Timeline Playback and Scrubbing Freezes, App useless

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Chris_Colton

Timeline Playback and Scrubbing Freezes, App useless

PostSun Aug 30, 2020 4:52 am

I'm facing a maddening problem with no apparent cause or fix. When I open Resolve, I can scrub and play back any sequence normally. Within a minute or so, whatever frame is in the viewers freezes there. Scrubbing doesn't update the viewer, and hitting any playback control does nothing. Happens across multiple projects and databases, all postgresql. These projects worked fine for weeks before the problem began on Thursday. Often the app also freezes when I try to quit it and then I have to force quit.

I have tried clean reinstalling my entire operating system, wiping my system drive, and clean installing Resolve. I tried 16.2.6, 16.2.5, 16.2.4, and 16.2.3. I tried creating a new database and importing a DRP of the project into it. This gave me a longer time before the freeze but the problem came back nonetheless. I've tried relinking the project to a copy of the media on another hard drive.

MacOS 10.14.6 (Mojave) with ******* intel graphics.

I needed this project to be done on Thursday and I need help. Anyone have any ideas?
Resolve 17 Studio
MacBook Pro 2021 M1 Max, 10-core CPU 24-core GPU
32GB RAM
Internal 4TB NVME SSD

Roen Davis

Re: Timeline Playback and Scrubbing Freezes, App useless

PostSun Aug 30, 2020 8:30 am

You need more solid hardware.
to the deaf person the dancer appears mad

Chris_Colton

PostSun Aug 30, 2020 2:59 pm

Roen Davis wrote:You need more solid hardware.

Yeah I'm assuming it's hardware. I just tried wiping the OS again and only installing resolve, literally nothing else not even chrome or spotify, and the issue persisted
Resolve 17 Studio
32GB RAM
Internal 4TB NVME SSD

Wouter Bouwens

PostSun Aug 30, 2020 3:14 pm

Apart from the hardware, working of a usb externat hdd is a major bottleneck as well.
CPU: Intel Core I9 10850K
GPU: MSI Suprim X Geforce 3080
Motherboard: MSI Z590-A Pro
RAM: 32 GB Gskil Ripjaws 3600
SSD: Samsung EVO 970 M.2 NVME 1TB

Chris_Colton

PostSun Aug 30, 2020 3:25 pm

Wouter Bouwens wrote:Apart from the hardware, working of a usb externat hdd is a major bottleneck as well.

It's worked fine at 450 MB/s for two straight years previous to this issue
Resolve 17 Studio
32GB RAM
Internal 4TB NVME SSD

Jim Simon

PostSun Aug 30, 2020 3:25 pm

You really need to build yourself a desktop if you're serious about editing.

https://www.newegg.com/
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Chris_Colton

PostMon Aug 31, 2020 1:22 am

Jim Simon wrote:You really need to build yourself a desktop if you're serious about editing.

https://www.newegg.com/

I've been editing full time for 7 years so I feel that's at least somewhat serious. And that's the plan once the budget is available but until then I'm making due with the resources my company has given me.
Resolve 17 Studio
32GB RAM
Internal 4TB NVME SSD

Andy Mees

PostMon Aug 31, 2020 3:00 am

Chris_Colton wrote:Within a minute or so, whatever frame is in the viewers freezes there. Scrubbing doesn't update the viewer, and hitting any playback control does nothing. Happens across multiple projects and databases...

I'd be inclined to suspect your Intel Iris Pro graphics chip is at fault... possibly starting to show its age when it finds itself pushed too hard. Could maybe try to manually switch your GPU processing mode (in DaVinci Resolve preferences > Memory and GPU), if it's the problem then maybe one or other of the processing modes will fail more gracefully. If you cant find a processing mode that alleviates the problem then you could also maybe try to drop the timeline resolution that you're working at, so you're not pushing it quite so hard. Either way, you definitely need to push the powers that be to look at providing you with more suitable hardware.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

Chris_Colton

PostMon Aug 31, 2020 3:30 am

Andy Mees wrote:
Chris_Colton wrote:Within a minute or so, whatever frame is in the viewers freezes there. Scrubbing doesn't update the viewer, and hitting any playback control does nothing. Happens across multiple projects and databases...

