Keyframe Bugs in Edit Page when trying to transform

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Cliff Louiswelle

Keyframe Bugs in Edit Page when trying to transform

PostThu Sep 17, 2020 10:08 pm

I'm pretty new to posting here, so let me know if I'm doing anything wrong. I have a project in which I need to animate zoom and position in post, and I'm most familiar with doing this in the edit tab. However, especially in the last few updates, I've been experiencing some issues with it, and I'm curious as to whether any fellow users have had a similar issue.

The Gist: When animating position in the Edit tab, keyframes sometimes shift to either one frame before or one frame after its apparent position.

The Issues

1. Keyframe shifts when animating from the inspector

The first is one that occurs seemingly at random. I'd set the first keyframe of a move for position, and it'll work just fine-- the diamond turns red, and the keyframe is set on the current frame. However, when I click the diamond to set the next keyframe, I'd notice the frame "jump" before I even touch the position sliders. As it turns out, it's setting a keyframe, and then shifting said keyframe with all its transform data onto the next frame from the one I'm currently on.

I can tell this is the case, because when I go to the frame with the keyframe (indicated by the white diamond turning red, and by the clip's dope sheet), and then advance one frame, the next frame is the actual point at which the move reaches its endpoint. This can also be confirmed by clicking on the transform icon on the bottom left of the viewport.

Now, a simple workaround might be to click on the keyframe icon on the bottom right of the clip in the timeline to open up the dope sheet so I can drag it a frame back to compensate. But then a new problem arises. It just...won't let me. I can click and drag all I want, and I get no response from the program. So, I have to make a new keyframe before my current one, copy and paste all the data to it, and delete the misaligned one.

2. The free transform tool doesn't really work

The next issue is very similar, and has to do with the free transform tool, which ideally allows one to click and drag the frame's position rather than use the sliders. However, it takes the keyframe and the position I want on the current frame, and shifts it one frame back. I've also noticed that sometimes after using this tool, I meet the first issue I mentioned, and/or the dope sheet becomes visually misaligned, but I can't definitively prove that one triggers the other, as it seems to be kind of a roll of a dice

2a.
Another problem I've run into with this tool, albeit only a couple times, is that after setting a keyframe with it without any issues, upon trying to set the next keyframe, clicking and dragging seems to have no effect at all on the position, even though the line and dot graph indicates where the anchorpoint should be. This might just be my computer, but I figured I'd mention it.

Indication of "shifting"

Both of these issues are indicated by the line-and-dot graph that appears when clicking the transform icon, which can be found on the bottom left of the viewport. When the transform keyframes are working properly, the lines appear red with blue dots indicating where the anchor point is located on each frame in between the keyframes. However, when this "shifting" occurs, the current frame, on which the changes and keyframe are supposed to be set, is shown one frame before the endpoint, and the line appears as a solid red without the blue dots.

Resolve transform issue2.jpg
Resolve transform issue2.jpg (291.69 KiB) Viewed 2440 times

System Information:
MODEL: Dell Inspiron 7577
CPU: Intel core i7-7700HQ
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 (Max-Q) w/ Studio Driver v452.06
RESOLVE VERSION: 16.2.7.008 (studio)

Jim Simon

Re: Keyframe Bugs in Edit Page when trying to transform

PostFri Sep 18, 2020 2:41 pm

Cliff Louiswelle wrote:let me know if I'm doing anything wrong.

I don't say that it's wrong, but whenever I see a novel posted, I tend to pass.

Not that I'm any kind of genius at resolving Resolve issues, but it's one less pair of eyes.

Brevity and proper terminology are very helpful.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Rick van den Berg

PostFri Sep 18, 2020 5:26 pm

There is nothing wrong with your post. In fact, you explained things very well. The thing that is wrong, is that these issues have been discussed many many times here, and that we got used to them.

nowhere87

PostWed Mar 10, 2021 1:54 am

I know this is an old post but it's the only thing I can find here that describes the exact issue I am having. Did you find a solution to the transform occurring on the wrong frame? Please reply if you did!

Ian Crane @SparkyS2k

PostSat Oct 09, 2021 10:25 pm

I'm having the same issue. It is really frustrating when I put a lot of effort into animating something to match the audio, for example, and can't make a timing adjustment after the fact without losing my curves. :cry:

nowhere87

PostSat Oct 23, 2021 7:57 pm

Ian Crane @SparkyS2k wrote:I'm having the same issue. It is really frustrating when I put a lot of effort into animating something to match the audio, for example, and can't make a timing adjustment after the fact without losing my curves. :cry:

I am sorry you are experiencing the same issue. For me, I was never able to fix my project after this happened---I think it had something to do with me organizing and then relinking my media but I'm not sure.

I do not get this issue in new projects I create, so at least there's that.

TheBloke

PostSat Oct 23, 2021 8:44 pm

17.4 introduced some long-awaited fixes for position keyframing on Edit, so anyone still having issues might want to re-test in 17.4.
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

RalphBrown

PostTue Nov 02, 2021 8:36 pm

I'm on 17.4 build 4.

I can't get copy and paste to work at all for keyframes in the Edit tab. I'm attempting to do it with X and Y position and rotation. With the X keyframes visible, I select one or more keyframes, type Ctrl C, then move the cursor to a different position in the same or a different clip and type Ctrl V and nothing happens at all.

If I use Alt drag, it does copy the keyframes.

I've tried selection with click and selection box and both the Edit menu commands and keyboard shortcuts and nothing works. It seems to be doing nothing at all.

Also, I'd like to be able to select all the different Transform keyframes at once, i.e. Zoom, Position, Rotation, etc. I can only see one of the sets of keyframes at a time, e.g. Y position. There are colored lines showing for the others, X position and rotation, but the keyframes are only shown if I click on the line or select it in the drop down. I'd like to see all at once so I can select coordinated sets.

Also, the dropdown to select exactly which parameter to show keyframes for isn't always visible depending on the timeline zoom. My clip is about 27 sec long but if I have the timeline zoomed out to over about 2 minutes in the window, the drop down isn't visible. It seems like it vanishes completely if the length of the label would overlap the keyframe ease in/out buttons. IMHO that's not a very user friendly UI design. At least show the dropdown arrow button.
Dell Precision, Windows 10 Pro auto update, Intel i7-10700K, 64 GB, AMD Radeon VII, Bluetooth Soundcore Q20 headphones, 1 TB SSD, 16 TB hard drives.
Davinci Resolve Studio

Return to DaVinci Resolve