How to enable Bluetooth on speed editor?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Adam Werton

How to enable Bluetooth on speed editor?

PostWed Nov 11, 2020 12:56 pm

As above.
I didn’t find any info or guide on how to enable Bluetooth on the speed editor.
——————————————————
Setup: 1950X + VEGA64, 64GB RAM, WIN11 PRO up-to-date.

Jim Simon

Re: How to enable Bluetooth on speed editor?

PostWed Nov 11, 2020 2:07 pm

Do you have one yet? Seems safe to presume such information would be in the manual.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

pmlamont

PostMon Nov 23, 2020 6:51 pm

My editor arrived yesterday and there is no mention of how to connect. I plugged it in to charge the battery and when I unplugged it, the editor appeared in my Mac Bluetooth available devices. I clicked connect and it worked. It didn't appear until I unplugged the USB.

Juan Ugarriza

PostTue Nov 24, 2020 4:02 pm

Hi.

I can't find this in the user manual. It works via USB but I don´t know how to set up the bluetooth connection.

Thanks
http://www.finalcutpro.es

rsevs3

PostWed Nov 25, 2020 2:37 pm

I found that if I didn't have the keyboard connected via USB it would show up when searching for Bluetooth devices in Windows 10.

Mary Green

PostSat Nov 28, 2020 6:47 pm

I am completely stumped on this. I have the Speed Editor, it comes with no instructions, and the literature inside the box tells you to download the manual from the Blackmagic website - it is nowhere to be found - can anyone help please?

Thomas Yee

PostMon Nov 30, 2020 1:30 am

Does anyone know where to download the Manual for the Speed Editor? I'm wondering how to connect with Bluetooth. It currently only works using USB. Please Help!?

John Nolan

PostTue Dec 01, 2020 8:38 pm

Same here, on an iMac running 10.15.7 it doesn't seem to show up in the Bluetooth menu. Hmm.
Resolve 18.6.5 with Speed Editor.
Mac Studio M2 Max, 32 Gb, Mac OS 14.3.1

John Nolan

PostTue Dec 01, 2020 10:31 pm

Okay, I take it back...after charging for a few hours, when I unplug it it connects via Bluetooth.
Resolve 18.6.5 with Speed Editor.
Mac Studio M2 Max, 32 Gb, Mac OS 14.3.1

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Dec 02, 2020 3:10 am

The Bluetooth in only activated once the internal battery is sufficiently charged.

see preferences, system, control panels, for battery level.

Bluetooth.png
Bluetooth.png (361.31 KiB) Viewed 33254 times
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

VioletWolf

PostFri Dec 04, 2020 7:13 am

Can we charge the Speed Editor without connecting it to Resolve? When I got mine yesterday I figured I'd plug it into my phone charger overnight so it would be ready to play with today. But battery was dead when I connected it to Resolve today. It would be nice to be able to charge it separately if that's not currently supported.
Resolve 17.1.1 | Windows 10 x64 (Latest Updates) | AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
| 32GB RAM |MSI NVIDIA RTX 2070 8 Gig - Driver 457.51 | Refugee from Adobe Premiere / After Effects

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Dec 04, 2020 10:02 am

We tried on multiple chargers, the need to be more powerful than many phone supplies
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

VioletWolf

PostFri Dec 04, 2020 8:01 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:We tried on multiple chargers, the need to be more powerful than many phone supplies

Awesome news Peter. Thank you so much for the tip. That's probably it, the battery was flat (brand new) so my phone cube at 2.0 Amps wasn't recognized. I have a 5.0 Amp that I'll try once I drain her again.

Loving the Speed Editor / Cut Page! It's one of those things that you didn't know you needed until you have it. I CAN EDIT FROM THE COUCH.. long dreamt of, now possible! :)
| 32GB RAM |MSI NVIDIA RTX 2070 8 Gig - Driver 457.51 | Refugee from Adobe Premiere / After Effects

VioletWolf

PostSat Dec 05, 2020 8:38 pm

Just following up on my battery question above. I left the Speed Editor on BT for 24 hours and it's still at 89% ... This thing has an awesome battery!

ricardo marty

PostSat Dec 05, 2020 9:41 pm

So when the battery dies what then? Can they be replaced?

Ricardo Marty
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

SILTHW

PostMon Dec 21, 2020 6:49 pm

Note, it shows up as "Davinci Keyboard" in bluetooth.

Paul Kapp

PostThu Dec 31, 2020 12:55 am

Jim Simon wrote:Do you have one yet? Seems safe to presume such information would be in the manual.

