Magic mask shuts down PC

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Nick Kurucsev

Magic mask shuts down PC

PostThu Nov 12, 2020 2:07 am

Hi,
I just started trying Resolve 17 and have found 1 issue,
Every time I try and use magic mask my workstation shuts down.
I am running latest W10Pro and latest Nvidia Studio drivers.
My workstation is Dell T7910 with 1300W power supply and specs as in signature.
I have never experienced this before with Resolve or any other program.
I have noticed that both GPUs are working very hard when magic mask is running, I usually get about 20secs of rendering then shutdown.
Thanks,
Nick
DR 16 Studio
Gigabyte X299X Designare Mainboard, I9-10980XE CPU
128Gig Ram Windows 10 RTX3090

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Magic mask shuts down PC

PostThu Nov 12, 2020 3:18 am

you might need a more powerful GPU, or more GPU memory
Try different GPU drivers
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Nick Kurucsev

PostThu Nov 12, 2020 3:40 am

Hi Peter,
thanks for your reply, I do have 2x GTX1080Ti with 11G ram each, surely enough or do I have to look at new 3 series cards??
Thanks,
Nick
DR 16 Studio

Igor Riđanović

PostThu Nov 12, 2020 3:49 am

That's crazy. i didn't even thing that was possible until a few weeks ago when Adobe released the AI assisted face refinement tools. I have a decent workstation but the GPU pulls so much current when these filters are running that it shuts the computer down.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

Nick Kurucsev

PostThu Nov 12, 2020 6:25 am

Have found a half fix, I have to turn off one of my graphics cards off in GPU configuration.
Just trying to work out how much it slows down other areas.
Thanks,
Nick
DR 16 Studio

Christoffer Glans

PostThu Nov 12, 2020 11:50 am

I have a RTX2080ti that's overclocked and I can confirm this happes to me as well. But it doesn't shut down the PC, it just shuts down the graphics card. I have to restart my monitor and it kicks in again.

Not sure if it's because it draws more power or if it overheats, but ugh... performance bugs that risk damaging hardware should not be in public betas. These kinds of bugs can cost people a lot and even if we agree to using beta software, Blackmagic has a responsibility to secure that it's at least safe to use the software.

Uli Plank

PostThu Nov 12, 2020 3:08 pm

I can use Magic mask with a humble Radeon 580. It's not fast, but neither does it shut down or run too hot.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Jason Tackaberry

PostThu Nov 12, 2020 3:35 pm

Christoffer Glans wrote:Not sure if it's because it draws more power or if it overheats, but ugh... performance bugs that risk damaging hardware should not be in public betas. These kinds of bugs can cost people a lot and even if we agree to using beta software, Blackmagic has a responsibility to secure that it's at least safe to use the software.

If your system is shutting down or the graphics card is crapping out, the problem isn't BMD's, it's either Microsoft's or Nvidia's or a problem with the hardware. The worst we can blame BMD for is Resolve crashing. If your system hangs, reboots, shuts down, or bursts into flames, the blame for that is elsewhere.

It's a bit like running some high load process which causes a high draw from your PSU which in turn causes a circuit breaker to trip. Do we blame the software for the power outage?
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 | Windows 10 x64 (21H2) | AMD Threadripper 5950X | 64GB | NVIDIA 3080 Ti (516.94)

Rakesh Malik

PostThu Nov 12, 2020 6:08 pm

It crashed on me when I had an image editor open, but after I closed that and relaunched Resolve, I was able to use the Magic Mask without any problems.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Christoffer Glans

PostFri Nov 13, 2020 9:42 am

Jason Tackaberry wrote:
Christoffer Glans wrote:Not sure if it's because it draws more power or if it overheats, but ugh... performance bugs that risk damaging hardware should not be in public betas. These kinds of bugs can cost people a lot and even if we agree to using beta software, Blackmagic has a responsibility to secure that it's at least safe to use the software.

If your system is shutting down or the graphics card is crapping out, the problem isn't BMD's, it's either Microsoft's or Nvidia's or a problem with the hardware. The worst we can blame BMD for is Resolve crashing. If your system hangs, reboots, shuts down, or bursts into flames, the blame for that is elsewhere.

It's a bit like running some high load process which causes a high draw from your PSU which in turn causes a circuit breaker to trip. Do we blame the software for the power outage?

You do know that there are software viruses that make software cause hardware failure. If the software has bad code it can definitely damage hardware. Hardware and software aren't separate, they work in tandem, and it's the hardware manufacturers job to secure handling software and vice versa. RTX2080ti is not a card that is unknown to Blackmagic, and because Resolve uses GPU heavily, that symbiosis isn't unknown or untestable.

