Fusion: Manipulate multiple nodes at the same time

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Derek Howard

Fusion: Manipulate multiple nodes at the same time

PostThu Aug 27, 2020 6:10 pm

I feel like I'm missing something obvious, but is there a way to change a parameter on multiple different Fusion nodes at once (without using a script)?

Many times I need to do things like, for example, animate the opacity of 2 or 3 nodes to the same values or select multiple objects to move, but I want to move them all at the same time, equal distance while maintaining their current layout and spacing from each other.

I know I can do this by just adding a new transform node and linking them, but many times they are in different parts of the node tree and I don't want to keep creating random nodes to animate one small moment. It's easier to remember where everything is if I can limit all the places I am controlling each element.

Thanks in advance!

TheBloke

Re: Fusion: Manipulate multiple nodes at the same time

PostThu Aug 27, 2020 10:08 pm

There's no way to move multiple inspector values at once, no. In other words, there's no equivalent of, say, selecting three clips on Edit and adjusting their Opacity all at once.

There are a few things you can do:
1. Firstly, as you already talked about, if it's something like a Transform, then you can use a dedicated Transform node, where that's useful and appropriate to do.

2. It's possible to copy parameters between nodes. Copy the source node, then in the Inspector right-click on the parameter to set, and choose "Paste Settings". This will set that particular setting (or group of settings) from the node you just copied.

3. If the connection between the controls is to be permanent, you can join them via Expressions, or via a Publish -> Connect To relationship. Eg right click on control 1, choose Publish. Right click on controls 2, 3 and 4, and on each choose Connect To.. <control 1>. Those controls are now linked bi-directionally, meaning changing any of them will also change the other values.

Publish->Connect To assumes that the same value can go in all of them - it wouldn't handle the case of moving them relatively. That can be done with Expressions, or with Modifiers.

4. There are some very useful scripts you can download using the Reactor plugin manager.

There's Batch Change Parameters, which allows you to batch change a specified parameter. This allows a range of operations, from simply setting a specific value, to applying numeric offsets ("add 20 to each existing value on control X of the selected nodes"), to applying calculations ("Multiply control X of the selected nodes by 10").

The script I prefer is For Slash, which requires using the Console window, but then provides a command-line type interface with sophisticated control, similar to writing on an OS command line:

Code: Select all
/for selected set TopLeftRed to 2
/for selected animate Level
/for all where TopLeftAlpha == 1 set TopLeftAlpha to 2
And many more options.

5. The Spline Editor has a few options as well, at least for when keyframes are involved. Set the keyframes on tool 1, find that control in the Spline Editor, select the points, right-click -> Copy Points, now go to other nodes and right-click Paste Points/Values. It will require that at least one keyframe is set on the second node/control.

This is a good way to copy complex sets of keyframes and keyframe curves.
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

Leif Kaehler

PostFri Aug 28, 2020 6:41 am

There is also the option to instance nodes. Copy a node to clipboard, then paste it back with your shift key pressed (ctrl+shift+v). This will create an instance node, which is connected to its original via a thin green line. A parameter you change (or animate) in either the original or the instance will change in both (or all if you have more than one instance) nodes. If you want to exclude certain parameters from this interconnection, right click them in the inspector and choose "deinstance" from the context menu.

This is very useful in many situations.
Windows 10 Pro, latest Version
Asus ProArt Z790 Creator, Intel i9-13900K, 192 GB RAM
nVidia RTX4090, Studio Driver v.564.01
Network: 10GbE + File Server / NAS
Resolve Studio Version 18.1.4
Decklink Mini Monitor 4K

Derek Howard

PostFri Aug 28, 2020 3:56 pm

Thanks for the help! Yeah I was afraid it wasn't possible.

I was aware of all the options mentioned, but I appreciate the help either way. I do have Reactor already but haven't looked for a plugin there so I'll give that a shot.

rsf123

PostMon Mar 15, 2021 2:20 pm

I read the above thread a few days ago while searching for answers to the same problem.

Just today, I found the answer: It is possible to manipulate multiple nodes at the same time.

I found the answer while watching a youtube tutorial by Sualvi. He pointed out that, when several nodes are open in the Inspector at the same time, you can "pin" (the pin icon which is alongisde the lock and reset icons) such that you can open multiple nodes simultaneously in the Inspector.

This ability to open multiple nodes in the Inspector simultaneously lets you connect Expressions from one node to the other.

kwinntus

PostThu Apr 29, 2021 3:42 pm

I found the answer while watching a youtube tutorial by Sualvi. He pointed out that, when several nodes are open in the Inspector at the same time, you can "pin" (the pin icon which is alongisde the lock and reset icons) such that you can open multiple nodes simultaneously in the Inspector.

That is one way but i found another way that is even better imo.
There is a Node called "CustomTool" wich gives you a bunch of different values, these values you can then connect to other Nodes you wanna keyframe.

Pin the Custom Node so it stays visible and open your node of choice and rightclick the value that you want to keyframe. Choose Expression and then drag the + sign via left click on one of the numbers or points in the custom tool.

Probably one of my favourite Nodes in Fusion since it really helps in keeping your keyframes organized, espacially as the comp gets bigger and more complex.

EidosCineArt

PostThu Jan 13, 2022 3:03 pm

kwinntus wrote:

That is one way but i found another way that is even better imo.
There is a Node called "CustomTool" wich gives you a bunch of different values, these values you can then connect to other Nodes you wanna keyframe.

Pin the Custom Node so it stays visible and open your node of choice and rightclick the value that you want to keyframe. Choose Expression and then drag the + sign via left click on one of the numbers or points in the custom tool.

Probably one of my favourite Nodes in Fusion since it really helps in keeping your keyframes organized, espacially as the comp gets bigger and more complex.

Hello! If you have many (10-200) nodes for manipulating, can you apply expression (like a "paste attributes") for multiple nodes which links with custom tools?

RedRider14

PostMon Jul 25, 2022 1:37 pm

Just wanted to give a big thanks to Roger Smith for taking the time to post his solution to manipulating several Fusion nodes by using the Pin button.

I don't think I would ever have worked it out, and his simple answer saved me literally 3 - 4 hours in building an effect. Good catch Roger.
Thanks also to Sualvi whose YT tutorial was responsible for showing the method.
Cheers and many thanks
RED
Core i7 9700K 3.6 GHz 64GB RAM Windows10
nVidia RTX3080ti Suprim GPU Studio Driver 537.58
Media drive Samsung 970 EVO 1TB
Dual 32" monitors + Decklink Mini to 46" panel
Resolve Studio 18.5.1 Desktop Video 12.4
CEO PostFacility 44yrs

Mark Walter

PostThu Dec 15, 2022 12:14 am

I just need to change the font on 75 nodes. How would I do that in the easiest way? If this is not possible, how can I at least change the default font which is open sans to the font I need?

Return to DaVinci Resolve