An unsafe presumption. Nothing in the manual and a buggy, convoluted pairing process. I’m also finding I have to go through the process every time I start it up. Connect by cable, delete pairing, disconnect cable, re-pair, rinse, repeat. Hope it gets fixed. Otherwise, a joy to use.

VioletWolf

PostThu Dec 31, 2020 2:12 am

Paul Kapp wrote:
Jim Simon wrote:Do you have one yet? Seems safe to presume such information would be in the manual.

An unsafe presumption. Nothing in the manual and a buggy, convoluted pairing process. I’m also finding I have to go through the process every time I start it up. Connect by cable, delete pairing, disconnect cable, re-pair, rinse, repeat. Hope it gets fixed. Otherwise, a joy to use.

HIBERNATION MODE: (No it's not anywhere in the documentation and is causing ALL these reported issues). When disconnected from DR for xxx? amount of time it goes into hibernation. (There's two modes Sleep and Hibernate).

SO, when disconnected for enough time (xx?) it will switch from sleep to hibernate turning off the Bluetooth presumably to save battery.

TO WAKE UP FROM HIBERNATE: Launch DR into a project... it will NOT recognize the Speed Editor because the BT is powered down.. NOW HIT ANY KEY on the Speed Editor.. it will wake up, turn on BT, and DR will recognize it within seconds.

VERY annoying that this isn't documented anywhere. I found it through trial and error after suspecting this was what it's doing.

Please report back here if this works for you...

God knows how many "defectives units" have been shipped back because of this..

Glenn Sakatch

PostFri Jan 01, 2021 5:28 pm

I've had the speed editor for a couple of weeks now, running windows box. Although i'm about 50-50 on it, as much because I don't do most of my editing in Resolve, but in Avid, and I don't do a lot of multicam, so i wish those buttons had a better use... but the trimming functions are awesome. I did have a heck of a time with the BT. It would connect, then disconnect, then connect, then disconnect... If I picked up the unit, it would connect, put it down, it would disconnect...it was crazy. Then I decided to turn off the internal Blue Tooth in my computer, and plugged in a spare external Blue Tooth Antenna that I had laying around. All of the sudden, the connection was rock solid. So in the end, i would suggest that you may need a better BT module in your box.

And with all due respect, the idea of pressing a button on the unit to wake it up seemed pretty obvious to me, as that is how many of your devices wake up now a days.

VioletWolf

PostFri Jan 01, 2021 8:32 pm

Yes, first thing I did was install a USB Bluetooth 5 adaptor ($12) and position it line-of-sight to the entire room. Massive improvement. (This was done with a USB BT adaptor and a USB extension cable so the chip could sit in an inconspicuous place on the desk). BT is a weak signal by design and won't necessarily penetrate walls, bodies, metal computer chassis, etc.

These things may be obvious to some of us, but 60% of computer users do not use BT devices. This is why I share.

jamedia

PostSat Jan 02, 2021 5:49 pm

VioletWolf wrote:These things may be obvious to some of us, but 60% of computer users do not use BT devices. This is why I share.

Not just that 60% of users don't use BT, some environments REQUIRE you to turn off ALL transmitters.
BTW I have yet to find a desktop/laptop computer that has Bluetooth but no USB

There needs to be a Speed Editor Manual. There simply isn't one! The DVR manual covers *SOME* things as regard to the cut page but nothing else.

Nothing on pairing, charging ie what it needs power wise to charge, how long charging takes. size, type and capacity of battery, hibernation mode, how to turn OFF the Bluetooth so it stays off. etc etc The manual should be (like ALL manuals) downloadable from the product page
www.JAmedia.uk
[AMD Ryzen 5950X 16 Core CPU | 128GB Ram | NVIDIA 3080TI 12GB ]
[MB ASUS ProArt B550| C Drive:; 1TB M2 980 Pro | D Drive; 2TB M2 970 EVO ]
[ Win 11 home |Resolve Studio V18.6 | Speed Editor via USB | Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen| ]

Rakesh Malik

PostSat Jan 16, 2021 10:20 pm

The linking in Resolve is definitely buggy. It took a few tries to convince it to pair yesterday evening, and today even though the BT control panel in Windows shows the Speed Editor as "paired" Resolve isn't seeing it.

It's great when it works, though. I hope the pairing business improves though, it's a bit of a drag having to twiddle with pairing it all the time.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

roger.magnusson

PostSat Jan 16, 2021 10:38 pm

I had the same issue. But after moving my USB Bluetooth 4.0 dongle from the back of my HP workstation to the front it is now working as expected.

I’m hoping a Bluetooth 5.0 dongle might do a bit better as it has better range.

