Compliments on Resolve 17

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

virgo47

Tooltips, yeah!

PostSat Nov 14, 2020 9:27 am

As a newcomer I appreciate more new tooltips! In Resolve 16 I noticed them on the Cut page (probably because it was new), but now they are on the Edit page as well. This helps tremendously not only with the discovery while working but also with searching for things - it's hard to search for something without a name. I know there is always the manual, but this is much better for exploratory approach. Thank you!

Chris Ross Leong

Re: Compliments on Resolve 17

PostSat Nov 14, 2020 2:58 pm

Adding my 2c to this great feedback thread!

V1 is of course buggy but the parts that do work for me, work very well! Thanks and kudos to the development team!

I must say that everything works better on SSD-based systems.

Out of frustration, I just put my OS on one SSD, the main Resolve program and components on another, and the media on a third.

A lot of the "bugs" went away, probably caused by HDD drive system delays. Playback went from jerky to smooth (with 1/8 size HD proxies, but off HDD as against full sized 2k off SSD) but some of the color and fusion effects still cause crashes (good that we have the switch-all-that-stuff-off in the record window now, otherwise I'd be dead in the water).

I've tried it with smaller projects (like commercial and sizzle reel length) and everything seems to work smoother. On my feature film, though, things are... crashing still. It's 110 minutes long and V1-8, A1-42. So probably pushing things a little here.

Anyway, looking forward to R17b2!

All the best to everyone. Stay safe and sane!

kaz911

PostSat Nov 14, 2020 11:25 pm

I will add my compliments as well.

I have not done a lot in Resolve since v 16.1 - but just did a quick / dirty "cut-page" edit from 30 min raw footage to about a minute output - and did it in record speed with zero issues - took me about 60 min despite almost forgetting the UI since I used it last. That is much better than 16.1 where it broke down 3-4 times during a 2 hour edit.

So V17 looks like a good step forward and so far quite good for a beta. And the cut page is probably something a lot of the "v-loggers" will love.

I look forward to getting my speed keys...

Peter Fleming

PostSun Nov 15, 2020 2:52 am

I would like to congratulate BMD on implementing full interlace comparability within Resolve 17.
It now handles interlace material correctly even when titles and effects are added.
There are many other features that have seen a major improvement as well, which is great and a big step forward. So thank you
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Intel Core i7 Coffee Lake @ 3.70GHz
32.0GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @ 1600MHz
Z370 AORUS Gaming 5-CF
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070
223GB Western Digital SSD
3726GB Western Digital WDC
5589GB INTEL SSDSC2BW120A4

Dermot Shane

PostMon Nov 16, 2020 12:13 pm

de interlaceing and pulldown removal is solid step forward
as are
- color space aware tools
- color warper
- Davinci color space and related color managment
- zone system
- tint and temp revisions
- mapping of zone systems tools extended to Elements and Artist Color

big update
oh,and i have not had to go to taskmangler once to shut down v17 so far - minor anoyance but appreacate it gone

Jim Simon

PostMon Nov 16, 2020 5:25 pm

Dermot Shane wrote:i have not had to go to taskmangler once to shut down v17

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=126011&p=687956&hilit=memory#p687956
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

bounceHouse

PostTue Nov 17, 2020 3:24 am

The video collage transform available on the timeline (and fusion) is nicely featured - thank you!

I build tiled "virtual gatherings" of videos that come to me at different frame rates. In v16, once I moved a group of videos into a fusion clip and started layout work in fusion, adding a video was killer, because I would have to deal with its relative frame rate when dragging it to Fusion from the media pool (whereas Resolve handled the rate for any videos that came in from the timeline).

