Corner Pin / Free Transform Without Using Fusion?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

herein2020

Corner Pin / Free Transform Without Using Fusion?

PostSun Sep 13, 2020 8:59 pm

I am trying to add a Picture-in-Picture overlay to a video but I need to free transform it; in other words I need it to match the perspective of a specific picture frame in the underlying video. To do that I need to be able to free transform all four corners to align them with the picture frame in the lower underlying layer is there no way to do this from the Edit Page?

I know I can easily do this in Fusion, simply use the Corner Pin FX, but Fusion has major performance issues and this is for segments of a talk show that is 30min long each. I want to overlay different b-roll into the picture frame of the A-roll then show the shows logo in the picture frame for minutes at a time. So obviously I do not want 30min of A-roll as a fusion composition.

I thought there would be some simple keyboard combination to unlock the four corners of the transform tool in the Inspector but its starting to look like this is not the case. So is there no way to do this in DR from the Edit page?
DR: 18.6.4 BUILD 19 Studio
CPU: Core i9-13900K 24 Cores@3.0GHz, 128GB of RAM
GPU: RTX 4080
Drives: NVME OS Drive, NVME RAID Array, NVME Cache Drive
Project Media: H.265 10 Bit 4:2:2 | Canon XF-AVC | Cinema Raw LT

Sam Steti

Re: Corner Pin / Free Transform Without Using Fusion?

PostMon Sep 14, 2020 8:18 am

I don't really understand the whole goal (unlocking corners ?), but it looks like you could achieve this with a combination of tracking and keyframes in the color tab... But I may have missed something...
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Hendrik Proosa

PostMon Sep 14, 2020 8:27 am

Sam Steti wrote:I don't really understand the whole goal (unlocking corners ?), but it looks like you could achieve this with a combination of tracking and keyframes in the color tab... But I may have missed something...

Corner pin means you can move each corner separately, which you can’t do with regulal transform tool. Regular 2d transform can’t produce perspective corrected transformations.
I do stuff

Sam Steti

PostMon Sep 14, 2020 10:20 am

Ah ok... Yes, I know corner pins need "free" corners, but actually I'm wondering why insisting on using corner pins here, while pasting a tracker data and/or adjusting with KF would make it...
BTW, I think I'd take a chance to use quite an obsolete way involving the legacy tracker, by tracking the most relevant part of the track 1 video, copy/paste its data on the track 2 video with "-100" in its parameters for it to stick accordingly.

Hendrik Proosa

PostMon Sep 14, 2020 12:28 pm

How do you create a perspective warp without corner pin? Simply tracking or sticking doesn’t do it.
I do stuff

Dermot Shane

PostMon Sep 14, 2020 3:21 pm

i'd use the "corner pin" OFX in the color page, but i don't edit in Resolve, so no idea if and how it would work in the edit page as an OFX

in the color page it's simple and reliable, does the job

Sam Steti

PostMon Sep 14, 2020 4:17 pm

Hendrik Proosa wrote:How do you create a perspective warp without corner pin? Simply tracking or sticking doesn’t do it.

Didn't get there were so much perspective...
If I'm asked not to use Fusion (in which I'd use a DVE node or a planar tracker), I'd do it in Mocha :D

Gary Hango

PostMon Sep 14, 2020 8:59 pm

Frédéric Devernay has an OFX plugin (openfx-misc) of effects that are included with Natron that you can install in Resolve. It includes a corner pin transform effect. They are not GPU accelerated but you can cache the effect.

Go here to download Install.zip https //ci.appveyor.com/project/NatronGitHub/openfx-misc/build/artifacts
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700, 3.40GHz, 32.0 GB
MB: MSI, BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. A.60, 12/17/2015
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960, 2Gb
Resolve 18.1.1.0007(Free)

herein2020

PostMon Sep 14, 2020 9:30 pm

Sam Steti wrote:
Hendrik Proosa wrote:How do you create a perspective warp without corner pin? Simply tracking or sticking doesn’t do it.

