Resolve update massive failure.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

ZeroPrime

Resolve update massive failure.

PostWed Sep 23, 2020 3:13 pm

I was using DR 15 which i got with my black magic pocket 4k and was mid project on several things, i upgraded to DR 16.2.5 as i wanted the new Re-709 A feature for my outputted video however upon loading resolve now it asked to upgrade the database which went fine. Then when i try to open a project it states "you have reached you limit on what you can do with resolve and now you must buy DR16"

When i try to open a previous project I am greeted by an error saying "error cannot open" meaning no projects will open. Some do though which is odd, but most won't. What a stupid thing I've done here, i don't know how to revert back but i wish i could, boy do i! do i now need to buy resolve 16 to make this work? or should i download the very latest release of resolve? i feel i am being held to ransom here!

I am just bereft, i have NO idea what to do now. please help.

Jim Simon

Re: Resolve update massive failure.

PostWed Sep 23, 2020 3:29 pm

You mistakenly updated to the Free version, not Studio.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

ZeroPrime

PostWed Sep 23, 2020 3:34 pm

Jim Simon wrote:You mistakenly updated to the Free version, not Studio.

Ah i see. What can i do now then? is it still possible for me to get the studio version? i have upgraded the database etc, im worried ive lost work :(

Jim Simon

PostWed Sep 23, 2020 3:37 pm

Yeah, you can just install the Studio version.

Always back up active databases and projects before an upgrade, though.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

ZeroPrime

PostWed Sep 23, 2020 3:40 pm

Jim Simon wrote:Yeah, you can just install the Studio version.

Always back up active databases and projects before an upgrade, though.

Great to hear. Where would i get the studio version? i was sure i downloaded the studio one previously, but i dont recall where i got it tbh!

Jim Simon

PostWed Sep 23, 2020 3:42 pm

My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

ZeroPrime

PostWed Sep 23, 2020 3:59 pm

Jim Simon wrote:https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/family/davinci-resolve-and-fusion

Thanks! i got the studio one, i actually checked it hah! though will it just work if i install over the free version i have now?

Jim Simon

PostWed Sep 23, 2020 4:00 pm

On Windows? No. You'll need to uninstall Free first.

On Mac or Linux, I don't know.
Last edited by Jim Simon on Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

ZeroPrime

PostWed Sep 23, 2020 4:14 pm

Jim Simon wrote:On Windows? No. You'll need to uninstall Free first.

Om Mac or Linux, I don't know.

im on mac currently

Jim Simon

PostWed Sep 23, 2020 4:15 pm

My condolences. :(
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

ZeroPrime

PostWed Sep 23, 2020 5:40 pm

Jim Simon wrote:My condolences. :(

'Condolences' what for? using a mac?

jamedia

PostWed Sep 23, 2020 8:39 pm

ZeroPrime wrote:

Well your Mac hardware is about to become obsolete.
www.JAmedia.uk
[AMD Ryzen 5950X 16 Core CPU | 128GB Ram | NVIDIA 3080TI 12GB ]
[MB ASUS ProArt B550| C Drive:; 1TB M2 980 Pro | D Drive; 2TB M2 970 EVO ]
[ Win 11 home |Resolve Studio V18.6 | Speed Editor via USB | Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen| ]

Berlin

PostWed Sep 23, 2020 9:38 pm

jamedia wrote:
ZeroPrime wrote:

Well, we will all become absolete at some point. For the time being I will happily use my 2020 Mac hardware to work on more projects.

What was the question?
Macbook Pro 16" i7 - DaVinci Resolve Studio 17, After Effects, Motion

jamedia

PostThu Sep 24, 2020 9:01 am

Berlin wrote:
jamedia wrote:
ZeroPrime wrote:'Condolences' what for? using a mac?

Well, we will all become absolete at some point. For the time being I will happily use my 2020 Mac hardware to work on more projects.

What was the question?

You can put your head in the sand if you like but next year Apple is changing to ARM CPU's. Soon the updates for Apple software will only run on the latest Mac-OS and that OS won't run on your hardware.
Just as they did when they went from PPC to Intel there will be support for your software for a year or two but after that if you want program updates you will have to change hardware (again) and buy all new computers. I did that last time. I am not doing it again.

I am holding on to my 2012 Mac Pro and MacBook Pro's but changing to PC for ongoing work. Half the cost and double the performance and we can update/replace hardware ourselves with user changeable parts.

