.MOV Files not loading

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Laksh2001

.MOV Files not loading

PostThu Sep 24, 2020 2:14 pm

I was making a video and tried loading in some media files. There were some .mp4 files and some .mov files. The .mp4 files loaded in correctly but the .mov files just show that the media is offline. Even in the media tab, in the folder navigation place .mov files show midea is offline. The audio plays fine but the video won't load. Please help someone...I am new to video editing so I would appreciate if I could find some help.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: .MOV Files not loading

PostThu Sep 24, 2020 3:30 pm

Please provide more details on your system. What exact version of Resolve are you using, and is it the free or Studio version? What OS are you using?

Very likely you are using the free version and your .mov files are using a codec not supported in the free version.

If you'd like to provide a link to a sample .mov file that's not working for you, we can verify what the issue is.

New forum users may not be allowed to post URL's. If this happens to you, just put a space near the front of the URL, so the system doesn't see it as a URL.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

frost6k

PostWed Jan 20, 2021 12:22 am

I also have this same issue, i was using resolve 16 for a long time with no problems at all. windows 10 pro. reformated my PC and am now using Davinci 17 free version, and now can automatically transfer MOV files. I am recording from my iphone in 4k and it was never an issue before.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jan 20, 2021 6:02 pm

Did you reinstall the Microsoft HEVC extensions package after reformatting your PC?
Dwaine Maggart

frost6k

PostWed Jan 20, 2021 11:58 pm

No i wasnt aware that a file was needed to be download, i thought it was installed at the start when davinici was installed?, I've only ever just installed DaVinci resolve and it usually works, do i download it from Microsoft

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jan 21, 2021 12:55 am

From the Microsoft store. It costs $.99

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/hevc- ... verviewtab

I'm not guaranteeing that this will fix your particular issue. But it likely will. And it's only $.99 to try. And even if it doesn't fix your specific current issue, you'll want this for other H.265 files in the future.

Or make life really simple and buy a Resolve Studio license.
Dwaine Maggart

cuddlestorm

PostThu Dec 30, 2021 9:13 pm

Dwaine you are a lifesaver!
Booted up my new PC and couldn't figure out why Resolve wouldn't load video from .MOV files!
Installed the HEVC extension and it's right as rain!

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jan 10, 2022 6:16 pm

Interesting to see your message.

At some point last year, Microsoft had removed that package from the Microsoft Store. So I assumed it was gone forever.

Glad to see it's back and available again.
Dwaine Maggart

Return to DaVinci Resolve