Infinite Exporting Times and Cannot Export

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

MonkUnit

Infinite Exporting Times and Cannot Export

PostFri Nov 06, 2020 5:37 am

I'm on Windows 10 Home 64 Bit and using Davinci Resolve 16.2.7 Free but still had this issue before I updated.
DxDiag - dropbox.com/s/1spk6gfr2m0klsj/DxDiag.txt?dl=0
Davinci Resolve Logs - dropbox.com/s/2srrrsnitgyvn2e/DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20201105-224800.zip?dl=0

In my project, all of my clips are 1080p 60FPS mp4 files. I have Text+ added above each clip as well as a slightly transparent rectangle as a Fusion clip that extends through the entire timeline. I have done all of this in previous projects and have not had issues. However, when exporting this project, regardless of whether I try to export the entire timeline or exporting just the first 5 seconds, the export ETA increases exponentially. The marker on the timeline also does not move while the ETA increases dramatically. Clicking Stop Render will stop the render but I am unable to do anything else except view the menus and scroll on the Deliver timeline, otherwise I have to quit Davinci and restart it to do anything else.

In the Render Settings, I normally use the YouTube section and set the format to mp4, so the settings are:
Resolution - 1920x1080 HD
Frame rate - 60
Format - MP4
Video Codec - H.264
Audio - Main 1 (Stereo)
Audio Codec - AAC
Data burn-in - Same as project

Even when doing Custom render, I still have an infinite render time even if I set the format to MOV instead of MP4.

EDIT: I was able to export properly after removing the text and saving it as a new project. I then opened the original project, deleted every video clip in the timeline, imported the exported vid, and left the text as they were. Doing this, I was able to export this properly as well.

Not sure why the text or clips caused issues but at least this is a slight workaround.
Davinci Resolve 16.2.7 Free
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor (12 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER

Marc Wielage

Re: Infinite Exporting Times and Cannot Export

PostSat Nov 07, 2020 2:44 am

Here's the problems I see:

1) BMD recommends only Windows 10 Pro.

2) Long-GOP H.264 files are rough for post, because the CPU takes a big performance hit while decoding them for playback. Usually, this type of format is intended more for final delivery than production or post.

3) 60FPS is very demanding and requires lots of RAM, a very powerful CPU, and powerful GPU(s) for best results.

4) rendering H.264 from H.264 can be a demanding task as well.

Coming up with a workflow that's compatible with your hardware is often a challenge. My inclination would be to convert all the H.264 material to DNxHR prior to editing and color, and see if that processes any faster or more efficiently. Some people feel that they prefer to render to a mezzanine format first, and then use 3rd-party software to make the H.264 file for online viewing. There's pros and cons either way.
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

Uli Plank

PostSat Nov 07, 2020 3:24 am

Very good suggestions, as always.
But I have one suspicion: are these files out of a camera or gameplay recordings? If the latter, check if their frame rate is constant.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.7, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM
Sonoma 14.5 with 19b3 (sandbox)
SE, UltraStudio Monitor G3

Marc Wielage

PostSat Nov 07, 2020 3:39 am

Uli Plank wrote:Very good suggestions, as always. But I have one suspicion: are these files out of a camera or gameplay recordings? If the latter, check if their frame rate is constant.

Yes, variable frame-rate could be another potential problem.

And the Text+ uses a Fusion composition, which is going to be as demanding as all the other stuff I mentioned.
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

Hendrik Proosa

PostSat Nov 07, 2020 9:30 am

60fps is 2x 30fps, so should render at roughly 1/2 speed. There is no difference between frame rates other than frame count if one does not do frame interpolation. Frame is frame, fps is just metadata, not property of image data itself. Rendering a text is not demanding processing by any measure, if some application can’t render a simple text overlay it is problem of that application not computational intensity of rasterizing text. I’m yet to see MS Word lag on rendering text on UHD screen, although text doesn’t just magically appear there too, to give a blunt example. If Fu integration in Resolve is to improve, it is time to let go of “every simple effect is very demanding” and “one needs 128GB Ram and 24GB gpu to do a gaussian blur in HD”
I do stuff

MonkUnit

PostSun Nov 08, 2020 3:11 am

All my video clips are 60fps MP4 recordings of Street Fighter V on PC using OBS.
Davinci Resolve 16.2.7 Free
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor (12 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER

Uli Plank

PostSun Nov 08, 2020 1:22 pm

That's the problem then. Check it with MediaInfo (free), but I bet you'll find variable frame rate.
I'd suggest an external hardware recorder, OBS with gameplay is of limited compatibility with Resolve.
Or transcode into a constant frame rate.

P.S. Somebody on the German forum just had the same problem. Gameplay, OBS, and Resolve somehow don't go together.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.7, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM
Sonoma 14.5 with 19b3 (sandbox)
SE, UltraStudio Monitor G3

8emil1654

PostTue Aug 22, 2023 10:39 pm

Hello, I have export issues a while now. My export crashes (after the first clips/ seconds, from round about 25 min 4k footage)/ the render time goes to infinity and I can´t do anything except for closing DaVinci. And it is with all Projekts not only in one. I had 4 4k layered, and I thought that would be the problem. But after changing that, it didn´t worked. Also my Titles and other clips and compound clips have in the deliver tab, no time (00:00:00;00), but I can´t fixed it by my self. And I thing that this has to do with the problem.

Here are the infos in a DropBox, that I think you need (without the space): 

https://ww w.dropbox.com/scl/fo/1r9egq37n8hb99r6mbxhn/h?rlkey=63fvj6aoynlnpk7vo2fpg3bl4&dl=0

Error Reads (only come sometimes): "critical exception: bad allocation"

I use DaVinci 18/ 18.5 (both has this export problem) can´t go back in version (18.5), because i edited the project in this version

I tryed so much to fix it, like I tryed to render in different formats, resolution, bit rate and so on, but nothing worked. I hope you can help me

Return to DaVinci Resolve