In v17 I can now build these without going into Fusion, so adding a video is less of a hassle. (yes, I'd still like to have an easy mediaIn option for Fusion to autoscale play rates for video dragged in from the media pool, but this is a pleasant workaround).
PC Win 10 Pro, 64GB ram; NVidia 522.30; dual monitor; RTX 3080 (10GB); auto/CUDA processing mode; SSD cache, separate SSD for data; Davinci Studio 18.6.6 build

VioletWolf

PostTue Nov 17, 2020 4:58 am

Sometimes it's the little things. My big hurrahs are: the Text Editor, Zoom to Cursor, Ability to preview fonts, and last but not least the bus & track routing in Fairlight finally arrives in the 21st century. Seemingly small tweaks but they remove some serious barriers for me. Bye Bye Adobe :)
Last edited by VioletWolf on Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resolve 17.1.1 | Windows 10 x64 (Latest Updates) | AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
| 32GB RAM |MSI NVIDIA RTX 2070 8 Gig - Driver 457.51 | Refugee from Adobe Premiere / After Effects

Derfla

PostTue Nov 17, 2020 3:08 pm

First and foremost, I want to say that as a new Ursa Mini Pro G2 owner, and a new DaVinci Resolve user, your products are amazing! They work like my brain thinks which is no easy task :lol:

The only thing I question is, why Resolve 17 is not listed as "Resolve 17 Beta" on your main site. It gives the initial impression that it is a normal gold release. It's not until you download it that you realize that it is a beta. I just found this to be odd especially since the software was already being distributed in several iterations as a beta (16.x.x beta).

That being said, I love the new functionality. Number one so far are the FX previews as well as the HDR grading tool. I have only been able to spend an hour with it so far, so I am sure some of the other new gems will be appealing as well.

Robert Arnold

PostWed Nov 18, 2020 2:39 am

I have been posting bug reports, but overall I'd like to say this is an amazing, and amazingly stable, release. Big congratulations to BlackMagic!

I finally got the beta to freeze up today (after a couple of days of use) by really pushing it to its limit. I I put the Fusion Contours generator on the timeline, then started piling OFX on it. First Lens Blur, then Film Damage, then Analog Damage, then adding more Grain. Then I zoomed in and rotated. It looked really cool. This actually played fine (a little slow, while caching) on my machine. It wasn't until I was scrub-previewing various Fusion text treatments to lay on top of this whole mess that Resolve froze up. Pretty impressive!!!! Once I force-quit Resolve and came back in, it was able to play the whole composite fine. It was just the live previewing that brought it down.

Overall performance is really impressive. I am getting real-time playback with full-res premium debayering of 4k RED with a grade AND some TNR. I can also throw Enhanced Better Optical flow on a clip and get real-time playback. Loving it.

(On a 18-core Hackintosh with a Radeon VII)

Almost forgot to mention: As a Nobe Color Remap fan, I'm SO excited that this kind of interface is now native in Resolve. It's huge for me.

Chris Timson

PostThu Nov 19, 2020 10:22 am

Regarding Beta 2, I'm now seeing performance improvements on playback in the colour page. Particularly with complex grades, I'm definitely getting less frame drops.

Another issue I noticed was there was a slight delay when toggling the log button on the mini panel. This seems to have been fixed on beta 2.

It does seem overall a bit more responsive.
i9-13900K - MSI MEG Z790 ACE - 64Gb - RTX3090 - BMD Mini Panel - 200Tb Thunderbolt 3 storage

Trensharo

PostThu Nov 19, 2020 12:11 pm

Startup is a lot faster with the 2nd beta. 1st one took like 40-50 seconds on my machine to boot up. This one is more like 10-20.

Samskihero

PostSat Nov 21, 2020 3:17 pm

I might be alone when I say this but I just wanted to say thank you to the Resolve team for adding in more premade FX such as titles and transitions and camera DSLR effects... I just find this stuff super useful.

edaruffo

PostSat Nov 21, 2020 9:28 pm

I had ZERO reasons to upgrade to Studio, I simply push out my son's basketball videos, pretty simple stuff. But, I felt BM had to be rewarded in some way for putting out such a powerful free version, so I bit the bullet, sent in my $300, and couldn't be happier spending money I didn't need to.

