci Resolve for VO and ADR! A fundamental and basic requirement of the software.

Sarasota

PostSun Aug 08, 2021 6:02 pm

I'm having similar issues with DR 17.2.2 and the RME UFX+ (Random click/pops & dropouts). I've tested it running the RME either via USB or Thunderbolt with the same results.

I do not have audio issues with any other DAW, NLE, or other software (only Resolve 17).
Resolve Studio 18.5.1 | Asus Proart MB | i9 10850k | 128gb ram | Gigabyte RTX 3080 | Decklink Studio 4k 6G | *1x RME UFX+ | 1x MOTU 24i/O | 2x MOTU 896MK3 | 1x MOTU 828MKII | Win 11 Pro | Display Driver: 546.33 SD | Audio Drivers: v1.21-TB

dankamyouknow

PostFri Aug 13, 2021 2:30 am

Just purchased Davinci Resolve Studio 17 and I have constant crackling on ALL playback on ever tab of Davinci Resolve ( Edit / Cut / fairlight). I even experience crackling on other programs when Resolve is open ( but not when resolve is closed ) I am using:

Scarlett Solo 3rd gen with Yamaha Hs5 speakers.

I tried ALL methods that I found on forums and still have no resolved this issue. I cannot believe I spent $300 just to have this issue which makes Resolve absolutely unusable.

BTW. I did NOT experience this with the free version of Davinci Resolve 17.
Windows 10 Pro
AMD 5600x
EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra
32GB RAM @ 3600mhz

YouTube: DanKamYouKnow -> 5450 Subs!

BK Makes

PostWed Aug 18, 2021 4:02 pm

Similar issue with a Blue Yeti mic; audio quality during voiceover was awful and unusable with crackling, popping,static (DR17 Studio 17.2.2). Microphone worked great in Audacity, so seemed to be a DR setting.

Found a solution to my issue elsewhere on the forums, that may work for you (?).

1) Create a new project
2) Change Project Settings --> Fairlight --> check the box to "Use fixed bus mapping"
3) Save Project
4) Open prior project and copied the entire timeline into the new project
5) Static free voiceover recording!

The "Use fixed bus mapping" check box could only be checked when the project was new with no media added. I am a complete novice on the audio side so can't really answer anything about what these functions actually mean/do, but it did solve my issue. Best of luck!

Asher123

PostWed Aug 18, 2021 4:47 pm

BK Makes wrote: Found a solution to my issue elsewhere on the forums, that may work for you (?).

1) Create a new project
2) Change Project Settings --> Fairlight --> check the box to "Use fixed bus mapping"
3) Save Project
4) Open prior project and copied the entire timeline into the new project
5) Static free voiceover recording!

The "Use fixed bus mapping" check box could only be checked when the project was new with no media added. I am a complete novice on the audio side so can't really answer anything about what these functions actually mean/do, but it did solve my issue. Best of luck!

Thanks for this. Unfortunately this did not help me. I was actually asked to try checking the "Use fixed bus mapping" option, as you describe above, by BMD support but it didn't work for me at all. For others in this forum, BMD support also suggested that I try changing the timeline video to 720p. But that didn't work for me either.

I understand that the BMD engineers are further investigating this issue. It is a weird issue as it is definitely a Davinci Resolve bug since for everyone experiencing the issue, they are able to record perfectly in their other recording applications and DAWs.

I hope that the next release of Davinci Resolve addresses this for the rest of us.

warlockuk

PostFri Aug 20, 2021 2:58 pm

New version out today, hopefully this one is more usable :)

It's downloading but I see this in the release notes:
Fairlight
• Improved thru–latency and adjustable processing and input buffers.
• Improved export clips dialog with naming, metadata and format control.
• Edit selections in the timeline can now be nudged.
• In–Out ranges can be cleared and navigated to in the timeline.
• Timeline clips can be selected from the Fairlight edit index.
• Improved context–based defaults when adding new audio tracks.
• Improved Fairlight timeline ruler resolution.
• Gain curves show tooltip values when selected.
• Changing clip gain under an edit selection now adds bounded keyframes.
• Timeline clip names and gain curves can now be hidden.
• New timeline scroll options during playback – fixed, page and none.
• Buses can be reordered by dragging in the track index.
• Bus delay compensation can now be bypassed in the track index.
• Multiple selected tracks can now be deleted from context menu.
• New audio I/O preference options with support for separate I/O selections.
• Support for a wider range of Windows native audio devices.
• Support for multichannel I/O on Windows using Steinberg ASIO.
• Native Linux audio recording support using ALSA inputs.
• Improved mixdown support for LRC, 5.0 and 7.0 track formats.
• Improved edit, nudge and fade behavior for linked clips.
• Modify track and mixer parameters on all or selected tracks with modifiers.
• Pan, EQ and dynamics control dialogs accessible from Fairlight consoles.

