Advanced Video Stabilization

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

JFrack

Advanced Video Stabilization

PostFri Sep 18, 2020 4:19 am

Hey Everyone!

I'm trying to stabilize a long oner. I have a couple questions:

1. Is there an elegant way I can delete (or temporarily bypass) tracking?

> There are a couple moments where the tracker goes absolutely insane because it attaches onto a moving subject. My thought was to temporarily bypass the track for these short moments. The only way I could figure out how to do this was by selecting that portion on the tracking chart and deleting it. This does bypass tracking, but it causes the video to jump back to it's original position.

2. Is there a way to keyframe the 'strong'/'smooth' parameters? This would probably do the trick.

I did try using interactive mode to delete points from my point cloud, but this also seemed to create some insane camera motions.

3. Any other generally helpful tricks to help with this situation? I couldn't find to much information online beyond some of the more obvious applications of the stabilizer.

George Deierling

Re: Advanced Video Stabilization

PostFri Sep 18, 2020 6:24 am

There is the classic stabilizer, you can mask areas you don't want to track, or manually define tracking points.

Another option is to use the Planar Tracker in the Fusion tab. It will take a bit of research on how to use it, but gives you more control.

JFrack

PostFri Sep 18, 2020 6:23 pm

Ah, I didn't know about the planar tracker.

I tried the 'interactive mode' in the classic stabilizer to remove points, but it also creates weird artifacts. I think what I'm trying to do with this specific shot might be a little too optimistic.

Keyframing the strength of the stabilizer would definitely do the trick.

Igor Riđanović

PostFri Sep 18, 2020 10:10 pm

The point tracker in Fusion is much slower than the Color page tracker and it may not even be as good, but the curves in Fusion are infinitely more editable than anything you can do in the Color page.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

Return to DaVinci Resolve