Apple is targeting the IoT market with the iPhone/Pad/Mac. The new Mac Pro is not worth it unless you are spending a LOT on the high end ones. So that is a far smaller Mac Pro market than before. Especially as many did not go for the Trash Can Pro and have already "defected" to PC platforms.

How long Apple seriously supports the pro media market is a moot point.
www.JAmedia.uk
[ Win 11 home |Resolve Studio V18.6 | Speed Editor via USB | Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen| ]

TheBloke

PostThu Sep 24, 2020 10:56 am

macOS apps will continue to run on x64-based hardware for at least 5 years, and it may well be longer. They'll be cross-compiled to support both ARM and x64 simultaneously.

Five years is how long it took for support for PPC Macs to be dropped completely when Apple switched to Intel. But five years was a long time back in the mid 2000s, when Moore's law was still in effect and clock speeds and processor features were still improving rapidly, and multiple cores had only just been introduced. Nowadays hardware can remain viable for a lot longer, and Apple have declared a longer timeframe than they did last time.

Apple will of course want to encourage the switch as much as possible. But with some customers spending up to $50,000 on the new Mac Pro released only a year ago - and which will still be on sale for months or even years to come - they're not going to be able to call it unsupported for quite a while yet.

The earliest possible date for support to end will be three years from the day they sell their last Intel Mac, given that that is the period they offer in their AppleCare+ extended warranty.

Apple have said that there are new Intel Macs still planned for release, and that the transition to selling only ARM will take two years. My guess is we'll see new Intel Macs throughout 2021, and they'll stop selling them mid 2022. Which would mean the earliest they could stop supporting them would be mid-2025, and more likely they'll be supported until sometime in 2026. 2027 is likely to be the year when they're finally obsolete; or at least, no longer capable of running the latest OS and software.
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

jamedia

PostThu Sep 24, 2020 11:17 am

TheBloke wrote:Apple will of course want to encourage the switch as much as possible. But with some customers spending up to $50,000 on the new Mac Pro released only a year ago - and which will still be on sale for months or even years to come - they're not going to be able to call it unsupported for quite a while yet.

I was wondering about that myself. You would hope they will support the users of the $50K Pro's for a good while yet. However that is a VERY small and specific market. Apple may (should?) offer them different support to the rest.

What are the sales of the Mac Pro like? I know a lot of commentators have said the entry/mid level ones are expensive for what the are and you can get "double the performance for half the price" using a PC. Most of the SW that Pro users want also being available on Windows. The only place it made sense was the very high end/expensive Pro's which is a very small market. Certainly compared to previous Pro markets.
www.JAmedia.uk

Berlin

PostThu Sep 24, 2020 12:01 pm

jamedia wrote:Soon the updates for Apple software will only run on the latest Mac-OS and that OS won't run on your hardware.
Just as they did when they went from PPC to Intel there will be support for your software for a year or two but after that if you want program updates you will have to change hardware (again)

Your memory may be tricking you. The move to intel was announced in 2005 and the last OS version for PowerPC came out in 2009. Support services were offered even longer.

Also you can always go the Windows route with Apples' intel hardware. I am not a Windows expert but I believe the 2025 versions of Apples' hardware drivers that come with bootcamp will last you a few more years of Windows updates?
Macbook Pro 16" i7 - DaVinci Resolve Studio 17, After Effects, Motion

TheBloke

PostThu Sep 24, 2020 12:04 pm

jamedia wrote:I know a lot of commentators have said the entry/mid level ones are expensive for what the are and you can get "double the performance for half the price" using a PC.
Double the performance for half the price is an exaggeration. The same performance for half the price is more like it I would say :)

Apple hardware has always had huge mark-ups. That's why I run a Hackintosh: I consider macOS to be far and away the best OS for my needs, but I don't feel the need to pay Apple's inflated hardware prices. So I get what I consider to be the best of both worlds, and run macOS on standard PC hardware. There can be quite a lot of extra work involved, especially when you try to continue running old hardware as I have been doing. But I'm a techie and for me it's worth it. I'm finally buying a new PC soon and am getting hardware to rival a (low-end) Mac Pro and it will indeed be half the price, if not less.

No idea what the sales of the Mac Pro are like. At those prices it's of course not going to sell in the millions. But I can see a lot of Mac-using businesses going for one; there's certainly a few 2019 Mac Pro users on this forum. And it does have some impressive options, like being able to run 4 x 32GB Radeon VII GPUs while still leaving a x16 and two x8 PCIe 3.0 slots free, with the option of ProRes accelerator cards and the like.