warlockuk

PostFri Aug 20, 2021 3:11 pm

Whoa, it's amazing. With the ASIO driver there's almost no latency, no distortion and no pop.

I cannot thank you enough, this is going to save SO much time in my workflow.

Asher123

PostFri Aug 20, 2021 3:18 pm

IT WORKS! Wonderful that ASIO audio drivers have been included in Davinci Resolve.

For others wanting to get the ASIO driver options available, here are some instructions:

(1) In Preferences > System > Video and Audio I/O, set I/O Engine to ASIO, and then save and restart Davinci Resolve.

(2) After Davinci Resolve restarts, go to the Preferences tab again and select your Device under Audio I/O. You can also click on button <Device Config> to configure your ASIO driver.

(3) Uncheck "Automatic speaker configuration"... unless you specifically need it.

Now you should be able to make all the settings you need by patching a selected audio channel in Fairlight to the appropriate ASIO audio driver channel.

Asher123

PostFri Aug 20, 2021 3:20 pm

Davinci Resolve version 17.3 released today with ASIO audio driver support!

IT WORKS and solves all my audio crackling and pop issues! It’s wonderful that ASIO audio drivers have now been included in Davinci Resolve.

For others wanting to get the ASIO driver options available, here are some instructions:

(1) In Preferences > System > Video and Audio I/O, set I/O Engine to ASIO, and then save and restart Davinci Resolve.

(2) After Davinci Resolve restarts, go to the Preferences tab again and select your Device under Audio I/O. You can also click on button <Device Config> to configure your ASIO driver.

(3) Uncheck "Automatic speaker configuration"... unless you specifically need it.

Now you should be able to make all the settings you need by patching a selected audio channel in Fairlight to the appropriate ASIO audio driver channel.

Steve Alexander

PostFri Aug 20, 2021 3:40 pm

Lol, David - it's dejavu all over again :-)

Thanks for posting.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 | Fusion Studio 18.6.6 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Sarasota

PostFri Aug 20, 2021 3:47 pm

Holy mother of god, ASIO Support!!!! I know many others & myself have been begging / ranting for ASIO support -- I can't tell you how happy I am it's finally made it into Resolve (Bravo).

Update: Installed 17.3 and the crackling issues are gone (tears of joy) -- "and" -- I can fully utilize my RME Interface... Thank you, thank you, thank you to the Devs & BMD (+ 100,000,000 more thanks).

Have a great weekend :)

PS: It's like Christmas in August... ;)
Resolve Studio 18.5.1 | Asus Proart MB | i9 10850k | 128gb ram | Gigabyte RTX 3080 | Decklink Studio 4k 6G | *1x RME UFX+ | 1x MOTU 24i/O | 2x MOTU 896MK3 | 1x MOTU 828MKII | Win 11 Pro | Display Driver: 546.33 SD | Audio Drivers: v1.21-TB

warlockuk

PostFri Aug 20, 2021 4:05 pm

It's so good. I don't have to record my audio in an external recorder, edit my mistakes and then edit the video to the audio anymore; I can do an actual ADR/VO recording properly.

Seriously, thanks to whoever in the team did this; they need the management to buy them all of the drinks.

samwise

PostFri Aug 20, 2021 11:00 pm

Lots of Fairlight updates in today’s update, 17.3! Will be interesting to see if the issues have been fixed. I notice that @VioletWolf got their wish for Steinberg ASIO!

Edit: so only after posting did all the other posts about 17.3 appear. That is amazing news! Finally! Thank you to the devs for their hard work and for listening to the users. Looking forward to trying it!

dankamyouknow

PostWed Aug 25, 2021 12:58 am

samwise wrote:Lots of Fairlight updates in today’s update, 17.3! Will be interesting to see if the issues have been fixed. I notice that @VioletWolf got their wish for Steinberg ASIO!

