error message: Audio Output - Selected device not found

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

SvenJoe

error message: Audio Output - Selected device not found

PostWed Aug 26, 2020 8:22 pm

This error message ("Audio Output - Selected device not found") occurs ALL THE TIME...I don´t even want to have audio files! I deleted them, I muted my tracks.. doesn´t matter, the error message pops up in the middle of the screen and is always in the way of everything. Pretty annoying..
Please tell me where these settings are!
Thank you guys!

Jerry Suppan

Re: error message: Audio Output - Selected device not found

PostWed Dec 16, 2020 7:14 am

I have received exactly the same problem with DR 17 b.5 installation. Nobody is pitching in to provide an answer as to where such devices are selected, so, I reckon we are a ship at sea without a sale.
Jerry S.
Tokyo, Japan

Reynaud Venter

PostWed Dec 16, 2020 7:21 am

Not experiencing this on macOS. Is this on Windows?

What is the configuration in Preferences > System > Video and Audio I/O > Speaker Setup?

Charles Bennett

PostWed Dec 16, 2020 12:55 pm

I will assume you are on Windows. I have a built-in Realtek card and the pic shows it set up in Resolve. You select it in Preferences. Also make sure that in Windows Sound, both the Recording and Playback tabs' Advanced setting is set to 48k
Attachments
System Audio.JPG
System Audio.JPG (70.02 KiB) Viewed 31306 times
Win IO settings.jpg
Win IO settings.jpg (365.05 KiB) Viewed 31306 times
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (546.01 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

joshuacripps

PostSun Dec 27, 2020 5:23 pm

I have this problem as well in Windows 10 with a RealTek audio card. What causes the issue for me is when I plug in headphones after I've already launched Resolve. The workaround solution for me is to quite Resolve, plug in the headphones, then re-launch Resolve.

Hector Corcin

PostSun Jan 31, 2021 4:41 pm

If you use the monitor speakers, it seems Davinci Resolve is not compatible with having the power settings to Turn the monitor off after a while, because each time the monitor is back on, the audio is lost and the message pops all the time. You have to restart Davinci.

tdogg383

PostSun Jan 31, 2021 10:06 pm

This happens for me in Davinci Resolve 17 on windows 10 using Bose QC35 Bluetooth headphones. When the bluetooth connects/disconnects on the headphones, the audio output throws the error message.

Speaker Configuration: Use System Setting

If you "hardwire" them in using a cable, there is no issue
If you have the bluetooth connected PRIOR to staring DR17 and don't turn them off, there is no issue.
If you turn the bluetooth on AFTER starting DR17, you WILL GET the issue of "Audio Output: Selected device not found".

Workaround is restarting DR17, but this needs to be fixed.

For me, it is very specific to the toggling ON/OFF of bluetooth and DR not catching up with the settings.

Jim Simon

PostMon Feb 01, 2021 2:44 pm

Hector Corcin wrote:Resolve is not compatible with having the power settings to Turn the monitor off after a while

On an editing system, everything should be fully powered at all times. Disable any Sleep, Hibernate, Low Power modes.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Hector Corcin

PostSat Feb 06, 2021 6:59 pm

Jim Simon wrote:On an editing system, everything should be fully powered at all times. Disable any Sleep, Hibernate, Low Power modes.

That's debatable. I think power saving is more important. The fact is that it is a bug. Maybe the bug is in the graphics card hdmi driver or in Resolve. but it is a bug.

Hardship

PostWed Mar 03, 2021 8:22 am

I get this annoying message every 15 seconds or so if I disconnect my headphones! :O :O :O! It ALWAYS lands on top of all other apps (mostly over Avid).

Vadim2HC

PostMon Mar 08, 2021 4:29 pm

Restarting Resolve works to eliminate this message. It definitely seems that Resolve fails to detect a device if it has been put to sleep due to inactivity.

willsher

PostFri Mar 12, 2021 8:19 pm

I understand the reason for the message.
But there's no way to TURN OFF the message.
You dismiss it and it continues.
When i'm in the middle of something (that doesn't need audio) and just want to keep going,
it takes focus and is RELENTLESS.

DerPaule13

PostWed Mar 17, 2021 2:59 pm

Same here. Very annoying.
The way DR16 handled audio output was perfectly fine.
Whenever I want to output the editing monitor + audio (through HDMI) to our big monitor for clients there is no audio from DR17. Other Windows-Apps work fine. The audio settings are being changed in windows.
And this Audio Output message pops up every 15 seconds...

Solution for now is to start the TV + soundbar FIRST and then starting DR17 (or restarting DR17...).
This way DR17 detects the now available output and it works.

Would be great if DR17 would handle this as DR16 did :idea:
DR 18.5 B41 | Win10 Pro 64 bit | AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | 64 GB RAM | Nvidia GTX 3090 (24 GB) (SD 512.59) | NAS 1621+ w/ SSDs | NAS 1819+ w/ HDDs (DR PostgreSQL DB) | Network & Internet via 10GbE LAN | Avira Anitvirus

Charles Bennett

PostWed Mar 17, 2021 9:32 pm

Resolve along with the computer's usb hubs should not be set to hibernate or sleep. A lot of programs will not restart properly from those states, Resolve being one of them, Pro Tools another.
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (546.01 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Timo92

PostThu Mar 18, 2021 7:37 pm

Same problem. This only occured since Resolve 17. Never had this issue with Resolve 16. Same speakers, same system, same computer. I guess the developers introduced a new bug.

