Before upgrading to Resolve 17...

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Tom Early

Before upgrading to Resolve 17...

PostMon Nov 09, 2020 8:02 pm

...back up your current database!

Better still, create a new database just for the Resolve 17 Beta, AND backup your old one anyway.

It looks like a great new release, but it's still a beta so anything can happen, and I've certainly seen multiple forum posts in the past about people who either had database corruption or didn't like the stability of the new software but couldn't roll back because they didn't do a backup.

Do yourselves a favour and avoid that this time around.
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

AndreasOberg

Re: Before upgrading to Resolve 17...

PostMon Nov 09, 2020 8:10 pm

I take it that it is not possible to run 16 and 17 at the same time. Always tricky since I want to beta test but I need to keep working at the same time.

Andreas
VFX Director - Visual Forest Ltd

ndlela

PostMon Nov 09, 2020 9:06 pm

What helped me in the past was installing the beta on a separate partition or only installed it on the guest or alternative log in profile only. [On a Mac]

AndreasOberg wrote:I take it that it is not possible to run 16 and 17 at the same time. Always tricky since I want to beta test but I need to keep working at the same time.

Andreas

jallen0

PostMon Nov 09, 2020 9:28 pm

AndreasOberg wrote:I take it that it is not possible to run 16 and 17 at the same time. Always tricky since I want to beta test but I need to keep working at the same time.

Andreas

It is not possible. Resolve 17 will overwrite existing Resolve installs on the same drive.
2019 MacPro OS 12.1, 3.2GHz 16 Core, 160GB Mem, 4TB Drive, 8TB Internal Sonnet Raid, Dual Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB
LG UF 5k, 27" Tbolt Display, 55" LG C8
Resolve Edit Keyboard, Mini Panel, US 4K Mini
Resolve Studio Ver. 17.4.3
Desktop Video 12.1

Andrew Toul

PostMon Nov 09, 2020 10:25 pm

Don't take it as granted , but in the past all i was doing with several apps (including resolve) was to rename the previous app before installing the new one. For example, renaming "Davinci resolve 16" to "Davinci old one 16" :D Then installing 17. But as i said before, don't try this at home if you are on a machine that you use for living.
BlackoutVFX

Sherwin Lau

PostMon Nov 09, 2020 10:35 pm

Andrew Toul wrote:Don't take it as granted , but in the past all i was doing with several apps (including resolve) was to rename the previous app before installing the new one. For example, renaming "Davinci resolve 16" to "Davinci old one 16" :D Then installing 17. But as i said before, don't try this at home if you are on a machine that you use for living.

Haha, Dwaine says no, so I'm gonna go with Dwaine.....
Last edited by Sherwin Lau on Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sherwin Lau, C.S.I.
sherwinlau.com
iMac Pro 3GHz 10-core, 64GB Ram, Vega 64
MacBook Pro M1 Max 64GB memory
MacOS 12.6

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Nov 09, 2020 11:21 pm

To all the above people suggesting that all you need to do is rename the current Resolve folder and install a different version...NO!

The Resolve user specific files (not the Application folder) are still the same. And stuff could get updated there that can break the other version.

Strongly suggest you don't do that, and don't be surprised if you have issues when you switch back to the other version if you do.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

ksilva

PostMon Nov 09, 2020 11:45 pm

Quick question. I have a license for the studio version of Davinci Resolve 16. Do I need to purchase a new license for 17 studio.

Sorry if this was answered during the announcement. I still haven't got a chance to read/watch everything.ñ

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Nov 09, 2020 11:53 pm

No. The current Resolve Studio activation codes and dongles work with Resolve 17 Studio.
Dwaine Maggart

tony@sparkworld.com

PostTue Nov 10, 2020 12:07 am

I mistakenly it seems dragged 16.2.7 to another folder (after backing up my projects) and tried to install 17 to the original Resolve folder. It tried to boot but stopped after looking like it was all good and then disappeared. I re-installed 16.2.7 and it was fine. Then I removed the copied files and tried again to install 17 but the same thing happened. Reinstalled 16.2.7, it works fine.

Installed 17 on my laptop and it worked fine.

Based on Dwaine's post below I sense that I'm screwed but would love to know how to fix my big computer to accept 17.