In short, thanks for putting out such a great product. Very, very well done!

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostSun Nov 22, 2020 5:46 am

Thank you for your support. Upgrading to Studio really helps us build the engineering team for greater things.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

2fanatyk2

PostMon Nov 23, 2020 4:26 pm

Wanted to join compliments for R17!

Just installed beta 2. Was a bit reluctant at first, since R16 beta's were quite a rocky road.

Not only project that was hardly working on my (fairly powerful) system is now flying without issues, but after checking all of the new tools I'm amazed. New titles, transitions etc. look way better than old ones (which were mostly unusable due to poor aesthetics), this will save me a TON of time.

Will see about stability, but until now everything seems to work great. Also new features in cut page might finally persuade me into actually using it (until now it missed a lot of things I needed, so I kept working on edit page).

Also, although I'm Studio user, I'm considering another resolve license with fast editor - sent you email with some questions on that one, still waiting for answer.

GREAT JOB guys!

Jim Simon

PostMon Nov 23, 2020 10:46 pm

Maybe I just never noticed before, but when using Smart Cache, 17 now creates that cache while it's trying to play the timeline. I no longer have to wait for Cache to happen on its own.

I like that!
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Chris Duncan

PostTue Nov 24, 2020 10:06 pm

I decided to offer my compliments with my wallet.

I was looking for an hdmi capture card so I could use my camera for a webcam, maybe do a little streaming. Even though I can get a card of dubious quality on the cheap and the ATEM Mini is more functionality than I really need, I chose to buy one in very large part because of Resolve. I bought a HyperDeck a few years back for much the same reason, as well as a Studio license.

I've been paying the bills as a software developer for 30 years, so I know how much work and expense goes into maintaining software like this, which they then give away for free. I've only had a little time to play with 17, but there are a ton of cool new features that I can't wait to work with. For free. Again.

BMD is a hardware company, and they make good stuff with an excellent bang for the buck factor. Even if competing products are close, I buy their gear without hesitation just to support them. What they do with Resolve really does help build brand loyalty.

By the way, if you guys haven't taken the devs out for a few beers lately, 17 indicates it's definitely time. Really nice work, guys.
Chris Duncan
ChristopherDuncan.com
Atlanta, GA

System specs:
Windows 10 64 bit, Xeon 3.2 ghz, 24 gb ram, 2 SSDs (boot & media), Nvidia GTX 980 Ti w/ 6 gb ram
Fusion version 8.1.1 Build 3
Resolve 17.4.2
HyperDeck Shuttle 2, Utility version 4.4

ricardo marty

PostWed Nov 25, 2020 2:22 am

Before the cut page was usable for me but in dR, 17 with the speed editor is more than a must. thanks, guys, and for all the tittle and an fx. The color warper was made for me thanks again. Truly BMD rules.
Viva BMD

Ricardo Marty
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

Josef Pöllmann

PostWed Nov 25, 2020 8:13 am

Thank You so much for the possibility to import our old AVIs since 1996 without converting them.
That saves sooo much time! :)

Keep on going - and stay healthy!

All the best

Josef
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.5 Studio on a HP Z 420, 128 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD, 2x4 + 1x2 TB Media, RTX4060TI 16GB, 551.61 Studio, W10 for Workstations 22H2 - www.muehldorf-tv.de

Crispy

PostWed Nov 25, 2020 6:57 pm

I would also say a brilliant job
For the first time I've completed a complete 30min video with a little colour correction, loads for cuts and most importantly didn't feel I needed to optimise media from the H.264, all without crashing :D

that was with Beta 1 as well, it did have a couple moments catching up and freezing when scrubbing though the transitions preview, but it recovered

That's using AMD FX8370 8 core, 24G 1333 Ram and a Quadro 8Gig card

I don't give praise very often, so top job

YvesArt

PostThu Nov 26, 2020 1:43 pm

Yes I agree, the team deserves compliments, I can, to see the finalized version.
Thank you for your interest in my ART
Yves Lanthier

Jean Paul Sneider

PostSat Nov 28, 2020 12:41 pm

The new relink is crazy good! Really love it. Faster and manageable

Jim Simon

PostSat Nov 28, 2020 5:05 pm

I just saw that 17 no longer adds a string of unwanted numbers to my audio only exports.