Edit: so only after posting did all the other posts about 17.3 appear. That is amazing news! Finally! Thank you to the devs for their hard work and for listening to the users. Looking forward to trying it!

Using a Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen interface on my end and I still get crackles and pops on all video clip playback and recording, even using the new ASIO IO engine. Sample rate and playback are the same in Windows and project settings.

No idea what to do at this point. Only started happening on going to Studio 17.2. Never happened on the free version of 17.1 and nothing has changed since then either, same equipment and same camera / video files.

Constant crackling on video playback but none on MP3.
Windows 10 Pro
AMD 5600x
EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra
32GB RAM @ 3600mhz

dankamyouknow

PostWed Aug 25, 2021 1:24 am

Another update. Just went back to Davinci Studio 17.1 and have the same issue. Did not happen on the free version of 17.1.

So, I decided to go back and download Davinci Resolve 17.1 free version and I get NO CRACKLING OR POPPING on any playback.

I only get the playback issues on the Studio version of Davinci 17, but not the free one? What changed between the free version and studio?

Double posting this but maybe a BM employee knows why this is happening
Windows 10 Pro
AMD 5600x
EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra
32GB RAM @ 3600mhz

ginohino

PostTue Aug 31, 2021 1:03 am

It got fixed in the latest update!

dankamyouknow

PostSun Sep 12, 2021 4:43 pm

ginohino wrote:It got fixed in the latest update!

Not for me. Still get crackling on all playback. ONLY ON THE STUDIO VERSION OF DAVINCI.

Their support just straight up stopped replying to me. Going to see about getting a refund for wasting $300, even though I bought it from B&H Photo.
Windows 10 Pro
AMD 5600x
EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra
32GB RAM @ 3600mhz

drivenfilms

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 1:12 pm

I'm having the same issue.

My system is fairly new. AMD Ryzen 9 5950X, plenty of RAM, GTX 3080ti.

I'm getting crackling on my audio in the following situations:

- With my Yamaha monitors running into an Audient EVO 8 and into the PC via USB-C
- With the same monitors running into a Yamaha AG03 and into the PC via USB 3.0
- With headphones plugged into either of those audio interfaces
- With headphones plugged into my PC's front IO and rear IO

This ONLY happens in Resolve. Happens on EVERY project. This is a major issue. I'm in the sound design stage of a project and I can't accurately work on this.

I've updated my drivers. I've updated Resolve. I've updated Windows 10. I've even gone through my entire XLR chain of cables and tried to see if it was a ground issue with the cables. It's clearly not since this crackling happens with a regular headphone port on the PC.

Michael McCaffrey

PostFri Nov 12, 2021 6:28 pm

+1 on the crackling and popping audio. I had no issues until thismorning when upgrading one of the GPUs in my computer from a 1080 Ti to a 3080 Ti and upgrading to the latest Nvidia drivers 472.47.

I'm on a Windows 10 Pro PC running AMD 32-core and a 3090 and a 3080 Ti (new) and Resolve 17.4.1.
Configuration:
Resolve Studio (Always the Latest)
Windows 11 Pro Workstation
32 Core AMD Ryzen Threadripper 256GB RAM
RTX 4090
RTX 3090
100G NAS
(1) 32" Ultra-Wide Display, (1) 4K 27” Display

Michael McCaffrey

PostFri Nov 12, 2021 11:49 pm

Michael McCaffrey wrote:+1 on the crackling and popping audio. I had no issues until thismorning when upgrading one of the GPUs in my computer from a 1080 Ti to a 3080 Ti and upgrading to the latest Nvidia drivers 472.47.

I'm on a Windows 10 Pro PC running AMD 32-core and a 3090 and a 3080 Ti (new) and Resolve 17.4.1.

UPDATE: Fixed the issue by moving both monitor plugs (HDMI) to the same card (3080 Ti). Having one monitor in one card and the other monitor in the 3090 GPU for whatever reason resulted in crackling and popping.
Configuration:
RTX 4090
RTX 3090
100G NAS

Michael McCaffrey

PostFri Nov 19, 2021 1:27 am

Michael McCaffrey wrote:
Michael McCaffrey wrote:+1 on the crackling and popping audio. I had no issues until thismorning when upgrading one of the GPUs in my computer from a 1080 Ti to a 3080 Ti and upgrading to the latest Nvidia drivers 472.47.