Any help would be welcome.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Nov 10, 2020 12:31 am

Assuming you have Resolve 16.2.7 installed on the C: drive. put it back into the state that 16.2.7 is working, then you should be able to install 17 over top of that.

Don't be moving folders or folder contents around without knowing specifically what they all do. Moving stuff could break the ability of the Windows Programs and Features panel to properly uninstall Resolve, and could also break the Resolve installer's ability to properly install.

If you really want to play games with folders, make COPIES of folders. Don't mess with the existing folders.
Dwaine Maggart

tony@sparkworld.com

PostTue Nov 10, 2020 2:19 am

Thanks for getting back to me.
First of all I'm on a Mac. What I did was make copies of the Resolve folder contents to a folder I renamed "16". It's a process I do when I update almost all my software. But now that I know that that's forbidden with Resolve I'll resist the urge to do that again.
I then tried to install 17 to the original Resolve 16 folder . It starts to open and then vanishes. I uninstalled 17 and uninstalled the copied versions of 16 and installed 16.2.7. It opened and worked perfectly. I then went ahead and re-installed 17. No go. Finally I reinstalled 16.2.7 and it works fine.
So now I hoping you can suggest another fix for my current situation. I really want to use 17 on the next project and I have this week with little going on so any thing you can suggest to get me up and running would be super appreciated.

Many thanks!

Tom Donalek

PostTue Nov 10, 2020 3:57 am

Dwaine - thank you for clearly stating that this approach can cause serious problems. I think I did it a version or two ago, and am OK as far as I know, but I appreciate you stepping in here from "behind the scenes" to let us know that it's a bad idea.

That said, this comes up with every new release. We want to try out the nifty new features you've been working super hard on. You want our feedback about where the bugs are. But... based on your current approach to how Resolve installs and updates, we can't continue to use the sable release and mess around with the beta release along side on the same system. I am certain it's a ton of work to make side-by-side installs possible, but given that you guys are doing essentially annual releases, there are several months each year where this is a significant issue.

Maybe giving us the option to do a purely isolated install of the beta where it would be impossible to merge that database back into the main stable release stream when the version goes into full release would be a good compromise?

Cyril Perrot-Botella

PostTue Nov 10, 2020 4:46 am

it would be really good to be able to install 2 versions and create 2 data base, I work with different studios and I send them the resolved projects. So I always have to be on the smaller versions to install in the studio.
Cyril Perrot-Botella C.S.I
www.cyclopephotographie.com
Ryzen threadripper 3970X 4.3GHz
Liquid Cooler EVGA CLC 360 with 3 Noctua
Gigabyte Designare TRX40
Corsair vengeance LPX-254GB-DDR4-3200MHz
ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3090 Ti 24GB
DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K

MarcusWolschon

PostTue Nov 10, 2020 8:41 am

Tom Early wrote:...back up your current database!

In a PostgreSQL server, can you just update individual project or do you need a separate DB for testing the beta features in your workflow?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Nov 10, 2020 8:44 am

You can have multiple PostgreSQL databases, same as Disk databases.

If you want a database to be available in 17, whether it's Disk or PostgreSQL, it has to be upgraded.

Please make sure to back it up before upgrading.

Or simpler perhaps, if you don't need access to the current 16 projects, is to just make a new PostgreSQL database for 17.
Dwaine Maggart

MarcusWolschon

PostTue Nov 10, 2020 8:50 am

Not me but the DB Admin of cause. Thanks.

moscheto

PostTue Nov 10, 2020 10:26 am

I'm really new to this software and I was using the 16 version. So that version won't update to the 17?

endlessblink1

PostTue Nov 10, 2020 2:11 pm

Couldn't even try workin with it. Crashing on startup :(
Off to Resolve 16 I go...

Videoteq

PostTue Nov 10, 2020 2:49 pm

Me too, won't get past loading the Cut Page, then...crash central. Win 10 build 1903. 32GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti. WD 1TB SSB for drive C. I don't have the SQL Project Server installed. Old version 16.x works fine.

Hope it's fixed soon, v17 looks great!
Resolve Studio 17. Macbook Pro Big Sur 11.0.1 Win 10 v1903

Christoffer Glans

PostTue Nov 10, 2020 3:09 pm

Major crash that crashed my entire video card (RTX2080ti).