VioletWolf

PostSun Jan 17, 2021 9:37 pm

Yes, I suspect a lot/all of these issues are due to the users BlueTooth. After I got a decent BT5 USB dongle and made sure it has clear line-of-sight, all my issues went away. (I used a USB extension cable as well to get the dongle out in the open & stashed in a corner). (See next issue in the next paragraph).

Another BIG issue was having a 2.4ghz wireless mouse going as well (The type of mouse that comes with it's own USB receiver). The 2.4ghz was interfering with the BT signal bigtime. I swapped that out for a Bluetooth mouse and ALL wireless connections in my office became way more solid.

The BT on the Speed Editor is excellent. If you're having issues it's very likely due to one, or both, of the above

bankian

PostFri Jan 29, 2021 12:48 pm

I was unable to see the speed editor when scanning for bluetooth devices. It turned out that my bluetooth dongle was pretty old and presumably not compliant with the latest standards.

I managed to find a more recent one and hey presto it appeared immediately!

jdsglobal

PostTue Feb 09, 2021 5:18 am

BOOM! So many questions answered and Speed Editor working great...on BT and otherwise!

Sorry that some of you have battled to get your units up and running. But I deeply appreciate that you're so generous in sharing those experiences and your successful resolutions. Particularly, in the face of the absence of support documentation.

I've said before, but geez I am so grateful for this community.
2020 Custom-build PC, Intel i9-10900X CPU, 10 Core(s) @ 3.70 GHz, 4.30 GHz OC, 128GB RAM, 2-2TB NVMe SSDs, 20TB Internal HDD Raid, Dual Nvidia RTX 2080 Super 8GB
Two BMPCC4K
Resolve Speed Editor, BM ATEM Mini Pro
Current Resolve Studio Ver. 17.2

md.baseer7

PostTue Feb 09, 2021 9:54 am

after using 1 month (professionally, i mean to say, its my day to day job to make 100 min daily cuts with micro alignment, transitions, effects ) i found this editor very handy and ease to use.

Regarding blue tooth, yes, it looks only charge when DR is open. May be for long duration if its not being used, DR can turn disconnect automatically to save battery.
But the good thing is, even when bluetooth is on, it connect ONLY when you rotate Jog or any key press.

When wired connected, it will not use bluetooth. Even i was not aware that it has bluetooth initially. (for old laptop you need c-type to normal usb connector)

Battery for me last for 7-8 days, i am using for full 7-8 hr daily.

EricJonT

PostTue Feb 16, 2021 8:44 pm

Perhaps my post will help some other user......

I could not get my Speed Editor to connect in DR17 via W10 BT even tough W10 showed the SE Keyboard connected in the BT system panel......the SE worked fine when tethered with a USB-C cable.

After reading many forum posts and looking at my MB's manual for the BT version, I realized I had taken my WIFI antenna off the back of my desktop PC because I was able to use an ethernet connection, having moved my cable modem and router. My MB manual specified the antenna supports not only WIFI, but also BT. Reinstalled the antenna, and DR17 saw the SE no problem.

Many of the comments in this forum put me to thinking about my specific problem. I hope this may help someone else with this issue.

lightweaver

PostFri Mar 12, 2021 9:08 am

Same connection problems for me.
The speed editor only connected via USB on my Mac Pro.
But I just discovered that is was not the speed editor or the BT on my Mac Pro.
I also tried the speed editor on my Macbook, which was on my desk, closed. But the speed editor still connected to the BT on my Macbook. (which only showed when Resolve was running on my desktop machine)
So if you use more than one machine, be sure to disconnect the SE keyboard from the machine not in use.

Sven

jamedia

PostFri Mar 12, 2021 5:27 pm

lightweaver wrote:Same connection problems for me.
The speed editor only connected via USB on my Mac Pro.
But I just discovered that is was not the speed editor or the BT on my Mac Pro.
I also tried the speed editor on my Macbook, which was on my desk, closed. But the speed editor still connected to the BT on my Macbook. (which only showed when Resolve was running on my desktop machine)
So if you use more than one machine, be sure to disconnect the SE keyboard from the machine not in use.

Sven

Doesn't it say all this in the Speed Editor manual.......?
www.JAmedia.uk
[ Win 11 home |Resolve Studio V18.6 | Speed Editor via USB | Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen| ]

Horst Girtew

PostSat Apr 10, 2021 6:29 pm

Same here. It works fine with an usb-connection, but a bluetooth-connection is not possible. There is no device available.
For next Christmas, I wish for peace all over the world, but if that is not possible, I wish for a remote-controlled fire truck.

jamedia

PostSun Apr 11, 2021 11:33 am

Horst Girtew wrote:Same here. It works fine with an usb-connection, but a bluetooth-connection is not possible. There is no device available.