UPDATE: Fixed the issue by moving both monitor plugs (HDMI) to the same card (3080 Ti). Having one monitor in one card and the other monitor in the 3090 GPU for whatever reason resulted in crackling and popping.

UPDATE2: I take that back. The issue has re-appeared when playing back audio only in the source monitor (wave file or .mp3, both crackle and pop).
Configuration:
RTX 4090
RTX 3090
100G NAS

Steague

PostSun Nov 21, 2021 3:14 am

I get this audio drop out issues , even with the latest Davinci ressolve 17.4.
I use a Steinberg UR28M USB card with the latest Steinberg Yamaha Drivers.
I have a Asus NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB DUAL OC Ampere Graphics Card running on a Scan 3xs Ryzen sytem with a AMD Ryzen9 3950X CPU and run data the M2 disk

I use Cubase 11 with monster amounts of tracks and plugins loaded without issue so I know the audio is up to being able to handle the simple two tracks stereo on Resolve in theory

I have been through all the buffer settings and other audio settings , to no avail.
If i use the onboard sound from the ASRock X570 Taichi Motherboard , there is no problem.

Here's the thing, I think the glithches are caused by a USB bottleneck issue! All the cards mentioned on an earlier post are USB sound cards.
My Yamaha sound drivers said there was a USB issue. Trouble is, my sound is perfect on my Cubase Audio program, I really dont want to mess with uninstalling and re-installing drivers. But I really need a fix for Resolve Studio. I didnt have this problem on the free Davinci Resolve 17.
I dont get why there should be a USB issue because I made sure all the disc drives are onboard etc but my money is on that USB bottleneck being the case.

Question to Black Magic... There is a possible issue with USB Audio cards on Resolve, what is the workaround without uninstalling and re-installing audio drivers?

This has got to be something at your end as my other video editing software works fine and its funny that I was fine with your free Resolve and now having bought a licence and fast editor I am getting audio issues which makes Resolve very difficult to use. The latest update (17.4 - 17 November 2021) nothing changed.

these kind of audio glitches were common back in the day on D.A.W.'s with compatability issues and primitive sound drivers but in most cases have been long fixed. IMO BM need to come up to speed and work out a fix for those of us that are suffering these issues. Look at USB architecture please and work us a fix out. Many thanks

Javier Aanonsen

PostTue Nov 30, 2021 5:14 pm

Has this been resolve in a post yet? I have not been able to find any solutions.
I just upgraded to 17.4.2 and now of course have cracking popping audio.

I have an ROG Zenith II Extreme MB.

Regardless of specs. Resolve 16 worked. Now resolve 17 Cracking and Popping.

Hopefully we can fix the issue Blackmagic.
Thanks!

IstvanOnFire

PostThu Dec 09, 2021 1:34 pm

Steague wrote:I get this audio drop out issues , even with the latest Davinci ressolve 17.4.
I use a Steinberg UR28M USB card with the latest Steinberg Yamaha Drivers.
I have a Asus NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB DUAL OC Ampere Graphics Card running on a Scan 3xs Ryzen sytem with a AMD Ryzen9 3950X CPU and run data the M2 disk

I use Cubase 11 with monster amounts of tracks and plugins loaded without issue so I know the audio is up to being able to handle the simple two tracks stereo on Resolve in theory

I have been through all the buffer settings and other audio settings , to no avail.
If i use the onboard sound from the ASRock X570 Taichi Motherboard , there is no problem.

Here's the thing, I think the glithches are caused by a USB bottleneck issue! All the cards mentioned on an earlier post are USB sound cards.
My Yamaha sound drivers said there was a USB issue. Trouble is, my sound is perfect on my Cubase Audio program, I really dont want to mess with uninstalling and re-installing drivers. But I really need a fix for Resolve Studio. I didnt have this problem on the free Davinci Resolve 17.
I dont get why there should be a USB issue because I made sure all the disc drives are onboard etc but my money is on that USB bottleneck being the case.

Question to Black Magic... There is a possible issue with USB Audio cards on Resolve, what is the workaround without uninstalling and re-installing audio drivers?