Jim Simon

PostWed Nov 11, 2020 1:49 pm

Tom Donalek wrote:we can't continue to use the sable release and mess around with the beta release

When editing with software at this level, you should be working on a dedicated editing system.

Personal computers are a good way to test new versions.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

cine.chris

PostWed Nov 11, 2020 8:55 pm

Resolve crashed after splash screen.. like other users.
Project Sever says the database is incompatible.

Screen says: "move" database is upgradeable

Is there a suggested procedure to proceed?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Nov 11, 2020 11:12 pm

The database not being compatible did not cause the crash.

If you did not download Resolve 17 today, then download it now and install it over the existing version and see if that solves the issue.

But in regards to databases, you want to be sure you BACKUP the database, before you allow Resolve 17 to Upgrade it.
Dwaine Maggart

Jason P

PostThu Nov 12, 2020 3:37 am

I installed v17 Beta 1 today (12th Nov 2020) and so far for me, it's working okay.

I took a backup of the old v16 database as recommended - if you've done the upgrade like I did, when it asks you to update the database, you can click 'cancel' then use the 'backup database' to take a copy of what you have, then click the' update database' link again from the new v17 project manager window and it did this okay. I haven't tested the backup though, as v17 is working okay for me.

So far (Mac OSX 10.15.7) this new version is stable, and the rendering is lightning fast compared to v16 on my Macbook Pro. Much smoother so far and the new features and interface improvements are really good.

Thanks for all your hard work BlackMagic, it's going okay here.

Alexander Falk

PostThu Nov 12, 2020 7:55 am

Regarding the database upgrade, is the recommended postgresql-server still version 9.5.4?

Marc Wielage

PostThu Nov 12, 2020 10:42 am

Updating to Resolve 17 is a one-way street: you can't go back to Resolve 16 and use Resolve 17 grades or sessions.

Here are the steps I recommend for people upgrading Resolve (and this has held for several years):

1) launch Resolve and backup Project Databases using the backup utility

2) export Keyboard Shortcuts

3) export all personal PowerGrades as DPX stills + DRX grades to specific folders (and LUTs if you must)

4) jot down Project Config and User settings (in case those don't make it over)

5) jot down Data Burn-In settings

6) jot down Custom Export settings on Deliver page

7) jot down custom Power Window presets

9) backup 3rd-party/custom LUTs

10) export all custom PowerGrades (with labeled stills) to a folder

11) de-install any 3rd-party OFX plug-ins (BorisFX, Sapphire, Dehancer, Beauty Box, Filmlook, Neat Video, etc.), and have the serial numbers ready when you install the new Resolve.

12) important: backup all current in-progress sessions as DRP files "just in case."

I think it never hurts to do a complete backup of your boot drive so you could theoretically do a full restore and go back to Resolve 16 if need be. It is possible to run both versions at the same time if you had separate boot drives, Resolve 16 on one and Resolve 17 on the other, and used separate Project Databases, but the setup is tricky (and critical).

When you install Resolve 17, be aware that you may need to also update the Desktop Video driver, and you may need to update your GPU video drivers. As with any modern software, there's a chance your current hardware may not be enough to run 17. Check the documentation on Blackmagic's support website and make sure your CPU, available RAM, GPU, and drive speeds all meet their suggestion configuration specs.

@Patrick Inhofer has done several guides over the years on how to deal with Resolve upgrades over on MixingLight. Patrick goes to the extent of de-installing the current Resolve and then doing a clean install from scratch. I haven't found the need to do that, but it certainly couldn't hurt.
Last edited by Marc Wielage on Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Christoffer Glans

PostThu Nov 12, 2020 11:38 am

Why not just create a way to backup everything inside Resolve? Transitioning between Premiere versions and Avid versions are a hell of a lot easier than it is for Resolve. Why not have one backup for projects and one backup for all user settings and plugins?

tony@sparkworld.com

PostThu Nov 12, 2020 9:48 pm

Installed 17 on my Macbook pro (i9) after failing to get it to work on our main Mac Pro, which is where we do most of our main color grading. It worked flawlessly and is a great place for me to play with the new features. We'll wait for more stable version before attempting to try and get it up and running on the main computer. I seem to be in the same boat so many are here where it starts to load up then....

But...