Now, whenever I connect a bluetooth headphone, I get this error message and must restart Resolve. Super annoying. Used to work flawlessly in Resolve 16.

ResolveNoob

PostFri Mar 19, 2021 12:47 pm

Agree with everyone here. Whenever you plug in a bluetooth device for audio, you get that error and no matter what you do, you can't get it off the screen. Your only option is to restart. This only started with the introduction of resolve 17.

dropoutcp

PostSun Mar 21, 2021 7:25 pm

I'm also having this issue. Every time I turn on my headphones so I can use fairlight, or edit sound on a different device (to test audio levels on multiple devices) -- I get this error and have to restart. It's very large project file and the time lost restarting is a huge waste. Why in the heck is there no way to reconnect audio devices manually? Resolve has enough audio issues when things are working normally-- y'all gonna make me reboot the entire program every time I want to use headphones?
Give me a break.

dropoutcp

PostSun Mar 21, 2021 7:26 pm

I also have this every time I connect bluetooth headphones. This needs to be fixed. I have literally lost hours of time restarting the program so I can check audio levels on different devices. Absurd.

Timo92

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 12:33 am

Well, i guess this is a new feature, since DR16 worked perfectly fine in this regard. *Sarcasm off*

RogersPhotography

PostSun Mar 28, 2021 7:18 pm

Same issue with 17. If my Bluetooth headset is enabled before launch it's fine. If it disconnects for any reason you can't even see it in preferences (strange) and you have to restart it. It was fine in 16.

bgausman

PostMon Mar 29, 2021 8:17 pm

Same problem, just started yesterday when I installed newest version, 17.1 Build 24.
My speakers are built into my Dell monitor so turn off when in sleep mode.
Each time I leave my computer for a break I have it set to sleep.
When I wake it up I always have to restart Resolve to avoid the "Selected Device not found" message.
Maybe Black Magic doesn't want us taking breaks ;)
Previous versions ran just fine on my Windows 10 PC.
Hope this gets fixed in next update.

trint99

PostFri Apr 02, 2021 12:50 am

Windows 10 laptop. I just upgraded to DR 17. For me the bug happens when I unplug OR plug in my WIRED headphones. (I have one set of headphones with a good mic that I use for voice-over, but another set of headphones that are more comfortable for editing.)

This is clearly a bug and is REALLY screwing up my productivity having to restart the application over and over.

beyondvisuals

PostFri Apr 02, 2021 2:21 pm

Hey all.
I've been using Resolve and found a hand full of irritating bugs that the devteam does fix over a long time, what seems to be forever. To me it seems that priorities with Blackmagic do not lie in offering a good user experience. I must say though that the general stability of Resolve has improved a lot in Studio 17.

This error message is a DOUBLE bug. Not only the issue reported of not finding selected device - which is an utterly stupid error and a shame that it remains unfixed.
Then, the insessant message boxes popping up over everything else are an even bigger shame. Once will do, I don't need or want to be reminded repeatedly that I'm not hearing anything through my bluetooth headhope - I know, right! That is really insult to injury

So Black Magic, hear my plea: fix this bug with priority because it is tarnishing your reputation :)

Bob Rooney

PostTue Apr 06, 2021 5:46 pm

I have just incurred this message after connecting my Samsung Tab S7+ as a second monitor and I had Resolve open at the time. The message keeps repeating every 10 seconds.

I just changed a Preference setting and the message no longer appears. Not sure that's the solution I was but it works for now and I get continue editing.

The change I made was 'use system settings' to 'manual'. See attachment
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (170.43 KiB) Viewed 22480 times
Laptop Specs:

Purchased Spring '23 Running Davinci Resolve 18.5
MSI GT77 HX 13V
64Gig Ram
Display 3480X2160 144 hertz
Intel 13th Generation I9
Nvidia GeForce RTX 4080
Windows 11 Pro
3 2TB SSD

logularjason

PostSun Apr 18, 2021 3:39 am

Same issue for me on V17.1.1. I have Sony 1000XM4 bluetooth headphones. If I forget to power them on, or they power off due to inactivity (visit the loo or make a cup of tea - they detect removal from the head), then Resolve gets lost and cannot detect their reconnection. Restart is the only fix.

V16 was fine, so a functional regression.

Keen to know when this is fixed.

longboardluv

PostTue Apr 20, 2021 8:35 pm

This just started happening to me too. My situation is that I have USB headphones on a little USB switch, so when i flip them off my audio goes to my desktop speakers. When I flip it back on, it goes to my headphones. This has worked great forever. I can stop an listen to music or a youtube video with my speakers. When i'm ready to edit, i flip the switch and throw on my headphones, however now i'm having the same issue everyone else is. Having to restart DR each time is a pain in the butt. I tried setting it to manual and selecting one of the audio devices, but none of them seem to work. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. anyway. here is the switch i use

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X8 ... UTF8&psc=1

Timo92

PostSun Apr 25, 2021 7:08 pm

guys, they won't fix it because it's not a bug, it's a new feature

longboardluv

PostSun Apr 25, 2021 9:08 pm

Timo92 wrote:guys, they won't fix it because it's not a bug, it's a new feature

it's a bug!!