This has got to be something at your end as my other video editing software works fine and its funny that I was fine with your free Resolve and now having bought a licence and fast editor I am getting audio issues which makes Resolve very difficult to use. The latest update (17.4 - 17 November 2021) nothing changed.

these kind of audio glitches were common back in the day on D.A.W.'s with compatability issues and primitive sound drivers but in most cases have been long fixed. IMO BM need to come up to speed and work out a fix for those of us that are suffering these issues. Look at USB architecture please and work us a fix out. Many thanks

You must look on the functionalities what you had not in the free version.
I think you have problems with Audio Plugins under Settings.
I would check "VST Effects" and "Available Plugins", play around deactivating them,
as I know, Davinci was not supporting VST3, now it is.

Javier Aanonsen

PostThu Dec 16, 2021 6:16 pm

I will give it a try thanks!

Michael McCaffrey

PostThu Dec 23, 2021 3:34 am

Still crackling audio in Resolve 17.4.3

Suspect it might be nvidia drivers. I dont know. Started happening ever since adding a RTX 3080 and updating to latest nvidia drivers.
Configuration:
RTX 4090
RTX 3090
100G NAS

Herdel

PostTue Dec 28, 2021 4:52 pm

I'm using a Scarlet solo gen 2 and I was having terrible problems anytime I'd use a audio plugin on the most recent versions. Mainly using Izotope software.

I found it wierd because I was using the first version of Resolve 17 until I paused the project I was working for some months. Came back to it a few days ago, updated to the latest version and the audio became a nightmare. The program becomes slow and crackling audio ensues.

Spent around a week on and of trying to find the problem from changing drivers of the interface, the nvidia drivers and so on. But the solution was going back to the 1st version of 17 and the plugins work again...

VSTs were supposed to work better on these last updates right?

vinniechu

PostFri Jan 14, 2022 7:59 pm

I think I solved the crackling problem for myself.

Using Scarlett 2i4 2nd gen on windows PC Resolve 17 studio.

In the Preferences menu > Video and Audio I/O
For I/O Engine, select ASIO

Mine was on System Audio initially and I believe that was causing the audio issues. Good luck!

CrinkleCut

PostSun Jan 16, 2022 9:46 am

This problem is still present when using either a Scarlett Focusrite 2i2 (2nd Gen) and a Behringer UMC 202 HD on either system drivers or ASIO. Brutal scenes

peterjackson

PostSun Jan 16, 2022 9:53 am

CrinkleCut wrote:This problem is still present when using either a Scarlett Focusrite 2i2 (2nd Gen) and a Behringer UMC 202 HD on either system drivers or ASIO. Brutal scenes
Run LatencyMon. Post results.
5950x, 3090, 128GB.

Peter McLennan

PostSun Jan 16, 2022 5:23 pm

I've suffered audio crackling issues since I began using Resolve 17. They only occur when using 4K footage from any of several cameras. It persists over two graphics cards.

Two clues: crackling only appears in the Edit page and creating optimized media removes this problem.

I'm using ASIO and a Behringer UMC 404.

I ran LatencyMon, but the results are rather opaque to me. It does report "Your system appears to be suitable for handling real-time audio and other tasks without dropouts."

Any assistance or further suggestions welcome.
ASUS ROG X570-E motherboard, Ryzen 9 3900X, 64GB RAM, 1TB SSD boot, 2TB NVMe work, Zotac RTX 3060 12 GB, Behrenger Uphoria UMC 404HD.

16bitmusic

PostThu Feb 10, 2022 8:46 am

For me, switching the inputs of my interface solved the problem. Here is a demonstration.

graviphoton

PostMon Feb 21, 2022 10:24 am

The Continuous Story of Scarlett Solo

Phase I: DaVinci Resolve problems
Symptoms: Playing and recording in Resolve with crackling.

As a replacement for my old (USB connected) headset I have bought recently Scarlett Solo for use with new Superlux HMC660-X headset (and opportunity for upgrading to better headphone/microphone later). I set it up and at first it looks really good. Until I opened Resolve Studio...

Obviously there was an incompatibility in OS / audio interface drivers / Resolve because recording in Voice Recorder, Audacity or Vegas Pro 17 was perfectly OK. Even under heavy stress when playing demanding game my voice commentary was without crackling.