Killer upgrade! Feels really "smooth" and works flawlessly so far on a mac book. I can't wait to fold these features into our projects. Kudos Blackmagic!

Agent83

PostFri Nov 13, 2020 8:00 pm

Tom Early wrote:...back up your current database!

Better still, create a new database just for the Resolve 17 Beta, AND backup your old one anyway.

It looks like a great new release, but it's still a beta so anything can happen, and I've certainly seen multiple forum posts in the past about people who either had database corruption or didn't like the stability of the new software but couldn't roll back because they didn't do a backup.

Do yourselves a favour and avoid that this time around.

Hi, Tom.
what you have written is normal. It irritates me a little bit. Can you guarantee that Davinci Resolve Studio 17 in its database is backwards compatible with the Davinci Resolve Studio 16 database?!

Thank you in advance.
8-12k VR production.
ASUS Maximus Z690 Formula, I9 12900K, DDR5 64GB/5200,
2xNVIDIA P6000 24GB, 84 TB Workspace

Agent83

PostFri Nov 13, 2020 8:03 pm

Christoffer Glans wrote:Why not just create a way to backup everything inside Resolve? Transitioning between Premiere versions and Avid versions are a hell of a lot easier than it is for Resolve. Why not have one backup for projects and one backup for all user settings and plugins?

Right...!
8-12k VR production.

Agent83

PostFri Nov 13, 2020 8:06 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:Updating to Resolve 17 is a one-way street: you can't go back to Resolve 16 and use Resolve 17 grades or sessions.

Hi Marc,
thank you for this most important message. This is the key information for all those who want to switch to the new realease. It only goes in one direction and not back! (...and of course with all the new bugs and problems that a new software brings. So you have to think carefully about whether you want to pay the conversion costs or whether you should wait a little longer.)

:o
Marks note:
"...I think it never hurts to do a complete backup of your boot drive so you could theoretically do a full restore and go back to Resolve 16 if need be. It is possible to run both versions at the same time if you had separate boot drives, Resolve 16 on one and Resolve 17 on the other, and used separate Project Databases, but the setup is tricky (and critical)." :lol:

He mean it's best to use a new computer to use the new release. Of course, you can't use 16 and 17 in parallel and you can't work on the same project database (horrible and not usable for the real world). For me, this is the ultimate clue that Davinci Resolve has never been used as a main product in a larger professional project. So a small studio with some seats has to switch some workstations in one fell swoop to the new version (with the experience of the last few months and the completely unstable release 16? That would be economic suicide.) !? Anyone who thinks up such a migration path and offers the customer seems to have a different market in mind than professional film studios or the professional film market. Sorry, that's absolutely problematic for me.

And... Please! read the crash reports above here in this thread.
Version 17.6 is the right version for me.
Last edited by Agent83 on Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
8-12k VR production.

Tom Early

PostSat Nov 14, 2020 2:23 am

Agent83 wrote:This is the key information for all those who want to switch to the new realease. It only goes in one direction and not back! (...and of course with all the new bugs and problems that a new software brings. So you have to think carefully about whether you want to pay the conversion costs or whether you should wait a little longer.)

Which is why I advised making a new database just for 17, you can keep your old one, or you can restore a backup of your old one, upgrade THAT, and you'll have both an upgraded database and an untouched backup which can be loaded up in Resolve 16 in roughly 60 seconds. So yes, it's perfectly possible to run both 16 and 17 on the same machine, you just won't have them open at the same time, I've tested 17 then gone back to 16 for my paid work several times, it's absolutely fine. You can do a complete backup of your whole machine if really want to, but it's overkill as far as I'm concerned and there's nothing about needing to do that in any Resolve documentation.

Agent83 wrote:For me, this is the ultimate clue that Davinci Resolve has never been used as a main product in a larger professional project.

Agent83 wrote:Anyone who thinks up such a migration path and offers the customer seems to have a different market in mind than professional film studios or the professional film market. Sorry, that's absolutely problematic for me.

Maybe you haven't watched the video at the start of the Resolve 17 presentation, or just aren't aware, but Resolve is one of the most popular finishing apps in Hollywood.

simoneventuri88

PostSat Nov 14, 2020 8:11 am

Hi everyone,

I've been naive enough to simply install resolve studio 17, upgrade the database and launch it. The software crash without any error message after selecting an existing project of the updated database. It works fine with a brand new project. I've several works going on at the moment. Any idea on how can I provide the log info to you to solve the issue?