What is worse you can't turn off the Bluetooth :-(
www.JAmedia.uk

Dennis Wiener

PostSat May 01, 2021 3:51 pm

Just recieved mine and charged it this morning. It would be great if the panels setup utility could show things like battery level. Mine had charged up to 99% when I found this thread due to the lack of documentation. Unplugged it and still no sign of it as a bluetooth device. Started Resolve, plugged it in and unplugged it and it then popped up in my Macs bluetooth menu.

Hunter Schultz

PostSat May 01, 2021 10:27 pm

I couldn't connect with my older Bluetooth dongle. Bought a BT 5.1 usb chip, and it works fine.

If I look at my BT connections in Windows 10, I see the SE, and it shows the battery charge state.

The key is your Bluetooth version. Older isn't good.
DR Studio 17.2
Ryzen 3600
ASUS X570 Tuf Gaming
MSI GTX 1070 8 GB / Studio Driver
32 GB 3200 Ram

VioletWolf

PostSun May 02, 2021 7:22 pm

This week I had windows 10 update itself and corrupt all my Bluetooth connections. None of my devices would connect (including Speed Editor) although they all showed 'paired'. I couldn't even get Windows to forget/delete the devices. So I tried adding 'new' device and added each of my devices as new again. It worked, but now I have two copies of each and it still won't let me delete the old ones.

I post this in case it helps someone (because it DID show paired devices). So try again. And as the above poster notes it should be BT5 or newer.

I suspect most if not all of the BT issues are extraneous to the SE

Thanks Microsoft! (To their credit they did get another update out in less than 24 hours).

helfried

PostFri May 07, 2021 11:13 am

Dennis Wiener wrote:Just recieved mine and charged it this morning. It would be great if the panels setup utility could show things like battery level. Mine had charged up to 99% when I found this thread due to the lack of documentation. Unplugged it and still no sign of it as a bluetooth device. Started Resolve, plugged it in and unplugged it and it then popped up in my Macs bluetooth menu.

That seems to be the way to run it (at least on Macs): Start resolve, open a project, plug in the USB-cable, the Speed Editor will show up in Preferences -> Control Panels, including the battery level. About half a minute after unplugging a "DaVinci Keyboard" shows up in Mac`s System -> Bluetooth, already connected.

And all that without any hint in any manual or even YT tutorials. This thread and some trial and error brought the solution. Hurray.
Mac mini (2018) macOS Catalina 10.15.7
3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5
16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro WX 5100 8 GB
Presonus Faderport 8

gunvlog

PostSun Jun 06, 2021 7:21 am

I received my Speed Editor bundle yesterday.

After I installed Davinci Resolve Studio 17.2 yesterday and activated the Key, I was wondering why the Speed Editor was not working.

I am running a HP Probook Notebook with Windows 10 64 Bit.

So I connected the Speed Editor using the supplied USB C Cable to my notebook and as some have mentioned above, the keyboard was visible within Davinci.

I was a happy bunny, until I wanted to edit my first video this morning using the Speed Editor. I charged all night and the battery is on 100%. I disconnected the Speed Editor from the USB C Cable, but the Speed Editor did not turn on, when Davinci started up. So I had to reconnect the USB C Cable.

I then looked in the BT Settings on my notebook and could see the Speed Editor as an available Device, but there was no button to pair the Speed Editor with the Notebook.

So, I then restarted Davinci with the Speed Editor connected via USB C Cable. Then I opend the BT Settings in Win10 und disconnected the USB C Cable and ran a BT device search.

The Speed Editor showed in the seachwindow and I could pair it with the Notebook.
In Davinci I then opend the preference window (top left -> DavinciResolve -> Preferences) and opend the tab Control Panels. I could see the Speed Editor and the battery charge level.

I then clicked on "Save" (not sure this really is neccessary). Now on startup of Davinci the Speed Editor turns on is ready to be used.

I searched the Internet, I searched youtube and I searched the Davinci Speed Editor users Manual.
There is now real information on how to pair the Speed Editor with the different computer systems. I would have wished, Blackmagicdesign would have supplied some sort of Quickmanual, Get Startet Manual of any kind, to male life just a bit easier for new users.
System:
HP EliteDesk 800 G3 SFF | 16GB RAM | Intel Core i-7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz | 3408 MHz | 4 Core´s | 8 logical processors | Intel HD Graphics 530 | HDD1: Samsung MZ7LN128HAHQ | HDD2: Samsung MZ7LN128HAHQ | Windows 10 Professional

jamedia

PostMon Jun 07, 2021 2:03 pm

gunvlog wrote:I would have wished, Blackmagicdesign would have supplied some sort of Quickmanual, Get Startet Manual of any kind, to male life just a bit easier for new users.