YES!!! :D
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jim Simon

PostSat Nov 28, 2020 6:27 pm

Another nice new change. Tracks with Auto Track Selection off appear a darker gray, much like a Locked track.

I like that! A very nice visual indicator.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

stephan007

PostTue Dec 01, 2020 3:30 pm

When I saw all the amazing features in Resolve 17 Studio, I decided to switch from Final Cut Pro (and Apple Motion). I've bought a Studio dongle today and can't wait to play with the Speed Editor.

Congrats to all involved!

tcgathens

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 3:44 pm

I really welcome the ability to "preview" fonts and transitions without having to add them to the timeline.

On the downside, and this is the same with DR 16: it is beyond my limits to figure out how to create custom font titles and also to tweak the animations of the built in ones. I am able to to this intuitively and easily on the industry standard Chyron machines, but Fusion is by far the least intuitive graphics module I have encountered (makes me even prefer VizRT over Fusion).

Jim Simon

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 7:44 pm

tcgathens wrote:least intuitive

Yep. Learning is much better then 'figuring out'. ;)

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... e/training
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

dlt123me

PostFri Dec 11, 2020 4:24 am

Yep, outstanding version update. You guys hit it out of the park on this one. You will soon own the video editing world. :o

Dennis
What you believe, does not change reality.

VioletWolf

PostFri Dec 11, 2020 8:17 pm

Agree! And even the step from beta3 to beta4 is outstanding. The performance increase and overall "stable feel" is more than incremental.
Resolve 17.1.1 | Windows 10 x64 (Latest Updates) | AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
| 32GB RAM |MSI NVIDIA RTX 2070 8 Gig - Driver 457.51 | Refugee from Adobe Premiere / After Effects

David Cherniack

PostFri Dec 11, 2020 10:12 pm

I've been using NLEs professionally since the early 90's. Resolve is my 4th. And of course it's much more than an NLE but of all the praises that have deservedly been heaped on v17, there's a major point that needs to be said that distinguishes Blackmagic's approach to adding new features from the last NLE that I used for almost 15 years: when they add a new feature they go all in. They don't do it in a half baked way. It's fully fleshed out. With my last NLE the developers were extremely talented engineers but the NLE software was not one of the biggest horses in their very large stable. The result was that the arc of development was largely determined by the the marketing department. As a result, new features on release often were half done, seemingly trials to measure how they'd play with expanding the user base. It got quite frustrating at times. There's been no sense of that with Resolve. Grant is a visionary and goes all in in whatever he does. Sure major additions like the Cut, Fusion, and Fairlight pages take time and expand over multiple cycles, but when the Resolve team adds something like the Color Warper, or the HDR Wheels, they're virtually complete and in future cycles will only get fine tuning. This approach to development is as unique as it is revolutionary. And that's not to mention the pricing. The software is the greatest cost per benefit value that I have ever seen in our industry. And I've been around.
David
Resolve Studio latest build
Windows 11 Pro
Decklink Mini Monitor 4k
Intel i9 7960x @ 4 GHz
Thermaltake Floe Riing 360 Water Cooler
Asus x299 Prime Deluxe
64GB 3333 Corsair Dominator ram
1 EVGA RTX 3090 XC3 Card
Areca Thunderbolt3 12 drive Raid

Jim Simon

PostSat Dec 12, 2020 7:55 pm

David Cherniack wrote:The software is the greatest cost per benefit value that I have ever seen in our industry.
I think of lot of their hardware is, too.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

TV2-Sascha

PostFri Dec 18, 2020 12:44 pm

Yeah, finally we can scene detect IN the timeline and not only in the media pool....hooray.
But can we please limit that to clip level or set an IO ?
Doing that over the whole 45 minutes lineline is not really useful.