Also, during the first install (I've now tried several times), AVG anti virus has found problems with "DPDecoder.exe" and "DaVinciPanelDaemon.exe" stating there was a theat inside IDP.Generic.

I've tried running Resolve with AVG switched off but I guess the damage was already been done.

Please let me know. It's quite urgent.
Regards.

Marc Wielage

PostSat Nov 14, 2020 8:24 am

Agent83 wrote:He mean it's best to use a new computer to use the new release. Of course, you can't use 16 and 17 in parallel and you can't work on the same project database (horrible and not usable for the real world).

Well, that's not what I said. It's always been true: using two different kinds of Resolve on the same drive will result in some conflicts, since they each want to use the same drivers, same databases, same hardware, and so on. I can tell there's a lot of software out there where you can't have an old version and a new one on the same drive at the same time, and there's a lot of good reasons for avoiding this.

For me, this is the ultimate clue that Davinci Resolve has never been used as a main product in a larger professional project.

I think that's not quite fair, because there are thousands (more like hundreds of thousands) of users all over the world, including many people employing Resolve in the highest-end professional situations you can imagine. 17 is new and it's always risky to install .0 software version in a business that depends on total reliability -- and it's even more fragile when it's a Beta release. We looked at the calendar and I have four more features and 6 episodic TV shows to deliver by the end of the year, and once those are shipped, our hope is to update to 17.x at the beginning of next year, about 6-7 weeks away.

We continue to run and test 17 on a separate machine, and it's been fine so far -- no crashes, no major issues, and I think I've conformed a half-dozen projects on it without incident. I think it's an amazing feat that the BMD team pulled off -- you have to take a step back and look at this from a wider point of view than just your personal situation.

Marc Wielage

PostSat Nov 14, 2020 8:28 am

Tom Early wrote:Which is why I advised making a new database just for 17, you can keep your old one, or you can restore a backup of your old one, upgrade THAT, and you'll have both an upgraded database and an untouched backup which can be loaded up in Resolve 16 in roughly 60 seconds. So yes, it's perfectly possible to run both 16 and 17 on the same machine, you just won't have them open at the same time, I've tested 17 then gone back to 16 for my paid work several times, it's absolutely fine. You can do a complete backup of your whole machine if really want to, but it's overkill as far as I'm concerned and there's nothing about needing to do that in any Resolve documentation.

That's true, but... I've got a couple thousand dollars' worth of plug-ins that can't bounce back and forth between 2 versions. I'm happy to wait until things settle down a little bit. Also, when we throw the big switch, we actually have to update 4 different systems to make sure that everything is on the same version, same OS, same everything.

simoneventuri88

PostSat Nov 14, 2020 8:30 am

Here's my log.

Thanks
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-112020_ 92645,13.zip
Log created with CaptureLogs Batch
(714.65 KiB) Downloaded 307 times

Agent83

PostSat Nov 14, 2020 10:29 am

Tom Early wrote:
Agent83 wrote:....

Maybe you haven't watched the video at the start of the Resolve 17 presentation, or just aren't aware, but Resolve is one of the most popular finishing apps in Hollywood.

That is not a sound statement. Who uses it in which project? Please give references. I would like to talk to one of the references. Because our costs have not decreased with the program in production.
8-12k VR production.

Agent83

PostSat Nov 14, 2020 10:35 am

Marc Wielage wrote:...
I think that's not quite fair, because there are thousands (more like hundreds of thousands) of users all over the world, including many people employing Resolve in the highest-end professional situations you can imagine. 17 is new and it's always risky to install .0 software version in a business that depends on total reliability -- and it's even more fragile when it's a Beta release. We looked at the calendar and I have four more features and 6 episodic TV shows to deliver by the end of the year, and once those are shipped, our hope is to update to 17.x at the beginning of next year, about 6-7 weeks away.