Any time when you can use the current hardware setup, clock and power draw in other software and games at the GPUs maximum without a problem and a new software comes around and shuts the card down, that is definitely on the software side. Why else would overclocking be stress tested? What do you think the stress tests do to the GPU card? Having a software shut down the card is not a sign that the GPU is overclocked and can't handle stress, it's a sign of bad code that shouldn't be in the software.

xpindia

PostFri Nov 13, 2020 10:43 am

Version 17 is working faster and more stable on my alienware 15, nvidia gtx 980, 16gb ram, 2 ssd + 1 hdd.

Keeping my fingers crossed :mrgreen:
Alienware 15 R2 SSDx2 (118 + 512GB) + 1TB HDD, 16GB DDR4, NVIDIA GFX980
Davinci Resolve Studio

Jason Tackaberry

PostFri Nov 13, 2020 2:07 pm

Christoffer Glans wrote:Any time when you can use the current hardware setup, clock and power draw in other software and games at the GPUs maximum without a problem and a new software comes around and shuts the card down, that is definitely on the software side. Why else would overclocking be stress tested? What do you think the stress tests do to the GPU card? Having a software shut down the card is not a sign that the GPU is overclocked and can't handle stress, it's a sign of bad code that shouldn't be in the software.

You're confusing trigger with root cause. Any userspace application that can hork a system may be doing something extremely stressful, but it's the job of the OS and hardware to be robust against userland abuses. If I run an app that BSODs or panics the kernel, the bug is with the kernel (or drivers) or harware. The app may have triggered it, but the blame for the instability lies with one of the layers underneath. If the app "fixes" the issue, at best it merely works around triggering the underlying problem.

And that assumes Resolve is doing something "abusive." It's entirely possible it's using a less used and undertested API or instruction set. For example, AVX-512 instructions generated no end of instability early on, often highlighting insufficient cooling solutions, even though every other workload was stable on the same system. We don't blame the applications using AVX-512 for crashing systems.
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 | Windows 10 x64 (21H2) | AMD Threadripper 5950X | 64GB | NVIDIA 3080 Ti (516.94)

roger.magnusson

PostFri Nov 13, 2020 2:53 pm

It's likely the power supply that is insufficient for the huge power draw of the GPU:s, that's hardly a fault of the operating system or the application.

Michael Grimm

PostFri Nov 13, 2020 5:40 pm

Similar issue with Magic Mask on PC. After making a selection and starting tracking, Resolve locks up. There are no other apps running other than all the Windows background stuff.
i9 10 core, Dual quadro p4000, 64GB Memory
Magic Mask does work on our trashcan MacPro, just quite slowly.

steve oakley

PostFri Nov 13, 2020 6:40 pm

roger.magnusson wrote:It's likely the power supply that is insufficient for the huge power draw of the GPU:s, that's hardly a fault of the operating system or the application.

likewise just because it says 1300W doesn't mean its capable of sustaining that load indefinitely. You'd like to think it can.Good PS's brand new can. questionable quality, age, expect 70% load rating.

when was the last time you vacuumed / blew dust out of your system ? its yearly maintenance for me. if you have never done that, might be time. may also be worth looking into the PS and replacing it, especially if its over 5 years old.
S
mac Studio Ultra 128gb OS 13.5+
TB3 ext 1TB SSD Cache, 1TB SSD Sys
4K 27Dell
Presonus Quantum 2626 TB3 Word clocked 96K
MiniPanel via enet
Behinger Xtouch USB via USB3 Hub->PCIe USB3X4 card
Wacom XL Pro

Christoffer Glans

PostSat Nov 14, 2020 3:29 pm

roger.magnusson wrote:It's likely the power supply that is insufficient for the huge power draw of the GPU:s, that's hardly a fault of the operating system or the application.

Not if the system is stress-tested in different ways and timeframes. Overclocking should always stress-test to find the most stable setup and when that is done, no load should be worse than what that stress-test achieves as the stress test is pushing the absolute maximum performance load onto your system.

marcushorn

PostSat Nov 14, 2020 3:49 pm

how long takes rendering a 20sec clip with a mask applied on your workstations... my counter will not stop counting the rendering time upwards.
Never had such problem with any other project even with resolve 16 fusion with 300+ masks and keyersapplied a 30 min film with h264 only took 2-3 hours so please don't tell me that the Magic Mask has MAGIC requirements.

MacBook Pro 16 2019:
2,6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7
64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
AMD Radeon Pro 5600M 8 GB !!!

thadpeters

PostSun Nov 15, 2020 1:12 am

Similar Problem. Windows 10.