Sure, you could spec a Windows system much cheaper, and it could have more CPU power (the Mac Pro is single CPU, up to 28 cores). But the 4 x 32GB GPUs is pretty impressive and I think can't be beaten in VRAM terms even by the new NVidia 3090, which wasn't released when the Mac Pro came out. Likewise I'm assuming the ProRes card is macOS only (no idea if there's an equivalent card for DNxHD or whatever). And soon the AMD Big Navi cards will be available, which if the rumours are true will rival the new NVidia Ampere cards. Presumably they will get a Pro version for Apple which therefore might sport 40 or 48GB VRAM per GPU, at least if the current practice of the Pro version doubling the consumer card's VRAM can hold.

So yes I'd say Apple did a good job with the Mac Pro 2019. If I won the lottery I'd buy one - something I certainly wouldn't have done with the 2013 Mac Pro, lottery win or no lottery win. But back in the real world, I'll stick with making and running a Hackintosh until they won't run the latest software any more, at which point I suppose I will sadly have to slum it over in Windows with a Linux VM, or WSL.
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

davo_me

PostThu Sep 24, 2020 12:09 pm

jamedia wrote:
TheBloke wrote:Apple will of course want to encourage the switch as much as possible. But with some customers spending up to $50,000 on the new Mac Pro released only a year ago - and which will still be on sale for months or even years to come - they're not going to be able to call it unsupported for quite a while yet.

I was wondering about that myself. You would hope they will support the users of the $50K Pro's for a good while yet. However that is a VERY small and specific market. Apple may (should?) offer them different support to the rest.

What are the sales of the Mac Pro like? I know a lot of commentators have said the entry/mid level ones are expensive for what the are and you can get "double the performance for half the price" using a PC. Most of the SW that Pro users want also being available on Windows. The only place it made sense was the very high end/expensive Pro's which is a very small market. Certainly compared to previous Pro markets.

Chris, this is at best what is known as thread hijacking, and at worst trolling.

The OP asked a simple question about an install of Davinci Resolve. It had nothing to do with the platform they were on.

It is simply not helpful nor accurate to say that whatever Apple are planning with ARM processors will make Intel Macs obsolete. You have no idea about the use case of the people you're talking to. For many of us, to use PCs or even Hackintoshes would introduce their own new and exciting errors and issues to workflows.

jamedia

PostThu Sep 24, 2020 12:11 pm

TheBloke wrote: Double the performance for half the price is an exaggeration. The same performance for half the price is more like it I would say :)

No double the performance for half the price. The thing is you can do a same spec PC for half the price but with decent cooling you don't get the throttling on a PC or Hackintosh you get on a quiet mac.

TheBloke wrote: So yes I'd say Apple did a good job with the Mac Pro 2019. If I won the lottery I'd buy one - something I certainly wouldn't have done with the 2013 Mac Pro, lottery win or no lottery win. .

Absolutely!!
www.JAmedia.uk

jamedia

PostThu Sep 24, 2020 12:16 pm

davo_me wrote:Chris, this is at best what is known as thread hijacking, and at worst trolling.

I was responding to comments made by others about macs.
Hijacking maybe but a civil conversation about platforms is not trolling.
www.JAmedia.uk

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Sep 24, 2020 1:25 pm

Assisting others with their questions is fantastic and welcome but lets do avoid the subject matter veering from the question at hand. If you would like to discuss this or other subject matter in other places that are appropriate, you are welcome to do so.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

davo_me

PostFri Sep 25, 2020 11:06 am

jamedia wrote:
davo_me wrote:Chris, this is at best what is known as thread hijacking, and at worst trolling.

I was responding to comments made by others about macs.
Hijacking maybe but a civil conversation about platforms is not trolling.

"You can put your head in the sand if you like" is not a civil or constructive comment.

And then continuing on to unsubstantiated opinion and speculation.

As Tony said, there are places for that kind of debate.

Jim Simon

PostFri Sep 25, 2020 1:52 pm

TheBloke wrote:Double the performance for half the price is an exaggeration.

Not always.

My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostFri Sep 25, 2020 7:20 pm

ZeroPrime wrote:
Jim Simon wrote:https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/family/davinci-resolve-and-fusion

Thanks! i got the studio one, i actually checked it hah! though will it just work if i install over the free version i have now?

where you able to solve your issue?
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Return to DaVinci Resolve