Ok, I understand and think I've judged a little bit harshly. But for a program with this claim to be the leading editing program in Hollywood, one might expect a little more consideration for the needs of production companies. It is true that we now have to wait for the official version! Then we'll look at the updates. But every bug in Davinci Resolve is cost increasing with us developers. And these have been considerable costs in the last 9 months, which have shaken the image somewhat. Therefore, for a leading program, a careful release of releases or a major release change must be carried out with great care, as well as a smart migration path to introduce to the customer. You should be able to expect that if it's the leading program in Hollywood? ;)

Marc Wielage wrote:...
That's true, but... I've got a couple thousand dollars' worth of plug-ins that can't bounce back and forth between 2 versions. I'm happy to wait until things settle down a little bit. Also, when we throw the big switch, we actually have to update 4 different systems to make sure that everything is on the same version, same OS, same everything.

That's exactly how I see it. Thanks to Marc. We will take a close look at the development of the programme. At the moment, a switch to the new version is too risky for us.
Last edited by Agent83 on Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
8-12k VR production.

Agent83

PostSat Nov 14, 2020 10:56 am

Tom Early wrote:...
Which is why I advised making a new database just for 17, you can keep your old one, or you can restore a backup of your old one, upgrade THAT, and you'll have both an upgraded database and an untouched backup which can be loaded up in Resolve 16 in roughly 60 seconds. So yes, it's perfectly possible to run both 16 and 17 on the same machine, you just won't have them open at the same time, I've tested 17 then gone back to 16 for my paid work several times, it's absolutely fine. You can do a complete backup of your whole machine if really want to, but it's overkill as far as I'm concerned and there's nothing about needing to do that in any Resolve documentation.

Hi Tom,
Thank you very much for clarifying this. That gives us hope. We will free up a single maschine and test on our machine for this. If the official release is available, we will start testing.
8-12k VR production.

Agent83

PostSat Nov 14, 2020 11:27 am

Marc Wielage wrote:... -- you have to take a step back and look at this from a wider point of view than just your personal situation.

Hi Marc,
I would like to comment again on your last sentence. I see this from the perspective you are asking for and not from our own very small point of view. Davinci Resolve Studio and Fusion Studio are divided into four rating points, such as documentation, feature offering, graphical interface and programming. The first three evaluation areas are outstanding for me in these programs! They are really leaders according to my analyses, which I have been running for over 12 months and have tested numerous programs. In the programming category, however, I see shortcomings that concern me. I managed a software company for over 10 years. From the management's point of view, each sector must generate a return. Otherwise, a deficit area will have to be closed at some point. Since BMD does not only produce software, and any area must be successful and profitable. However, I have seen many problems in the field of programming in recent months. These problems have a long-term impact in the group. This is exactly my concern if I want to get a good program as a customer in the long term. I hope you can understand me.

I'll give you an example. If a program comes onto the market without quality control, customers will report the bugs back. However, this always puts a strain on the image of a company and the image of the product. The effort a company has in processing the feedback, as well as the effort to eliminate program errors in a delivered program, is very high for a company. We have seen updates at BMD almost in the monthly cycle in recent months. These are internal costs. If a software team does not work efficiently, this cycle is created between delivery, feedback and update, with high real-world costs and measurable image costs. If an additional pressure on the developers arises due to a major release change, this high working pressure can increase the error rate of the programmers. This usually has a direct impact on the quality of the product delivered in the event of a lack of quality control.

I would like to take this opportunity to express my great compliment and respect to the programming team. I think it's fantastic what a complex and actually wonderful program has been developed here. But it must also have a long-term future. The basis for this is quality, quality, quality on all levels of development.
8-12k VR production.

MarcusWolschon

PostSat Nov 14, 2020 12:03 pm

Agent83 wrote:
Tom Early wrote:
Agent83 wrote:....

That is not a sound statement. Who uses it in which project? Please give references. I would like to talk to one of the references. Because our costs have not decreased with the program in production.

Did you ever hear about "The Walking Dead" od "Pirates of the Caribian"?