+1
www.JAmedia.uk

Jose Spena

PostThu Jun 10, 2021 3:33 pm

Hello Guys.

After update DRS17.2 My Speed Editor will work only with USB, I can see it paired with my MacBook's BT (Work station) Yet, it will be not reconocible by DRS.

This started after download DRS17.2. I downgrade to DRS17.1 (Because that newer version was crashing with planar trackers) and the Speed Editor still not working on BT.

Hope Peter and the team fix this fast.

Cheers
.......Jose Spena.......
<<< Set | Shoot | Repeat >>>

BartReynaard

PostThu Jul 22, 2021 11:02 am

I don't see it even paired.
I can see it on my iPhone but not on my PC (Win10).
It's the only BT device it doesn't appear.
Bart
________
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.6 on Windows 11 Pro 23H2

Prod. Machine: Ryzen 7 64GB 3.54 GHz
Video: MSI GeForce 4060Ti 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x1440 widescreen, 2 x 1920 x 1080 16:9
Audio: Behringer UMC1820
Blackmagic Speed Editor

Mitch Jacobson

PostFri Jul 23, 2021 2:36 am

From Reddit:

magicnightbkk
·
2m
connect it by usc-c cable, press and hold cut + smth cut + source + timeline for a while until you hear Windows removing usb device sound, then release the buttons. The keyboard will restart and windows may recognize it again.

BartReynaard

PostFri Jul 23, 2021 12:50 pm

Bart
________

Blackmagic Speed Editor

stevethornton

PostSat Nov 06, 2021 5:14 pm

Plug in the speed editor and charge the battery. Give it at least 30 minutes.

Then unplug the speed editor.

On Windows 10, Open: Settings, Devices, Bluetooth and other devices (On left) then click on Bluetooth, then click the + symbol which will open the "Add a Devise" window.

Click Bluetooth and see if the speed editor pops up. You may need to tap the space bar on the speed editor to wake it up.

If this fails, close Resolve and reopen.

GHSteadman

PostThu Nov 11, 2021 9:42 pm

It seems all the questions throughout this thread could have (should have) been answered with a simple "Quick Start" guide included in the box.

jamedia

PostFri Nov 12, 2021 7:05 pm

GHSteadman wrote:It seems all the questions throughout this thread could have (should have) been answered with a simple "Quick Start" guide included in the box.

+1

The one that still hasn't been answered is how to turn off the bluetooth.
www.JAmedia.uk

BartReynaard

PostSat Nov 13, 2021 11:33 am

jamedia wrote:What is worse you can't turn off the Bluetooth :-(

Indeed. And even with the last fm update it seems this function there is not. AS FAR AS is automatic, and we don't know. For instance: after a while DRS is off and you don't touch the controller, going automatically off.

You know why I say that?
Because I noticed that each time you run DRS, the controller takes a while before turn it into active mode. Sometimes is even hard to make understand "hey i'm working, wake up" :D Hence I deduce (but I can be really wrong) that's turning off automatically
Bart
________

Blackmagic Speed Editor

jamedia

PostSat Nov 13, 2021 7:03 pm

I use the Speed Editor on USB. We have no wifi or bluetooth running on anything here. Therefore I coudl do wit being able to disable the blurtooth untill I re-enable it by USB. IT will stop any random transmissions.
www.JAmedia.uk

ctdlg-clatique

PostThu Nov 18, 2021 11:06 am

VioletWolf wrote:
I post this in case it helps someone (because it DID show paired devices). So try again. And as the above poster notes it should be BT5 or newer.

I'm using a BT4 usb adapter : no issue at all (hibernate, wakeup, etc)
I've upgraded DR studio to 17.4.2 : no issue !

BUT
I still cannot use it under Linux + bluetooth + DR studio (only usb is working)
Linux does see DR speed editor :

I9, 32gb ram, rtx 3080Ti 3x nvme disks, speed editor.
Davinci Studio 18

RitterRunkel

PostTue Dec 21, 2021 8:01 pm

ctdlg-clatique wrote:
VioletWolf wrote:BUT

Same with 17.4.3

BartReynaard

PostTue Dec 21, 2021 9:36 pm

RitterRunkel wrote:
ctdlg-clatique wrote:
VioletWolf wrote:BUT

Same with 17.4.3

yes nothing "fancy" on 17.4.3. They left the other issues as they where. Probably they need more time so solve
Bart
________

Blackmagic Speed Editor
Next

Return to DaVinci Resolve