iPhone Slow Motion Workflow

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Matthew Lumb

iPhone Slow Motion Workflow

PostWed Nov 04, 2020 11:43 am

Hello - does anyone have a solid workflow for getting 120/240fps video from an iPhone into Resolve? I know this is mostly an Apple question, but hoping someone's got a solution. I've tried a whole bunch of ways to transfer the clips - cable/DropBox/apps - and then be able to speed ramp, but Apple kinda prefers to keep it in its own ecosystem. The files usually come into Resolve NOT at 120fps.

Current solution is to add all the clips to iMovie, slow them down then export the full movie to an editable format for Resolve. Obviously this isn't particularly speedy or efficient.

Any tips welcomed!

Uli Plank

Re: iPhone Slow Motion Workflow

PostWed Nov 04, 2020 1:41 pm

I can import the files from my iPhone without any problem. Which version of Resolve are you using?
They even come in as 30 fps, already defined for slo-mo.

The transfer is easy too, either use AirDrop or an USB cable.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.7, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM
Sonoma 14.5 with 19b3 (sandbox)
SE, UltraStudio Monitor G3

Matthew Lumb

Re: iPhone Slow Motion Workflow

PostWed Nov 04, 2020 4:04 pm

That's part of my problem - I edit on PC so switching between iPhone and PC is a pain.

BUT! I've just found https://snapdrop.net/ which seamlessly transfers files between iPhone and PC without any of the Apple tags, i.e. a straight 240fps file. Seems super reliable too, unlike a stack of other apps I've tried.

Return to DaVinci Resolve