First result: (just some 2018 examples)
https://www.nexttv.com/post-type-the-wi ... 018-movies
"Avengers: Infinity War”
“Ant-man and Wasp”
“Mile 22”
“Overboard”
“Show Dogs”
“Siberia”
“Sicario: Day of the Soldado”
“Skyscraper”
“Adrift” by Stefan Sonnenfeld of Company 3;
“American Animals” by Rob Pizzey of Goldcrest for The Orchard;
“Deadpool 2” by Skip Kimball of Deluxe’s EFILM;
“Hearts Beat Loud” by Mike Howell of Color Collective;
“Juliet, Naked” by Nat Jencks of Goldcrest;
“Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom” by Adam Glasman of Goldcrest;
“A Kid Like Jake” by Nat Jencks of Goldcrest;
“Madeline’s Madeline” by Nat Jencks of Goldcrest;
“Mile 22” by Stefan Sonnenfeld of Company 3;
“The Miseducation of Cameron Post” by Nat Jencks of Goldcrest;
“On Chesil Beach” by Tom Poole of Company 3;
“Overboard” by Trent Johnson of MTI Film;
“RBG” by Ken Sirulnick of Glue Editing & Design, along with Fusion Studio for stabilizing work;
“Sicario: Day of the Soldado” by Stephen Nakamura of Company 3;
“Skyscraper” by Stefan Sonnenfeld of Company 3;
Disney Lucasfilms’ “Solo: A Star Wars Story” by Joe Gawler of Harbor Picture Company;
“Sorry to Bother You” by Sam Daley at Goldcrest;
“Sorry to Bother You” for VFX by Darren Orr of Beast;
“SuperFly” by David Hussey of Company 3.
[/list]

timberthrax

PostSun Nov 15, 2020 9:52 pm

Honestly, Blackmagic should build an automatic backup of the current database into the upgrade process. The filesizes we are talking about are usually not huge. Would probably save a lot of eager updaters.

MarcusWolschon

PostMon Nov 16, 2020 6:52 am

timberthrax wrote:Honestly, Blackmagic should build an automatic backup of the current database into the upgrade process. The filesizes we are talking about are usually not huge. Would probably save a lot of eager updaters.

Downloading the entire PostgreSQL server that is supposed to already have an automatic backup set up by the database administrator and where your db user doesn't have full access?
Not everyone works with local files.

Israel Diaz Torralba

PostMon Nov 16, 2020 7:31 pm

Hello, I have a problem, I have updated to version 17, it does not work as expected, neither the shorcuts, nor the luts, nor the assembly and to top it all the dongle is telling me that it is not the studio version.

I have tried to go back but have screwed it up with the database. at least I would like to save the power grades but it doesn't let me select all of them and export ... Anyone know what I can or how I can save the power grades.

reggards

Tom Early

PostTue Nov 17, 2020 12:04 am

Israel Diaz Torralba wrote:I would like to save the power grades but it doesn't let me select all of them and export

so you're saying that if you go into a power grade bin, select all the stills, right click, export won't come up? or it will but export fails?

Israel Diaz Torralba

PostTue Nov 17, 2020 7:39 am

Helo,

What I say is two things:

1.- If you want to export a powergrade, but you have deleted the thumbnails directory from the library it gives an error, it does not export without thumbnails

2.- If you apply that powegrade to a clip (to bypass the failure above), you save it again in the powergrade window, when you hover the mouse over it it looks bad and when you apply it it is applied badly, as there are values that have not been saved correctly

reggards

Manuel Marcuzzo

PostWed Nov 18, 2020 8:06 am

Agent83 wrote:
He mean it's best to use a new computer to use the new release. Of course, you can't use 16 and 17 in parallel and you can't work on the same project database (horrible and not usable for the real world). For me, this is the ultimate clue that Davinci Resolve has never been used as a main product in a larger professional project. So a small studio with some seats has to switch some workstations in one fell swoop to the new version (with the experience of the last few months and the completely unstable release 16? That would be economic suicide.) !? Anyone who thinks up such a migration path and offers the customer seems to have a different market in mind than professional film studios or the professional film market. Sorry, that's absolutely problematic for me.

This thread is about the beta version of a software. No one in their right minds, would even think about installing a .0 version of a program in a real work environment. I understand you had problems at your office, but not with Resolve 17, right? So this is not even the correct thread for your rantings.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Nov 18, 2020 8:24 am

Let’s keep the thread focused on the product and migration path and avoid side discussion about other aspects. Start ur own thread about those if u like.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

megapt

PostMon Nov 23, 2020 11:39 am

Can the database be fixed manually? I need to downgrade from 17 to 16 because its buggy to the point of being unable to use it, rendering crashes upon effects, have to constantly copy the entire timeline content and paste it to an empty timeline to continue working....
Next

Return to DaVinci Resolve