Magic Mask hangs the system, the fan on the computer ramps up an down a lot but nothing is happening.
Just a grey screen. Use task manager to kill it eventually.

In addition rendering from the deliver page has become so slow it is painful.
Now I loaded a project archive backup from resolve 16 (about 20 minutes long 1920 x 1080). 16 rendered in about 8 to 10 minutes, the same project in resolve 17 takes about 45 minutes to an hour.
My settings/paths are the same etc.

I am running an Asus Rog Stryx with an Nvidia 1080 gpu about 2 years old. Never had a problem with resolve 16 rendering or system crashes at that resolution.

Any help?

Michael Grimm

PostWed Nov 18, 2020 5:28 pm

I found a fix that works on my machine. The GPU Configuration was set to OpenCL. We reinstalled CUDA drivers. Now everything seems to be working.

thadpeters

PostThu Nov 19, 2020 2:56 pm

Wow. Thanks Michael.
I could not figure out why everything was so slow. I even uninstalled 17 and went back to 16 to check.
In 16 everything was working and renders were minutes instead of hours under 17.
Downloaded the cuda drivers selected GPU configuration (cuda was an option now) and everything is OK.
Thanks again.

Stephen Buckley

PostSat Nov 28, 2020 11:36 pm

I have similar workstation as the original post. Same thing happens after about 10-20seconds, immediate shutdown. Maybe there needs to be some kind of throttle option in the GPU or CPU preference for these kind of calculations?
Davinci Resolve Studio 18 - Windows 10 Pro - DELL 7910 Intel Xeon E5v3 @ 2.60GHz 12-core Tower Workstation with 96GB ram - GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 TI - 1300w PSU

BobTrim

PostFri Jan 01, 2021 1:04 am

Shuts my system down about 5 seconds after drawing the tool on a face. Have to pull the power plug to reset. This is not a great feature too say the least.

Bob
2009 MacPro 5,1, Mojave, 6 cores, 32 gigs RAM, RX-580 - 8gigs, Intensity Pro 4k, BenQ and Dell monitors. DR Studio.

BobTrim

PostThu Jan 07, 2021 1:16 am

[quote="Christoffer Glans"]I have a RTX2080ti that's overclocked and I can confirm this happes to me as well. But it doesn't shut down the PC, it just shuts down the graphics card. I have to restart my monitor and it kicks in again."

Like others, mine shuts the computer down. Fans stop. The power light on the front of the MacPro is dark. It is, for all intents and purposes.... bricked. Until I pull the power cord. Then I can reboot.

Of course, I can't update the drivers for the Rx580. They are pretty much controlled by Apple.

I think by the responses that represent the randomness of this problem point to code that has some bugs. I can't imagine how the coders are going to fix this, making the magic mask a viable tool... but they are pretty sharp pencils. It will get fixed...hopefully soon. I can sure use this tool NOW.

Bob
2009 MacPro 5,1, Mojave, 6 cores, 32 gigs RAM, RX-580 - 8gigs, Intensity Pro 4k, BenQ and Dell monitors. DR Studio.

Uli Plank

PostThu Jan 07, 2021 4:00 pm

I'm using an RX 580 here without any problem for magic masks.
Could it be a thermal problem or the power supply?
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Ray Argall

PostSat Jan 08, 2022 1:09 am

Hi,

Adding to this post as it describes experience I've been having using Magic Mask i.e.: after making stroke and processing, it will playback for 5 - 10 seconds, then the Mac Pro fans suddenly run at full and it is no longer possible to work in Resolve and computer shuts down. On reboot there is a kernel panic msg. I have attached the report from that.

Note that I usually work in 4K timelines, and even with some heavy processing on clips in Resolve it runs well and I never have fans at full/freeze up like this. This issue is happening on a simple HD timeline and 1080p clip and only if Magic Mask is applied.

I've updated to 17.4.3, I've tried several options as suggested here - turning off one or the other GPU, no change to issue. GPU Processing is set to auto (Metal).

It's over a year since these posts and there's no definitive answer so perhaps it's been solved? For now the best solution is simply not to use Magic Mask.

Thanks in advance if anyone has any other solutions to try.
Attachments
MP fans full freeze Resolve using Magic Mask>kernel panic msg 3.zip
(3.69 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
2019 Mac Pro, 3.3ghz 12 core, 96GB Ram, Radeon Pro 580X + RX Vega64 8GB HBM2, Catalina

Mark Foster

PostSat Jan 08, 2022 11:42 am

BobTrim wrote:Shuts my system down about 5 seconds after drawing the tool on a face. Have to pull the power plug to reset. This is not a great feature too say the least.