Didn't get there were so much perspective...
If I'm asked not to use Fusion (in which I'd use a DVE node or a planar tracker), I'd do it in Mocha :D

The frame where I need to add the PIP effect needs each corner to be shifted on the X and Y axis independent of the other corners. In PhotoShop this is called Distort or Free Transform, in Fusion you just use the Corner Positioner (CPn). For my situation I do not need a tracker because all of the cameras were on static tripods so the picture frame where I want to add the overlay did not move throughout the talk show.

I want to easily add in different clips with each corner pinned to the exact same location as the last clip and I don't want to create a 20min Fusion Composition for the A-Roll, especially with all of the audio tracks, color grading, b-roll etc. My experience with the Fusion page so far is that all things Fusion are very slow, buggy, and take forever to cache when you go back to the Edit page so there is no way I could deal with that in this project.

I may have to go the painful route and take a screenshot of the scene then go into PhotoShop and create static images with the proper perspective then overlay them instead of video clips.

Dermot Shane wrote:i'd use the "corner pin" OFX in the color page, but i don't edit in Resolve, so no idea if and how it would work in the edit page as an OFX

Where is the corner pin OFX located? I looked through the Color Page but do not see anything with corner pinning capabilities. The Power Window in the Color page lets me do exactly what I want to do (move each corner independently) but it's just a mask, it does not control the sizing of the actual video clip.

Peter Cave

PostTue Sep 15, 2020 12:57 am

Dermot Shane wrote:i'd use the "corner pin" OFX in the color page, but i don't edit in Resolve, so no idea if and how it would work in the edit page as an OFX

Can you demonstrate how you simply use a plugin that does not exist in Resolve?
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Dermot Shane

PostTue Sep 15, 2020 2:23 am

color page:

match move OFX
show controls for: positioning
output: positioning refrence
canvas options: corners

bingo!

ignore the tracking and compostiing, just use the corner pin if that's all you need, random youtube "tutorial" on it, seems to cover what you need to know

can't find it in the timeline OFX, only color page

Gary Hango

PostTue Sep 15, 2020 1:37 pm

Just download and install the plugin I referenced above. You’ll have a corner pin effect along with a bunch more. Drag the effect to a clip on the timeline, turn on the OFX screen controls and move the corners where you want. It’s that simple, though I’m really surprised that Resolve doesn’t include this natively.

PS. Don’t install the CImage plugin included in the zip file.
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700, 3.40GHz, 32.0 GB
MB: MSI, BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. A.60, 12/17/2015
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960, 2Gb
Resolve 18.1.1.0007(Free)

herein2020

PostTue Sep 15, 2020 4:22 pm

Dermot Shane wrote:color page:

match move OFX
show controls for: positioning
output: positioning refrence
canvas options: corners

can't find it in the timeline OFX, only color page

Thanks Dermot, I will play with this a bit, if it doesn't work well then I'll go with Gary's suggestion.

Gary Hango wrote:Just download and install the plugin I referenced above. You’ll have a corner pin effect along with a bunch more. Drag the effect to a clip on the timeline, turn on the OFX screen controls and move the corners where you want. It’s that simple, though I’m really surprised that Resolve doesn’t include this natively.

PS. Don’t install the CImage plugin included in the zip file.

Thanks Gary, I will try that, I don't like using non DR native plugins if I can help it so if the OFX match move trick does not work for me I will try your suggestion.

BartReynaard

PostFri Jul 23, 2021 1:06 pm

Please here in attachment the way
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-07-23 150515.png
Skew/Perpsct./Size
Screenshot 2021-07-23 150515.png (121 KiB) Viewed 5275 times
Bart
________
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.6 on Windows 11 Pro 23H2

Prod. Machine: Ryzen 7 64GB 3.54 GHz
Video: MSI GeForce 4060Ti 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x1440 widescreen, 2 x 1920 x 1080 16:9