[Question] Timeline behaviour audio video track

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Fanjan

[Question] Timeline behaviour audio video track

PostSun Oct 18, 2020 9:57 am

I don't know how to describe this is an elevator pitch if you will, so I include a screen recording.

When I lock an audio track, and I drag a new clip onto the timeline, why is it, and I ask why assuming it is because "you didn't uncheck {enter function description here} function in settings", why is it that the video track linked numerically is also then "locked" in a sense? A clip without audio seemingly has no issue, however a clip with audio, doesn't respond too well.

This isn't a huge issue, I just find it annoying, and as stated, possibly just due to ignorance either in software behavior, or editing workflow etiquette.

In the screen recording you will see that I try and pull the video track down into V1 however it isn't allowed. I then unlock A1 & A2, this allows me to drag the clip on to V1, however I don't want this to happen this way. I want to keep A1 & A2 locked, than simply drag the clip onto V1 and let the audio fall where it may, in this case it'll fall onto A3.

My workaround for this, and possibly better editing setup will be to put my music tracks onto A6 & A7 for example, and simply pull clips onto V1 through V5, however, IF I do need additional V tracks, I'll likely run into the same issue, only now with V6 and V7 since the locking of A6 & A7 is somehow linked.

Thank you for the advice.

P.S. This is Resolve Studio 16.2.2.012.
Attachments
ResolveEditBehaviour.zip
Short screen recording clip demonstrating visually what I'm trying to convey in words
(1023.64 KiB) Downloaded 247 times

Charles Bennett

Re: [QUESTION] Timeline behaviour audio video track

PostSun Oct 18, 2020 2:47 pm

When moving V3 down to V1 the audio would go onto A1. With A1 locked that can't happen. Unless you unlink them (the highlighted chain symbol in the tools) then you could move the video to V1 with its audio staying on A3. With them linked the video and its associated audio behave as one.
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Jim Simon

PostSun Oct 18, 2020 3:16 pm

Fanjan wrote:possibly just due to ignorance either in software behavior

BMD has given us a way to solve that below. I recommend going through the books/lessons. They're a great learning resource. ;)

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... e/training
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Sam Steti

PostMon Oct 19, 2020 1:55 pm

Hey;
Just unlink the clips, which basically means you can move A and V independently... You can do this as Charles wrote or right click any clip and go down below to untick "link clips"
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Return to DaVinci Resolve