I switch my computer from DESKTOP Speakers to Headphones throughout the day. It's messed up, i don't care what you call it.

Markus Hottenrott

PostWed Apr 28, 2021 9:13 am

The error still exists and the reason is quite simple ... in my opinion. After Resolve is started, it simply does not recognize new audio devices and then when the system standard changes, it does not find the device. Therefore the change to "manual" is not helpful, because you don't get an error anymore, but you also can't work with the right device, because it can't be selected manually.

The requirement that an editing system should always be stable and always have everything connected misses a bit the fact that more and more people also use mobile setups.

This bug is still there and whishes to be solved :-)

longboardluv

PostThu Apr 29, 2021 12:51 pm

Markus Hottenrott wrote:The error still exists and the reason is quite simple ... in my opinion. After Resolve is started, it simply does not recognize new audio devices and then when the system standard changes, it does not find the device. Therefore the change to "manual" is not helpful, because you don't get an error anymore, but you also can't work with the right device, because it can't be selected manually.

The requirement that an editing system should always be stable and always have everything connected misses a bit the fact that more and more people also use mobile setups.

This bug is still there and whishes to be solved :-)

- this is the best explanation!

JohnChaytor

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 8:01 pm

Am really getting the hump with this popup message.

If Black Magic Design are trying to get more people into their eco-system with the free version (and later upgrade to Studio) they have to undesrtand that a lot of those people will not be professional outfits with dedicated editing suites which must always be powered (up as a previous poster dismissively said).

This didn't happen in earlier versions.

I'm annoyed I downloaded the latest 17 release and will not do so in future.

Please sort this out.

markvk

PostMon May 03, 2021 7:11 pm

Yes EXTREAMLY annoying, just found it when editing remotely on my lappy on a train. normally i just use speakers on my workstation at home and never use headphones!

Be interesting to see how long it takes the laid back devs at black magic to sort it out.

Jason Rushin

PostSat May 08, 2021 1:19 am

This happens to me, but only when my Windows PC screen times out. Not goes to sleep, just has the screen turn off. When I jiggle the mouse or hit the keyboard to get the screen back on, the "Audio Output - Selected device not found" is there waiting for me. Mocking me. I have to go into Preferences and just change the audio I/O "speaker configuration" to get it to stop. Not change it to anything specific, just change it to something else.

Very odd.

bruce.b

PostThu May 13, 2021 2:32 am

I'm happy to report that installing 17.2 (Studio edition, in my case) fixed this annoying bug!!

Thanks!!

Bruce

JohnChaytor

PostThu May 13, 2021 7:17 pm

It seems that the fix seems to be "comment out the code". I've been years in IT and sometimes it's a good strategy to do a quick and dirty "fix"!

Thanks Black Magic for getting rid of the annoying popup in 17.2 but the sound is still lost for me.

Trying to change Davince Resolve settings made no difference fro manual to use system settings. Although it listed my monitor it didn't accept it when I tried to select it.

What works for me is go into Windows Sound settings. Click on the Playback tab. Select any other device. Select your monitor again then click OK.

In my setup, Davinci Resolve's sound playback then works again.

DamonsIamb

PostThu Jun 17, 2021 9:44 am

What works for me...If I change the speaker setting in Windows (because I want to listen to something without headphones on for a while - say TV speakers) from what is selected in Resolve (Headphones via RodeCaster Pro), I get the annoying error message pop up every 20 seconds on my monitor (TV). If I open the sound settings on my Windows computer and set it to what DaVinci 17 expects; the message doesn't appear again.

You can either change your Windows settings or your Resolve 17 settings but you can't have both. They have to match.

dev_willis

PostWed Oct 27, 2021 1:51 pm

I just experienced this error as well but in a different context. I was using the DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K and getting the error. Windows was set to use the DeckLink and it would play system sounds but Resolve had no audio and this error message was popping up every 15s or so. It was not fixed by restarting Resolve or the computer. I finally fixed it by going to Resolve's preferences under "Video and Audio I/O" > "Audio I/O" and changing the I/O Engine from "System Audio" to "Desktop Video." I've never had to do this before so I don't know if it was previously set to "Desktop Video" and somehow something changed it to "System Audio" or if it was always set to "System Audio" and something else has changed that prevents it from working that way now.
  • Windows 10 Pro 22H2, Resolve Studio 18.5.1, Nvidia Studio Driver 536.4
  • Threadripper 3960X, RTX 3090 FE, 64GB RAM, 3x 980PRO SSDs
  • Threadripper 1920X, GTX 1070 Ti, 32GB RAM, 3x 960PRO SSDs
  • TrueNAS Mini XL+ 64TB media server
  • Mac Mini M1 project server

Return to DaVinci Resolve