Jim Simon

PostFri Dec 18, 2020 4:12 pm

Put the clip you want to scene detect into it's own timeline. (You can have more than one. ;) )
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

DietmarLin

PostFri Dec 18, 2020 4:50 pm

Hi BMD, one over the other I am amazed at the quality and pace at which Resolve continues to evolve relentlessly. A thousand thanks for that. Especially I am very impressed with the possibilities offered by the HDR palette.

TomasM

PostSat Dec 19, 2020 10:46 am

Switched from A*obe to Resolve 15.
Version 16 was great, but 17 is awesome!
Some minor quircks aside (and there's a workaround for them) it is AN AMAZING piece of software!

Biggest compliments to whole BMD team :)

braded

PostMon Dec 21, 2020 7:56 pm

After all the problems I had with the early versions of the Resolve 16 final, I took extra precautions with installing the Beta, fully expecting to uninstall and go back to version 16 (it is a beta but I wanted to be nosey).

To my surprise, all the 17 betas so far have been pretty stable, I haven't used many of the new features yet, but so far the core program has been rock solid for me.

Well done chaps.

charlie@camxmedia

PostTue Dec 29, 2020 1:03 pm

No Major issues running DR17. have had a few crashes but nothing major. Love the new features and all round feel.
I've recently come across from Media composer and for what i do its been fantastic.

On a side note was reading about BM and its take over of Da Vinci in 2009. To get to where we are at a price point of about 300 dollars is amazing considering where it started in 2008/9 at over 100k + hardware. figures quoted were up to 800k for a proper setup with only about 80 users worldwide ( i think thats the number i read).

to now have 2.5 million+ users is nothing short of amazing. well done BM.
System Details:
Windows 10 Pro
X299X DESIGNARE 10G
Intel core i9-10920x @3.50GHz
64Gb Corsair DDR4 1066MGz Ram

Monoplan

Happy New Year, BMD!

PostThu Dec 31, 2020 5:17 am

Happy New Year, BMD magic team!

May the New Year bring us all some truly magic moments. We wish you good health and creative inspiration!

arade54

One of the Best Things (and maybe the best) About 2020

PostThu Dec 31, 2020 10:55 pm

Thank you Blackmagic Design for the marvelous DaVinci Resolve 17 update. Even the lite version is remarkable compared to previous updates. Thanks again Blackmagic Design, and to everyone who made 2020 just that much better. Stay safe, stay warm, and see you all in 2021. Peace out 8-)

Jim Simon

PostFri Jan 01, 2021 4:26 pm

Here's some interesting new behavior.

A clip that was Cached in Smart mode remained Cached after disabling V2 which contained a title.

It appears the title was not included in the Cache, so that small section didn't have to be re-Cached when I turned off the title.

I like that! :)
Last edited by Jim Simon on Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Sean van Berlo

PostFri Jan 01, 2021 4:34 pm

Overall it seems very stable and there is a ton of small quality of life improvements, and there's some really big ones (better caching, davinci wide gamut off the top of my head); seriously, for a piece of software that came for FREE with my camera to be this good year after year ... Hats off to you guys.

Diede van Vree

PostFri Jan 01, 2021 11:05 pm

Jim Simon wrote:Here's some interesting new behavior.

A clip that was Cached in Smart mode remained Cached after disabling V2 which contained a title.

It appears the title was not included in the Cache, so that small section didn't have to be re-Cached when I turned off the title.