I tried
  • change buffer size
  • change sample rate
  • use ASIO in Resolve
  • use ASIO4ALL drivers
  • change settings for exlusive use of audio device
  • reinstall motherboard drivers
  • reinstall Focusrite drivers
  • change USB port (I also bought USB extension card)
  • change USB cable
but without success.

Phase II: System wide problems
Symptoms: Recording in any program with crackling

Then I found new (beta) BIOS version for my motherboard and updated it.
After reboot I jumped directly to Resolve and tried playing... and it was OK. I tried record in Fairlight... and it was OK too! I was happy for a while: problem solved.

I thought. Until I tried record my gameplay. The longer I stayed in game the more crackling appeared. Crackling was also in another programs. Crackling was present even half an hour after closing game. So crackling is system wide but only for recording. Sometimes it begins just after starting the computer sometimes after only under stress. Completely unreliable.

But playing is crackling free.

(Also I tried all actions mention for phase I. No change.)

Phase III: Reconsidering
I spent days testing and configuring so understandably I am tired. I do not care if it is flawed design of audio interface or motherboard or OS or anything else. And because it seems that other audio interfaces have similiar problems maybe it is time to get back to simple headset solution without any audio interface. Just plug it in and use it.

My PC:
  • Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING
  • Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Cooler: NOCTUA NH-U12S SE-AM4
  • RAM: HyperX 32GB KIT 3200MHz DDR4 CL16
  • Power Supply: Corsair RM750
  • GPU: GAINWARD GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Phoenix 12GB
  • SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB/Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
  • Headset: Genius GX Gaming MORDAX HS-G600

My audio setup:
  • Audio Interface: Focusrite Scarlett Solo
  • Headset: Superlux HMC660-X
ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING | AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | HyperX 32GB KIT 3200MHz DDR4 CL16 | Corsair RM750 | GAINWARD GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Phoenix 12GB | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB | beyerdynamic MMX 300 2G | Windows 11 | Resolve Studio

MarvinBarre

PostSun Feb 27, 2022 11:27 am

The problem is still occurring feb27 2022
Resolve 17.4 studio version
I use scarlett 2i2 3rd gen
I tired everything suggested from asio to fixed buss

Zoom H5 recorder used as USB interface works fine in fairlight

Is there a USB interface that works in resolve and is around $350 max.?

jamedia

PostSun Feb 27, 2022 11:35 am

MarvinBarre wrote:The problem is still occurring feb27 2022
Resolve 17.4 studio version
I use scarlett 2i2 3rd gen
I tired everything suggested from asio to fixed buss

Zoom H5 recorder used as USB interface works fine in fairlight

Is there a USB interface that works in resolve and is around $350 max.?

Just to confuse matters. I am using Studio 17.4.4 and a Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen and no crakles.... (though I hope I am not tempting fate.)
www.JAmedia.uk
[AMD Ryzen 5950X 16 Core CPU | 128GB Ram | NVIDIA 3080TI 12GB ]
[MB ASUS ProArt B550| C Drive:; 1TB M2 980 Pro | D Drive; 2TB M2 970 EVO ]
[ Win 11 home |Resolve Studio V18.6 | Speed Editor via USB | Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen| ]

MarvinBarre

PostSun Feb 27, 2022 12:07 pm

Could you share your set up in resolve?

Do you have fixed bus mapping on ? (Project setting - fairlight - audio busing mode)
Also do you use ASIO mode?

Is your 2i2 connected directly into your computer USB port?

Do you use a laptop or desktop?

Was it working from the very beginning?

Thank you for your help

jamedia

PostSun Feb 27, 2022 12:35 pm

MarvinBarre wrote:Could you share your set up in resolve?

PC as beloiw in sig.

MarvinBarre wrote:Do you have fixed bus mapping on ? (Project setting - fairlight - audio busing mode)
Also do you use ASIO mode?

Video shot in and timelines in 1080P 50FPS
in edit usually only 1 stero (music) track and one mono VO trak

Capture01.JPG
Capture01.JPG (60.08 KiB) Viewed 5438 times

Capture02.JPG
Capture02.JPG (37.43 KiB) Viewed 5437 times

Capture03.JPG
Capture03.JPG (16.35 KiB) Viewed 5437 times

Bus format is stereo as the music track is stereo.