Bob

if you dont have the pixlas mod, also a RX-580 can use to much watt on a peak!

then the PSU switched off for safe the backplane
cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

Stephen Buckley

PostMon May 16, 2022 2:21 am

For what it's worth I went ahead and upgraded my RTX 2060 Super with a RTX 3080 TI hoping to utilize the Magic Mask. Immediately shuts down the system without spending more than 5 seconds on creating the mask. Real disappointment.

I understand that some people with modest specs can slowly use the Magic Mask. Even if I could slowly use it would be better than the system just shut down. Hell, I just spent the money for an overpriced GPU. Maybe in the Blackmagic Preferences, there could be a throttle for Magic Mask use?

Specs in the signature.
Davinci Resolve Studio 18 - Windows 10 Pro - DELL 7910 Intel Xeon E5v3 @ 2.60GHz 12-core Tower Workstation with 96GB ram - GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 TI - 1300w PSU

RCModelReviews

PostMon May 16, 2022 3:54 am

I think that Dell has a 1300W power supply so I'd be surprised if it was shutting down the the load of a single RTX3080Ti.

Love to know what's causing these issues because I was *almost* about to install Resolve 18 to have a play but I can't afford to be jumping back and forth if it's too flakey
Resolve 18.1 Studio, Fusion 9 Studio
CPU: i7 8700, OS: Windows 10 32GB RAM, GPU: RTX3060
I'm refugee from Sony Vegas slicing video for my YouTube channels.

Nick2021

PostMon May 16, 2022 4:56 am

Two possible issues.

One 1300 sounds huge and is huge but you need to check if it's all available for the GPU or if it's spilt off. The label should show how the 12V is setup providing how many amps.

The other thing is many of these cards have very high spike draws. Older PSU see that being a danger and shut down. Newer PSUs have been designed to deal with the spikes.

roger.magnusson

PostMon May 16, 2022 9:28 am

Do you have any software installed that creates a virtual display? Another user had this issue while Oculus Virtual Desktop Streamer was installed.

Stephen Buckley

PostMon May 16, 2022 9:14 pm

Nick2021 wrote:Two possible issues.
One 1300 sounds huge and is huge but you need to check if it's all available for the GPU or if it's spilt off. The label should show how the 12V is setup providing how many amps.
The other thing is many of these cards have very high spike draws. Older PSU see that being a danger and shut down. Newer PSUs have been designed to deal with the spikes.

Hey there Nick2021, I'm not really sure what I am to look for regarding the amps. I went ahead and got an image of the PSU as well as the specs. If it isn't too much, could you look at this?

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/6ykAAOSw ... -l1600.jpg

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/en ... cdf23ce58f

Is it possible that even though the machine seems to run otherwise, there could be a malfunction aside from inadequate specs? Otherwise, I suppose I could go with a Thunderbolt3 eGPU case, right?

Nick2021

PostTue May 17, 2022 4:50 am

To me that looks like your 12V is split into multiple 18A lines. That's 216watts. Your card at full power needs almost twice that.

Moving the card to a thunderbolt box might get it to run but it makes the port a potential new bottleneck.

Stephen Buckley

PostTue May 17, 2022 1:19 pm

Nick2021 wrote:To me that looks like your 12V is split into multiple 18A lines. That's 216watts. Your card at full power needs almost twice that.

Thank you for that! At least I have some direction to solve my GPU issue.

Nick2021

PostTue May 17, 2022 3:38 pm

One more thought. You're using multiple 8 pins I think. Make sure they aren't all on one cable.

If Dell was nice they've labeled everything. Pick different PCI cables and see if that helps.

Stephen Buckley

SOLVED: Magic mask shuts down PC

PostSat May 21, 2022 12:28 am

Nick2021 wrote:You're using multiple 8 pins I think. Make sure they aren't all on one cable.

Nick2021, you are exactly right! I had a Y cable which was part of the problem. And the rest was solved by digging around the back panel to reveal the power distribution card. There I noticed that there are three 8pin VGA power plugs, two for CPU 1 (and one of those is an 8pin connector cable being converted to two 6pin connectors which I removed the cable) and then a third 8pin VGA power connector and cable for CPU 2 which I moved to replace now empty secondary 8pin VGA power connector and to be closer to the GPU. That takes care of the proper cabling for my 3080 TI (mine requires only two 8pins).

The second step to ensure no crashes was to add the free MSI Afterburner software and 'undervolt' it (YouTube it if unfamiliar, they walk you thru it, and is very easy), which is recommended anyhow to optimize the power use of the system, especially for when it is closer to idle. But also helps prevent the spiking that can occur which can cause a shutdown.

So, the system probably isn't reaching its full potential, but in a pinch, this got me back up and running.

Return to DaVinci Resolve