I like that! :)

Wow. I must see it to believe it, but this would be fantastic news. How about moving the adding one frame to the first clip. Does this still means ReRendering of the rest of the timeline, or is this also fixed?
Windows 10 2004, Resolve Studio 17, Nvidia Studio 457.30
Intel 9960x (16C/32T), 128gb RAM, 1080 GTX 8GB
Mobo: Asus 299x TUF Mark 2

Jim Simon

PostSat Jan 02, 2021 12:18 am

Trimming frames out of a clip didn't generate a new Cache.

Manually adding those frames back also didn't generate new Cache. Resolve just grabbed the Cache frames already in existence.

Trimming a clip to add frames will Cache only the new frames.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Norman Lang

PostSat Jan 09, 2021 11:24 pm

Wow! OK I have been a Resolve user since version 8. Every update and version keeps adding functionality that provides a great solution to editing and color grading. I am even getting to know my way around Fusion these days. Version 17 is the best yet! I didn't think so at first. I initially installed it on my 2013 MacPro with AMD 700's and 32 GB of RAM. I had a few issues with the Beta as is to be expected, but the updates came quickly and it worked. I don't know if it is my imagination or Big Sur, but it seemed a bit sluggish performing some tasks. In fact Magic Mask was so slow on my machine, it was unusable.

Then, I got my new M1 MacBook Pro. What the heck! Another world entirely. Everything works. And it works fast. I have the 16GB version, but from what I hear, even the base model is very capable. And yes, Magic Mask works fine on the MacBook Pro. Of course, you can bog down the MacBook with lots of nodes, layers and effects. Heavy noise reduction will choke most machines, especially beyond 4K. This one too. However, my experience on this laptop is the best I have had editing or grading on any computer. By a lot.

I am very excited about the future of both Apple and Blackmagic products as they move to even more powerful desktops next year. But for the time being I am happy as a clam.
Norman Lang Langproductions.com Boston MA
BMCC - BMPC - BMPCC 4K - BMPCC 6K - BMPCC 6K Pro - MacBook Pro (M1) - MacBook Pro M1 Max 64GB - Adobe CC - Davinci Resolve

julienpier

PostFri Jan 15, 2021 11:54 pm

I have to say. Although there are some bugs that need to be ironed out (It's a beta version so it is expected) I REALLY love this new iteration.

Keep up the good work BlackMagic team. I LOOOOOVE what you are doing!

Christopher Dobey

PostWed Jan 20, 2021 2:42 am

Loving the Resolve 17 performance on Apple M1! Unbelievable that we're able to cut a BRAW 4K timeline with a 6K monitor on a fanless 13" laptop and one cable.

Hope there's soon an M1 17.1 Beta 7 following today's 17.0 Beta 7.
Nikon Z6 | Ninja V ProRes RAW
Resolve Studio 18 Beta | macOS 12.3.1
Apple M1 Max MacBook Pro, 10 core CPU, 32-core GPU, 64GB memory
Pro Display XDR | Micro Panel

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jan 20, 2021 2:59 am

julienpier wrote:bugs that need to be ironed out (It's a beta version so it is expected)

A reminder that if you see new bugs in v17 betas - issues you haven't faced in v16.2.8 or older, please continue reporting them in this forum (and submitting log reports for crashes).

The FAQs can be used to check what information we find useful in a bug report and how some common forum restrictions can be worked around - like spaces in URLs.

Thank you
Shrinivas

bounceHouse

PostThu Jan 21, 2021 3:07 am

An additional thank you for continuing to improve the product (bug fixes especially).
PC Win 10 Pro, 64GB ram; NVidia 522.30; dual monitor; RTX 3080 (10GB); auto/CUDA processing mode; SSD cache, separate SSD for data; Davinci Studio 18.6.6 build

Bruceqld

PostFri Jan 29, 2021 9:08 am

Great work BMD. I am loving V17, and the speed editor is both brilliant and a bargain! :D
Davinci Resolve 18.5.1, Intel i9, 64gb RAM, Windows 11, Nvidia 3090 24gb, RME Fireface UFX, Speed Editor.
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve