Speed editor remapping?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Joshpetok

Speed editor remapping?

PostThu Nov 12, 2020 4:12 pm

Will it be possible to remap the buttons on the Speed Editor like the keyboard?

multifoto

Re: Speed editor remapping?

PostSun Dec 06, 2020 8:57 am

Any news on this? Also looking for the same functionality. I really like editing using the speed editor, however more than half of the pre-mapped buttons are useless for me and would like to add some custom commands and shortcuts.

Jim Simon

PostMon Dec 07, 2020 4:25 pm

One option you guys might try is asking in the Comments section of YouTube videos that have done a review of the Speed Editor. That way you know you're talking to someone who actually has the device.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 7:27 am

No plans to do this, but id happily read feedback on features you would like
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Tomek Sadowski

PostFri Dec 11, 2020 5:40 pm

Especially multicam keys... Do they have any use with source only from one cam?
Resolve Studio 17.2.2 | Speed Editor 1.4 | Win10Pro 20H2 | i9-9900KS | GTX1070 (462.59) | 32GB RAM

austin

PostThu Dec 31, 2020 6:47 pm

The speed editor would earn a permanent place on my desk if I could remap the keys - even if i could use the middle section as a num pad with play/pause as a 0.

I understand not wanting to extend the functionality to other editors - I just work with an 80%, 10 keyless keyboard. and I have to do invoices and whatnot occasionally :)

VioletWolf

PostThu Dec 31, 2020 9:13 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:No plans to do this, but id happily read feedback on features you would like

I would very much like to see the CAM keys have dual function as Up/Down/Left/Right arrow keys for navigation and selection. :)
Resolve 17.1.1 | Windows 10 x64 (Latest Updates) | AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
| 32GB RAM |MSI NVIDIA RTX 2070 8 Gig - Driver 457.51 | Refugee from Adobe Premiere / After Effects

boxofrabbits

PostWed Sep 22, 2021 1:08 pm

Reviving this thread to also chime in on this.
Use the speed editor extensively on set and enjoy the functionality but don't use half the buttons.
Multicam buttons are useless for my use so would love to reassign them to be able to switch between Cut, Edit and Media.
Also would absolutely love to be able to assign a a button to replace clip as that would essentially remove the need for me to use keyboard or mouse at all.

liushunet

PostThu Sep 23, 2021 2:33 am

+1

Chris_Clawson

PostThu Sep 23, 2021 2:12 pm

I strongly endorse this idea!

Why would a user definable key feature be so difficult/expensive an effort for Blackmagic Design to implement?

These 12 center keys are completely useless for my use. Would anybody with 9 live cameras be likely using the speed editor, or would they be able to afford a higher end product?

The Speed editor is nice hardware, but the value in it's use would serve a wider range of customers better if there was some user configuration available.

Zack_W

PostThu Sep 23, 2021 4:18 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:No plans to do this, but id happily read feedback on features you would like

Since I work primarily on the Edit page, I'd dearly like the ability to remap at least some of the Speed Editor buttons. My #1 request would be for some way to switch between "select mode" and "trim edit mode" (as far as I know this is not currently possible using the Speed Editor, I'd love it if someone could show me I'm wrong). I'm constantly switching between these two modes, and the fact that this currently requires my hands to leave the Speed Editor and move to the keyboard makes it impossible for me to rely on the Speed Editor for basic cutting.

Second, less urgent, request: a way to change standard transition duration using Speed Editor on the edit page (this can currently be done only on the cut page). I do this fairly often, and it requires multiple mouse clicks to navigate through Resolve preferences. Also, a way to switch transitions between "start on edit," "center on edit," and "end on edit." Brownie points if there's a way to change sound transitions from "+3db" to "0db" to "-3db."

Third, a Speed Editor equivalent of the keyboard up/down arrow keys for jumping to the previous/next edit.

Dermot Shane

PostThu Sep 23, 2021 7:56 pm

in the color page allow the cam buttons to save/recall mem's Baselight style (long hold = save / short press = recall)
would make for usefull addition for anyone who has Mini or Micro

all functions of the speed editor under the color page are easly enough covered off with a contour shuttle + streamdeck, or MF, or Artist Transport, but speed editor is less costly, and more elegant - if the functionality would match the alternitives

lift360

PostThu Sep 15, 2022 7:46 pm

In theory, I get it. I love resolve (13-year user) and I loved this jog so much I tried to force myself to work in the cut page. After so many years on the edit page, the cut page is just not for me and doesn't jive with my workflow. So I threw the Speed Editor in the closet and went back to my keyboard and Shuttle pro. Sad that its a completely proprietary piece of hardware and completely inflexible.

jamedia

PostThu Sep 15, 2022 8:28 pm

2 years on and re-programming the cam keys must be the most requested feature for the SE?

Not looking to make it work with any other program. Just to be able to re-program within Resolve Studio (make it a perk of the studio version?)
www.JAmedia.uk
[AMD Ryzen 5950X 16 Core CPU | 128GB Ram | NVIDIA 3080TI 12GB ]
[MB ASUS ProArt B550| C Drive:; 1TB M2 980 Pro | D Drive; 2TB M2 970 EVO ]
[ Win 11 home |Resolve Studio V18.6 | Speed Editor via USB | Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen| ]

Michel Rabe

PostThu Sep 15, 2022 8:55 pm

austin wrote:The speed editor would earn a permanent place on my desk if I could remap the keys - even if i could use the middle section as a num pad with play/pause as a 0.

+1
Let us map for instance Printer Lights to the multicam section please.

kinvermark

PostFri Sep 16, 2022 2:54 am

Speed Editor key re-mapping would be a very nice feature, but for now why not just use remapped keys on your regular keyboard for anything you find is missing?

I do this and have a great experience editing on the EDIT page; it is certainly much faster and more precise than using a contour shuttle - which I own but NEVER use :)

The idea that the SE is only for the CUT page is patently false!
Windows 10 laptop. Intel i7-10750H, 32GB RAM, Nvidia 4070 ti Super eGPU, SSD disks. Resolve Studio (latest)

Zack_W

PostFri Sep 16, 2022 3:15 am

kinvermark wrote:Speed Editor key re-mapping would be a very nice feature, but for now why not just use remapped keys on your regular keyboard for anything you find is missing?

Because it slows me down to have to constantly move my hand back and forth between my keyboard and my speed editor. To work most efficiently, I want to be able to leave my hand on the speed editor for the functions I use regularly, and since I work primarily on the edit page this currently is just not possible.

So yes, another vote for the ability to remap keys on the speed editor.

kinvermark

PostFri Sep 16, 2022 3:33 am

Left hand on keyboard, right hand on Speed editor.... I don't see the problem?

A typical example: "top & tail" clips using "premiere" style Q,W keys, while zipping through your timeline
using the SE search dial.
Windows 10 laptop. Intel i7-10750H, 32GB RAM, Nvidia 4070 ti Super eGPU, SSD disks. Resolve Studio (latest)

Zack_W

PostFri Sep 16, 2022 3:57 pm

kinvermark wrote:Left hand on keyboard, right hand on Speed editor.... I don't see the problem?

Too much of what I do with the keyboard either requires keys I normally hit with fingers on the hand that is on the speed editor, or requires two hands to execute efficiently (holding down command/option/control keys while hitting another key). I'm not willing to completely retrain the muscle memory I depend on for keyboard use in order to use the keyboard one-handed! Really, it should be possible for BMD to allow at least a few keys on the speed editor to be remapped so that everyone could more easily integrate it into their way of working with Resolve.

beruangjenggot

PostFri Oct 28, 2022 5:01 pm

+1 or i guess i just sell it and but tourbox instead

Octavian Mot

PostFri Oct 28, 2022 5:16 pm

I agree that for the edit page most of the speed editor functions are available faster on the keyboard (taking into consideration the hand movement to-from speed editor), but the dial is really nice for searching stuff on the timeline.

If I could cut the speed editor in 2 and have the dial on the right and the other keys on the left of my keyboard, that would be cool. Could someone borrow me a smart saw? :)

BTW, there are options to re-map the Speed Editor to midi and even key presses in Python...
Trying to keep it together at mots.us
Taming AI for filmmaking at StoryToolkit.ai

beruangjenggot

PostMon Sep 04, 2023 11:46 am

+1

SeldomSeenKid

PostMon Sep 04, 2023 2:50 pm

Why not just allow to re-map the nine cam keys - maybe only outside the cut-page?
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.
# Threadripper 32 core / 160GB / RTX4000 8GB / WIN10 #
# BMCC / DVR17.4.6 Studio / Speed Editor / Tangent Ripple / X-Touch One / X-Touch mini / Space Explorer / 5.1 HDMI#

jamedia

PostMon Sep 04, 2023 3:48 pm

SeldomSeenKid wrote:

Why not just allow to re-map the nine cam keys - maybe only outside the cut-page?

LOTS of people have been banging on about this for several years in multiple threads..... Since then there have been major version changes in Resolve lots of new feature that a few people want but nothing on key-remapping.
www.JAmedia.uk
[ Win 11 home |Resolve Studio V18.6 | Speed Editor via USB | Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen| ]

carlomacchiavello

PostMon Sep 04, 2023 6:56 pm

Octavian Mot wrote:I agree that for the edit page most of the speed editor functions are available faster on the keyboard (taking into consideration the hand movement to-from speed editor), but the dial is really nice for searching stuff on the timeline.

If I could cut the speed editor in 2 and have the dial on the right and the other keys on the left of my keyboard, that would be cool. Could someone borrow me a smart saw? :)

BTW, there are options to re-map the Speed Editor to midi and even key presses in Python...
Ehm there is a speed editor keyboard for that :-)

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

hessproject

PostTue Sep 05, 2023 9:32 am

jamedia wrote:
SeldomSeenKid wrote:

LOTS of people have been banging on about this for several years in multiple threads..... Since then there have been major version changes in Resolve lots of new feature that a few people want but nothing on key-remapping.

Created an account here just +1 this feature. Bluetooth and portable are huge pluses for the device but it is hard to ignore the wasted real estate for people who use single-cam setups...

SeldomSeenKid

PostTue Sep 05, 2023 10:19 am

Octavian Mot wrote:BTW, there are options to re-map the Speed Editor to midi and even key presses in Python...

On Windows?
# BMCC / DVR17.4.6 Studio / Speed Editor / Tangent Ripple / X-Touch One / X-Touch mini / Space Explorer / 5.1 HDMI#

jamedia

PostTue Sep 05, 2023 11:26 am

SeldomSeenKid wrote:

I have just searched in the Resolve Feature Requests part of the forum and there are lots of people asking for speed Editor key modifications.
When I searched, (12::;22 5th September) it returned 666 hits. Yes, I looked twice to make sure.

Coincidence, or is someone trying to tell us something other than BMD is ignoring the users?

Looking at the ATEM Mini situation, I expect no firmware upgrade for SE or key remapping in Resolve but a Speed Editor Mk2
If this happens, I won't be buying any more BMD hardware.
www.JAmedia.uk

Stewart Hemley

PostTue Sep 05, 2023 1:23 pm

"Looking at the ATEM Mini situation, I expect no firmware upgrade for SE or key remapping in Resolve but a Speed Editor Mk2
If this happens, I won't be buying any more BMD hardware."

Much as I like, really like Resolve and BM as a company, I agree with the above comment. The SE is a genuinely good piece of gear that adds to an already industry-leading app (IMHO) but if BM continue to simply avoid the-mapping requests of several years now and introduce a SE mk2, I will be one of many who will look far more critically at some other bugs that don't seem to get addressed. And if ever a rival NLE/grading app appears that comes close to DR I'll be looking harder at it. Never thought I'd say that.

If it's so difficult to re-map the SE just come out and say so.

jamedia

PostTue Sep 05, 2023 1:35 pm

Stewart Hemley wrote:If it's so difficult to re-map the SE just come out and say so.

It isn't difficult. There is already a keyboard remapping feature in Resolve.
To add an SE remapping section there is fairly trivial compared to many other things they have added recently.
www.JAmedia.uk

SeldomSeenKid

PostTue Sep 05, 2023 4:58 pm

jamedia wrote:
Stewart Hemley wrote:If it's so difficult to re-map the SE just come out and say so.

It isn't difficult. There is already a keyboard remapping feature in Resolve.
To add an SE remapping section there is fairly trivial compared to many other things they have added recently.

I am sure it isn't difficult but maybe this is not the question at all. Here's my perspective*:

BMD is known for their professional built consoles, which work perfect with DVR and nowhere else (and which are mostly not customizeable). All of them are mainly targetting the professional production market. This is where DVR came from as does Fairlight. Many people see the SE as an entry-level device for the one-man producers (or an editor keyboard lite), but I think it isn't. It's targeting the same market as the XX.XXX$ consoloes do. It's purpose is to do quick cuts on set or in the hotel room using not more then a laptop, thus its size and blue-tooth option.
As a concequence, the question BMD must ask themselves (and I am sure they do) is more a stratecig than a tactical one: Do we want to enter the one-man YT producer market with a separate hardware line-up?
In case they'll ever answer this question with yes, they need to come up with affodable alternatives to their Fairlight consoles, a tangent ripple class color panel and they need to re-think the Editor Keyboard and Speed Editor. Maybe doing something like the SE but with lit, re-mappable keys and the option to split the device in two, to place the jog-wheel part to the right and the rest to the left of your standard keyboard. Maybe doing all this as linkable modules is an option, so I can puzzle togeher my own dream console. Needless to say that the semi-pro market will allow for lower price tags as the volume will be higher.
Just my 2 cents...

* I am just talking about video-production equipment. Not about live-production nor cameras.

beruangjenggot

PostMon Jan 15, 2024 4:55 pm

i finally replace my speed editor with tourbox neo. it's much smaller but can do many things and fully customizable.

Return to DaVinci Resolve