I'd be inclined to suspect your Intel Iris Pro graphics chip is at fault... possibly starting to show its age when it finds itself pushed too hard. Could maybe try to manually switch your GPU processing mode (in DaVinci Resolve preferences > Memory and GPU), if it's the problem then maybe one or other of the processing modes will fail more gracefully. If you cant find a processing mode that alleviates the problem then you could also maybe try to drop the timeline resolution that you're working at, so you're not pushing it quite so hard. Either way, you definitely need to push the powers that be to look at providing you with more suitable hardware.

Definitely need more suitable hardware! I did try auto, OpenCL, and Metal modes, as well as each of the different proxy resolutions and the problem persisted. No frames displayed after the first couple minutes Resolve is open (max)
Resolve 17 Studio
32GB RAM
Internal 4TB NVME SSD

Andy Mees

PostMon Aug 31, 2020 4:02 am

Yep, but regardless of your source media, try dropping your Project Settings > Master Settings > Timeline resolution ... those working with 4K media will often do so in an HD resolution timeline to reduce the load on otherwise inadequate graphics processing hardware ... I'm thinking you might be able to circumvent the current problems you're facing by doing similar. Eg If you are working with full HD media you could try dropping your timeline resolution to a 1280 preset or even an SD 16:9 preset. Might be worth a try.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

Deryk Eynon

PostSat Mar 05, 2022 7:17 pm

I don't know if this thread is active anymore, but I was having this problem and I think I figured it out!! I was working along fine and all of the sudden my previewer scrubbing stopped working and I went on a search... Nothing. I looked in my settings... Nothing. So I poked around in the window drop-downs and low and behold I found the "Live Media Preview" in the 3-dot menu and VOILA!! We're back in business. Hope this helps someone else...

Deryk
Resolve 17.1., 2016 MBP 2.7 i7, 500GB SSD, 16GB memory, Intel HD 530, Radeon 580 eGPU

jho288

PostSun Jun 04, 2023 6:22 am

I'm having the same issue now. Can't work on the project anymore.
Intel i9 7980XE 18 Core 2.6GHz OC 4.2GHz | 128GB DDR4 3000MHz G.Skill | Asus Strix 1080ti x 2 | 6 x 10TB Seagate IRONWOLF PRO | Samsung 980 Pro NVME M.2 1TB on Windows 11 | MSI Aero PCIe x4 M.2 Adapter with 3 Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVME 1TB Raid Mode|

jho288

PostSun Jun 04, 2023 6:47 am

hmmm just a work around it's suddenly helping me to at least start editing a bit (still timeline freezes or black video during playback and no audio).

I opened the main project that had issues. While having Dynamic Project Switching on, I opened up a new project, imported media, created a new timeline, loaded up 1 clip.

Then switched back to the Project with issues, and suddenly the footage on timeline started playing again. As I type this I am not sure how long this will last but I'm going to keep editing for now.

Have an i9 18 Core and 2x1080Ti's with plenty of watercooling.
Davinci Resolve 18, Windows 11
Intel i9 7980XE 18 Core 2.6GHz OC 4.2GHz | 128GB DDR4 3000MHz G.Skill | Asus Strix 1080ti x 2 | 6 x 10TB Seagate IRONWOLF PRO | Samsung 980 Pro NVME M.2 1TB on Windows 11 | MSI Aero PCIe x4 M.2 Adapter with 3 Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVME 1TB Raid Mode|

jho288

PostMon Jun 12, 2023 3:15 am

jho288 wrote:hmmm just a work around it's suddenly helping me to at least start editing a bit (still timeline freezes or black video during playback and no audio).

I opened the main project that had issues. While having Dynamic Project Switching on, I opened up a new project, imported media, created a new timeline, loaded up 1 clip.

Then switched back to the Project with issues, and suddenly the footage on timeline started playing again. As I type this I am not sure how long this will last but I'm going to keep editing for now.

Have an i9 18 Core and 2x1080Ti's with plenty of watercooling.
Davinci Resolve 18, Windows 11

I am as of today getting smooth playback again, Smart Render Cache on and flawless exports.
It was apparent to me that my hardware was at play. For me personally it was the cooling. A water clog in my water cooling loop had affected the temperatures and wasn't able to play or export timelines properly. This may not be your issue but it certainly fixed mine.

Cleaned up all my water loop blocks (especially CPU block). Temps all back down to 45degrees C and suddenly Davinci working again.

jho288

PostFri Aug 11, 2023 12:04 am

Swapped out the g.skill RAM for Corsairs dominators. Realizing that my g.skill ram were mixed versions so was crashing the pc alot.

After using Corsairs Dominators, everything worked fine.

Return to DaVinci Resolve