MarvinBarre wrote: Is your 2i2 connected directly into your computer USB port?

Direclty connected to USB3 port no hub,

MarvinBarre wrote:Do you use a laptop or desktop?

Desktop PC as below in sig.
Also the speakers ( https://www.studiospares.com/studiospares-sn5a-active-studio-monitor-248060.htm ) are routed out through the 2i2 for all the Pc's audio not just for Resolve.

MarvinBarre wrote: Was it working from the very beginning?

Yes... though I don't use it that often so I have no idea if it came and went with any particualr update since 17.0

MarvinBarre wrote:Thank you for your help

We have to help each otrher as BMD seems totally unsrsponsive to user on this forum most of the time.
www.JAmedia.uk
[ Win 11 home |Resolve Studio V18.6 | Speed Editor via USB | Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen| ]

peterjackson

PostSun Feb 27, 2022 1:38 pm

If someday people will figure that Focusrite drivers are all und utter crap and Motu produces better spec and performing devices for a similar price.
5950x, 3090, 128GB.

jamedia

PostSun Feb 27, 2022 2:35 pm

peterjackson wrote:If someday people will figure that Focusrite drivers are all und utter crap and Motu produces better spec and performing devices for a similar price.

All my Foucsrite drivers work fine... I have never seen anyone else complain about them in all the years I have used Focusrite.
www.JAmedia.uk

MarvinBarre

marvinbarre

PostSun Feb 27, 2022 3:19 pm

Thank you ,

So after many ,many days of distorted audio it started to work properly.
I didn't restart my computer , I didn't restart resolve, I didn't change anything in the settings.

What I did was, I plugged scarlett into USB hub , and It started to work properly there.
Then I plugged it back into the laptop USB and it started to work there as well.

I seems to be working properly for now.
Can someone explain what might have happened there.

Thank you

jamedia

Re: marvinbarre

PostSun Feb 27, 2022 3:54 pm

MarvinBarre wrote:Thank you ,

So after many ,many days of distorted audio it started to work properly.
I didn't restart my computer , I didn't restart resolve, I didn't change anything in the settings.

What I did was, I plugged scarlett into USB hub , and It started to work properly there.
Then I plugged it back into the laptop USB and it started to work there as well.

I seems to be working properly for now.
Can someone explain what might have happened there.

Thank you

It's called Magic...... :;-) Possibly how the drivers enumerate and resultant latencies. However as this only appears with Resolve and nothing else it is more likley how Resolve handles the audio drivers.
www.JAmedia.uk

Michael McCaffrey

PostWed Mar 23, 2022 3:34 am

Still getting crackling audio in 17.4.5. Been happening now in the last 3-4 upgrades. Wish this was fixed! Seems like its getting worse and worse.
Configuration:
RTX 4090
RTX 3090
100G NAS

Peter McLennan

PostWed Mar 23, 2022 6:42 pm

Michael McCaffrey wrote:Still getting crackling audio in 17.4.5. Been happening now in the last 3-4 upgrades. Wish this was fixed! Seems like its getting worse and worse.

Drives me bonkers. Any audio accompanying 4K footage, whether camera audio or independently sourced, crackles during playback. Rendering Optimized Media removes it completely. Not present in rendered output.

I'm hoping my Mac Studio fixes it.
ASUS ROG X570-E motherboard, Ryzen 9 3900X, 64GB RAM, 1TB SSD boot, 2TB NVMe work, Zotac RTX 3060 12 GB, Behrenger Uphoria UMC 404HD.

Michael McCaffrey

PostSun Mar 27, 2022 6:25 pm

16bitmusic wrote:For me, switching the inputs of my interface solved the problem. Here is a demonstration.

Is this video still available somewhere?
Configuration:
RTX 4090
RTX 3090
100G NAS

Michael McCaffrey

PostSun Mar 27, 2022 6:49 pm

Tried the ASIO option. Installed ASIO4All and got it all working and configured, but still have crackling and popping audio. Is there a video that shows how to get it to work correctly? Am I missing something?
Configuration:
RTX 4090
RTX 3090
100G NAS

Michael McCaffrey

PostWed Mar 30, 2022 5:08 am

Did 17.4.6 solve this problem for anyone?
Configuration:
RTX 4090
RTX 3090
100G NAS
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve